PDA

View Full Version : Leaving on a Jet Plane

Aulayna
10-27-2013, 06:53 AM
In a couple of weeks I'll be jetting off to California (Anaheim to be specific) and have to spend around 20 hours flying/in airports.

So, when you're on a long trip that involves hanging around in airports or several hours in a pressurized tube hurtling through the air - what do you do to pass the time?

Jiro
10-27-2013, 06:54 AM
Sleep. I am very good at sleeping in strange places. Reading, or handheld vidya is also a viable strategy. Make friends with people around you.

Aulayna
10-27-2013, 07:04 AM
Long car journeys, coach trips or even train rides I can usually go out for the count pretty easily. Planes, I dunno, I find it hard to get comfortable on them. I usually wake up every 30-40 minutes unless I completely sleep deprive myself for at least 24 hours prior. Then I'll be out for the count as soon as my head touches a pillow!

I have been saving the lions share of Pokémon for this trip though. So there's that.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-27-2013, 09:01 AM
If I'm by myself (which I've never been while flying), I'll either read or play Pokemon or some such thing. Usually I'm just talking with the friends I'm flying with, though. Sometimes I'll end up sitting next to someone whose really awesome that starts sharing really interesting life stories that may or may not be true.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-27-2013, 09:51 AM
I've only been to two airports. First time was my flight from Chicago to Vegas, and than my return flight. I was by myself round trip.

Being in an airport and getting in a plane for the first time was an amazing experience. Given that it was my first flying experience I would say I was too excited to sleep. To keep myself busy in the airports I would browse around the shops they had in the terminals while I was waiting for my flight to arrive. Since everything you can buy in an airport is crazy expensive it's safe to say I didn't get a whole lot. Just a little food, no souvenirs.

On my way back to Chicago I met a musician I recognized at the airport! I straight up just walked up to him and said "Hey are you Dan from Kill Hannah?" and he was. He ended up letting me listen to his iPod and letting me hear an unreleased song. We talked music and video games for a bit and he ended up buying me a beer, which is like 10 bucks at an airport. We ended up exchanging e-mails and we still talk to this day. Real cool guy, very humble. :)

My flights were only 3 or 4 hours long, so they weren't too bad. Given that I've only been on a plane twice I spent that time just being excited looking out the window, feeling my ears pop, and relaxing. I didn't really bring anything for fun on the flight. I tried to sleep a little but I couldn't really get in a good position so I just rode it out.

The crazy excitement of meeting an online friend for the first time put all sense of boredom at ease, and I had a great time.

Psychotic
10-27-2013, 09:59 AM
I like to scream "DEATH TO THE INFIDELS!" and charge the cockpit armed with the cruddy plastic knife you get. It sure passes the time, endears me to fellow passengers, and the pilots always find it a good laugh.

noxious.sunshine
10-27-2013, 10:13 AM
You're joking, right, Psycho? Wait. Nm. You're probably not .

I hate flying. I hate it a lot although I find airports to be quite fascinating.

I drink to pass the time. Or sleep. Or read.

Psychotic
10-27-2013, 10:19 AM
You're joking, right, Psycho? Wait. Nm. You're probably not .No, see, the joke is that I'm really just some nerdy white guy and not actually a terrorist, so that's why they all find it so funny. Honestly, try it sometime. It's a real hootin' hollerin' jugs-o'-fun good time.

noxious.sunshine
10-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Last time I flew, I got up to use the bathroom while the seatbelt light was on.

I got in trouble.

Pike
10-27-2013, 10:36 AM
For long plane rides I read or watch the in-flight movies. Or sit around grumpy because I can't sleep.

For long stays in airports I find an outlet and sit around on my laptop computer.

Faris
10-27-2013, 11:43 AM
44 4 44 4

Usually I have my DS, PSP, iPod, Phone, and sometimes a book to help pass the time for long trips. If the airline has movies or whatever I'll flip through those as well4.

I Took the Red Pill
10-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Usually I'm able to occupy myself with sleeping and reading for the majority of it. If I have a particularly long layover I'll find a nice cafe or restaurant, which are obviously overpriced like crazy, order one beer or one coffee, and sip on that beer of coffee for like 6 hours. It's nicer than sitting on the hard floor or in the uncomfortable seats you can find scattered about the airport.

Scout out different departure gates for outlets so you can plug in your laptop. And make sure you have the correct adapter if you're going somewhere with different outlets. Some airports have free WiFi, some don't. If not, it might be worth it to pony up the cash for internet access. I spent $8 on a 24-hour WiFi pass during a 9 hour layover in Istanbul and it made everything a lot better.

escobert
10-27-2013, 02:16 PM
when I flew to Europe and back as well as flying to New Zealand/Australia, I always just slept everywhere :)

Madame Adequate
10-27-2013, 04:49 PM
In airports I'm fine, I can wander around and look in stores and get food and use the Internet and so forth. On airplanes however if I can't sleep I can't usually do much - I never have enough leg room to be comfortable.

I have a 3DS now though so Pokemon should pass the time quite nicely.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
10-27-2013, 06:34 PM
I sleep and I read. Lots of both.

Shorty
10-27-2013, 07:23 PM
iPod (which is now dead ;_____;) and in-flight entertainment. I wish I could read on flights because I'd love to use the time to catch up on reading, but I get motion sick so it's a no-go.

Most airports I've been to have free wifi so if I'm not on a plane, I'm most likely on my phone or laptop. But I can't usually read in airports, either, because I'm too distracted or anxious for my flight.

It's hard for me to sleep on planes unless I'm drugged, which I often forget to plan for.

Shiny
10-27-2013, 10:15 PM
This is what I do:

"BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB SEX BOB-BOMB"

Then I watch a movie.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-28-2013, 08:08 PM
This is what I do:

Then I watch a movie.

No threats of violence there. You're just getting hyped up for Scott Pilgrim Vs The World.

Shiny
10-28-2013, 08:27 PM
This is what I do:

Then I watch a movie.

No threats of violence there. You're just getting hyped up for Scott Pilgrim Vs The World.

Exactly...unless a yell Allah Allahu Akbar.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-28-2013, 08:40 PM
This is what I do:

Then I watch a movie.

Exactly...unless a yell Allah Allahu Akbar.

You can't sit with me anymore.

I don't know how to deal with this. I can't take you anywhere!

Aulayna
11-05-2013, 12:28 AM
So this will be my last post before I leave. If you don't hear from me again then I imagine something bad will have happened and it was nice knowing (most of) you.

Just me and my Pokaymanz in teh sky.

Miriel
11-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Anaheim! You get to go to Disneyland!!!! ARRGGHGHGHGHG SO JEALOUS. Disneyland at Christmas time. Omg. :squee:

On our most recent trip, I watched about 20 episodes of Pokemon. Read a couple books. Fitfully slept. What else is there to do? I usually just load up my ipad with books and movies and they get me through the trip ok.

Shlup
11-05-2013, 01:02 AM
I haven't been on a plane in a couple of years. We went to Boise, Idaho to visit a friend. It was pretty awesome; nice atmosphere, and we floated down the Boise River a couple of times. I love air travel! I'm totally jonsing to go on a trip, but I'm on a multi-year vacation from taking vacations, until the wee one is big enough to either spend a week with her grandma or come along with me.

Drift
11-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Depends on the mode of travel, if it's a plane - the second i sleep i'm comatose till we land, funny story! - one time I flew to HK with my parent no-one could wake me up for love nor money or food, everyone got a bit worried (I was pretty young), slept the entire 12-13 hour plane ride and woke up we started descending to land.
If it's rail/other than i usually read, play games or sleep.

Ashi
11-07-2013, 12:04 PM
The last time I was stuck in an airport for a long time I read a book. But I was so sick of just sitting in the airport I actually just put the book away for months before going back to it to finish it.

Iceglow
11-08-2013, 05:42 AM
I tend to look out the window and chill out (I will literally pay extra to ensure I have a window seat on a plane). I find it calming and helps me chew over things in my mind or develop ideas for writing. Night flights where lights go off for sleeping are fun because you can look at the stars on clear nights and also view the cities by their lights and try and guess which one you're flying over.

Araciel
11-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Get smurfin' tuned on troutty airline cocktails.

Shaibana
11-11-2013, 11:49 AM
i was on my way to sweden, i just landed in Stockholm and i had to catch another flight.
when i 'entered' the airport i looked around to see wich gate was where, and after i checked in my lugage i walked to my gate, but it was such a long walk it just didnt make sense.
once i was at the gate i couldnt find my flight on the information boards. i have seen earlyer that i was delayed a little but now it was completely gone.
there was nobody at the gate except for a cleaner so i asked her what was going on.. she didnt know.

i went back to somebody at the check-in and asked her on wich she said: ' you are at the wrong part of the airport.. you have to be on the other side'

thats when i got a little heart-attack i had to run all the way back!
i think i have ran a small 15 minutes, got through the security check and found out that (thank god) i made it!
the fact that the plane had some delay saved me!

it seemed that there was another gate with the same nr on the other side. it made more sense since it was only a 5 minutes walk and the check-in for lugage was right at front of it.

the person siting next to me on the plane had less luck becaus i was all sweaty from running.

on my way back i had 6 hours between flights.. first i went checking some shops and after that i spend an hour or 4 on the internet.

on the plain itself ive spend some time playing Crisis Core on the psp <3

WildRaubtier
11-11-2013, 12:38 PM
I've changed a baby in an aeroplane bathroom in the middle of turbulence and we both came out of it unpooped on.

yall wish you were this pro

Aulayna
11-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Just got back. Watched many films on the way about. Got a numb ass and arm trying to sleep on the wayback. Fun times.

Madonna
11-14-2013, 01:57 AM
Glad you did not explode in the air and hurtled down to earth in a cascade of flames and spite. Also, glad you had tons of fun. Trips are exciting.

Freya
11-14-2013, 02:06 AM
I need blizzcon deets. I wanna know how it's changed since I went back in 2008. I don't play the game anymore but it's got that bit of my heart still.

Shorty
11-14-2013, 03:22 AM
Yes, you must write about your trip!

Aulayna
11-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Tsch, fine!

http://home.eyesonff.com/blogs/37707/blog1591.html

noxious.sunshine
11-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Get smurfin' tuned on troutty airline cocktails.

Araciel... I think we were separated at birth.