PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Movies

Ayen
10-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Here are some movies being released in 2014 that stuck out to me.

I, Frankenstein
The LEGO Movie
RoboCop (please be good)
Vampire Academy (oh dear God)
300: Rise of an Empire
Need for Speed (you gotta be kidding)
Noah (yes, the bible one)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (this I'll see, still need to watch the first one)
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (this I'll also see)
Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return (seriously?)
Godzilla (he's back!)
X-Men: Days of Future Past (please be good)
Transformers: Age of Extinction (because you haven't beaten this dead horse yet)
Fast & Furious 7 (this I'll see)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (wasn't this already made?)
Hercules (The Rock is in it, that's all I care about)
Fifty Shades of Grey (No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO!)
Guardians of the Galaxy (never read the comics, but Amy Pond, that is all)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Expendables 3 (Wesley Snipes, Harrison Ford and Mel Gibson...)
Resident Evil 6 (DIE ALREADY!)
Night at the Museum 3 (seriously?)

What about you guys? Anything in 2014 you're looking forward to?

Shorty
10-22-2013, 01:15 AM
The lineup for next year looks pretty sweet! I was kindof disappointed with film this year, so I can only hope that 2014 will be an improvement.

Movies I am excited for:
300: Rise of an Empire
Almanac - "No details about Almanac were given other than it is intended to be a found-footage project involving the creation of a time machine." That's enough to interest me.
Bears - ! :jess:
Dracula Untold - Probably terrible, but it sounds interesting enough without the trailer to go by.
Edge of Tomorrow - Aliens and Emily Blunt!
Exodus - The story of Moses starring Christian Bale. Probably won't be as good as The Ten Commandments (no one will ever be better than Yule Brynner as Rameses), but I will probably give it a shot.
Godzilla - whooooooooooooooooooo!
Her - Seems like a pretty okay cast.
I, Frankenstein - oh helllll yeah I want to see this! It looks amazing! I hope I won't be disappointed ;-;
Interstellar - Sci-fi fantasy film directed by Christopher Nolan with Anne Hathaway and Michael Caine? Sign me up.
Jupiter Ascending - Really disappointed in Mila Kunis after the last Oz movie, but I will give this a shot.
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - ABOUT GOD DAMN TIME ISN'T IT but wait what the smurf. No Clive Owen? Replaced by Josh Brolin? Losing points.
St. Vincent - Bill Murray, Naomi Watts, Chris O'Dowd! Yes!
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - I am excited for this but I am going to smurfing bitch about Megan Fox being cast as April O'Neil. Not happy!
The Book of Life
The Fault in Our Stars - I've been meaning to read this for some time, so I need to get on it. Willem Dafoe is cast!
The Hobbit: There and Back Again
THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL - THIS IS WHAT I AM MOST EXCITED FOR <33333
Transcendence - A sci-fi thriller in which Johnny Depp will hopefully not just be doing another rendition of Jack Sparrow!
Walk of Shame - Elizabeth Banks!
Wind Rises - Miyazaki!
X-Men: Days of Future Past - Yes! Been waiting for this for so long!

Movies I am not excited for:
Fifty Shades of Grey - bleh
Jodorowsky's Dune - Alejandro Jodorowsky is criminally insane and should be locked up for the creation of The Holy Mountain because it is the worst anomaly of film I have ever seen in my life. Not in an ironic "it's so bad it's good" way, in a "I don't know what the smurf is happening why are these naked women everywhere and oh hey there's jesus and look, goats! but ahhh creepy guy dressed in black wearing a ten gallon hat who shaves the heads of two poor subservient women and what's that there's a tribe of people chasing a midget without arms" way. I haven't seen El Topo, but I can't imagine it's any better. The fact that he is remaking Dune is upsetting because the original (or the version with Sting, whatever) is so awesome. But I saw David Carradine in the description and I don't know if Jodorowsky knows he's dead or not, but if he's in it then I will give it a shot because I love him so.
Legends of Oz - Oz, The Great and Powerful was so goddamn disappointing that it made me sick, and I have no interest in seeing the sequel. I wanted James Franco to do so well so badly but he just looks stoned the entire time and his acting skills are null. Mila Kunis was awful and Rachel Weisz was the best thing about that movie and she was still pretty bad about it.
Maleficent - bleh
The Avatar sequel - bleh
The Hunger Games sequel - bleh

Slothy
10-22-2013, 01:40 AM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - I am excitedf or this but I am going to smurfing bitch about Megan Fox being cast as April O'Neil. Not happy!

What? I was not aware of that. Bad enough Bay decided to make them aliens (because apparently mutant anthropomorphic turtles is less plausible?), but now that? I really don't care about this movie then.

Only stuff I can think of off the top of my head that I'm really looking forward to are the Marvel films. Everything else will have to grab me with trailers.

EDIT: I suppose I'm looking forward to the third Hobbit movie as well. Forgot about that for a minute.

Jodorowsky's Dune - Alejandro Jodorowsky is criminally insane and should be locked up for the creation of The Holy Mountain because it is the worst anomaly of film I have ever seen in my life. Not in an ironic "it's so bad it's good" way, in a "I don't know what the smurf is happening why are these naked women everywhere and oh hey there's jesus and look, goats! but ahhh creepy guy dressed in black wearing a ten gallon hat who shaves the heads of two poor subservient women and what's that there's a tribe of people chasing a midget without arms" way. I haven't seen El Topo, but I can't imagine it's any better. The fact that he is remaking Dune is upsetting because the original (or the version with Sting, whatever) is so awesome. But I saw David Carradine in the description and I don't know if Jodorowsky knows he's dead or not, but if he's in it then I will give it a shot because I love him so.

I didn't care for the original movie. It was decent in places, and probably about as good as it could be for the time, but the ending absolutely ruined it (way to kill all of the worms Paul). That said, I have no interest in a remake. The mini series that came out way back in 2000 is probably the closest we'll get to an adaptation that stays true to the book and that took three damn episodes to do, and still wasn't perfect. If there is a remake I'll probably watch it, but I expect absolutely nothing from it.

Side note: the earliest memory I actually seem to have is of seeing part of Dune when my dad was watching it at home or something. Specifically the worms and Paul's realization of the spice cycle on Arrakis. I've remembered that clearly for much of my life, despite not actually sitting down to watch the movie for the first time when I was in High School.

Ayen
10-22-2013, 02:30 AM
I about thought Avatar was the Last Airbender and was about to say, "How the hell did THAT get a sequel green-lighted?" then I remembered the James Cameron flick.

Shiny
10-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Movies I'm excited for
Interstellar - I'm not a huge Nolan fan, but I respect what he does.

Nymphomaniac - Lars Von Tier is probably crazy, but it makes for exciting and unpredictable films.

The LEGO movie - It actually looks kind of corny, but I always wanted a Lego movie as a kid.

The Amazing Spiderman 2 - I don't like Electro as a villain and Rhino is even worse, but it's a Spiderman film so I will watch it.

Need for Speed - Looks pretty good for a video game movie.

Wind Rises is a 2013 film.

Bolivar
10-22-2013, 04:08 PM
This thread getting me excited for some movies but wtf shorty did you just type that that they're doing to my Dune!?

I actually really liked the Sci Fi series because it was just about as good as a sci-fi/fantasy fan could realistically hope for.

Edit: ok, its a documentary about the failed firat attempt to adapt it. No cause for alarm people!

Shorty
10-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Oh, the movie list I was looking at showed Wind Rises for next year D: weird!

It's a documentary, really? So the adaptation failed but they still wanted to do something with all that stuff so they decided on a documentary instead?

Slothy
10-22-2013, 05:14 PM
A documentary about a failed attempt to adapt Dune? I suppose I can live with that.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Wind Rises might not be localized until next year, maybe. I think it releases in the US in February of next year.

Bolivar
10-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Its about the first attempt, even before the Scott Lynch original. Apparently it's mythical for how ridiculously over the top its lavishness and wastefulness of the budget it was, but some of its techniques or concepts have endured into how science fiction films are made. I'd like to see it just for any Frank Herbert footage, he was a really special guy.

Shorty
10-22-2013, 08:49 PM
I still stand by the fact that Jodorowsky is insane.

Freya
10-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Last hobbit movie comes out on my birthday so I'm pretty excited for that one...

Rocket Edge
10-23-2013, 01:45 AM
Independence Day 2. I'll be interested to see how they come up with an idea to make a sequel. Will be seeing it regardless!

I Took the Red Pill
10-23-2013, 03:26 AM
This list is looking pretty dismal to me. It's mostly composed of movies that are sequels or remakes of movies that were bad to mediocre in the first place. Is this the bulk of big movies coming out next year, or do you (OP) just have a proclivity towards comic book / action movies and decided to list those? I hope it's the latter.

Hercules with the Rock though, I'd defniitely watch that.

Ayen
10-23-2013, 06:57 AM
This list is looking pretty dismal to me. It's mostly composed of movies that are sequels or remakes of movies that were bad to mediocre in the first place. Is this the bulk of big movies coming out next year, or do you (OP) just have a proclivity towards comic book / action movies and decided to list those? I hope it's the latter.

Hercules with the Rock though, I'd defniitely watch that.

I just listed the names of the ones that stood out the most to me from here: 2014 in film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_in_film)

The big movie year though is looking to be 2015.

Quindiana Jones
10-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Things with Willem Dafoe are usually better than things without Willem Dafoe.

Elskidor
10-23-2013, 02:08 PM
I guess I'm really just excited for There and Back Again and X-MEN: Days of Future Past. I'm hoping TMNT will be awesome, but I have my doubts. And I'm sure I will enjoy Captain America, but I wouldn't say I'm on the edge of my seat excited over it like the first two.

Mercen-X
10-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Things with Willem Dafoe are usually better than things without Willem Dafoe.
Meh... even Dafoe couldn't save Spiderman.

I, Frankenstein (fairly sure I'd rather see an adaptation of Dean Koontz' Frankenstein)
RoboCop (if Dredd was good, this should be better, please be better)
300: Rise of an Empire (will see)
Need for Speed (I thought Fast & Furious were the Need for Speed movies)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (should be awesome)
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (not digging Electro, but Jamie Foxx is a good actor)
Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return (maybe)
X-Men: Days of Future Past (I trust you, Bryan!)
Transformers: Age of Extinction (beating a dead horse, yes, but in this age, the horse has been known to rear its decomposing head)
Fast & Furious 7 (this I'll see)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (seeing)
Hercules (God I hope it's good)
Guardians of the Galaxy (I'll cry if it sucks)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (yes, they're aliens... but, well, making mutants from chemical soup kind of spreads the idea that toxic waste won't kill you... EAT UP, KIDS!)
The Expendables 3 (yes, yes, and yes...)
Resident Evil 6 (straight to video)
Almanac ("Found-footage project involving a time machine." So, yes.)
Dracula Untold (sounds interesting. Probably a documentary about Vlad Tepes.)
Edge of Tomorrow (Aliens... I don't know... awful lot of aliens, lately.)
Exodus (So first Jim Caviezel plays Jesus and now Christian Bale plays Moses. Two actors I always mistook for one another.)
Her (straight to video)
Interstellar (maybe)
Jupiter Ascending (so many space movies, really...)
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (I don't know anymore)
The Book of Life (I don't know)
The Hobbit: There and Back Again (will see)
Transcendence (hmm. Interesting.)
Maleficent (will see)
Avatar 2 (so... Stephen Lang and Sigourney Weaver both died in the first film... and yet they're already cast in the sequel... um...)
Catching Fire (will see)

Shiny
10-24-2013, 06:26 AM
Wind Rises might not be localized until next year, maybe. I think it releases in the US in February of next year.

Globally, next year maybe? But I've already seen it screened in the states.

Also looking over that list again...Robo Cop remake is actually said to be good. I don't know about that, but anything is better than the original.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-24-2013, 07:23 AM
I'm probably thinking of something else then. Or maybe it is a global release. If it's already out here, though, then I need to see it.

Jinx
10-24-2013, 01:51 PM
I just want to point out that more than one person has said Catching Fire is a 2014 movie. It's not. It comes out next month.

Shorty
10-24-2013, 01:55 PM
There is a Hunger Games movie listed for 2014 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_Games:_Mockingjay_%E2%80%93_Part_1) and some people might have been confused.