PDA

View Full Version : Where You Shop!?

noxious.sunshine
10-24-2013, 10:21 AM
IDK. This is probably a thread already somewhere.

Where you grocery shop?

Walmart? Kroger? Food Lion/City, Publix, Safeway, Fry's, Piggly Wiggly, Albertsons?

Yeah yeah, I know. Those aren't worldwide stores ('cept the WalMart). But just an example.

I usually meander over to WalMart. We don't have a Kroger here (which sucks 'cuz I totes have a Kroger Plus Card), but I get sick of going there all the time. So I've been switching it up with Publix.

Publix fascinates the living hell out of me in spite of how much more expensive it is. They have veggies, fruits, and meats that other chain stores don't have. Like ground buffalo (or bison?) and different cuts of lamb. Plus a wider array of organic & international foods & cheeses.. And their deli area is to die. Plus sushi! Plus my Mayfield's ice cream! Plus it's so pretty inside.

But.. Then I remembered poor ignored Piggly Wiggly and how they have their "Pick 5 for $20" deal - meats, cereal, some other stuff and some more other stuff, and I was like "I'll go there today!"... It's so hillbilly ghetto redneck, I swear. They don't sell corn tortillas at all and they have stuff like pig's feet - junk only Mexicans and Hillbillies from 1935 eat. And it's hella small. Like 1/4 the size of a regular chain supermarket. But, I went.

And to my shock and awe, they had what we call "costillas de res".. Or beef ribs. Or I guess what you use to make Korean short ribs.. You know, the cut that looks like giant pieces of bacon with the bones in? Yeah that (Parker calls it bacon anyway, even though it's from a cow).. So I got a couple of packs of that and then loadded up on the 5 for $20 meat - 3 different cuts of chicken, some pork, and some ground beef.. And thank god the guy running the register thought to smell the chicken first.. 'Cuz -that- never occurred to me at all.. And 2 of them were indeed, bad. I was too lazy to go back and pick out more, though, so I just left them off.

But as I was checking out.. I look to the left, were the frozen food section is & can be seen.. And I'll be damned. They have every flavor of my beloved Mayfield's Ice Cream ... And -on sale-. For like $2.75. My jaw nearly dropped. Publix sells that bitch for $6/ 1/2 gallon and they only have like 4 different kinds or so.

So yeah. that's the end of that. Oh. I also wanna go to the farmer's market downtown someday when it's like nice. Fo sho. Or shop at a Whole Foods.

Where y'all shop???

Pike
10-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Safeway and Smith's (local branding of Krogers) mostly. I'm pretty sure the Smith's people know me by name because I'm in there about twice a week. Not my fault it's conveniently on the way home from work!

I try to avoid Wal-Mart because I hate the parking lot but sometimes it can't be helped.

There's an Albertsons nearby but I don't go very often because I'm not a big fan of their selection.

Loony BoB
10-24-2013, 10:51 AM
For groceries? Sainsbury's and Co-op. On occasion, M&S.

Aulayna
10-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Tesco. Occassionally Dunnes Stores, mostly Tesco. On rare occassions M&S.

Spuuky
10-24-2013, 08:39 PM
No one should ever shop at Walmart, because they are a truly evil corporation owned by truly evil human beings. That's without even considering the fact that their products are absolute garbage (even for identical "brands" as other stores in many cases - Walmart gets their own, cheaper, shoddier version).

Shorty
10-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Safeway.

noxious.sunshine
10-24-2013, 10:35 PM
No one should ever shop at Walmart, because they are a truly evil corporation owned by truly evil human beings. That's without even considering the fact that their products are absolute garbage (even for identical "brands" as other stores in many cases - Walmart gets their own, cheaper, shoddier version).

I used to work at Wal-Mart. Lmao .. I agree with this.

Jowy
10-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Produce at my roommate's store or Pike Place Market. Trader Joe's for everything else. Safeway's the closest but I try and avoid shopping there.

Araciel
10-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Wherever's cheapest.

I tend to do what my parents did and make half a day of buying everything on sale at various (three or four) locations.

Elskidor
10-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Kroger or better if it can be helped. I'm a seasonal temp at Walmart right now, and still won't shop there. Got caught telling a customer to go to Kroger, lol.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-26-2013, 04:23 PM
For now, while I'm back with my parents, I don't do much grocery shopping. If I do, it's usually when I'm out with them which usually means Price Chopper or Hy-Vee. While in college and for this summer that I was living in a different house all of my shopping was done at Price Chopper just because it was close.

I don't do it often, but I also really like shopping at the City Market here in KC. Great place to get a ton of vegetables and spices for really cheap.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7914255/Lucky%20Pumpkins%20(2013)/lp_wiogk.png

I Took the Red Pill
10-27-2013, 11:33 PM
claim pumpkin

fire_of_avalon
10-28-2013, 01:55 AM
Dang pumpkins.

I shop at Ingles, which is a regional grocery store chain, and at the local farmer's market when it's in season. Also TJ's produce stand in town.

I hate WalMart.

Miriel
11-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Because I'm totes a yuppy hipster, I do 40% of my shopping at a local community grocery store that's kinda famous in the area for providing things like 5 different kinds of quinoa and a 15 types of apples (organic of course), 30% at Trader Joes, and then 20% at my local Korean market, and the 10% at a major corporate store like Target or Safeway.

noxious.sunshine
11-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Dang pumpkins.

I shop at Ingles, which is a regional grocery store chain, and at the local farmer's market when it's in season. Also TJ's produce stand in town.

I hate WalMart.

I know what Ingles is! Lol I think we used to have one somewhere.

Jessweeee♪
11-05-2013, 12:58 AM
I work at Walmart so I usually shop there to use my discount. Sometimes customers are weird though. They recognize me on my day off and ask me to help, then they realize how dumb they are being and are apologetic and it's awkward. So sometimes I go to HEB instead.

Shorty
11-05-2013, 03:29 AM
They opened up a Winco here! That means red velvet coffee and

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1374880_10202252747945897_955844096_n.jpg https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1383468_10202252748505911_73517698_n.jpg

I am going to run in, prop up the lid with a stick and run back out as fast as I can.

rubah
11-05-2013, 04:29 AM
target when I'm lazy, albertson's when I need a bunch of stuff, sprouts when I'm feeling healthy :D

I bet I could name more grocery store chains off the top of my head than any of you

Spuuky
11-05-2013, 04:32 AM
I bet I could name more grocery store chains off the top of my head than any of youGo for it. Multiple brands of the same chain don't count twice.

rubah
11-05-2013, 04:34 AM
Oh yes they do (because I already typed up my list; you sort them out!)

von's
albertson's
ralph's/kroger
sprouts
bristol farms
fresh'n'easy
harps
price chopper / price cutter
food 4 less
walmart neighborhood market/walmart supercenter
acme
cub foods
hornbachers
frys
farm fresh
smiths
shoppers
rainbow
metro market
mariano's
copps
shop'n'save
pick'n'save
dillons
jewel-osco
king sooper
jay-c
four seasons
winn-dixie
publix
northgate market
el super

Spuuky
11-05-2013, 04:37 AM
I haven't read your list yet but I need to know - what's the cutoff size for a chain? How many stores do you need before it counts?

rubah
11-05-2013, 04:40 AM
big enough to send out mass mailer flyers? idk. I think all of these have more than one location and/or are owned by a corporate overlord, but I haven't tried to verify it. They seem big enough!

are you in the biz, spuuky? :D

Spuuky
11-05-2013, 04:50 AM
Sort of. I work for the IT department of a grocery chain, so I don't actually interact with the grocery side of the business. I don't think I can name as many as you did.

NeoCracker
11-05-2013, 06:26 AM
I would go to Winco, but god it's so far.

I shop at the evil walmart for food.

I get a lot of my music and movies from Hastings or Amazon, and games mostly from Gamestop (Or digitally).

Every so often I'll pick up clothes from Hot Topic, only because they have bitchin' T-Shirts at times (I got my Pon3 shirt there, and it is the most comfy shirt I own. :p).

Psychotic
11-05-2013, 08:16 AM
I used to do Sainsbury's until I moved. Now I'm a Tesco boy. It's only 5 minutes from my house so laziness and convenience win.

Shlup
11-06-2013, 11:59 PM
I do most of my shopping at Ralph's (Kroger) because I can walk there. What I can't get there I get from Sprouts or the local Japanese market. Sometimes I use my grandma's Costco card.

Iceglow
11-08-2013, 06:13 AM
I have options all 5 mins from home. Tesco's, Sainsbury's, Marks and Spencers, Waitrose and Morrisons. Depends on how I'm feeling as to where I buy my food from or what I'm looking for. I tend to shop around to find good deals.

Psychotic
11-08-2013, 04:31 PM
I refuse to believe they would even let you in the door at Waitrose.

Shiny
11-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Trader Joe's and some Korean food mart in K-Town (33rd and 34th street in NYC) so I can get the kind seaweed I like.

Calliope
12-17-2013, 04:59 PM
We do half of our shopping at our local co-op, and the other half at the upscale supermarket chain Spuuky works for. We also do a lot of shopping in bulk to avoid packaging, and we take our own bags/baskets. I dearly try to avoid places like Albertson's, Frey Meyer and WalMart. Occasionally we will go to our local Farmer's Market, or an Indian or Asian grocery. That reminds me: Spuuky, we need to go to the super outrageous high-end grocery store with the massive "targeted vegan things" section before they go out of business. Maybe today?

noxious.sunshine
12-18-2013, 11:20 AM
-_-;

I hate this part of Texas.

All we have in town is Brookshire's & Wal-Mart.

There's Albertsons and some kinda Super 1 Foods discount place, way out in Texarkana, but screw that.

AssassinDX
12-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Tesco generally, or Sainsbury's because I work there and get a staff discount. It varies based on what we need and who are doing the better deals at the time.

Ayen
12-18-2013, 07:10 PM
We switch between Price Chopper, Hen House and Walmart. Walmart because they're cheaper, Price Chopper because it's the closest and I think Hen House is a backup because they're more expensive than the other two, which makes no sense because Hen House is either owned by the same people as Price Chopper or get their groceries from the same place.