PDA

View Full Version : How do you like to rub your meat?

Jinx
11-13-2013, 10:59 PM
That is, what are you favorite rubs and marinades for meat? Include recipes if applicable!

Shlup
11-14-2013, 04:37 AM
Why would you need to rub meat? It's already delicious!

Well, when I make a roast I put a bunch of stuff on it. Steak gets eaten straight though.

Jinx
11-14-2013, 11:42 AM
I've had marinated, rubbed, and completely plain steak. While I like to be able to taste the meat (so I prefer rubs over marinades), I still will use some salt and pepper if I'm going plain.

noxious.sunshine
11-14-2013, 12:37 PM
I like those McCormick Montreal grill rubs a lot...

And I've used the Jack Daniels marinade pouches that come with the rub packet.. Those are really good too.

I looove experimenting with marinades and whatnot for chicken & pork & fish, but not so much red meat unless it's a cheap cut like flank/skirt or top round and I'm making tacos or something ...

A couple of Thanksgivings ago, I did Rachael Ray's Thanksgiving in an hour with bone-in turkey breast and it had some type of rub under the skin and then a pistachio rub on top of the skin. It was so yummy.

Chris
11-14-2013, 08:52 PM
A coffee rub is utterly delicious.

Rantz
11-14-2013, 10:20 PM
I like having steak plain (although yes, definitely with some salt and pepper) well enough, but it's way more fun experimenting with various spices, herbs and other flavourings. I'm definitely a herbs person at heart - basil and oregano is great with any meat, tarragon and salvia can do wonders to pork and chicken, and marjoram and rosemary rubbed on a lamb roast is probably somewhat similar to heaven. Chili and coriander can be a great combination, especially for chicken. If I'm barbecuing or roasting the meat, I often make a rub (I don't know if it's still the correct term in this case) including sweeteners or condiments - honey, syrup, chocolate, soy sauce, mustard, steak sauce, oil, what have you.

I also put garlic on pretty much everything.

noxious.sunshine
11-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Salvia? That stuff that makes people hallucinate? What -is- this madness?

Night Fury
11-15-2013, 01:27 AM
At the moment I'm loving my spanish chicken.

I just dice up some bone off chicken thighs in two, put them in a baking tray, drizzle in olive oil, sprinkle on chili flakes, paprika and parsley and then top it off with a bit of butter and garlic salt. It's amaaaaazing. I'm not the steak chef in this house though so you'll have to ask Phil about that.

Miriel
11-15-2013, 02:19 AM
I like having steak plain (although yes, definitely with some salt and pepper) well enough, but it's way more fun experimenting with various spices, herbs and other flavourings. I'm definitely a herbs person at heart - basil and oregano is great with any meat, tarragon and salvia can do wonders to pork and chicken, and marjoram and rosemary rubbed on a lamb roast is probably somewhat similar to heaven. Chili and coriander can be a great combination, especially for chicken. If I'm barbecuing or roasting the meat, I often make a rub (I don't know if it's still the correct term in this case) including sweeteners or condiments - honey, syrup, chocolate, soy sauce, mustard, steak sauce, oil, what have you.

I also put garlic on pretty much everything.

Listen, you have to try a Korean marinade. I think you'd love it. Here's a decent recipe: Bulgogi Marinade Recipe (http://savorysweetlife.com/2009/07/marinade-this-bulgogi-recipe-korean-barbequed-beef/)

Usually people will put in a grated asian pear, or a couple splashes of 7up to help with the tenderizing process too.

It's sweet and savory and delicious.

Rantz
11-15-2013, 05:41 AM
Sounds delish! I'm bookmarking that for later.

noxious.sunshine
11-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Oooo! I made bulgogi once for New Year's! It was yummmm.

I really need to know what the spice blend for Buffalo Wild Wings' Desert Heat dry wings is... Those are like my fav things ever in the whole world. I've looked everywhere, & I can't find it on the interwebz.

Oh and blackened seasoning. I love making blackened chicken.. Like Red Lobster's or Chili's Cajun Chicken Pasta.. I didn't realize this, but there is a huge difference between Cajun seasoning and Blackened seasoning. Cajun seasoning is more earthy/smoky..