PDA

View Full Version : Racist Right Wing Extremism...In Israel

Cuchulainn
11-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Watch the video the New York Times didn't Want You to See - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6yYiWqmeCM)

Does anyone know how big this viewpoint has gotten? Or why it's not reported? Or why the people expressing these views seem to have completely lost touch with history or self-awareness? Some of the words they use, you could change it to a different language and call it what it really is.

I'm aware that no matter where you go you will always come across a bollock –retractingly, pisspoor and pathetic extremist right wing spouting their nonsense. But of all the people to do it....it's not uncommon for the abused to become the abuser. All the victim needs to do is harden, kick back and forget to stop kicking. I get that. Even in Ireland we had the blue shirts and Mr O'Duffy. They're now the second biggest party in Ireland (Fine Gael, pronounced fina gale) but of course the modern members distance themselves openly from it's beginnings. It's more prevalent to have right wing extremists up here in the North. And they're 99% of the time Protestant loyalists, but they were never one of histories 'shat upon' like the Irish or Jews or Africans, Indians etc. And even then the support within the Protestant Unionist community for them up here in minimal.

My worry is that the pendulum of world politics is swinging back to the right, and in nations beset with economic struggle or actual violent struggles the pendulum will keep swinging that way to disastrous consequences. If it's happening in Israel of all places...nowhere is safe.

Jinx
11-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Too bad Yeru ragequit the forum. I'd like to see what he would've said about this.

Spuuky
11-02-2013, 07:30 PM
He would have denied it with excessive force, just like he did when I brought it up previously.

The reasons it isn't reported differ on the specifics of the extremism you're talking about. In the case of Israel, it isn't reported because Israel largely controls its own media and there are massive, massive lobby groups and huge amounts of funding dedicated to their PR, in Israel, America and presumably elsewhere in the world (although I guess I'm not sure if that exists in Europe or whatever).

In the case of many groups, it's because it's a part of the world "we" don't care about - like a lot of Africa. In the US, it's actually (thankfully) a pretty small minority group that is really extreme, even if they're pretty vocal, although they're still there and still have some authority.

One other problem is that the issues are always complicated. Israeli Jews, for instance, have legitimate complaints about being blown up by Palestineans, sometimes. That makes for easy truths to latch on to if you're extremely fundamentalist, even if the rest of the evidence points to more problems being caused by your side.

Mirage
11-02-2013, 07:51 PM
We hear very little about Israel here in northern europe, I think. I wasn't aware of this situation, and I doubt anything like that would emerge in normal newspapers here.

kotora
11-04-2013, 05:44 AM
Watch the video the New York Times didn't Want You to See - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6yYiWqmeCM)

Does anyone know how big this viewpoint has gotten? Or why it's not reported? Or why the people expressing these views seem to have completely lost touch with history or self-awareness? Some of the words they use, you could change it to a different language and call it what it really is.

I'm aware that no matter where you go you will always come across a bollock –retractingly, pisspoor and pathetic extremist right wing spouting their nonsense. But of all the people to do it....it's not uncommon for the abused to become the abuser. All the victim needs to do is harden, kick back and forget to stop kicking. I get that. Even in Ireland we had the blue shirts and Mr O'Duffy. They're now the second biggest party in Ireland (Fine Gael, pronounced fina gale) but of course the modern members distance themselves openly from it's beginnings. It's more prevalent to have right wing extremists up here in the North. And they're 99% of the time Protestant loyalists, but they were never one of histories 'shat upon' like the Irish or Jews or Africans, Indians etc. And even then the support within the Protestant Unionist community for them up here in minimal.

My worry is that the pendulum of world politics is swinging back to the right, and in nations beset with economic struggle or actual violent struggles the pendulum will keep swinging that way to disastrous consequences. If it's happening in Israel of all places...nowhere is safe.

I'm surprised you're surprised about it. Nationalist extremism ain't new to Israel.