PDA

View Full Version : Router and internet issues.

Quindiana Jones
10-29-2013, 06:50 AM
Afternoon all.

My network has gone walkies. I've managed to bodge a quick fix by assigning my laptop a static IP, thus allowing me to access the internet, but it hasn't actually fixed the problem. It's saying it's a public network, despite origninally being my home network. I can't access my router using good old 192.168.1.1, either, and no other devices can get online.

Anybody got any advice? Feel free to ask any questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Night Fury
10-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Take your router and throw it against the wall 17 times, pour a cup of tea over it and then let a cat shit on it.

That should fix your problem.

Quindiana Jones
10-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Geordies.

Night Fury
10-29-2013, 01:39 PM
:flirt:

Aulayna
10-29-2013, 02:15 PM
On the back of the router there should be a hole that's pretty small. You'll need a pin or tiny screwdriver to insert into said hole to push down a button at the end. (yes, the absurd innuendo potential in that sentence is not lost on me)

Keep said button pressed for a minute.

This will hard reset the router back to it's default settings.

Alternatively you can just unplug it and leave it for around 5 minutes, be sure to turn all the connected devices off too, then gradually turn everything back on one by one. This will perform a soft reset, if that doesn't work then the hard reset is your best bet.

Slothy
10-29-2013, 02:23 PM
On the back of the router there should be a hole that's pretty small. You'll need a pin or tiny screwdriver to insert into said hole to push down a button at the end. (yes, the absurd innuendo potential in that sentence is not lost on me)

Quin should be perfectly equipped for this.

And yeah, that's pretty much it. In my experience, routers are shit, trouble shooting network issues is a pain in the ass, and if you have to do anything other than unplug it or do a hard reset you might as well just shoot yourself because by the time you've gotten it to work you'll want to anyway.

Quindiana Jones
10-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Ah, cack weasles. I really wanted to avoid a hard reset. Softs were ineffective, but I was hoping for some other workaround. I'm in Guiyang, China (i.e. the death of all technological sense), and I very strongly doubt I'll have access to the manual and other things. Guess I'll just have to hope it resets properly, haha.

Also, I can't access the router settings, but in order to complete a hard reset, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to access the router settings. Will a hard reset allow me back through via 192.yadda.yadda?

Presumably my network access is all fine and dandy, so could I not just plug in a new router and have all my problems be sorted? It seems too simple... :shifty:

Aulayna
10-29-2013, 02:52 PM
A hard reset will revert everything back to the way it was when the ISP shipped it. Meaning that once powered up, if you then connect your computer to it, it should provide your computer with a new IP addy and auto-configure everything. It should also mean you can access the router config via the 192.x.x.x

Alternatively if you open the Network and Sharing thing in Windows, then click on View Status next to your connection - this should open a little old school Windows property style window, in here click Details. Then on the window that pops-up the IPv4 Default Gateway (or IPv6 if your connection uses that) will be the IP address of your router. You can then type that into your web browser and it should load up your routers setup/admin page and you can tinker around in there.

Quindiana Jones
10-30-2013, 07:56 AM
Problem solved. New network set up.

Still public, though. How do I go about setting up a secure homegroup without sodding out everybody else on the network?

Spuuky
11-01-2013, 12:10 AM
What exactly are you trying to do? Do you actually need a HomeGroup set up for something specifically?

If it's set to Public, there isn't really a problem unless you are trying to do something and it isn't functioning. Public is the most secure mode, but yes, it doesn't allow Homegroups.

You should be able to change from Public to the more open Home or Work option by just going to the network and sharing center and clicking on "Public Network." Does it not allow you to do this?

Quindiana Jones
11-01-2013, 04:16 AM
Nope, never has. I changed my mind, though. None of us do any sharing of any sort, so a HomeGroup is just completely unnecessary. I'm just... used to having one, is all. xD