PDA

View Full Version : [XIII-2] Why people don't like the ending

Scotty_ffgamer
11-21-2013, 04:20 AM
Obviously there will be spoilers since this is about the end of the game. Anyways, I'm just a little curious to get people's perspectives about why they don't like the ending (and possibly the story as a whole) of XIII-2. Was it mainly the To be continued... , or was it something else about the ending? Inversely, was there anyone who really liked the ending/story of this game?

Jessweeee♪
11-21-2013, 04:41 AM
I was okay with it. Story wise I went in with low expectations and just enjoyed the ride for what it was. I think the biggest thing is that is has very little impact because you know Serah isn't dead. It's "to be continued" and there are time travel shenanigans. Square hasn't let a permanent party member die and stay dead in a Final Fantasy game since Aeris (unless they were dead from the start like that one person).

Scotty_ffgamer
11-21-2013, 05:27 AM
That's true, especially now that we know that a new game is for sure coming out. I know back when the game first came out they had said that it didn't mean there would be a new game, and most people just figured that the Requiem of the Goddess DLC was going to tie up the loose ends.

At the same time, I don't know anything about Lightning Returns now that the rules of the universe seemed to have completely changed for a third time. Assuming Serah does come back, I will be interested in seeing if she will be like Yeul in that she is reborn with the same looks and abilities, but is still not exactly the same Serah.

Either way, I do find the ending interesting in a lot of ways. Even if it's all undone in the future, for this game at least you have a villain that actually completely succeeds in his plans... Actually, on another note about Caius, I also find it interesting that he is essentially playing the role that your main cast played in the first game. He is doing everything he can to fight fate by attempting to kill Etro, just as your party was fighting fate by fighting off the fal'Cie.

Omni-Odin
11-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Actually, on another note about Caius, I also find it interesting that he is essentially playing the role that your main cast played in the first game. He is doing everything he can to fight fate by attempting to kill Etro, just as your party was fighting fate by fighting off the fal'Cie.

This story just gets a +1 from me since you said this. Never would have thought about that, but yes I'm almost positive you're right and that's what they were going for. The XIII-verse is a rough world.

maybee
11-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Because it was a bit trollish. We all assumed that it was going to be the last chapter of Final Fantasy 13 and not Lightning Returns, and see Lightning happy like promised. Only to get trolled and have to wait for Lightning Returns.

So hence the awakening of fans pissed.

I used to be annoyed by it, but not anymore, plus Final Fantasy VII's ending is just as bad if not worse.

Eagle299
12-09-2013, 11:55 PM
I liked the ending of this one. I knew there would be a third installment before I bought this game. So setting up for it here was the smart way to go.

Del Murder
12-10-2013, 02:13 AM
The regular ending was fine. The special ending was stupid. It totally went against what Caius's motivations were and was out of character for him. And the Lightning stuff made no sense at all. I mean, the plot of this game didn't make much sense to begin with, but I was hanging with it for the most part. The 'To Be Continued' was just the icing on this sour cake. I literally stopped caring what happened to the characters of this world at this point. They seem to be able to come and go from eras and worlds and death as they please, so why should I care about them?

Scotty_ffgamer
12-10-2013, 07:24 AM
I should watch that special ending again. I didn't remember having an issue with it, but I'm probably remembering it wrong. What exactly about it seemed to be going against Caius's motives throughout the game.

Honestly, I think if there could have been a few tweaks to the ending (and if the To be Continued was cut from it), this would be a pretty interesting ending to a game in this series.

Del Murder
12-10-2013, 04:23 PM
It's been a while for me too, but from what I remember Caius's motives through the whole game was to save Yuel and break her cycle. He went to extreme means to do it, but it was all for her. After the regular ending where Noel and Serah put a stop to all that, the 'secret ending' implies that he actually just wanted to take over the world and be an evil bastard. That went against his characterization throughout the game. I could have interpreted it wrong.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-10-2013, 05:54 PM
I think I partially interpreted it that way, but I think I also interpreted it as him wanting to have that control so he could ensure the cycle stays broken. Or something. Again, I need to watch it again. I just know I interpreted the scene through the lens of his motivations throughout the 70ish hours of my gameplay beforehand rather than have those few seconds change my opinion of his motivations throughout the entire game. I guess we may see in Lightning Returns why he did what he did.

Sephiroth
12-10-2013, 07:10 PM
The regular ending was fine. The special ending was stupid. It totally went against what Caius's motivations were and was out of character for him. And the Lightning stuff made no sense at all.

While you are right about Yeul characters can have more motivations and intentions, but mainly he did it for Yeul, that is right.

All of it makes sense. The story is just not complete with only the first two. You will see that he does not really rule the Nova Chrysalia. That does someone else.