PDA

View Full Version : Veggies

Shlup
11-08-2013, 12:23 AM
I'm having an artichoke for dinner. It's one of my favorite things. Broccoli is way up there too. And I put green onions on almost everything.

What are the best veggies?

Spuuky
11-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Other than potatoes, and assuming we aren't being pedantic about the distinction between vegetables and "fruits" with regard to things like avocado and tomatoes and such?

Probably snap peas (#2), broccoli (#3), corn, peppers of various sorts, onions, carrots, olives, cabbage, and undoubtedly something I'm forgetting. They're all best eaten in very different ways and they're not in any particular order after broccoli.

Pike
11-08-2013, 12:53 AM
Spinach and brussels sprouts are my favorites.

Carrots are my least favorite. I have hated them for as long as I can remember. I don't know why. I just really don't like the taste.

Spuuky
11-08-2013, 01:01 AM
Oh, spinach is a pretty good one. I like raw spinach a lot, and I recently learned I like spinach on pizza. Although other than that I'm not really a fan of cooked spinach.

noxious.sunshine
11-08-2013, 01:37 AM
I love Spinach. Spinach is king.

Garlic & onion are a staple in my pantry, and I lurve tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, green beans, asparagus, artichoke, and zucchini

Shlup
11-08-2013, 02:26 AM
Oooh, spinach and brussel sprouts are both good.

I sometimes forget garlic counts as a vegetable. I tend to overdo it whenever I make something with garlic; I just love it so much.

Shorty
11-08-2013, 03:37 AM
I love almost all common vegetables. Onions and potatoes I use most often. I classify avocados as a vegetables, I give no fucks, and they are delicious. Tomatoes, spinach, brussels sprouts, peppers (green and yellow), squash of all kinds - zucchini and yellow summer squash in particular, corn, eggplant, pearl onions, green onions, artichokes, broccoli and cauliflower, mushrooms and asparagus. I will gobble them all up.

I dislike spouts, uncooked carrots, beets and red cabbage.

Night Fury
11-08-2013, 08:29 AM
I love carrots! They're pretty versatile!

Spinach is such a great veg to have in the house, because you can put it with pretty much anything. I actually had a tuna and spinach sandwich for lunch today and it was fantastic. You can also add it to home-made juices and smoothies too.

Broccoli and Broccolini are great - I love veg with a nice crunch :)

Rantz
11-08-2013, 04:50 PM
A lot of great ones have been mentioned. Artichoke, asparagus, avocado, broccoli, brussel sprouts, corn, garlic, snap peas, spinach... all the other ones... If garlic counts, it would probably have to be my favourite.

To mention something that hasn't been mentioned before, though - pak soi is one of the newcomers in my pantry and I'm liking it quite a lot.

Shauna
11-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Veggies are all great. Except sprouts. They can go to hell, or something.

Shlup
11-09-2013, 05:14 AM
I just ate a lot of seaweed.

Pike
11-09-2013, 10:18 AM
But alfalfa sprouts are amazing. The only problem with them is they go bad after like one day and then they smell awful. That's why I don't buy them often.

Also seaweed is great too even though it's technically an algae.

Hollycat
11-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Cauliflower, pickles, and carrots are the kings of vegetables. Also Iceberg lettuce.

I can't stand Brussels sprouts.

Shiny
11-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Spinach, cucumbers, asparagus with fresh garlic, and fried laver seaweed cooked in sesame oil are my favs. I also really enjoy pickled cauliflower, but I can eat it un-pickled as well.

I dislike carrots, brussel sprouts, and squash. I really don't like butternut squash soup.

Elskidor
11-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Potatoes and mushrooms and spinach for the win. I like nearly all veggies though. Actually there is no such thing as a bad veggie. Even the ones I don't really care for straight up go great with other foods or blended in with other dishes.

Araciel
11-10-2013, 03:14 AM
I find your lack of mushrooms disturbing

..in this thread.

Shorty
11-10-2013, 03:27 AM
Dirtbag!

Elskidor
11-10-2013, 03:52 AM
I find your lack of mushrooms disturbing

..in this thread.

Whoever doesn't eat mushrooms has no taste worthy of the splendor that is veggies, for it is the god of all veggies.

Psychotic
11-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Blech, vegetables! :barf:

I'm still a kid at heart. Potatoes and cucumbers are good, and I will eat onions and peppers I guess. I don't think mushrooms or tomatoes technically count but I'll wolf those down too.

noxious.sunshine
11-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Mushrooms... Nomnomnom ...

I like them sauteed w onions. And raw. Whatever.

fire_of_avalon
11-13-2013, 06:56 PM
The only vegetables I've eaten before that I dislike are onions, ramps, mushrooms and sometimes cabbage. There's something else too. Everything else can come get in my tummy, especially carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes. Yum.

Miriel
11-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Over the past few years, I've come to the conclusion that pretty much any vegetable can be made delicious, even ones you might have previously despised.

I had rutabaga for the first time in my life the other day and it was pretty good. The big winner this year was cauliflower. Who knew that such a bland thing could actually be amazingly versatile and yummy?

My favorite veggies include: cucumbers, potatoes, onions, shallots, green beans, broccoli, red bell peppers, mushrooms, cabbage, and corn.

Also really like edamame, carrots, kale, snap/snow peas, butternut squash, brussels sprouts.

I like all the veggies. Veggies are good.

Pike
11-13-2013, 07:41 PM
All these people talking about mushrooms in this thread. :colbert: Mushrooms are fungi, not vegetables!

Miriel
11-13-2013, 07:49 PM
I'm reclassifying it as a vegetable. It's right next to the green beans and asparagus at my super market. Therefore, vegetable.

Spuuky
11-13-2013, 09:22 PM
I'm reclassifying it as a vegetable. It's right next to the green beans and asparagus at my super market. Therefore, vegetable.I think this makes bananas and deli sandwiches into vegetables at my store.

Miriel
11-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Yes.

Dr Unne
11-13-2013, 10:19 PM
CTRL-F cucumbers to identify the winners in this thread. Cucumbers > all.

Pike
11-13-2013, 10:58 PM
CTRL-F cucumbers to identify the winners in this thread. Cucumbers > all.

Oh boy.

OH BOY.

Don't start this with the Brits around.

Our biggest staff argument in recent history was about this.

Dr Unne
11-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Did the pro-cucumber side win? It's established fact that cucumbers are the Official Vegetable of EoFF.

Shauna
11-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Why were you arguing about cucumbers?

Miriel
11-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Del Murder spilled the beans on that particular Staff drama. It made me laugh and laugh. Silly Psychotic! Cucumbers are cucumbers! Zucchinis are zucchinis!

Shauna
11-13-2013, 11:45 PM
:colbert: wat

Everyone knows that they're different, don't try and lump all Brits together as if we all believe this particular brand of lunacy.

Shorty
11-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Why were you arguing about cucumbers?

It was pertaining to Official Staff Business.

Your EoFF tax dollars are used wisely, folks.

Spuuky
11-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Cucumbers are cucumbers, zucchini are zucchini, and both are in the bottom tier of edible vegetables.

Pike
11-14-2013, 12:58 AM
Yeah, the whole thing was about what denotes a cucumber and how apparently American cucumbers and British cucumbers are different. Zucchini was somehow involved for no good reason.

It was a mess.

Shlup
11-14-2013, 04:40 AM
I like cucumbers most anytime, but zucchini is only good when fried.

Shorty
11-14-2013, 04:43 AM
The best way to consume cucumbers is in the form of cucumber lemonade. Alternatively, slices with tuna salad scoops are also yummy.

Shlup
11-14-2013, 05:16 AM
Do you... do you juice the cucumbers?

Shorty
11-14-2013, 05:21 AM
I guess so, I've never used a juicer so I don't know the process. I blended them and then separated the pulp so as to just have the juice. So yes!

Elskidor
11-14-2013, 07:44 AM
Cucumbers are cucumbers, zucchini are zucchini, and both are in the bottom tier of edible vegetables.

This is sadly very true. Yet, when fried, zucchini becomes much more edible. Cucumbers are reliant on salads and other foods to mingle with in order for them to taste good, and are unable of standing on their own and being enjoyable. :mogumogu:

Miriel
11-14-2013, 08:03 AM
This is sadly very true. Yet, when fried, zucchini becomes much more edible. Cucumbers are reliant on salads and other foods to mingle with in order for them to taste good, and are unable of standing on their own and being enjoyable. :mogumogu:

What.

Cucumbers are delicious on their own. I regularly just munch on plain cucumbers. One of my favorite sodas in the world is cucumber flavored. It's called Mr. Q Cumber.

http://www.drinkwhat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/The-Original-Cucumber-Soda-Mr.Q.Cumber-Flavor.jpg

Dr Unne
11-14-2013, 09:41 PM

Other vegetables beg to be in the same room as cucumbers.

I have had two kinds of cucumbers in my lifetime. This kind is what we grew at my house growing up. It's short and stumpy. The skin has little white thorn-bumps on it that you can remove by brushing them off. The skin is really thick and a lot of people peel them. The insides are liquidy and full of seeds. Usually I see them sold waxed, another reason not to eat the skin. If you get them super fresh, they're delicious. If you let them sit, they turn rubbery and kind of horrible.

I've seen this kind called varying things: English Cucumber, Seedless Cucumber, Long English Cucumber, Hothouse Cucumber. These are thinner and longer. The skin is not as thick and and easily edible. There aren't as many seeds inside. They're often sold individually wrapped in plastic. In spite of being called English, they are grown in California and locally in British Columbia among other places. These are my favorite kind.

I will share a recipe for cucumber salad.

Get a cucumber. Slice it lengthwise and then into half-slices. Add a TINY splash of vinegar. Add black pepper. That's it. Just eat it.

http://www.drinkwhat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/The-Original-Cucumber-Soda-Mr.Q.Cumber-Flavor.jpg

It's... beautiful

Oh how I wish we could have nice things in Canada.

Miriel
11-14-2013, 10:00 PM
My favorite cucumbers are Korean cucumbers. They're so crisp and delicious. My grandparents grow them in their backyard so it's pretty much all I ate growing up. I never had an English cucumber until my late teens and I didn't think they were all that great compared to the Korean ones.

It's... beautiful

Oh how I wish we could have nice things in Canada.

You should try and get your hands on it if you can! It's kinda pricey and I've only ever seen it at one restaurant and never in a retail store, but it's literally one of the best sodas I've ever had in my life. It is phenomenal.

Shlup
11-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Man, it ain't cheap. (http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Cumber-Soda-Pack-12/dp/B00D5IV63O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384474647&sr=8-1&keywords=mr+q+cumber)

Jinx
11-15-2013, 12:19 AM
Cucumbers are rank.

Miriel
11-15-2013, 12:51 AM
Man, it ain't cheap. (http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Cumber-Soda-Pack-12/dp/B00D5IV63O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384474647&sr=8-1&keywords=mr+q+cumber)

The restaurant we get it from charges $4 a bottle, so that isn't half bad! Although look at that shipping price. Ouch.

noxious.sunshine
11-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Except Cucumbers are actually a fruit. Like tomatoes. :p

I like em on their own, but I also like to chop them up with onion, cilantro, jalepeno, tomato, & lime juice.. that's my own version of Pico de Gallo ... Or well, how I was taught to make it in phoenix anyway.

Shlup
11-16-2013, 04:24 AM
All fruits are vegetables, but not all vegetables are fruit. SCIENCE.

Dr Unne
11-16-2013, 10:13 AM

The restaurant we get it from charges $4 a bottle, so that isn't half bad! Although look at that shipping price. Ouch.

Amazon offers $58 shipping to Canada.

Pike
11-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Those Long English Cucumbers are, according to Brits, the only kind of cucumbers that exist.

I know this because I am engaged to one and he throws a hissy fit about it anytime the discussion of cucumbers comes up.

fire_of_avalon
11-19-2013, 02:00 AM
I like cucumbers most anytime, but zucchini is only good when fried.
Lies and slander! How dare you. :nonono:

Do you... do you juice the cucumbers?
...redemption! (I laughed really hard at this.)

noxious.sunshine
11-19-2013, 05:13 AM
Fried pickles are chucking amazing.

Slothy
11-19-2013, 02:07 PM

Amazon offers $58 shipping to Canada.

Fuck that. Just go buy some beer. Much better value for money, and bound to taste better than anything cucumber flavoured. Even if you buy that cheap American piss water.

noxious.sunshine
11-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Sigh.

why must you poke fun at Budweiser?

Vivi is right though. Beer is the better option here.

Jinx
11-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Budweiser is the best of the cheap, American beers. He didn't actually say Budweiser though. And obviously Vivi hasn't had every American beer, so he's not really an authority.

But yeah, Budweiser is nasty.

/thread derailed

Denmark
11-19-2013, 06:13 PM
i never really liked vegetables growing up. and i still don't. this must contribute to my unhealthiness. :gator:

leafy things are fine, and i'll eat raw carrots. i like potatoes a lot but while they're technically a vegetable they provide different things in the way of nutrition than "typical" vegetables. i like corn, too.

most of the "fruits and veggies" that i like fall in the fruits category. that's a separate thread.

Calliope
12-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Let's see if I can limit myself to ten, excusing different varieties of things. Asparagus, kale, chard, mushrooms, olives, broccoli, baby bok choy, brussels sprouts, sugar snap peas, beetroot.