PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Way to experience a story?

Karifean
10-25-2013, 10:43 PM
In our current times, there are many different ways in which we can experience a story. They all have their ups and downs, of course. Books can describe better than anything else, but they have no images or sound to accompany. Films and Theatre are quite the opposite. Then we have audio books, which have no visual aspect whatsoever. Finally, from the medium of video games, I picked Visual Novels and RPGs because they seem to me to be the two leading types when it comes to telling a story in a game.

So which is your favorite?

Spuuky
10-25-2013, 10:47 PM
My favorite way to experience a story is to listen to Dan Carlin tell it. So I guess podcast? Maybe that counts as an audiobook?

noxious.sunshine
10-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Omg I hate audio books . I hate them.

I prefer books. I have a pretty good imagination, so I like to envision things in my head while I read.

I also like RPGs.

Shorty
10-25-2013, 11:13 PM
All growing up we're told that television and movies rotted your brain away and left no imagination and that kids should read more. I don't argue that kids should read more. They absolutely should! And sure there is a lot of trash onscreen nowadays, but comparing reading and watching something is comparing apples and oranges. Film absolutely enchants me. It allows me to use my imagination in different ways than required with a book's storytelling. It allows me to interpret a story of someone else's imagination I would not have otherwise considered. And the elements that all come together to create the finished product make it magical to me.

I like reading, but film is my first choice.

Shiny
10-26-2013, 02:45 AM
Audio books for certain stories and if the voice is right. Not many things are worse than being forced to listen to an audio book with a droll narrator. I enjoy listening to podcast, radio people reading novels, poems, or just talking about their life stories. Though it's pretty obvious that I enjoy experiencing stories through film the most. I'm very audio-visual.

Cuchulainn
10-26-2013, 03:00 AM
I love audiobooks.

And I love Twix too

Pike
10-26-2013, 10:21 AM
I write most of the stories I want to hear these days

Jinx
10-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Books first and foremost, then television shows in a close second. I'm not really a huge movie watcher, because most of the time I don't like movies unless they're 3 or 4 hours long. I don't think (these days) films really capture the whole story, or they don't have enough time to tell the whole story, and it's just a half-baked mess. Television gives that extra time that a story needs to really progress.

Jiro
10-27-2013, 06:45 AM
I don't have a favourite, I like to take everything of value from every medium.

Elskidor
10-27-2013, 07:21 AM
I wish this had more than one option. It kinda depends on the mood, but any way works, as long as the story is good.

Psychotic
10-27-2013, 09:57 AM
TV show ;)

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-28-2013, 11:04 PM
I'll go with RPGs. I love being able to interact and make decisions in the quality story telling that's going on. Plus there is plenty of reading text and watching video (cutscenes) so it's like an all in one package.

Araciel
10-29-2013, 05:45 AM
Movies and books are tied.