PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your Horror?

Jinx
10-31-2013, 03:03 PM
Most people like at least one or two horror movies even if they're not an overall fan of the genre. What kind do you like? Supernatural horror? Possession horror? Mythical (witches, werewolves, zombies, etc) horror? Just plain blood and gore horror?

I really like stuff about possession, because that shit scares me so much! I also like mythical horror a lot, and even though it's not a movie, I love the American Horror Story series. This season is about witches (although the best season/first season was about ghosts).

I don't really like blood and gore horror, or hack-and-slash films. To me it's just gross and morbid! But some people really love that sub-genre for some reason. I did like Saw a lot, but that's also psychological as well.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-31-2013, 05:42 PM
In general, I enjoy psychological horror over everything else. It's hard for me to just pick any one kind of horror movie just because I love horror. Considering Suspiria and The Shining are two of my favorite horror films, I guess my absolute favorite horror movies are ones that almost feel like a bad dream rather than try to be super realistic.

I like most all horror, though. Unfortunately, I've never found a horror movie that scares me. Finding a horror movie that scares me is one of my goals in life, haha.

Shorty
10-31-2013, 08:57 PM
I like my horror in black and white.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-31-2013, 09:12 PM
The Universal Monster movies are probably some of the most fun horror movies to watch. Frankenstein also has the one scene that disturbs me the most, strangely enough; it is when the father is carrying his daughter down the street.

Slothy
10-31-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm partial to psychological more than anything if I want to be actually scared/disturbed. But I like just about anything else. Slasher films hold a special place in my heart. I empathize quite a bit with the villains/monsters and share their love of seeing idiot teenagers brutally murdered.

Elskidor
10-31-2013, 09:45 PM
I don't really like blood and gore horror, or hack-and-slash films. To me it's just gross and morbid! But some people really love that sub-genre for some reason. I did like Saw a lot, but that's also psychological as well.

This mostly. I don't find it morbid or gross, but rather just silly and bleh. Psychological horror really messes with the mind on a deeper level for me than the hack and slash for the sake of shock and awe. Yet, if the story is right, then I do like some hack and slash now and again. AND..if I find a hack and slash that is on a list of the most disturbing or hard to watch films ever made, then I will go out of my way to watch that just because I enjoy testing myself...like Cannibal Holocaust, but it's not my preference.

Spuuky
10-31-2013, 09:48 PM
The Japanese kind.

Shorty
11-01-2013, 12:10 AM

This mostly. I don't find it morbid or gross, but rather just silly and bleh. Psychological horror really messes with the mind on a deeper level for me than the hack and slash for the sake of shock and awe. Yet, if the story is right, then I do like some hack and slash now and again. AND..if I find a hack and slash that is on a list of the most disturbing or hard to watch films ever made, then I will go out of my way to watch that just because I enjoy testing myself...like Cannibal Holocaust, but it's not my preference.

ahaha oh man, I've been meaning to see Cannibal Holocaust for a while. Up against modern depictions of "horror", it may not be as big of a deal as it once was. Still want to see it, though!

TrollHunter
11-01-2013, 04:19 AM
Give me thrillers or psychological stuff.
I'm also more partial to reading my horror than watching it, as my imagination usually makes stuff that wouldnt be scary on film pretty frightening when its in text.

Night Fury
11-01-2013, 04:52 AM
I like a bit of everything really! I love hack and slash sometimes. I recently watched the Evil Dead remake, it was a bit pants but the bit where the girl chopped her own arm off had me in hysterical laughter ahahaha.

I DO like psych horror though, Silence of the Lambs is one of my favourite films and it scares me a lot. Wolf Creek also creeped me out but I don't know if that's because I live in Australia now....

Anything that kind of leaves me with that nasty feeling and taste in my mouth of "oh God, that could ACTUALLY happen. That killer could be out there" are the best ones to scare me with.

EDIT: I can't watch the Saw films. I have this DVD with a Saw advert on it which you can't skip. So I watched it, and it was just so so so so so soooooo tense it made me feel physically sick.

Calliope
11-01-2013, 05:49 AM
The "liberal documentary about how we are screwing the planet and denying our fellow people clean air and healthcare" kind.

noxious.sunshine
11-01-2013, 08:21 AM
I -love- stuff about possession as well. Things that're supposedly "based on a true story"..

Slothy
11-01-2013, 12:28 PM
EDIT: I can't watch the Saw films. I have this DVD with a Saw advert on it which you can't skip. So I watched it, and it was just so so so so so soooooo tense it made me feel physically sick.

I honestly get a bit bored in the Saw movies until people start dying. I have seen them all though, but mostly for the traps.

Psychotic
11-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Campy :jess:

Madame Adequate
11-01-2013, 06:11 PM
The Thing.

Araciel
11-02-2013, 03:36 AM
In space.

Mahad
11-02-2013, 05:13 AM
I hate the sort of horror movie that relies on music for suspense, heads spinning, people walking on all fours on the ceiling, bones breaking and lots of blood; you are just relying on scenery and sound to generate your horror. That's nothing. Psychological horror is better.

Karifean
11-02-2013, 09:29 AM
I love the kind of horror that toys with your expectations. It makes you feel awfully insecure when you feel like you can't predict what's going to happen next.

That and paranoia. If done well, a portrayal of paranoia can be pretty damn horrifying. I remember one recent instance in particular where you saw things through the paranoid person's eyes who eventually kills whom they perceive as a threat and then end up commiting suicide. And it still took me much longer to realize that he was the villain in that story, I legitimately believed his paranoia to be the truth. It was quite the "oh shit" moment when I realized, much later.

Mirage
11-03-2013, 12:58 AM
I like horror movies that are so bad that they are good.

Shiny
11-03-2013, 01:12 AM
I like when horror films hate the main character so basically all of Sam Raimi's horror movies.

I also like pyschological horrors/thrillers like Seven and Silence of the Lambs.

And of course any zombie film. :Jess: