PDA

View Full Version : Fallout New Vegas (and general Fallout) discussion

NeoCracker
11-06-2013, 11:06 PM
New Vegas is by far superior to not only Fall Out 3, but any of the elder scrolls titles. :colbert:

Hollycat
11-09-2013, 09:38 PM
I voted for a bunch of AAA games and don't care about my Indie cred. :cool:

I don't know anyone who would vote for Fallout 3 over New Vegas though. Surely such people do not exist.

Fallout 3 had a better area to explore and less bugs. New Vegas had (far) better DLC and Nice super mutants. Considering the small amount of better content for the 2 year difference and the fact that they use the same engine, I"m going to say Fallout 3 was the superior game, at lesast until you get to DLC.

Spuuky
11-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Fallout 3 had a better area to exploreI don't even know how to respond to this. This is worse than when people claim Oblivion is better than Morrowind.

Psychotic
11-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Fallout 3 had a better area to explore and less bugs. The DC Ruins were appalling. New Vegas (the area itself) was a lot better to explore. The Mojave and the Capital wasteland are probably about equal, though I'd tip my hat to the Mojave if I had to choose.

Not the point though. Compare the writing and the freedom and choice in New Vegas and come back and tell me Fallout 3 was the superior game. I don't think it's possible within the laws of physics.

Pike
11-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Fallout 1 is the best Fallout

Spuuky
11-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Fallout 1 is the best FalloutI actually like the one after that more.

Hollycat
11-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Fallout 1 is the best FalloutI actually like the one after that more.
agreed

edczxcvbnm
11-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Fallout New Vegas is my favorite game of this generation. It wasn't even close that game was so good. The amount of exploration and random nonsense I got myself into was insane.

This one time when I was exploring I accidentally got chased by a gang of death claws and I ran for cover in a building. Auto-save...kind of screwed. This was fairly early on in the game (level 12?) and before the first big patches hit. The thing about the patches is that in one of the first few they cut the Death Claw Armor Rating from I believe 30 to 15. They totally nerfed them! Anyway, after much luck and many tries, I got the Death Claws into a fight with those annoying as shit Cazadors. So many wacky adventures.

The thing I absolutely loved about the game was that the story was driven by me and my choices while living in the moral grey area. To me there was no good ending, only different outcomes. They all had their pluses and minuses and was the first game in an extremely long time to make me want to really role play. If I was face to face with Caesar after hearing what he had to say and given the world we live in, would I actually agree with him? His points are valid and the history is accurate. Should man kind have to have this sort of struggle again before we are mature enough as a society to reach democracy or is the corrupt NCR the right way to go and try to fix those problems as we advance with that?

*Fires up New Vegas for another adventure*

Del Murder
11-11-2013, 07:19 AM
I might have to try New Vegas at some point based on the praise it's gotten.

EDIT: Bah, I'm reading now that the PS3 version is super glitchy and that's the version I would get.

Psychotic
11-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Oh ed, where were you when we had that big long Legion vs NCR thread :(

Also I would just like to say I have never once encountered a glitch on New Vegas. I think maybe it froze once or twice in perhaps a hundred hours of play and that's it. Most of this glitch business was in the early release that has since been patched out. I would 100% recommend it.

edczxcvbnm
11-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Where was I? I don't know. I don't post or even come here too much anymore :/ I might try to get back into the swing of things again. Lets have that conversation all over again right now with me telling everyone why they are wrong and I am right.

Caesar was right you fools! You need to take off your rose tinted glasses from your understanding of our current society and morals. Place yourself in the land of new vegas where there are random tribes just killing each other and fiends running wild killing whomever the like and doing what they please. You think the NRC can stop them? PPPPFPFPPFPFPFPFPT!!!!!! They have been in control of the area forever and have not made a dent in these problems. If anything everything is getting worse. Caesar would bring order and structure to mankind. The methods might be brutal but it is a brutal world. Things will evolve and become different after mankind is united under one banner. True to Caesar!

Just like old time =D

Jessweeee♪
11-11-2013, 02:36 PM

EDIT: Bah, I'm reading now that the PS3 version is super glitchy and that's the version I would get.

I stayed away from the game for the longest time because everyone I knew was so in love with it, and it looked like something I'd enjoy too, but I watched so many other people play it start to finish (this was a bad time in my life where I had literally nothing better to do like a job) that I was just sick of it. And in that time it was the 360 version, just released, and it froze and load times got worse and worse the longer they played, and there were a lot of bugs, most of them harmless, but one game breaking bug that my then boyfriend encountered at the end of the storyline. He got all the way to the end and lost everything. It's probably patched by now but god damn that is terrible.

So recently I decided I was finally ready to play, got the PC version on steam and so for it's great, no problems. I'm being Nancy Botwin. I'm bluffing and negotiating and sexing my way out of everything. Maybe next time I'll do a low intelligence run.

Spuuky
11-11-2013, 05:10 PM

EDIT: Bah, I'm reading now that the PS3 version is super glitchy and that's the version I would get.Do you not have a game-capable PC? New Vegas isn't that hard to run.

Del Murder
11-11-2013, 06:25 PM
I have a laptop that could probably run it but I'm not sure. I don't ever play games on it.

Spuuky
11-11-2013, 07:54 PM
You can buy the Steam version for literally $3 when it's on sale. But if you'd really rather play the PS3 version, I'm sure there's probably a GOTY or something that fixes a lot of the bugs by now? I guess I don't know.

Order of quality:

Fallout 2
Fallout 1
New Vegas (or Morrowind, not sure)
Morrowind (but possibly New Vegas)
Skryim
Fallout 3
Oblivion

I haven't played any Elder Scrolls games besides those three and Fallout Tactics is disqualified from counting as part of the series.

Rantz
11-11-2013, 08:20 PM
New Vegas is one of my favourite games ever. I did encounter a pretty major glitch my first time playing through it, though - I couldn't finish the game because the Legate would never come out of his tent. That was pretty sucky. xD

Psychotic
11-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Where was I? I don't know. I don't post or even come here too much anymore :/ I might try to get back into the swing of things again. Lets have that conversation all over again right now with me telling everyone why they are wrong and I am right.http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/149003-eyes-final-fantasy-fallout-cast.html

I had to yell at a whole lot of mindless fanboys in this thread, and I cackled with every post I made.

escobert
11-11-2013, 09:24 PM
I disagree with almost all of you. what's new? :p

Spuuky
11-11-2013, 09:33 PM
http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/149003-eyes-final-fantasy-fallout-cast.html

I had to yell at a whole lot of mindless fanboys in this thread, and I cackled with every post I made.I just read that thread. And apparently there are heathens in the world who think the NCR are good guys?

On my first playthrough, when I wasn't trying to skew heavily to one side or the other on purpose, I ended up with the only reasonable and rational choice, which was to take things out of the hands of anyone but myself because they're all incompetent and/or unethical.

Del Murder
11-11-2013, 09:41 PM
You can buy the Steam version for literally $3 when it's on sale. But if you'd really rather play the PS3 version, I'm sure there's probably a GOTY or something that fixes a lot of the bugs by now? I guess I don't know.
There's an ultimate edition but people still complain about it. Though maybe they're just annoyed fanboys being grumpy.

Scotty_ffgamer
11-11-2013, 09:43 PM
I haven't played any Fallout game. I'll have to check out New Vegas whenever I catch it on sale.

Sephex
11-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Where was I? I don't know. I don't post or even come here too much anymore :/ I might try to get back into the swing of things again. Lets have that conversation all over again right now with me telling everyone why they are wrong and I am right.

Caesar was right you fools! You need to take off your rose tinted glasses from your understanding of our current society and morals. Place yourself in the land of new vegas where there are random tribes just killing each other and fiends running wild killing whomever the like and doing what they please. You think the NRC can stop them? PPPPFPFPPFPFPFPFPT!!!!!! They have been in control of the area forever and have not made a dent in these problems. If anything everything is getting worse. Caesar would bring order and structure to mankind. The methods might be brutal but it is a brutal world. Things will evolve and become different after mankind is united under one banner. True to Caesar!

Just like old time =D

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Pike
11-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Fallout 1 & 2 are great. The Steam versions are buggy as hell so snag the GOG ones.

Also, reminder that you can run across this in the desert:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110216082661/fallout/images/2/26/Fo1_Tardis.gif

Madame Adequate
11-11-2013, 10:39 PM
You can run across a lot in the wasteland, but yeah that's one of the best ones.

NCR are best deal w/it nerds and fascists. :smug:

Psychotic
11-12-2013, 08:08 AM
I stand by my comment in the original thread. You only like NCR because you had a childhood crush on Tandi.

Del Murder
11-16-2013, 10:46 PM
New Vegas was $20 at Gamestop so I bought it. Should keep me busy next week while Miriel is away. I'll update you guys on my progress!

Shorty
11-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Awesome!

Like Rantz, it is one of my favorite games and like Rantz, I encountered several major glitches (because I think we had the same copy). One of the worst ones was not being able to play Caravan because I got so good at it. :(

Madame Adequate
11-17-2013, 12:52 AM
I stand by my comment in the original thread. You only like NCR because you had a childhood crush on Tandi.

I have never denied this is an element of it!

Psychotic
11-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Awesome, Del. Turn on the first town you come to like a total asshole and side with the Powder Gangers!

Del Murder
11-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Powder Gangers sounds too much like Power Rangers.

Jessweeee♪
11-19-2013, 05:13 AM
So has anyone seen this?
2299 (http://thesurvivor2299.com/)

The internet says the beeping is morse code for 12-11-13

But I heard .---- ...-- .-.-.- .---- .---- .-.-.- .---- ....- .---- .---- .-.-.- .---- ...-- .-.-.- .---- ....-

Which actually translates to "13.11.1411.13.14"

edczxcvbnm
11-19-2013, 05:58 AM
I guess they used a morse code translator to figure out the date. Also a look at the clips audio wave might be more accurate than listening. I also think the countdown on the website pointing to 22 days from now should more or less confirm that something is going down on that day.

Fallout 4 clues abound on thesurvivor2299.com | IncGamers.com (http://www.incgamers.com/2013/11/fallout-4-clues-abound-thesurvivor2299-com)

I am somewhat optimistic but I really hate the way Bethesda creates campaigns. I will have to see some compelling evidence to hop back on board with them again.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the heads up on this one. I had not heard about it yet =D

NeoCracker
11-19-2013, 06:16 AM
Yeah, I don't know if I"ll be on board with the Bethesda Team handling it. I see no reason to believe they are going to craft something as great as Obsidian did with the IP, and after the New Vegas shit went down I don't think Obsidian's going to have anything to do with them. :p

Still though, I could always be swayed.

Del Murder
11-19-2013, 07:26 AM
I just blew Easy Pete's head off and now I'm traumatized. I'm not sure what I expected to happen when I started shooting at his head, though.

I don't know if this is the game for me, but I'll give it another shot.

Also: too much useless junk to collect! How do I know what stuff is useful and which is just scrap?

Psychotic
11-19-2013, 07:52 AM
It's kind of obvious if it's a finance clipboard that you don't want it. Just pick up weapons, ammo and explosives. For financial value, pre-war money and bottle caps. That'll set you right.

Though I'm pretty sure everything tells you its value before you pick it up?

Rantz
11-19-2013, 12:34 PM
If it's something I won't be using but am considering picking it up to sell later, I just do a quick estimate of the value:weight ratio to decide if it's worth it. Early on, I have a pretty low minimum ratio, but it rises pretty quickly as I progress in the game. As for stuff you can actually use, pretty much what Paul said plus of course any and all meds. I usually don't bother with ingredients and stuff but they can be used for cooking stuff at campfires if you want. Certain quests require items like scrap metal/electronics, fission batteries and other "mechanical" things like that but they're not very hard to come by so unless you're close to a safe storage house where you can keep them I wouldn't bother.

Shorty
11-19-2013, 02:00 PM
If it looks like junk, it is junk. Look out for the value when you're in your Pip Boy to help determine whether or not it's worth keeping.

In the beginning, I pick up as much junk as I can to sell, though. Caps are caps, and they seem harder to come by in her beginning.

Are you playing a melee character or a guns character?

When leveling up, I find the most useful skills to focus on to be speech, science and lockpick, and I stack up as many points as I can while leaving some for guns, barter, repair, medicine, whatever. It's more useful for me to max out speech, science and lockpick earlier to take advantage of opportunities in early in the game. But everyone has different characters and everyone plays differently!

Shoeberto
11-19-2013, 03:18 PM
If I was face to face with Caesar after hearing what he had to say and given the world we live in, would I actually agree with him? His points are valid and the history is accurate. Should man kind have to have this sort of struggle again before we are mature enough as a society to reach democracy or is the corrupt NCR the right way to go and try to fix those problems as we advance with that?
So when I played my first time I totally thought there was a way to just a way to not take sides with NCR or Caesar, and use House's robots to rule the Mojave as a benevolent dictator. After a point, I ended up talking to Caesar, thinking I needed to do it to advance the plot while maintaining my neutrality.

Then he kept asking more, and I lost any chance of aligning with the NCR. I thought his story was cool, but the dude was cray, and I'm not down with slavery. So when I had the chance to subtley kill him via brain surgery, I went for it.

Then his second-in-command took over, and he was even worse. Caesar had something of a moral compass, even if he was batshit. This dude didn't fuck around. I thought I could make it good. I thought I'd have my chance to off him. Before I knew it, he had asked me to help attack the Hoover Dam, and I couldn't get out of it. I went for it, and ultimately won over the NCR, but I felt like I lost in a big way. I wanted to be Switzerland, and instead I put a merciless warlord in charge.

It was one of the most conflicting endings I ever experienced in a game. I had such good intentions.

I started on the PS3 but I just couldn't stand it after playing FO3 on PC. If it's what you have to play on, it's alright, but it lacks some serious polish. The game plays pretty well on PC with a game pad if you can get one hooked up to your TV.

I wanted to go back and play through the DLC that I missed - I only played Old World Blues after my first play-through. But after re-installing Windows, I realized I lost my old save. I kinda want to dick around and avoid the main quest if I'm gonna get a character leveled up prior to jumping into any of the DLC packs. Can anyone recommend some areas to explore? I stayed pretty close to the plot my first time through so I probably missed a lot.

Spuuky
11-19-2013, 06:15 PM
So when I played my first time I totally thought there was a way to just a way to not take sides with NCR or Caesar, and use House's robots to rule the Mojave as a benevolent dictator. ...but there is a way to do that...? More than one, even?

Shoeberto
11-19-2013, 06:35 PM
So when I played my first time I totally thought there was a way to just a way to not take sides with NCR or Caesar, and use House's robots to rule the Mojave as a benevolent dictator. ...but there is a way to do that...? More than one, even?
I assumed as much, but apparently I was too impatient or unobservant and missed a key part. I killed House and took over his system, but that just ended the quest line. All I had left (story-wise) was Caesar and the NCR calling for me to pick sides. It could have also been a glitch in the game, who knows.

Makes for a cool story, at least.

Psychotic
11-19-2013, 07:02 PM
You should always be able to do Yes Man though.

Vault 19 has a neat story worth checking out, Stu.

Also, best song? Heartache by the Numbers? Or Let's Ride into the Sunset Together? Fuck Johnny Guitar though.

Shorty
11-19-2013, 07:03 PM
I like Jingle Jangle Jingle. I'm not sure what my favorite is!

Rantz
11-19-2013, 07:41 PM
There are plenty of great songs, but I think this one is actually my favourite. Not super prominent in the game though!

lNFMpoKp2mI

Shoeberto
11-19-2013, 07:42 PM
You should always be able to do Yes Man though.

Vault 19 has a neat story worth checking out, Stu.

Also, best song? Heartache by the Numbers? Or Let's Ride into the Sunset Together? smurf Johnny Guitar though.
I read through a walkthrough and it looks like killing Mr. House too early might cut off a quest line, even if you get control of the Securitrons.

So, when I killed Mr. House to save the wastes, I unwittingly ended up helping Caesar. And then killing Caesar to save the wastes put Lanius into power. I got the worst ending by doing the things I thought were best. It's a heavy-ass game.

edczxcvbnm
11-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Best song? To me that might be Johnny Guitar. I have no real clue why I like it but I think it fits the kind of somber and distant feel in the game. Sure everything is close and you make friends with factions and stuff but you are always the outsider.

I also really like Let's Ride into the Sunset Together and Big Iron. Great soundtrack overall.

NeoCracker
11-20-2013, 01:26 AM
Johnny Guitar and Texas Red are both awesome. Though yeah, best song goes to Johnny.

Madame Adequate
11-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Big Iron and Jingle Jangle Jingle are my favorites but I don't think I consider any NV track to be less than great.

escobert
11-20-2013, 07:13 PM
When it comes to scavenging I always go with a weight to value ratio. If it weighs way more than the caps I'll get for it then I wont grab it.

Psychotic
12-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Fallout 3 DLC was on sale so I nabbed up the rest of it that I didn't have - I had Point Lookout which was great, and of course Broken Steel. Just did Operation Anchorage. The reward was, as the internet loves to say, hilariously broken. The mission itself was interesting actually, I quite liked it. Now off to The Pitt. The scene setting they do is phenomenal and I love the background behind it.

smurf anyone that says New Vegas is glitchier than 3 though. I've had two console freezes already.

Hollycat
12-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Fallout 3 DLC was on sale so I nabbed up the rest of it that I didn't have - I had Point Lookout which was great, and of course Broken Steel. Just did Operation Anchorage. The reward was, as the internet loves to say, hilariously broken. The mission itself was interesting actually, I quite liked it. Now off to The Pitt. The scene setting they do is phenomenal and I love the background behind it.

smurf anyone that says New Vegas is glitchier than 3 though. I've had two console freezes already.

On PS3, New Vegas has to be rebooted every few hours or it will crash.

Mirage
12-01-2013, 05:21 PM
yeah well you should take a 15 minute break for every hour played anyway, so who cares?!

Spuuky
12-01-2013, 06:38 PM
I always just have to shake my head when people play games like this on consoles instead of the One True Platform.

Psychotic
12-01-2013, 08:17 PM
I find that PS3 thing very hard to believe, certainly not to a universal level.

Never heard it mentioned before and I do keep up with internet discussion of the game. I know lis friends can sometimes be a bitch if it's been on for a while but that's rare.
I always just have to shake my head when people play games like this on consoles instead of the One True Platform.I am entirely too tight with money to justify buying a new PC that would run it. That's my excuse and I am sticking to it.

Hollycat
12-01-2013, 08:37 PM
I always just have to shake my head when people play games like this on consoles instead of the One True Platform.
I don't think a gameboy advance can run fallout.

Jessweeee♪
12-01-2013, 09:01 PM
I've watched a few people I know play start to finish on 360 and it happened quite a bit. This was closer to launch though.

I Took the Red Pill
12-01-2013, 09:04 PM

smurf anyone that says New Vegas is glitchier than 3 though. I've had two console freezes already.The Pitt was by far my favorite of the DLC things. Have fun.

Madame Adequate
12-01-2013, 09:09 PM
If I got hours of gameplay without needing to restart Fallout 3 it would have been a magical fairyland, tbqh.

All Bethesda games are terribly buggy though, let's be honest, and Obsidian never allocates enough time or money for it, so I'm surprised New Vegas didn't crash reality itself.

Ayen
12-02-2013, 12:59 AM
I only played Fallout 3 so far and I enjoyed it. Hearing Liam Neeson's voice was a nice treat and I enjoyed messing around in the town with the bomb. Never played it long enough to get much further than that. I always try to avoid killing the girl's father after finding out you don't have to kill him but he never gives me a choice in the matter...

I hear good things about New Vegas, just never got around to it like with a lot of games. Money is tight and I'm only able to get my hands on so many games at a time.

Vyk
12-02-2013, 11:09 PM
I find the plot, locales, and citizenry a bit more mysterious and/or interesting in New Vegas. Not so chlaustrophobic and lonely. Even though you can get companions in 3, I never really liked any of them. I really like a few of the NV companions. So the place doesn't feel as desolate. And it's more fun to wander around wide open desert wastes, than wandering between ruined building after ruined building. A friend got me NV as a gift during the summer steam sale. And I played the hell out of it for a couple months. Then just a week or so ago I decided to start modding it and have found much more love with it

Sorely tempted to get FO3 for PC while it's currently cheap. Waiting to see if it goes on a flash sale first, and then I'll grab it, and then mod the hell out of it..

FYI though, it doesn't take super powerful PCs to run these games, and there are tons of performance enhancers and anti-crash mods that help a lot. Though it's never going to be completely crash free. I frequently play Vegas for hours on end without a problem; and on top of that, while browsing mods, I constantly see people complain how Vegas isn't nearly as stable as FO3 eventually was (probably after particular mods). So they can become quite stable with the right tweaks

NeoCracker
12-02-2013, 11:20 PM
New Vegas was insanely buggy at launch on PS3, I know, I had it. Quite a few game breaking bugs, though it generally wouldn't crash until I played for around 3-6 hours. No where near that bad now though, I've played the Ultimate Edition without it having crashed once. :p

Psychotic
12-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Having now played through them all, my grand current gen Fallout DLC rankings:

Old World Blues
Point Lookout
The Pitt
Broken Steel
Honest Hearts
Dead Money
Lonesome Road
Operation: Anchorage
Mothership Zeta

Such a shame that the last DLCs for both games were probably the weakest. I just finished on Mothership Zeta and I liked the characters, but it was just one long god damn grind against aliens and the fun slowly wore off.

I think the only contentious one will be Dead Money. I was tempted to put it above Broken Steel or alternatively below Operation: Anchorage. In the end I just went for the middle ground.

Shorty
12-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Dead Money is the only DLC I've played and I loved it, despite the fact that it gave me headaches and nausea of a most hideous pain running around those lowly-lit villas.

edczxcvbnm
12-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Best DLC, Old World Blues.

Worst DLC, Honest Hearts.

While Lonesome Road is entirely linear, I enjoyed the journey much like Operation: Anchorage. As a single slice trying to do something else and just tell a small story.

On the other hand Honest Hearts was lots of talking face to face with people with nothing to do in this new giant expanse. It isn't getting new information over the radio while you explore and traverse. It is talking to people point blank and having them tell you everything and just sitting there. Then off to the next story point. There was not much to do and it was terrible. It was so poorly received that I think it is what cause Old World Blues to get delayed like it did. That talking to you problem is in old world blues as well but it at least is only at the start and end of that game.

Oh yeah, Point Lookout was awesome as well.

Psychotic
12-05-2013, 07:26 AM
See, I actually liked Honest Hearts. The Burned Man is such an enigmatic and strong character and definitely stole the show. I also really liked the pure and clear area not being touched by bombs - it wasn't very Fallout but then that's why I liked it, it was such a great change of pace. Finally, I also liked the little moral dilemma at the end and all of the different endings for the tribe.

On the other side, I know they ran out of funding during development of HH and Bethesda pushed them to release it before it was ready. At the end you can see this because there's a couple of placeholder quests that are simple "go here, kill dudes" that were never meant to be in the ideal version of HH. Overall though, that didn't detract from the bigger picture for me.

NeoCracker
12-05-2013, 10:42 AM
While not really liking any of the FO3 expansions (Except Broken Steel, which I never played), I really liked most of New Vegas.

I was kind of bored with Honest Hearts, though The Burned Man was excellent. One of New Vegas as a wholes better characters I felt.

Dead Money was my favorite though. It had such a tense atmosphere, and your companions were all wonderful. Not to mention Father Elija was a fucking terrific villain. The whole time you are wanting to rip that little fuckers throat out, he is just such a delightful asshole.

Now, I may get flack, but I fucking hated Lonesome road. You get all these mentions of the Courier in the other DLC's, and it's building him up as this great and interesting chatacter, and then you finally meet the guy. And I can't begin to describe how much I just wanted him to shut the fuck up. He drones on and on, and it all boils down to 'You brought bomb and blew Ceasers guys up and now I is sad!'. I couldn't help but think how much better that expansion would have been had they just had Father Elija escape at the end of Dead Money (He's the kind of guy who you could have seen just sending in robots at the end there). Messing with this old world shit is completely up that guys alley, and he makes for a far better antagonist then the fucker who drones on and on about how being a courier, a man who walks from point a to b, understands the workings of the world.

My never ending annoyance of Ulyssys just killed that expansion for me, even if I did like not-E-DE.

Psychotic
12-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Dead Money, for me, varied wildly between amazing and awful. As Cracker says, the atmosphere was brilliant, as was Father Elijah. However, the gameplay was often frustrating and maddening. Random beeps, now you're dead. Here's some gas, now you're dead. Holo people? Dead. On the one hand it raised the stakes, on the other you were dead through very little fault of your own because you failed to spot a tiny little radio hidden under a desk in ten seconds.

Lonesome Road, you know, I actually sort of loved to listen to Ulysses because I thought his voice was brilliant. And I liked the message he gave... but the actual backstory they were building to - this man let Courier Six deliver it, he pops up in all the DLCs etc - was stupid. Oh, you blew up my old country. The entire time I was like "No, I bloody well didn't, this is mistaken identity" and thought it would either be that, or alternatively some minor action I had actually taken in the Mojave had led to this - an "actions have consequences" kind of lesson. I guess the ending resolve was indeed that lesson... but it was a backstory to the Courier that we had no involvement in. No, my actions did not have a consequence because they are not my actions. We have no idea what the hell it is you are talking about Ulysses. The key thing about Fallout is that we don't have a backstory - we're a Courier, that's it. Blank slate. The game just imposes its own story on you out of the blue.

NeoCracker
12-05-2013, 12:00 PM
They did get a damn good VA for him, that is true. :P

ShunNakamura
12-31-2013, 05:55 AM
Well I saw New Vegas on sale via steam so I finally grabbed it since I have some time to play games for a change.

I didn't want to shot them! Really! I never follow the rails so instead of talking to to smiles I went into the school house and beat on some critters. I then saw those bighorn things and clicked on it to see if I could ride it. Apparently my Dumb Ass decided to punch in in the face. Which pissed off the locals. So after getting shot a lot of times I run to the doc for help and he starts shooting at me with this laser thing so I was forced to shot him in the head with a shotgun! I didn't wanna kill him! He made me do it!

Now they think I am a villain! Haven't they ever heard of talking things out? It was just all a misunderstanding!

Ahem. Lets try that again. No punching large bovines in the face. Gotcha.

Jessweeee♪
12-31-2013, 05:59 AM
what you punched that guy's cattle I WILL KILL YOU

Shorty
12-31-2013, 06:51 AM
You can't just go around punching cattle, man.

Psychotic
12-31-2013, 10:50 AM
Bighorner or Brahmin? This is important :colbert:

Either way, it's only Goodsprings. Murder the lot of 'em, that's all they're good for.

NeoCracker
12-31-2013, 02:53 PM
Whats great is one playthrough when the bar lady and Powder ganger guy were arguing after the tutorial stuff with sunny, rather then ask anyone anything I straight up murdered the dude. And they were all 'You know, he deserved that, and I REALLY am hoping you knew that before murdering him" and it was all good. :p