PDA

View Full Version : Action Movies

Shorty
10-24-2013, 08:01 AM
List your favorites!

The very first that comes to my head that's awesome is Mission Impossible. I haven't liked any of the sequels, but the first one makes up for all of them being sucky.

noxious.sunshine
10-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Action movies...

Rambo!

crap. I'm totally blanking right now.

The Die Hard movies.. Cuz Bruce Willis is hawt.

Elskidor
10-24-2013, 09:51 AM
The Notebook

Loony BoB
10-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Action is one of those difficult to define genres because these days you can pretty much throw half the films out there as action. I'll stick to the ones that I usually go to for action, which are generally seperated from superhero movies (Batman etc), toy-nostalgia movies (Transformers etc), thrillers (Bourne etc), major Sci-Fi / Fantasy (Star Wars/Trek, Lord of the Rings) and low-explosions, heavy drama (Elite Squad).

Basically narrowing it down to "heroes go around and shoot things and make one liners on occasion"

Demolition Man
True Lies
Terminator 2
Aliens
Taken
Hot Fuzz

Slothy
10-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Terminator 2 is, to this day, the greatest action movie ever made.

Now I want you all to stop and think for a second that there are teenagers in the world who wouldn't believe James Cameron made an action movie that good because he's done absolutely nothing of value since they were born.

Elskidor
10-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Terminator 2 does kick a lot of ass, but the original is also pretty sweet too. Wow...I kinda forgot other Terminator movies existed after T2...man, that franchise took a massive turn around.

TrollHunter
10-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Dredd
Legend of the Drunken Master. (Drunken Kung Fu is easily my favorite style to learn and fight with, and Jackies performance here is just AMAZING)
Die Hard
Ip Man
Tai Chi Zero

Noticing a trend yet?

Spuuky
10-24-2013, 08:49 PM
There are many good "Action" movies in the world, so it depends on which sub-genre of action you want to talk about.

Shorty
10-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Any and all.

Spuuky
10-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Any and all.Too broad. That's like posting a thread saying "what are your favorite objects?"

Slothy
10-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Any and all.Too broad. That's like posting a thread saying "what are your favorite objects?"

That's possibly the worst simile I've seen in a while. If your not sure why it's a matter of scale.

I find it hard to believe that what are your favorite action movies is too broad a question unless you're just being deliberately difficult.

Spuuky
10-24-2013, 10:06 PM
I forgive you; that's because you don't understand the depth of my love for action movies.

If you want a less hyperbolic simile, it's like asking a professional wine connoisseur what their favorite drink is. It's a complicated answer, and the favorite depends on what you're trying to accompany and the specific mood you wish to invoke. Even a less experienced wine drinker might have a favorite red wine and a favorite white wine, and they have nothing in common other than that they are wines.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Everything with Arnold Schwarzenegger. At least a lot of his stuff. Specifically the Terminator movies, Total Recall, Running Man, and Predator.

Slothy
10-24-2013, 10:24 PM
I forgive you; that's because you don't understand the depth of my love for action movies.

If you want a less hyperbolic simile, it's like asking a professional wine connoisseur what their favorite drink is. It's a complicated answer, and the favorite depends on what you're trying to accompany and the specific mood you wish to invoke. Even a less experienced wine drinker might have a favorite red wine and a favorite white wine, and they have nothing in common other than that they are wines.

You're just being pedantic. I don't care how much of a connoisseur someone thinks they are, if you can't at least rattle off a few different answers for the "specific moods you want to invoke" then you're just acting like a pretentious nozzle for the sake of pretending you're better than everyone else on some topic. It's not a hard question and no one is limiting you to one answer. Stop acting like this is some grand, impossible task because it only is in your head it would seem.

Bolivar
10-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Robocop!

Flashpoint, anything with Donnie Yen.

Air Force 1.

And those Nick Cage classics, Face Off, Con Air, etc.

Spuuky
10-24-2013, 10:43 PM
You're just being pedantic. I don't care how much of a connoisseur someone thinks they are, if you can't at least rattle off a few different answers for the "specific moods you want to invoke" then you're just acting like a pretentious nozzle for the sake of pretending you're better than everyone else on some topic. It's not a hard question and no one is limiting you to one answer. Stop acting like this is some grand, impossible task because it only is in your head it would seem.I accept that this is your understanding of the situation.

NorthernChaosGod
10-25-2013, 01:21 AM
I'm not limiting fantasy stuff, so my favorite is Conan the Barbarian (with Arnie of course). After that would be Total Recall and Terminator 2. I fucking love Arnold.

You're just being pedantic. I don't care how much of a connoisseur someone thinks they are, if you can't at least rattle off a few different answers for the "specific moods you want to invoke" then you're just acting like a pretentious nozzle for the sake of pretending you're better than everyone else on some topic. It's not a hard question and no one is limiting you to one answer. Stop acting like this is some grand, impossible task because it only is in your head it would seem.I accept that this is your understanding of the situation.

You seriously can't just name a couple movies that could be considered action movies? I don't even think "what are you favorite objects" is that broad of a question that you can't answer with a few items.

TrollHunter
10-25-2013, 04:16 AM
I'm not limiting fantasy stuff, so my favorite is Conan the Barbarian (with Arnie of course). After that would be Total Recall and Terminator 2. I smurfing love Arnold.

You seriously can't just name a couple movies that could be considered action movies? I don't even think "what are you favorite objects" is that broad of a question that you can't answer with a few items.

Hmmm.... I do quite like toilet paper. And tables are nice too.

Aulayna
10-25-2013, 04:29 AM
Right now? This thread

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/lexiingram/I%20stole%20gifs%20from%20lauren/Buffy/buffypopcorn.gif

Del Murder
10-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Spuuky: pick yourr favorite sub genre, then pick your favorite movies in that subgenre. If you can't do that then go away.

My favorites include:
Die Hard 1-3
The Rock
Face/Off
Iron Man
The Dark Knight
Spider-Man 1 & 2
X-Men 2
Marvel's The Avengers
Terminator 2
Jurassic Park

Spuuky
10-25-2013, 08:54 PM
But I think a far more interesting discussion than "list some action movies" is "what constitutes an Action movie?"

Clearly it's not just "a movie with action," because that's most of them. It's not just a movie with guns, or a movie with explosions, or a movie with a hero. What exactly are we discussing?

Even from your list, Mr. Murder, you put multiple movies which have nothing at all in common, for instance. I can't really see Jurassic Park classified as an action movie (IMDB doesn't define it as one either, not to imply that they are an infallible source).

Araciel
10-25-2013, 08:55 PM
lol @ people not knowing Spuuky by now and just ignoring it.

Anyway, pretty much any of the oldschool Arnie movies.

I love First Blood, but it's less actiony.. never seen the Rambos because I know they'll tarnish it.

Shorty
10-25-2013, 08:57 PM
"what constitutes an action movie" is a different topic entirely and will mean different things to different people. Action is an umbrella genre and can encompass a variety of differences and I don't care what those differences are.

Slothy
10-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Spuuky, like Del said, get on topic or go make a thread discussing the differences between action movies and other movies, and different subgenres of action movies.

Spuuky
10-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Spuuky, like Del said, get on topic or go make a thread discussing the differences between action movies and other movies, and different subgenres of action movies.The topic is "list your favorite action movies" (actually not a discussion topic at all, but never mind). Do you genuinely believe that it is not relevant to the topic to determine what an action movie is, or do you just dislike being asked to think about it?

Since I wouldn't want to derail this thread any further, here are some action movies that I like:
The Shawshank Redemption
Shaolin Soccer
The Princess Bride
The Adventures of Milo and Otis

noxious.sunshine
10-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Omg. Con Air!! And Robocop!

Street Fighter.
Mortal Kombat 2.

Omg. Robin Shou (Liu Kang) is hawt And I wanna have his babies.

Slothy
10-25-2013, 10:36 PM
The topic is "list your favorite action movies" (actually not a discussion topic at all, but never mind). Do you genuinely believe that it is not relevant to the topic to determine what an action movie is, or do you just dislike being asked to think about it?

It could very well be relevant, and I wouldn't object to you trying to start a discussion on the topic. But your initial posts weren't trying to start a discussion because you made absolutely no points, and after that you were just being difficult for the sake of being difficult. If you're not going to answer the question posed in the OP, or offer your perspective on what constitutes an action movie or various sub genres, then you're not contributing to the thread in any meaningful way. So try having the discussion if you want, but how about actually offering up a perspective to begin? Because everyone else seems to have a pretty good idea of what constitutes an action movie without needing to have a debate about it. If you feel otherwise, answer the topic and say why.

Spuuky
10-25-2013, 10:44 PM
It was my desire to know the position of the person asking the question, so that I could answer it most relevantly. It isn't helpful to that end for me to enumerate my position.

I thought of a few more good ones:
Schindler's List
Muppet Treasure Island
Jason and the Argonauts

Whelp, I tried. If you can't be on topic then you can't contribute. ~ Vivi22

Shorty
10-25-2013, 10:48 PM
I will close this thread if anymore pettiness or arguing is posted by any party. List movies or discuss currently listed movies, I don't care.

Chris
10-25-2013, 10:52 PM
True Lies is both funny, and full of action! :D

Shlup
10-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Oooh, I agree with True Lies. I loved that movie when I was a kid.

I also really enjoyed the action sequences in Iron Man 2.

Pike
10-26-2013, 10:31 AM
The Adventures of Milo and Otis

This movie is frickin fantastic. Best movie in the thread so far.

Also if "Aliens" counts, it's one of my all-time favorites.

Mirage
10-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Doing what Loony bob did, because it made sense to me

Terminator 2
Lethal Weapon series
Die Hard series

Night Fury
10-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Oh goodness. I really don't know.

I love cheesy action flicks, but right now I can't really think of one off the top of my head. Would True Romance count? That has action!

The Avengers for sure. Just... so much macho and so much awesomeness in one film! I really enjoyed Skyfall.

James Bond is probably my favourite action hero :)

Del Murder
10-27-2013, 03:56 AM
Dino action is still action!

Shiny
10-27-2013, 06:21 AM
GET IN TO DA CHOPPA

That's my favorite.

Andddd no surprise here: The Avengers and the first Spiderman

Almost forgot Enter the Dragon. I love Bruce Lee. I wish I could reincarnate him and have his children.

Elskidor
10-27-2013, 07:23 AM
There are so many things that can be considered action movies.

Die Hard
Indian Jones
Bourne (All)
Terminator/T2
Face Off
The Rock
Matrix (First film)
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Hero
Wanted
Kill Bill
Taken
Avengers
Nolan Batman 1/2
X2/XMEN:FC
Iron Man
Thor
Cap
Kick Ass
Transformers 1/2 (Yeah yeah, screw you)
Gladiator
Troy
Con Air
Saving Private Ryan
Rocky
Speed

Aulayna
10-27-2013, 07:42 AM
The Avengers
Skyfall
Con Air
Bourne Identity
Enemy of the State

Not sure if Armageddon counts as Action or not.