PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Movies

Elskidor
11-19-2013, 11:35 AM
What are some of your favorite movies of all time? I use to collect movies like they were going extinct, but I've gotten rid of a lot of them over the last couple years. I still own a good (not all of them are good) 1,000 or so on DVD and Blu Ray. Any body else a movie buff? Any favorites or preferred genre?

Shorty
11-19-2013, 01:49 PM
The Royal Tenenbaums is my favorite movie. Notable mentions are Lost in Translation, Donnie Darko, The Darjeeling Limited, Rushmore, Raiders of the Lost Ark, On the Waterfront and too many others.

I find myself drawn to film noir and dark comedies.

noxious.sunshine
11-19-2013, 03:47 PM
I love Lost in Translation....

Dancer in the Dark is mad depressing, but still up there in the list...

I have too many faves.... Clueless, Transformers 2, Mean Girls, La Misma Luna, Sin Nombre, Spirited Away, Bridesmaids, Captain Ron, Home Alone 2, Wizard of Oz, bunch of Disney Movies, yadda yadda yadda

Pike
11-19-2013, 04:23 PM
I'm gonna have to give it to "Aliens", although "Rain Man" is up there as well.

Loony BoB
11-19-2013, 05:51 PM
The Emperor's New Groove.

I Took the Red Pill
11-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Eyes Wide Shut, Barton Fink, and Star Wars Episode IV

Spuuky
11-19-2013, 06:18 PM
I could list too many. Today, I feel like watching Taken most.

Araciel
11-20-2013, 04:38 AM
Tons, but those that come to mind at the moment -

Big Trouble in Little China
Original Indiana Jones trilogy
Original Star Wars trilogy
Lord of the Rings trilogy (i guess the hobbit too)
Aliens and Predator/Predators
Stardust
The Princess Bride
The Fifth Element
The Man With No Name Trilogy
Chuck Bronson movies that aren't Death Wish

uhhh that's about it for now.

krissy
11-20-2013, 07:10 AM
i have advent children on dvd and blu ray in special edition

Chris
11-20-2013, 08:37 AM
To mention just a few:

- Jurassic Park
- Hook
- Bram Stoker's Dracula
- Children of Men
- Stardust

Elskidor
11-24-2013, 06:15 AM
I forgot I created this and forgot to respond. This topic is too broad and hard. I like a zilllion movies, but since I just watched Mystic River I'll name that as one of my favorites. The same story could have been told with lesser actors and it wouldn't have worked at all, but the acting on this movie is so superb it just makes for one hell of a drama.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-24-2013, 05:32 PM
-Boondock Saints
-Serenity
-The Princess Bride
-Robin Hood: Men In Tights
and
-Anything by Studio Ghibli

Del Murder
11-24-2013, 05:52 PM
The Godfather and The Godfather Part II - the epitome of excellence in cinema in writing, acting, and directing
Jurassic Park - great blend of action, suspense, and Ian Malcom wisecracks, also dinosaurs
Star Wars original trilogy - greatest sci-fi adventure of all time
Lord of the Rings trilogy - greatest fantasy adventure of all time
Die Hard - greatest action movie of all time (the others in the series, except the most recent one, are pretty great too)
The Big Lebowski - this is my pick for the best comedy, but it may not be as funny to those who have never lived in Los Angeles
Raiders of the Lost Ark - awesome action and adventure with some cool mythology as well

Shiny
11-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Asking me what my favorite movies are is like asking me to type out War and Peace. Some of my favorite movies in no particular order are Pan's Labyrinth, The Green Mile, The Graduate, Children of Men, Heathers, Reality Bites, Jurassic Park, A Clockwork Orange, Amelie, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men (or rather any Coen Brothers film except Fargo and that one with Matt Damon), Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, The Matrix, The Dark Knight, The Lion King, any Hayao Miyazaki film, and Up.

Electroshock Therapy
11-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Moon. A small, but beautiful sci-fi drama.

And a good many of films Shiny posted above.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-26-2013, 02:42 AM
Oh!

The Fall

That is an amazing movie.

Shiny
11-26-2013, 04:21 AM
Forgot to mention We Hot American Summer, The Wrestler, Alien, and Black Swan. Alien I must mention because I consider it the best sci fi horror film of all time.

Shorty
11-26-2013, 04:22 AM
WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER

Shiny, we are film soul mates. I mean it, this is serious.

Shiny
11-26-2013, 04:25 AM
Lets do a movie night!

Shorty
11-26-2013, 04:29 AM
A movie night in which we spend the entire time quoting and not watching.

Our love is god. Let's go get a slushie.

Scotty_ffgamer
11-26-2013, 04:52 AM
I'm a lot like Shiny with regards to typing out my favorites. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are: Royal Tennenbaums, Rushmore, The Darjeeling Limited, every Coen Brothers movie I've seen so far, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, every movie by Miyazaki (except for Ponyo and Arriety), From Up on Poppy Hill, Lost in Translation, The Lion King, Aladdin, Up, Jurassic Park, Pan's Labyrinth, Alien, and Suspiria.