PDA

View Full Version : Let Us Cling Together

Spooniest
11-09-2013, 03:40 PM
"'I don't like you,' he says, and everyone laughs like it's his standard joke, but it's true, we're only welcome for our drink and our smoke"

~ Joni Mitchell, "Furry Sings The Blues"

I realize it's fun to compete with each other, but honestly...

It's just nice to be noticed. So I'm offering a high five to whoever posts in this thread. Ohana means...

:J

Topic?

It sure is nice to have any friends at all, even if they're irritating. Happy Turkey Day, y'all. What are you looking forward to this Thanksgiving?

Floor open.

Slothy
11-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanksgiving was last month nerds.

fire_of_avalon
11-09-2013, 04:22 PM
He meant the real Thanksgiving. Where we celebrate the plagues, scourges and genocide delivered to the Native Americans by Europeans.

Sephex
11-09-2013, 04:31 PM
He meant the real Thanksgiving. Where we celebrate the plagues, scourges and genocide delivered to the Native Americans by Europeans.

It was amazing what they could do with a single dead turkey in those days.

Shauna
11-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Sounds like a lame celebration.

Calliope
11-09-2013, 05:32 PM
I do not enjoy Thanksgiving.

-It's a long commute to get to Spuuky's parents house (if I have enough days off to warrant going, given that I don't get benefits with my job) and we'll be going again for Christmas soon enough anyway.
-The amount of family, extended family, friends, neighbours, coworkers, and random people who will be there is overwhelming.
-I don't get any meaningful time with the people I'd actually like to spend time with because there are too many people.
-The holiday is largely centred around eating, and specifically, eating turkey. I'm a vegan, and I don't mind other people eating non-vegan food around me, but Spuuky's family have been asking the same stupid questions and telling the same stupid anti-vegan jokes for TEN YEARS now no matter how many times I have addressed it with them. I just want to sit and eat my damn meal without having to explain every little thing that is on my plate and that it's food, it's not "supposed to be" a substitute for what's on their plate, and it's not sub-par just because it doesn't have meat or dairy in it. I also dislike everyone complaining loudly afterwards that they overate. If you don't want to overeat, then don't do it - you don't do it normally, you don't have to just because it's a holiday!
-I can't pretend to understand American history and politics, but I am descended from the indigenous people of my own country who have had their own colonial struggles, so the prospect of celebrating this invasion, suppression and the resulting legacy it has had on particular groups of people doesn't particularly appeal to me.
-Also, American Football.

Last year Giggles and I had to work, and Spuuky didn't so he went to celebrate with his family and we stayed here. Giggles and I watched "Friends", I made a chocolate pie, and then we went for a walk. It was awesome - no commuting, stress, or trying to please anyone :D

Pike
11-09-2013, 05:38 PM
What are you looking forward to this Thanksgiving?

Nothing because I'll probably have to work an extremely stressful day.

Freya
11-09-2013, 06:09 PM
The thread title made me think of highschool musical. Yes. I was one of those teens.... shhhhhhh

gbrbUfYSt0E

I'm looking forward to not cooking! I usually always have to cook and I don't have to do so this year. WOO!

Jinx
11-09-2013, 06:10 PM
There are lots of EoFF people I wouldn't mind "clinging" to.

Spooniest
11-09-2013, 06:33 PM
You guys can't get no satisfaction, it seems

See y'all in my dreams, or what's left of 'em. :)

Del Murder
11-09-2013, 06:42 PM
It will be fun to hang out with family and not think about the stresses of life.

Sephex
11-09-2013, 06:50 PM
I'll contribute something positive to the thread too.

I actually enjoy Thanksgiving. I have a "normal" job in terms of scheduling and paid holidays, so I don't have to worry about working the day ever. Anyway, we always go to my Uncle's house. He does get a little ranty on political things, but he usually manages to keep it to a bare minimum or not at all with larger family gatherings. Anyway, I enjoy a nice meal, indulge in a little booze (I ride passenger with my folks so I don't have to worry about driving, and watch some American football. It may seem very boring from the found of it, but I always have a good time!

Miriel
11-09-2013, 07:03 PM
There's lots of things that bewilder me about American Thanksgiving, the main one being the weird obsession with Turkey. Turkey being one of the most boring proteins eveeeerrr.

But I'll go with the things I AM looking forward to:

1) I love cooking for people, and I'll use any excuse to try new recipes and stuff. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. But it's nice to experiment with fancy recipes. Recipes you don't normally have the time or money to attempt. One year I made roast beef tenderloin and it was baller. Another year I made paella and it was a wreck. This year I'm going to attempt a potato and rutabaga mash (rutabaga!) and a brussels sprouts (or maybe green bean) with leeks, pancetta and toasted nuts.
2) I love forgetting about work and life for a day or two and just focus on relaxing and eating and being with family. And taking time to be grateful for the good things in your life.
3) I find out about the babies sexes the day before Thanksgiving. So yeah, nervous/excited about that.

Shorty
11-09-2013, 09:01 PM
I used to love Thanksgiving, but many of the Thanksgivings I've experienced as an adult have been less-than-awesome. It used to be me and all of my family and extended family getting together for two or three giant meals over the coarse of one or two days, but since moving, family members dying and inter-family fighting, it's not the same anymore. One year, though, my friends and I all gathered together and all brought such delicious dishes. I made my very first turkey and spent all day and the day before on side dishes and desserts. After we stuffed ourselves, we watched Thankskilling, and it was horrible and awesome.

I love cooking and baking and preparing for it, though. I'm sure it will be better when I have a family of my own and my sisters and I all gather together with our craziness for it.

Raistlin
11-09-2013, 09:26 PM
I look forward to having a couple of days off where I don't have to do any work. Technically I have a four-day weekend, but I'm sure I'll be working at least on Sunday.

I also generally enjoy eating, drinking, and watching football, which is the general ritual at my dad's over Thanksgiving.

Elskidor
11-09-2013, 09:37 PM
I use to enjoy the holidays with both sides of the family, but last year was terrible and I don't have high hopes for any of the holidays this year. I think we will stay in and do our own thing rather than worry with the stresses of extended families. It is a holiday after all, and I see no reason to make them feel like a chore.

Shiny
11-10-2013, 12:43 AM
I am looking forward to not eating turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce because I hate all of those things. Instead, I will be eating cheesecake and crabs.

Jinx
11-10-2013, 12:47 AM
I work on Thanksgiving and early on Friday morning. So, Chinese food it is!

noxious.sunshine
11-10-2013, 05:06 AM
There won't be a thanksgiving for me. Or Christmas for that matter .

Its hard for me to enjoy holidays nowadays.

Shlup
11-10-2013, 05:29 AM
Last year was the first year I worked on Thanksgiving! Working at Disneyland on holidays is fun though. Everyone's in a good mood and we always have potlucks, and then when I got home BJ had a plate of food ready for me.

This year I'm on maternity leave, so no work. I just hope the meal doesn't coincide with when the baby's hungry. I swear she she knows when I'm about to dig into a hot meal.

Psychotic
11-10-2013, 09:27 AM
I am looking forward to not eating turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce because I hate all of those things. I finally understood Thanksgiving. You do the meal section of British Christmas - the turkey, the family and so on - in November. Your Black Friday is our Boxing Day! You crazy kids, I finally get you. :love:

You guys miss out on the best bloody bit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_cracker) though.

Pike
11-10-2013, 10:40 AM
We still have Boxing Day on top of Black Friday though. We don't call it that but it exists. Day after Christmas in retail is just as horrid as Black Friday. :cry:

Calliope
11-10-2013, 05:47 PM
In NZ, Boxing Day is the best day of the year because everyone just goes to the beach and eats leftovers and plays with all of their new stuff. Even though it's going to be dark and miserable here, I requested Boxing Day off so that I can light a gazillion candles and read and huddle in blankets and swill hot toddies and watch Black Books in peace. People should stop shopping on holidays.

Spooniest
11-12-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm thankful that my life isn't as boring as it once was. Seriously...fearing for my life is a bit much, tho...

Gift horse, I suppose.

Ghosteses
11-12-2013, 10:04 PM
not to throw this topic off but i am disappointed. i thought this thread was about Tactics Ogre ;-;

As for my thanks givings. I enjoy it because i love my distant family members =D

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I'm not doing Thanksgiving this year. Being alone for the first time and thousands of miles away from my loved ones, I think I will just order in and watch football and some chick flicks, drink some beer.

You know, normal weekend stuff.

Sephex
11-13-2013, 12:35 AM
When I was a kid, I thought Boxing Day was the day when Mike Tyson took over Canada.

drotato
11-16-2013, 02:18 AM
Jeez, I can't wait until Thanksgiving... All that food, man. Maybe it's just the fat kid in me....

EDIT: Also, I didn't know Shlup was preggers. Congrats, Shluppy.

Jinx
11-16-2013, 02:27 AM
Lol, Shlup had a baby 6 months ago, you dingus. xD

drotato
11-16-2013, 02:31 AM
Lol, Shlup had a baby 6 months ago, you dingus. xD
Oh..... Damn. @. @
Well, shows how out of the loop I am.