PDA

View Full Version : Persona 5 - Coming Winter 2014

Hollycat
11-12-2013, 03:26 PM
2mZssK05WYo

p-ch.jp (http://p-ch.jp/)
http://persona5.jp/

Persona 5 will be coming to PS3 in Winter 2014
Also, Persona Q, P3/P4 crossover has been announced for 3ds, but not for Vita. Poo.
Also also, Atlus has announced a musical Persona 4 game for Vita, and Persona 4 Arena 2 for PS3.

Mirage
11-12-2013, 07:12 PM
I'm hyped and I haven't even opened the link yet

Slothy
11-12-2013, 08:16 PM
If someone needs a link to be hyped for a new Persona they're doing it wrong.

Mirage
11-12-2013, 10:39 PM
So that means I'm doing it right, right?

Jessweeee♪
11-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Oh god damn it hypo I had forgotten that the date on that was the 24th and when I saw your post I was like "omg is it today is today the day something happens" no it's not today my hopes are crushed :(

Hollycat
11-13-2013, 01:07 AM
Oh god damn it hypo I had forgotten that the date on that was the 24th and when I saw your post I was like "omg is it today is today the day something happens" no it's not today my hopes are crushed :(
I'm sorry!

Skyblade
11-13-2013, 05:00 AM
That's the release date, right? They're just being hush-hush about it and are going to drop it on us right in time for holiday shopping?

Elskidor
11-13-2013, 05:33 AM
What's a Persona 5, precious?

Madonna
11-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Shauna
11-13-2013, 09:52 AM
:excited:

Mirage
11-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Sup guise (http://www.atlus.com/res/_testenvironment/1119/sc_c2.swf)

Hollycat
11-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Look at the games listed on the left

Mirage
11-15-2013, 10:43 PM
I've looked at everything

Jessweeee♪
11-16-2013, 03:49 AM
wat

Mirage
11-16-2013, 01:47 PM
dat

theundeadhero
11-18-2013, 05:39 AM
It looks like a Japanese only event. I wonder what it will be.

NeoCracker
11-22-2013, 06:19 AM
Firstly, the baby picture was a teaser for Conception 2 (Yeah, proof that we have no worries about Atlus USA. :p) and the teaser site seems to be something relating to P3 and P4, so my guess is it's not actually going to be Persona 5, unless 5 is closely tied into 3 and 4.

Skyblade
11-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Firstly, the baby picture was a teaser for Conception 2 (Yeah, proof that we have no worries about Atlus USA. :p) and the teaser site seems to be something relating to P3 and P4, so my guess is it's not actually going to be Persona 5, unless 5 is closely tied into 3 and 4.

To be honest, I would be surprised if it wasn't. Between the general fan adoration for those two games, and the events we've seen throughout Persona 4 Arena, I think that betting on a closely tied story to the events of both games is fairly safe.

Hollycat
11-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Persona 5 has been announced for PS3, coming Winter 2014
Also, Persona Q, P3/P4 crossover has been announced for 3ds, but not for Vita. Poo.

See OP for video, or click link.
P5 - ????5 - ????? (http://persona5.jp/)

Would a mod please change Thread title to Persona 5- coming winter 2014

Mirage
11-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Is that january and february 2014, or december 2014?

Hollycat
11-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Is that january and february 2014, or december 2014?

I would assume December.

Mirage
11-24-2013, 05:24 PM
That's terrible. :(.

Hollycat
11-24-2013, 07:18 PM
That's terrible. :(.
It's ok, we feel your pain

NeoCracker
11-24-2013, 09:12 PM
You forgot to mention the other two persona announcements!

We also have Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold and Persona: Dance All Night, both with releases next year. :p

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth Announced for 3DS (http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2013/11/persona-q-shadow-of-the-labyrinth-announced-for-3ds/)

Skyblade
11-24-2013, 10:53 PM
You forgot to mention the other two persona announcements!

We also have Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold and Persona: Dance All Night, both with releases next year. :p

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth Announced for 3DS (http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2013/11/persona-q-shadow-of-the-labyrinth-announced-for-3ds/)

That... That is beautiful. Seriously. I want.

And Minato is back!

NeoCracker
11-24-2013, 11:24 PM
...Yeah, I really don't know if I like Minato being back, though I'll wait and see what there excuse for it is. :p

Mirage
11-24-2013, 11:25 PM
maybe he's not canon

Hollycat
11-24-2013, 11:40 PM
I consider
Female Protagonist (Persona 3 Portable) - Megami Tensei Wiki: a Demonic Compendium of your True Self (http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Female_Protagonist_(Persona_3_Portable))
to be the canon protagonist for P3, due to her story being superior to the male protagonists (outside of the answer)

I hope she reappears.

Mirage
11-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Now that I actually have a PSP, I should probably get that game.

Hollycat
11-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Now that I actually have a PSP, I should probably get that game.

If you don't mind the lack of anime cutscenes it is by fart he best version

Mirage
11-25-2013, 01:33 AM
Even if I mind, I'm sure I'll live.

maybee
11-25-2013, 08:16 AM
This is why living in Europe sucks- ass, we won't get this game till early 2015 most likely :cry:

Mirage
11-25-2013, 11:33 AM
You know you can just import it from the US, right?

Shauna
11-25-2013, 02:15 PM
it is by fart he best version

teehee fart

Anyway. I am excited for all of the titles. All of them. Even dancing all night.

Slothy
11-25-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm glad someone's as immature as me Shauna.

Aulayna
11-25-2013, 08:59 PM

Done.

Also I've never played a Persona game before. What am I missing? Fill me in with the deets!

Skyblade
11-25-2013, 09:31 PM

Done.

Also I've never played a Persona game before. What am I missing? Fill me in with the deets!

The Persona games are JRPGs set in an urban fantasy environment: our world, just with monsters and magic thrown in.

The main themes of the games center around Jungian Psychology, an exploration of the repressed Shadows of the human psyche, given physical form. The game also draws from H.P.Lovecraft's mythos, both in characters, and in the primary themes of a vast, uncaring universe (with one of the key differences being just how powerful humans and human will can be).

The games are centered around two main systems. The first is a fairly standard exploration of (usually) randomly generated dungeons, combined with a JRPGbattle system. The system makes itself notable by the amount of depth it introduces through the varying attack types and how weakness exploitation affects the combat.

The other main system is the town exploration and the relationships that you build with other characters. Persona is not a series which you can get through on combat alone. The relationships you build strengthen you and your party, as well as offering insight into (and sometimes being required for) the main story.

It is one of my favorite series of all time, and includes some of the best writing in gaming, in my opinion. Pick up and play Persona 3 and Persona 4. They are well worth it.

Scotty_ffgamer
11-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Story-wise, are the first 2 (or I guess three since Persona 2 is split into two games) Persona games worth playing? I've played a good chunk of Persona 3 before I managed to get stuck in some sort of boss battle. I need to go back and play through that game

Hollycat
11-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Story-wise, are the first 2 (or I guess three since Persona 2 is split into two games) Persona games worth playing? I've played a good chunk of Persona 3 before I managed to get stuck in some sort of boss battle. I need to go back and play through that game

Nostalgia freaks claim the second one is the best, but for me 3 and 4 are the only ones worth playing. You can safely skip 1 either way.

Jessweeee♪
11-26-2013, 01:55 AM
Persona 1 is not that great in my opinion and something you play just for completion's sake. Persona 2 is much better and very enjoyable but still not as great as Persona 3 and 4.

Skyblade
11-26-2013, 03:50 AM
Also, while we're at it, Persona 3 and 4 were where the series really took off in popularity. As such, while the games they've made since have heavily referenced and drawn from 3 and 4 (including these new ones), the first games in the series aren't really that important to play. You'll catch a few references, and you'll have a slightly better understanding of the grand concept of the series, but apart from that, you don't really seem to be losing anything important (and, when there is something important from the first games that comes up moving forward, they'll reintroduce it since they know most of the fans haven't played the earlier games).

Persona started as a spinoff of the Shin Megami Tensei series. It wasn't until Persona 3 that I feel it acquired its own identity and became its own series.

NeoCracker
11-26-2013, 05:58 AM
I suggest Shin Megami IV if you have a 3DS, cause god it's awesome. Completely different themes and gameplay, though they all have the running theme of being darker RPG's. SMT IV may be the best 3DS title there is.

Skyblade
11-26-2013, 06:10 AM
I suggest Shin Megami IV if you have a 3DS, cause god it's awesome. Completely different themes and gameplay, though they all have the running theme of being darker RPG's. SMT IV may be the best 3DS title there is.

Rune Factory IV, Fire Emblem Awakening, Persona Q: Shadow of Labyrinth, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney.

I can go on. It's good, but it is not the best.

And the Persona series is generally better than the SMT series, in my opinion. Plus, if you're looking for an intro to the Persona games, it's better to jump in on P3: FES or P4 Golden than to sidestep from SMT.

Scotty_ffgamer
11-26-2013, 07:16 AM
I've been wanting to get SMT IV. It intrigues me. I feel like I actually did get pretty far in Persona 3 FES before I managed to get stuck. The little I played of it already put it up there as one of my favorite games. Due to that (and what I've seen of Persona 4 Golden), I'm excited for what Persona 5 will bring.

NeoCracker
11-26-2013, 07:03 PM
RF IV is lesser then RF III, Persona Q isn't even out yet, Layton and Pheonix isn't an RPG, and I guess we just disagree on Fire Emblem. :p

Edit: Well, that was at Skyblade, but for some reason I thought I originally said RPG.

Regardless, it stands to be better then all those. :p

Bright Shield
11-27-2013, 01:08 AM
I consider
Female Protagonist (Persona 3 Portable) - Megami Tensei Wiki: a Demonic Compendium of your True Self (http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Female_Protagonist_(Persona_3_Portable))
to be the canon protagonist for P3, due to her story being superior to the male protagonists (outside of the answer)

I hope she reappears.

Unfortunately, canon isn't decided by what we would like it to be. Both P4 and P4: Arena confirm that the P3 protagonist was male.

Hollycat
11-27-2013, 01:30 AM
I consider

I hope she reappears.

Unfortunately, canon isn't decided by what we would like it to be. Both P4 and P4: Arena confirm that the P3 protagonist was male.

It's called a headcanon. First day on the internet?

Bright Shield
11-27-2013, 03:21 AM
"headcanon" holds no more relevance than fanfiction. Especially when in contradicts the source material. There is nothing to debate here. You are simply wrong.

male MC = the only official canon

Jessweeee♪
11-27-2013, 04:52 AM
Ok male is actual cannon. Hypo and I are still gonna play the female perspective in P3P and pretend female is cannon while we do that. We are also going to vocalize our hopes that she reappears in some future P3 media and we're gonna talk about how we pretend she is cannon in our heads in the same post :v

Skyblade
11-28-2013, 06:32 AM
"headcanon" holds no more relevance than fanfiction. Especially when in contradicts the source material. There is nothing to debate here. You are simply wrong.

male MC = the only official canon

We are a fan forum. What is wrong with headcanon?

I have no problem with the love for Minako, as I understand where it comes from. When ATLUS took to writing in the Female MC for P3P, they added to it all the writing experience and familiarity with the game systems they'd built up during P3, P3 FES, and P4. In Persona 3, you were never supposed to max every Social Link in a single play through. The game designers probably never considered it or thought it was possible (you have no wiggle room at all in the original, every day has to be perfect or you won't max them all). So the romance choice was meant to be just that, a choice. You did get punishments for running a harem, but every romance option was forced on you to progress the Social Link. When they took the Social Link system further, and made it easier to max multiples, they also gave you the choice to just befriend the romances. They also saw that players wanted more socialization with the party members, and for this reason, Yu had Social Links with everyone in the investigation team in P4. These are just a couple of the features that ATLUS learned a lot while making.

If they had chosen to rewrite Minato's character, we would have seen very comparable quality to what Minako got. ATLUS would have also faced a lot of fan outcry that they reworked it, I think (or they were afraid they were and wanted to test the waters before making bigger changes in P4).

My own headcanon is Minato, with Minako's quality and team interactions, which is what I think we would get if ATLUS were making the game today with their knowledge and experience. I don't see anything wrong with expressing that opinion, nor do I see any need to criticize those who disagree.

As for Minato's return, I must unfortunately point out that the entire S.E.E.S. seems to be wearing Gekkoukan uniforms. And a journey that "transcends space and time" was apparently mentioned somewhere on the Japanese reveal (I can't translate myself and I'm too lazy to search for a credible source). So Time Travel is a distinct possibility.

Though maybe Elizabeth (who we see alongside Theodore, that's new!) completed her journey and rescued him. Ooh, or maybe the time travel is to rescue him! Do we have a Dopple Doll we can swap for him somewhere?

Bright Shield
11-30-2013, 05:32 PM
There's nothing wrong with "headcanon" as long as that is all it's taken as. Merely fan fiction and nothing more.

Hollycat
11-30-2013, 05:37 PM
There's nothing wrong with "headcanon" as long as that is all it's taken as. Merely fan fiction and nothing more.
But in this case it isn't just fan fiction, the main selling point of P3P was the female protagonist, they advertised her, and there is separate stories in P3P just for her interactions.

To a certain extent she is canon, she just isn't the one whose story they decided to continue.
Would you say My dragonborn isn't canon just because she's female even if she made all the same choices as your male dragonborn?

Bright Shield
11-30-2013, 05:50 PM
That doesn't even make sense, lol. Atlus is writing the sequels referring to the P3 MC as a "he/him". The path that Atlus follows is the only canon path. It's as simple as that.

Neither my Dragonborn nor yours is official canon, until the creators reveal which path is the canon one. And if they never do, then there is no canon path. The concept of "multiple canons" doesn't exist, nor would it make any sense.

Also, just because you can do something, doesn't make it official. I seriously doubt Cloud was wasting his time racing chocobos when meteor was about to fall. lol

Hollycat
11-30-2013, 05:55 PM
That doesn't even make sense, lol. Atlus is writing the sequels referring to the P3 MC as a "he/him". The path that Atlus follows is the only canon path. It's as simple as that.

Neither my Dragonborn nor yours is official canon, until the creators reveal which path is the canon one. And if they never do, then there is no canon path. The concept of "multiple canons" doesn't exist, nor would it make any sense.

Also, just because you can do something, doesn't make it official. I seriously doubt Cloud was wasting his time racing chocobos when meteor was about to fall. lol

No, neither of our dragonborn heros are canon, but the dragonborn is canon, and the traits you give to your character decides who they are. Your headcanon is the game.

That's the beauty of a video game, if you decide the hero wants to race chocobos, then they do. Each play-through and each story is different.

Bright Shield
11-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Kind of a strange response... I'm not disagreeing with any of that.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Someday I may have to pick up P3P just to see how the female protagonist's stories play out. I'm about 18 hours into my playthrough of FES currently. Hopefully I can beat this and then get a hold of Persona 4 Golden before the new barrage of Persona games come out.

Hollycat
12-01-2013, 01:21 AM
Someday I may have to pick up P3P just to see how the female protagonist's stories play out. I'm about 18 hours into my playthrough of FES currently. Hopefully I can beat this and then get a hold of Persona 4 Golden before the new barrage of Persona games come out.

The female protagonists story is almost the same, but her interactions vary wildly from the original.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-01-2013, 03:39 AM
When I said stories, I more meant her social link interactions. I just couldn't think of the words "social link" for some reason.

Skyblade
02-25-2014, 09:50 PM
ATLUS USA just announced that Persona 5 will be released in North America sometime in 2015.

Slothy
02-25-2014, 10:32 PM
So long... :(

Fynn
02-26-2014, 06:44 AM
I read somewhere that they said Q is a non-canon spinoff made just for fun. Probably makes the most sense since not only Minato but also Shinjiro is alive there.

Skyblade
02-26-2014, 12:55 PM
I read somewhere that they said Q is a non-canon spinoff made just for fun. Probably makes the most sense since not only Minato but also Shinjiro is alive there.

It involves time travel, according to the trailer. So it could be canon.

There's a lot of questions if it were canon, though. Like how the Inaba crew could summon personas in the real world without Evokers.

Jessweeee♪
02-26-2014, 03:38 PM
I thought the purpose of the evokers was to create an adrenaline rush from the fear of pulling a trigger to their heads or something like that. So really the evokers themselves aren't necessary, but make it a lot easier to summon Personas on demand.

EDIT:

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Evoker

Yeah it's something kind of like that.

Slothy
02-26-2014, 04:11 PM
You know, now that I think about it, having to wait until 2015 for Persona 5 does give me time to finally finish 3 and play through 4. Maybe I shouldn't complain?

Mirage
02-26-2014, 04:13 PM
know what I think? The P5 devs should all use the dark hour for extra overtime every day to finish it faster.

Slothy
02-26-2014, 04:15 PM
I'd rather they give me a Persona so I can experience the Dark Hour too.

Mirage
02-26-2014, 04:18 PM
The two are not exclusive.

Slothy
02-26-2014, 04:20 PM
I know. Just saying if I had to pick one, that's the one I'd pick. Then I could say screw it to the games and fight shadows myself.

Mirage
02-26-2014, 05:09 PM
and die without saved games

your face when your persona is pixie and you can only hold one

Fynn
02-26-2014, 05:10 PM
You do understand the implications, I hope? That would mean there's be tons of people with Apathy Syndrome and the Fall would soon come. Many a father would die.

Skyblade
02-26-2014, 11:06 PM
I thought the purpose of the evokers was to create an adrenaline rush from the fear of pulling a trigger to their heads or something like that. So really the evokers themselves aren't necessary, but make it a lot easier to summon Personas on demand.

EDIT:

Evoker - Megami Tensei Wiki: a Demonic Compendium of your True Self (http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Evoker)

Yeah it's something kind of like that.

This is true.

However, there are several things from Persona 4 Arena to make note of.

First, when SEES entered the TV world, they noted that, while they had all trained to not need Evokers, summoning Personas was far easier in that world.

Second, the Investigation Team was shocked that Fuuka could summon her Persona outside the TV. They didn't know it was possible, nor could they do it themselves.

This would also imply that, outside the TV, the Tarot card method wouldn't work. They may not need an Evoker, but they could use one, as they lack the skill and training to use their Personas in the real world.

Slothy
02-26-2014, 11:29 PM
You do understand the implications, I hope? That would mean there's be tons of people with Apathy Syndrome and the Fall would soon come. Many a father would die.

We've all gotta go sometime.

Skyblade
04-10-2014, 02:42 PM
So, Persona 3 was blue, and featured a battle against human depression and longing for the end.

Persona 4 was yellow, and featured a battle against human cowardice and fearful unwillingness to face reality.

Persona 5 appears to be red. Are we looking at a battle against humanity's rage? If so, how do you think it will play out throughout the game?

Wolf Kanno
04-13-2014, 06:27 PM
The Director says the theme (http://www.siliconera.com/2014/02/05/persona-5-aimed-people-discontent-lives/) is about "feeling trapped and discontent with their lives". So I am thinking we'll see stories in the same vein as Mitsuru and Yukiko's personal issues.

I was kind of hoping they would use Green as the color scheme for this game cause I associate Red with Persona 2.