PDA

View Full Version : I wanna be your best friend

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-06-2013, 04:01 AM
So I just called my bff and talked to him for a while. It was nice, we have been a bit disconnected the last couple months.

Tell me about your best friend and your relationship with them. Having a best friend is important, because they are always their best for you. Mostly. Sometimes.

Yeah.

Shorty
11-06-2013, 04:33 AM
I have different classes of what I consider best friends, I guess. Real-life best friends and online best friends are different to me because our relationships are different.

My best best friend I've known for about twelve years or so. We met in junior high, and I had recently changed boundaries for the school district restrictions and didn't really have many friends, although I knew a lot of the people because I grew up in the area. It was just a matter of having been away for several crucial years in school and not being a part of the neighborhood growing up. I was friends with a particular girl, though, who one day this pack of kids dressed in black approached and started gab gab gabbing away. They all grew up in the same neighborhood, I guess, and because she was friends with them, I integrated in the group and thus met my best friend, Elizabeth. I bounced around to a lot of different groups in school, but the goth group (which later became the stoner group) was what I would consider my "home base". We hung out in a specific wing of the school we dubbed The Batcave because we wanted to pretend we were batcavers from the eighties. :jess: High school was awesome. Later in life after high school, we both moved to Arizona at separate times and spent a few years there together. She lived there when she was very young and it was pure coincidence that we both moved to the same area. She's since moved back to Utah and I've gone to visit her there and was just recently her maid of honor in her wedding. I love her to death and would do anything for her.

Then there are my online best friends who I feel know me the best and who I am through years of online interactions during difficult times in my life and through my livejournal, which is and has been a constant source of output from the crazy in my head. Daniel, who I have been close with the longest and who I sometimes want to kill but I know he will always give me good advice and be honest with me and make time for me if I need him. Pontus, who probably knows me and my story better than anyone and despite our history and recent breakup, I am thankful that we still remain close. There are a couple of other people who know who they are and I hope they know how important they are to me.

My sister and I are very also very close, but I don't know if "family best friends" count.

I can't name just one! All of these people are important to me in different ways.

Scotty_ffgamer
11-06-2013, 06:37 AM
This is a hard question for me to answer right now as it feels like I don't really have any best friends at the moment. Almost all of my friends have sort of drifted away over the years. There are a couple of friends I'll mention that I'd probably put in that category no matter how much we drift away.

I have one friend who is younger than me who I've practically been friends with since the day she was born. Her dad and mine coached soccer together for at least ten years, coaching my brother's team and then mine. Anyways, she (and her family) practically became like family to me, and their house was practically a second home for me. We would spend our childhood playing silly pretend games where she was a princess and I... was usually the bad guy. We'd also watch Titan A.E. and Jumanji a lot. They were good times. She was someone I always felt I could talk to all throughout elementary, middle, and high school, and we'd keep in touch while I was in college as well. The past couple of years, though, she has slowly answered any phone calls/texts/messages less and less to the point where I don't think I've had a real conversation with her for about a year now. This was even the first year she didn't call on my birthday to talk. Anyways, I'm sure we'll catch up again eventually, it's just sad to just not hear from my best friend of 22 years anymore.

I also had some good online friends back on an old forum I used to be on. We all got pretty close over the 7 or so years we all kept in contact, but they just kind of all disappeared too. I still hear from one of them every once in a while, but the closeness we once had definitely doesn't feel present anymore. Anyways, they probably knew me better than most all of my offline friends.

There are some others, but I probably shouldn't write anymore.

11-07-2013, 02:53 AM
wtf. Did I make this thread? Huh.

My best friend in elementary and middle school isn't really my best friend anymore, but I do still consider him to be one of the most important people in my life. We don't talk often, but when we do it is like nothing ever changed between us.

And then I had a new best friend in high school, because I went somewhere else. But once we joined our respective branches of the military, me the USMC and him the Army, we grew apart. And he got PTSD and hid himself in a hole and is incredibly hard to get a hold of. The emotional connection we used to have just isn't there anymore. Is sad.

I had another really good friend in high school who is my current bestie. He joined the Marines a year or so after me, but did something completely differenst, so I rarely saw him. But when I did he was always reliable and just the best friend he could be.

It was him I was on the phone machine with.

Shorty
11-07-2013, 03:01 AM
Do you... not remember making this thread?

11-07-2013, 03:05 AM
I have no memory of making this thread. I literally just found it by accident.

noxious.sunshine
11-07-2013, 04:14 AM
I have no friends other than like 1 or 2 IRL that I never get to see cuz they're an hour away.

I had a best friend for 16 years.. Since we were 12. and we both moved far away (I moved 3.5 hrs to Nashville, she wound up moving to Phoenix a yr later), but no matter where we were, we've always found each other again and it'd always be like no time has passed at all.

We hadn't talked in awhile when I moved to TX and I msged her on Facebook several times, but no response.

Then I came back to TN, then my mom called and said that her husband had died (it was horrible), so I added her to -my- FB account, and sent her several messages, still no response. I even wrote on her wall and she deleted it, though she kept comments and things that my mom wrote. It may seem selfish, but I finally just blocked her after that.

So I really have no one anymore. I have friends online and stuff, but IRL, I'm alone. And I rly don't even have much of a family anymore either. I have a cat and a kid that doesn't even live w me. Yay winning.

Shlup
11-07-2013, 04:18 AM
I have two best friends, but they both live pretty far from me. One has been my BFF since I was born; our parents lived together when we were born. We both have kids now, so she's my "mommy" friend. My other BFF and I have been friends since 7th grade. She's a childfree hippie, so she's my "fun" friend.

I hate that they live far away. :(

Pike
11-07-2013, 10:29 AM
My best friend is one Mister Adequate; we have been friends for about a decade now and we've pretty much always had matching taste in games and interests and what we want out of life. But because we are stupid we decided to ~date other people~ for seven years! During those seven years we were still best friends though, often going to each other for relationship advice and so forth and just comfortably talking about any topic in the world. I even joined EoFF because I found out that Huxley joined and I wanted to follow him everywhere (hence how close our join dates are).

FINALLY we reached a point where we were both single at the same time and within about three days we were dating. :p Since then there have been many visits and a lot of plans and he's the only person I am truly comfortable with. :heart:

Loony BoB
11-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Like Sarah, I have different kinds of best friends.

Wife: The one and only, easily the person in this world who I'm closest to and love the most. I consider 'wife' 'girlfriend' etc. different to 'best friend' because they're beyond that kind of thing, and when people tend to ask me who my best friend it's more often than not assumed by both parties that they mean "I mean, aside from Danielle." :p So, with the rest of this post typed out with that assumption... Sarah is probably my best friend overall. I look forward to catching up with her all the time, even if it doesn't happen as often as it should. She knows me, she understands me (most of the time), she drags things out of me that I wouldn't normally like to talk about with absolute ease. She asks all the right questions and is there for me when I'm in need. Well. Online, anyway. :p And recently we met and it was pretty much just awesome, even if I was trying to balance spending time with her alongside spending time with about a hundred other people...

Beyond Sarah, there are certain friends I am particularly close to in all kinds of different way. Nicky, Dan, Tara... I guess there's that one guy who was Best Man at my wedding, too. I have photographic evidence of the love I have for that bugger. xD Seriously, all of these guys and girls are fantastic to me and I can probably count them amongst the people I'm closest to in this world, one way or another.

Best Edinburgh based friend outside of Danielle? Very tricky. Possibly Stu or Kat. You guys don't know 'em. All my coolest friends left my workplace over the past year or two, and most of the remaining people are considerably older than myself, so we don't hang out much unless there's a good reason. We all get along fantastically at work, though, and I get along well with all Danielle's friends who are often over at our place, so I'm happy with my social life. Just lacking that fantastically awesome local Edinburgh pal-who-isn't-my-wife.

Araciel
11-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Every best friend I've had since high school hasn't considered me their best. Honestly throughout life, most of my best friends have been my only friend at that time.

:(

theundeadhero
11-07-2013, 11:37 PM
My best friend and I make each other laugh and tell each other secrets. We also like to do stupid things in front of strangers or people watch and talk about them. I haven't seen her in four whole days but Tuesday night we texted back and forth for four hours, so that's okay. It wasn't the first time we've done that. I'll see her tomorrow.

Hollycat
11-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Anyone wanna be my best friend? I don't really think I have one. :(

Iceglow
11-08-2013, 05:26 AM
I have multiple best friends, from various parts of my life. The best friend of mine you all know is clearly Paul... he's utterly awesome and the fact that when shit gets real he's there is always a welcome facility.

Outside of EoFF I have Robyn and Owen who are my best friends from my current work place. They're awesome as hell Robyn is like the girl next door in a sense (she's a hottie too). Owen is like a little brother, he's my partner in crime and we get up to way to many crazy nights out after work.

Freya
11-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Justy is my best friend. We've been friends for about 7 years and I can tell him anything. When he went to Japan it put a strain cause of timezones but I can still pick up the phone and talk to him or skype him and it's like nothing has changed. I can still talk to just as I did before. Like there wasn't that gap. It's nice.

Agent Proto
11-08-2013, 03:13 PM
I... don't have anyone I can call a best friend. :( The closest I have to one is my brother, but even he has a best friend other than me.

Jinx
11-08-2013, 03:20 PM
I don't have friends.

Shauna
11-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Matthew is the obvious choice for me here, but there is one other person I'd consider my best bud.

I met her in university and the two of us just click. I don't get to ~hang~ with her very often due to her living in Aberdeen (and now Stoke) but whenever we do it's like we still live together, and can just sit and talk about utter nonsense or serious biznez. And play Deadly Premonition. And watch Adventure Time. And do all sorts of other crazy things like climb mountains.

I have had other "best friends" over the course of my life, but as with all friendships they come and go because of distance, or just us becoming different people, or in my case cutting out from my life pretty much everyone I met before the age of 19. :3

Shiny
11-08-2013, 06:17 PM
I have three people I consider my good friends...maybe four if we are counting family. I don't use the term best friend. They all know me through school. I would never call anyone my good friend if I've never met them in person.

Pike
11-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Aside from Huxley I don't really have any best friends. I don't really want any, either. As a general rule I don't do good with friends because I inevitably end up trying to avoid talking to them and then I feel terrible about it.

noxious.sunshine
11-08-2013, 10:10 PM
My cat.

My cat is my best friend. She used to be rly snuggly and cuddly but now she's not cuz whatever.

But she's been following me around everywhere lately. When I get up and outta bed, she gets up. If I'm in the bathroom, she sits outside the door and waits. When I'm leaving, she goes to the door and tries to get out, but then she lays on the couch until I get back. And the last few days, she -has- laid down in my lap or on my stomach and cuddled up.

Also my daughter.

Yep. A cat and a 5 yr old.

Calliope
11-09-2013, 05:11 PM
At this stage in my life, I don't particularly have a best friend, although I do have many close friends. However, I have allowed TV to impress upon me the notion that I'm supposed to have a super close, childish, platonic and co-dependent best friend. Where's my Joey? My Denny Crane? My Richard Fish? My Troy? My Turk? My Rusty? My Wilson? Oh wait, I'm a woman, so I don't get to have a "bromance" full of buddy cop adventures, I'm "supposed" to have "girls" and surround myself with "my girls" and concern myself with clubbing and shopping and brunch, bah.

It's also somewhat difficult to move somewhere and try to insert yourself into an already existing social circle. Have you heard of the Seattle Freeze? I'm pretty sure it's a valid phenomenon - it's not that anyone is unfriendly, it's just that everyone is already settled or busy. So many of my friends here have multiple children, don't drive, are attending grad school, work two jobs, etc. that it's hard to make specific plans.

I do keep trying to initiate some sort of art salon evening at my house, but my apartment really isn't big enough for more than two people to hang out and drag out art supplies; which leads to congregation at restaurants and bars (which are fine, but largely boring and expensive given I can make better and cheaper food/beverages at my house).

noxious.sunshine
11-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Oooh. I -guess- I can count Jinx & Shorty as friends. We don't really talk 1-on-1... Like ever, even though I has Jinx's # in my celly (I just never wanna bug her so I don't text). But anytime I make a blog entry here or update my status on Facebook, they don't hesitate to put their 2 cents in when they wanna/feel the need to. And it's usually well thought out advice that mirrors what I'm already thinking and/or realize.

drotato
11-16-2013, 02:14 AM
Weeeeell.... I currently live with my best friend, and I think he's pretty rad. We've known each other for 8+ years and know pretty much all there is to know about each other.

In general, though, I think I've become a hermit. I hate having friends, they're too much trouble to deal with. Internet friends? Those are completely fine. I don't have to hang out with them in real life. <. <
But other than that... Yeah, screw that. Way too much trouble and usually it's just a waste of my time.