PDA

View Full Version : Article: Join me for Final Fantasy Oneathon live-stream this Sunday

Dr Unne
11-12-2013, 08:47 AM

Introducing the First And Likely Last Annual
Final Fantasy Oneathon!

What: Final Fantasy One live-stream spectacular
Where: Dr Unne's Twitch.tv channel (http://www.twitch.tv/origamiwombat)
When: Sunday Nov. 17th, starting 12:00 noon PST (20:00 GMT I think?) and ending when I beat the game or die of starvation
Why: I donno
Who: Dr Unne with special guest-star Pancaek!
This weekend I'll be streaming myself playing through the entirety of FF1 on PSP. It's going to be around 10 hours of nonstop FF1. Or longer, if I suck at the game and die a lot!

Will I survive the experience? Will the sheer amount of FF1 goodness bring the Twitch servers to their knees? Will I spontaneously break into song<sup>[1]</sup>? Will my droning monotone voice put viewers into comas? Will there be CASH PRIZE GIVEAWAYS<sup>[2]</sup>? Only one way to find out!

This event is sponsored by Myself, and benefits your brain as it experiences a roller coaster ride of FF1 excitement and adventure. Join me and chat about video games, or reminisce about that Golden Era of EoFF<sup>[3]</sup> where I ruled these forums with the iron fist of justice!

FF1 Party Character Naming Contest!

Everyone who posts in this thread this week will be entered automatically into my FF1 Party Character-Naming Contest! :whoa:

On Friday night I will PM four random people who posted here, and each of them will get to name one of the party members I will play on stream! :whoa: :whoa:

Names have a 6-letter limit including a small selection of potential punctuation characters! :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:

Join me this Sunday!

If I have to sit around talking to myself for 10 hours I'm going to jump off a bridge!

Exclamation marks!

[1]: No
[2]: No
[3]: Inspired by true events

Pike
11-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Everyone who posts in this thread this week will be entered automatically into my FF1 Party Character-Naming Contest! :whoa:

On Friday night I will PM four random people who posted here, and each of them will get to name one of the party members I will play on stream! :whoa: :whoa:

Hi!

Jiro
11-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Getting up at 6am might be impossible but I would actually love to see the great Dr Unne shreddin' Garland.

Loony BoB
11-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Man, I hope I remember to check this out. I'll have to tear myself away from FFXIV.

Dr Unne
11-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Sorry the time might not be ideal for everyone, but EoFFers are so spread out in the world that we're pretty much screwed one way or another. I picked a day/time I knew my wife and I would be free.

Spuuky
11-12-2013, 11:18 AM
I hope I win even though Spatvark doesn't fit in 6 characters.

Elskidor
11-12-2013, 01:51 PM
poke

Del Murder
11-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Sounds fun!

Psychotic
11-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Sounds awesome. It'll be a bit late for this poor European fellow to watch it all but if I'm not up to much I'll try and catch the first hour or two.

Tasura
11-12-2013, 06:00 PM
If I can remember come the day, I'll totally watch. At least until I get distractd by something.

Shlup
11-12-2013, 11:59 PM
I've never watched a Twitch before.

Dr Unne
11-13-2013, 12:01 AM
You can view the page at http://home.eyesonff.com/content.php?r=2919-Join-me-for-Final-Fantasy-Oneathon-live-stream-this-Sunday

Raistlin
11-13-2013, 12:06 AM
This sounds great. Unfortunately I have a very busy week next week so won't have time to watch much, but I'll try to at least stop by.

Freya
11-13-2013, 02:49 AM
I've never finished FF1 so I may tune in! I hope there are prizes. I was told there would be prizes.

Dr Unne
11-13-2013, 06:47 PM
What's that you ask? What party will I be using? I'm going to go completely crazy and try this one. I know it's a stretch, but bear with me.

http://ffclassic.com/images/psp/pcs/fi0.pnghttp://ffclassic.com/images/psp/pcs/th0.pnghttp://ffclassic.com/images/psp/pcs/wm0.pnghttp://ffclassic.com/images/psp/pcs/bm0.png

In other news, I'm a bit nervous that the PS4 release will murder Twitch's servers this weekend. Here's hoping.

Madonna
11-13-2013, 07:38 PM
What, no Black Belts across the board? Scandalous!

Dr Unne
11-13-2013, 11:25 PM
I was thinking about opening the party selection up as a poll, and then my wife suggested that everyone would probably vote 4x Black Belt. And that was the end of that idea.

Spuuky
11-14-2013, 12:23 AM
I was thinking about opening the party selection up as a poll, and then my wife suggested that everyone would probably vote 4x Black Belt. And that was the end of that idea.You could have played it even better by having us vote, but either limiting it to 1 slot per class, or just not including BB in the voting options.

Madonna
11-14-2013, 01:32 AM
It is like Pancaek is out to destroy fun. Man, the PSP version sure is pretty.

LadyJuxtaposition
11-14-2013, 02:27 AM
I'll be very interested of see this live! Can't wait for Sunday now! :jess: :excited:

Pancaek
11-14-2013, 02:28 AM
It is like Pancaek is out to destroy fun. Man, the PSP version sure is pretty.

Dude, I'm not out to destroy fun. I like fun. I just felt that a warning was necessary, because that's obviously what's going to happen.

I like Spuuky's idea of limiting the party to 4 unique characters. You have to admit the default is pretty boring.

Loony BoB
11-14-2013, 01:29 PM
I was thinking about opening the party selection up as a poll, and then my wife suggested that everyone would probably vote 4x Black Belt. And that was the end of that idea.You could have played it even better by having us vote, but either limiting it to 1 slot per class, or just not including BB in the voting options.

I second this idea, but allowing BB purely because I know all your most hilarious comments and the like on FFClassic were to do with BB's, so it will allow for entertainment value. ;D

Dr Unne
11-14-2013, 10:39 PM
I could do F/BB/WM/BM if it'll appease the masses. I want F/WM/BM so I can show off the good equipment and spells in the game to people who've never seen them before.

Pike
11-14-2013, 10:53 PM
No matter how this goes or what team it's with, it's going to be good.

I'm not doing a damn thing on Sunday so I'll probably pop in for a few hours, depending on how NaNoWriMo is looking. :plotting:

Jiro
11-15-2013, 02:05 AM
I approve of your team set up, no need to change it. Maybe not the easiest way to win but it should be an exciting journey. Also no need to apologise about time zones, Australia always gets shunted to I'm used to being dynamic with my sleep :monster:

Dr Unne
11-15-2013, 09:10 PM
12 short hours remain to get a chance to name my characters. :whoa: Post in this thread before it's too late.

Leeza
11-16-2013, 04:17 AM
Hey! Hi there. :) I'll be watching. It's been way too long since I've seen any FFI.
F/BB/WM/BM is my favorite party so this should be fun. :cat:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-16-2013, 05:09 AM
What's that you ask? What party will I be using? I'm going to go completely crazy and try this one. I know it's a stretch, but bear with me.

http://ffclassic.com/images/psp/pcs/fi0.pnghttp://ffclassic.com/images/psp/pcs/th0.pnghttp://ffclassic.com/images/psp/pcs/wm0.pnghttp://ffclassic.com/images/psp/pcs/bm0.png

In other news, I'm a bit nervous that the PS4 release will murder Twitch's servers this weekend. Here's hoping.

This is the party I used when I first beat Final Fantasy :)

I always put the thief as my number one. I know people generally pick other classes but the thief is my favorite. My first experience with FFI was Origins for the PS1. I remember clicking it on for the first time and thinking "hey he looks like Link from The Legend of Zelda". Minus the pink boots, of course.

I've never seen someone play it on the PSP. I'll try and stop in!

I've actually always wanted to hear your thoughts on the "real" Dr Unne, so that should make for interesting commentary.

Freya
11-16-2013, 06:00 AM
This thread and this even is making me want to play it myself. I'm super pumped!

Dr Unne
11-16-2013, 08:03 AM
Congrats to the winners of the FF1 Character Naming Contest.

Lone Wolf Leonhart - gets to name Warrior (Fighter)
Pancaek - gets to name Monk (Black Belt)
Tasura - gets to name White Mage
Pike - gets to name Black Mage

Let me know your selections before Sunday or I'll have to pick another person to think of a name for you.

Shauna
11-16-2013, 10:57 AM
I am hoping to drop in and catch at least a little bit of this. GMT and all that.

Hopefully my brick of a laptop won't seize up trying to cope with the ultimate pressures of streaming via Twitch. ._.

Dr Unne
11-16-2013, 11:24 AM
If you can view Youtube videos you can probably handle Twitch.

Dr Unne
11-17-2013, 08:44 AM
All of the characters have names. Thanks everyone who helped out with that. There were no profanity names, so you've exceeded my expectations.

See you all tomorrow at noon PST.

Loony BoB
11-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Awwww, no profanity. I sure hope by "no profanity" you mean "one of them is named Penis".

Freya
11-17-2013, 06:54 PM
IT'S ALMOST HERE.

Pike
11-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Half hour ya'll, get in here OrigamiWombat - Twitch (http://www.twitch.tv/origamiwombat)

Dr Unne
11-17-2013, 08:00 PM
FF1 time~

Aulayna
11-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Wow those sprites are actually pretty purdy

Shauna
11-17-2013, 11:42 PM
How is the marathon going? I had to drop out from the stream due to internet issues right at the start. xD

Leeza
11-18-2013, 12:08 AM
Sorry you had to leave. It's still going very well. Beautiful graphics. :)

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-18-2013, 05:56 AM
Things are heating up!

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/nmfloropoulos/da5471c1-6f60-4303-ba7d-87f86d587343_zps697b6121.jpg

Freya
11-18-2013, 07:14 AM
THE END!

Psychotic
11-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Oh man, really? I woke up hoping I could catch the end of it! Oh well, I hope everyone had a fun time. Is there a feature where the full video can be watched now that the stream is over?

Freya
11-18-2013, 07:20 AM
He's talking over the credits but i think so afterward it will be.

Leeza
11-18-2013, 07:25 AM
I think that it will all be archived on Twitch.

Tasura
11-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Here (http://www.twitch.tv/origamiwombat/b/480684933) is a link to the full video.

Dr Unne
11-18-2013, 07:41 AM
I made it at juuuuuuuuuuuust under 11 hours. I got to Chaos around the time I expected to, but I didn't know he had 20k HP in the PSP version, and I was woefully unprepared. :( I had to grind levels for another hour and then I managed him.

I embedded the chat in the video the whole time just in case anyone wants to watch any part of the archives. Use the link Tasura posted: http://www.twitch.tv/origamiwombat/b/480684933

Thanks a bunch everyone who hung out all day or part of the day. Hope you enjoyed it. I had a lot of fun.

Shlup
11-18-2013, 08:02 AM
I didn't expect you to kick his ass so hard on the second try, since you didn't level up all that much.

I wish I could say I see why you like this game now. Stupid 1987.

Pike
11-18-2013, 10:19 AM
I had to drop out about halfway through due to my early bedtime but the first half was indeed very enjoyable :D Glad to see there was a pretty big turnout.

Loony BoB
11-18-2013, 10:48 AM
First thing I did at my PC when I woke up was watch you beat Chaos. :D Was great fun watching/listening for the first few hours, though, I really enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. You had good interaction with the audience and there were a lot of people watching, so I'm really chuffed this went so well. We should do this more often!

I really want to start streaming FFXIV using Twitch, but when I tried it, it kept cutting out constantly. Any advice regarding this would be appreciated. I use Open Broadcasting Software at the moment, since it's free. It works fine for Football Manager 2013, but I suspect something to do with the fact that both smitten and I are playing an MMO like FFXIV is using a lot of our network resources and perhaps the stream on top of that just won't work. Not sure, though... maybe I can tweak it to work a little better.

Del Murder
11-18-2013, 03:06 PM
I popped in a couple times. It was cool that you did this.

Elskidor
11-18-2013, 03:12 PM
I didn't end popping in for long, but I did a few times and what I saw was fun. I didn't think the game was so short though...I mean, I knew it was a short game, but not that short. Well done.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-18-2013, 05:12 PM
This was fun. I asked Unne plenty of questions and found out things I didn't know from when I played it. For example, weapons can be used as reusable items. Throw your gauntlets at someone for thundara and it will still be in your inventory. Saw the use of spells I never use like invisira or the steroid abilities of the strength tonic. I think that's what pushed him over the edge for the last boss is using 50 thousand of those and making pancakes out of him.

I was there on and off throughout the day but stayed for the last few hours. If you stream again in the future I'll stop in.

Dr Unne
11-18-2013, 10:21 PM
First thing I did at my PC when I woke up was watch you beat Chaos. :D Was great fun watching/listening for the first few hours, though, I really enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. You had good interaction with the audience and there were a lot of people watching, so I'm really chuffed this went so well. We should do this more often!

I really want to start streaming FFXIV using Twitch, but when I tried it, it kept cutting out constantly. Any advice regarding this would be appreciated. I use Open Broadcasting Software at the moment, since it's free. It works fine for Football Manager 2013, but I suspect something to do with the fact that both smitten and I are playing an MMO like FFXIV is using a lot of our network resources and perhaps the stream on top of that just won't work. Not sure, though... maybe I can tweak it to work a little better.

That's why Twitch is great. It's the next best thing to a bunch of people sitting on a couch playing a game together. Except only one person gets to play. Everyone was helping out when I started failing hard at Chaos. It was a team effort.

There are a lot of things that affect how well you can stream. Your CPU and network upload speed would be the two most important. CPU might be the limiting factor for a game like FFXIV (guessing blindly here). That game is already CPU-intensive.

Reduce the resolution of FFXIV and make OBS use the same resolution for your stream, so that OBS doesn't need to scale the video. I can run games at 1920x1080 at 60+ FPS, but my computer can't stream smoothly at anything over 1280x720 at 30FPS. Then start turning off visual effects in FFXIV until it streams smoothly. Also hope you live physically close to a Twitch server that doesn't suck.

I didn't end popping in for long, but I did a few times and what I saw was fun. I didn't think the game was so short though...I mean, I knew it was a short game, but not that short. Well done.

I was hurrying a bit. I was running from a lot of battles and I already knew where everything was, and I wasn't reading all the dialog. If someone was playing blind, it'd be a longer game. Every game is pretty short when you rush it, actually. Here's someone beating FF6 in 4.5 hours:

EssentiaFour - FFVI SS Speedrun - 4:36 game time, 4:57 real time - Twitch (http://www.twitch.tv/essentiafour/c/1782491)