PDA

View Full Version : This Is(n't) My Story

Vyk
10-22-2013, 05:07 AM
My girlfriend and I just partook of GameStop's Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale, to give our systems some old-time love on games that we missed long ago (I tend to shy away from buying used games when a developer could still use some money). And her choice was the White Knight Chronicles Combo

The way this game is set up, you create a character to befriend the main character, and follow this main character on their quest through the game. In a cynical way it reminds me of Tidus and Yuna, and how you play as one, but the story centers around the other. But there really aren't a lot of games that use this mechanic. You either play as a pre-made hero on their quest (like every other JRPG), or you make a character to be your avatar in the game world (like every WRPG)

Recent Fire Emblem games are the only ones I can think of that utilize this befriending mechanic. And I for one am totally for it. It's definitely outside the box for the story to not be your story

I've always thought it was very convenient for every RPG on the planet to presume you are convenient enough to be some chosen one destined to save the world/galaxy; either a character you create, or one you inhabit within the story

And I've often mused what it'd be like to be another character in these worlds, either doing your own thing outside the main heroic adventures, or alongside the main hero who happens to not be you

Some might argue that creating a hero in this sense is a pointless waste of times, and that games should be about the main story and the main hero and if you're not playing as them then they shouldn't exist. But I think it adds investment to the story, and to a main character that you don't create. That way the developer can tell their story, and you can make a character, and everything meshes into one cohesive experience

Are there any other games that are designed in this manner? I've become increasingly curious. And does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of this style? Anyone else love it? Hate it?

Endless
10-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Legend of Mana is exactly that but pushed all the way : all the stories you go through are about all the characters you interact with, but not about you. You learn a lot about some characters, their stories, the story of their people, their interactions, but for the most part, you're just a catalyst to what's happening around you.
And LoM is my favorite game ever. :D

Jinx
10-24-2013, 05:04 AM
I've never played a game like this (barring the aforementioned FFX), but that sounds like a really interesting mechanic. I'd probably have to try it myself to see how much I'd like it, but in I'm definitely interested in keeping my eyes open for games like this. You said the Fire Emblem games have you play the sidekick?

Mercen-X
10-24-2013, 06:40 AM
I've always thought it was very convenient for every RPG on the planet to presume you are convenient enough to be some chosen one destined to save the world/galaxy

FFX had a feature in which you could rewatch cutscenes (and some information you could only see using this feature) via spheres containing recorded memories. You could think of all RPGs as being the record of legends past which a person could via from the perspective of the most prominent character in that legend. Or perhaps, more accurately, to take up the role of that vital character by transferring your consciousness from 4D-space to 3D-space (SOTET).

Vyk
10-24-2013, 09:47 PM
I've never played a game like this (barring the aforementioned FFX), but that sounds like a really interesting mechanic. I'd probably have to try it myself to see how much I'd like it, but in I'm definitely interested in keeping my eyes open for games like this. You said the Fire Emblem games have you play the sidekick?

The new one, Fire Emblem: Awakening, has you create a character (as in, design), who is then integral to the plot, and becomes a super close friend to the protagonists, but is not the protagonist themselves. I've went back and checked out a couple old ones, and there was one that used a similar design, that I believe was not released in the West. But from what I gather, most Fire Emblem games just have you play the game with normal plots, where characters are set. And you as the player don't have much involvement, other than normal. Some of them toy with the idea, where you're like a "tactician" behind the scenes. But otherwise most of them don't fit what I'm talking about. But Awakening did a fantastic job with the idea. But that was the thing about White Knight Chronicles. You fully design a character, to accompany the protagonist

And Mercen-X, I may be too tired right now, but you sorta made my head spin with that. So I'm just gonna nod and agree and take your word for it haha

Spuuky
10-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Dragon Quest V is the pinnacle of this form of art. It's a masterful game in many ways, but its execution of this strategy is the most important part.

Vyk
10-25-2013, 01:12 AM
Oh, neat. I know nothing about the middle-age DQ games. Has that one ever officially made it West yet? Or is it even worth worrying about, if the fan translation is really good

Bolivar
10-25-2013, 03:24 AM
The fanslation is great, it's a totally playable and enjoyable ROM. The DS remake is about as good as it could have possibly been, though. DQV is arguably the best RPG ever made, so the DS version is a very special title if you ever get the opportunity to check it out.

I really liked White Knight Chronicles and how the avatar feature gave you someone to play as in the excellent online multiplayer. You know, so you wouldn't be running around with multiple story characters or anything.

Jiro
10-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Yeah, White Knight Chronicles was interesting as hell. I only played the first one and part of it frustrated me because my character was so fucking passive, but writing a player character into a story where they aren't the protagonist is tough. Still, I love the concept, and do hope it is done more and better.

Ayen
10-30-2013, 07:04 PM
The concept makes me think of Xena and Gabrielle from Xena: Warrior Princess, only you play as Gabrielle instead of Xena essentially. I could get behind that. FFX was certainly a lot of fun. Now I wish there was a RPG where you could play as Gabrielle following Xena around...