PDA

View Full Version : SE has discussed letting Eidos work on Final Fantasy

Pike
10-29-2013, 10:23 AM
"Obviously, Square Enix bought out Eidos a number of years ago, and now we have direct access to American development teams. That's certainly been discussed within the company, the possibility of say, Eidos or maybe someone else to look after or maybe take on the Final Fantasy series.

And we obviously haven't decided anything concrete, but if we find the right team of developers, the right people who really wanted to do it, and we had the right game, then yes, certainly we'd think about it."

News: Square Enix has "discussed" letting Eidos work on Final Fantasy - could be "very interesting" - Xbox 360 - The Official Magazine (http://www.oxm.co.uk/65029/square-enix-has-discussed-letting-eidos-work-on-final-fantasy-could-be-very-interesting/)

What do you think?

Fynn
10-29-2013, 12:32 PM
It would be interesting to see. Considering how scarce the releases have been recently, I would love to see more games coming out more often - one made on the West, one in Japan - that would be awesome as the games would have been more varied. I would have to wait and see how the developers handle the games to get to know if I appreciate the change. Judging by the Silent Hill series, this may not be a bad thing. Yes, the western developers had a rough start, but then they made Shattered Memories and I hear Downpour is pretty awesome too. So why not let us Westies have a shot at FF? ;)

Bolivar
10-29-2013, 04:02 PM
I personally only want the main pedigree of developers working on it, and I just don't feel it would be Final Fantasy without the Japanese sensibilities in the art and music.

But they already had outsiders take the reigns before, with FFXII, and it turned out a good experiment and healthy for the progress of JRPGs with ADB. So I tweeted, why not give them a shot? The game director of Human Revolution proved himself a capable guy and he respects the Japanese architects of this medium. Maybe give it a subtitle, make it a spin off, but it's a project I would like to see.

Slothy
10-29-2013, 05:14 PM
I would honestly be more interested to see what Eidos would do with the series than what people like Kitase would keep doing.

Worth pointing out though Bolivar, that the FFXII team wasn't really a bunch of outsiders at all. Yeah, Matsuno hadn't done a main series title before, but he'd been at Square for years, and Ito directed some of the best titles in the series and was responsible for the best battle system designs the series had.

Bolivar
10-29-2013, 05:50 PM
Outsiders in that up to that point, the core developers of every Final Fantasy could all trace their tutelage back to Sakaguchi, Tanaka, and the other early pioneers at Square. Sure, Ito and Minaba were there, but in their capacity as honorary Quest developers, having collaborated with them on their other Square titles (which were really only re-branded continuations of the Ogre Battle Saga). XII was the first time an outside group, even one within the larger Square brain trust, was given control of a main title FF.

The Deus Ex Director responded to my tweet!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jeffachoo/status/395229830717120512

Edit: and the art director!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jonatchoo/status/395231394864979968

Madame Adequate
10-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Put the Human Revolution team on remaking VII.

Psychotic
10-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Put the Human Revolution team on remaking VII.This, six thousand times.

Jessweeee♪
10-30-2013, 01:13 AM
It would be interesting to see something like that after such a long, long run.

Ghosteses
10-30-2013, 04:18 AM
Is this the same Eidos that burns out its companies? *coughcoredesigncough*

not sure how i feel to be honest >.> i have not yet played a western RPG i like... not that i am aware of xD

Del Murder
10-30-2013, 09:16 AM
I'd love to see a collaborative effort between the two teams but why does everything have to be about Final Fantasy? Can't Eidos work on a new RPG franchise inspired by Square's legacy?

Loony BoB
10-30-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm torn between Murd's perspective, MILF's perspective and Fynn's perspective. I mean, I'm curious, but also don't see why they can't create a brand new powerhouse "J"RPG to compete with FF/DQ.

NeoCracker
10-30-2013, 12:38 PM
You know? I'm am totally on board with this FF VII remake Idea.

Pete for President
10-31-2013, 05:39 AM
Put the Human Revolution team on remaking VII.This, six thousand times.

Seriously why? Pardon me but I really think it's a foolish idea.

The Human Revolution team did an awesome job pushing gameplay and art direction in fresh directions. Why would you let a team as talented as them do just a polish up job?

I would prefer having them to create something new, non FF related I think. If they would happen to do a Final Fantasy I would be intrigued nonetheless, and probably more interested in new ones than I am now.

Ayen
10-31-2013, 06:21 AM
Let them work on a spin-off and if that does well add them to help work on the main series. That what I would do anyway, but I'm a skeptical perfectismlist that has trouble letting other people help me with my workload.

Depression Moon
10-31-2013, 10:40 PM
I agree. I'd just be ok with them doing a spin-off.