PDA

View Full Version : [LR] Is Lightning a bit more "girly" than before?

SuperMillionaire
11-18-2013, 07:04 PM
While Lightning is still a tomboyish, masculine female character (especially in the original game), I can't help but think that Lightning is a bit more "girly" than before, due to both her supposedly less rough and stoic personality that she is reported to have in this game, but also all the outfits she can wear. Now, many of her outfits are certainly tomboyish, but some of her other outfits are also quite girly, some of which are also quite skimpy too, especially her Mist Wizard Sorceress outfit, which originally had an "out-of-character" victory pose in which she stands in a relaxed manner, raises her arms, and crosses her weapons behind her head; it was later changed to simply putting a hand to her waist. (I will say, though, that I kinda liked that original pose, but I think it would have been more appropriate for Tifa than for Lightning, because it's funny when she did it; Serah could also pull that pose off too.) It seems as though Lightning has apparently become a fashionista, who clearly shopped 'til she dropped. Perhaps she is a bit more girly now, and maybe we'll see a bit more of her girly side.

Or maybe perhaps it's not Lightning, but "Claire Farron" who's girly. "Lightning" is the rough outer shell, and "Claire Farron" is the girly interior, perhaps the true personality.

What are your thoughts?

Del Murder
11-18-2013, 07:09 PM
So are you saying Lightning is Batman?

Jessweeee♪
11-18-2013, 08:04 PM
idk, I mean about as girly as Paine was really.

Hollycat
11-18-2013, 08:17 PM
She's the hero Pulse deserves, but not the one it needs, that would be Vanille and Fang.
Incedentally Vanille and Fang are opposites that work together, serious and carefree, two sides of the same coin. A two faced being you might say. And just like Harvey Dent, after they served their purpose, they both died

So Yes, FF XIII is batman, the fal'cie are the joker, and Sahz is Morgan Freeman

maybee
11-25-2013, 08:40 AM

I was thinking more of a M & M candy with the rough outer shell bit. :jess:

SuperMillionaire
12-18-2013, 03:57 PM
The original point of this thread was if you found Lightning a bit more "girly" in this installment, so let's get back to that.

Sephiroth
12-18-2013, 04:14 PM
The original point of this thread was if you found Lightning a bit more "girly" in this installment, so let's get back to that.

http://imageshack.us/a/img12/2614/hqci.jpg

Jinx
12-20-2013, 02:59 PM
All I know is that her armpits are looking fabulous.

Ayen
12-20-2013, 03:11 PM
She doesn't look any more girly to me than she did in the first game. I remember seeing a prototype design of her before the first game came out that was a bit more masculine before the redesign. I think the redesign was due to her looking too much like Cloud initially (don't quote me on that). The only issue I see with Lightning Returns in this boat is that some of the outfits you put her in make her head look like it's pasted on someone else's body.

Sephiroth
12-20-2013, 03:18 PM
She doesn't look any more girly to me than she did in the first game. I remember seeing a prototype design of her before the first game came out that was a bit more masculine before the redesign. I think the redesign was due to her looking too much like Cloud initially (don't quote me on that). The only issue I see with Lightning Returns in this boat is that some of the outfits you put her in make her head look like it's literally pasted on someone else's body.

Well, when Final Fantasy XIII-2 was made it was said Lightning will be sexier.

Psychotic
12-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Lightning can be whoever you want her to be. It ultimately reflects on you and how you view her, I think.

Mirage
12-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Of course Lightning is girlier. Her tits are bigger! That's what being a girl is all about, right?

SuperMillionaire
03-28-2014, 06:27 PM
And some of her outfits are girlier too.

She should have also had a love interest, too.

Forsaken Lover
03-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Her love interest is Toriyama.

Fynn
03-29-2014, 10:02 AM
I thought his love was unrequited.

Mirage
03-29-2014, 01:08 PM
And some of her outfits are girlier too.

She should have also had a love interest, too.

Why?

Fynn
03-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Yah. If she's not single, how can she be an ideal waifu?

Seriously, though, does every female protagonist's worth and motivation needs to center around men and how they perceive her sexually? Lightning's Lightning and that's why her fans like her.

I always figured her the type who would rather not brag about a relationship.

Mirage
03-29-2014, 01:23 PM
That's true. She seems pretty reserved in that regard. Super twist: she actually has a crush on hope for the entire game but hasn't told anything about it because it's none of our businesses!

Fynn
03-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Also, because it's socially unacceptable and kinda creepy :D

Mirage
03-29-2014, 03:28 PM
she transcends time and could easily be in love with the adult hope

Fynn
03-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Idk, still creepy to me :|

Eagle299
03-29-2014, 08:28 PM
I'd say Lightning's love interest should be Fang, but Fang obviously has eyes only for Vanille.

Mirage
03-30-2014, 12:33 AM
Yeah, too bad, light.

But maybe if she kills vanille. Hm...

Noctis Caelum
03-31-2014, 03:09 AM
Seems like they finally turned her into a sex object, like Rikku. Makes sense. If you're going to have just one main character, she's gotta be seen in underwear and very skimpy outfits, because Japan. She didn't need to be portrayed in such a way because XIII had Vanille. And XIII-2 had Serah (and very little Lightning anyway).

Fynn
03-31-2014, 06:33 AM
It's not just because Japan. The West does it a lot as well.

Ayen
03-31-2014, 05:32 PM
Also, because it's socially unacceptable and kinda creepy :D

They wouldn't bat an eyelash at it in Japan.

SuperMillionaire
04-15-2014, 06:21 PM
I think Lightning should have a feminine boyfriend, to complement her masculinity.

krissy
04-16-2014, 03:40 AM
i'll grow out my hair