PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Baking/Hampers

Night Fury
11-27-2013, 07:49 AM
What are you lot going to be cooking over Christmas? Not the big ol' Christmas din dins, but I'm talking about all the yummy treats!

I'm a bit strapped for cash, and I thought it might be nice to do some baked goods for Phil's family. I don't know, I feel I don't know them well enough to justify buying a present for them, so baking them a nice desert is quite personal but nice - and isn't too much!

I got a lovely tart tin a few weeks ago, so I'd like to make some chilled pies! I've been looking at Nigella's Grasshopper Pie (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/grasshopper-pie-recipe/index.html) as it looks so amazing!

http://sugarholicsanonymous.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/img_0011_out_1.jpg

I also found a recipe for Red Velvet Biscuits. (http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/11780/red-velvet-biscuits.aspx?o_is=LV) These look fantastic, and a bit less time consuming than the cake - and they'll keep a bit longer too!

I make delicious vanilla shortbread that I'd like to try some flood icing on as they always look spectacular!

And no doubt I'll be making my famous Christmas trifle which is filled with booze and calories! :jess:

I can't wait! There's something about cooking up lots of sweet treats at Christmas to box up and give away! :D

Ooooh! I'm also planning on making a Pavlova with homemade salted caramel ice cream. I'll probably top it off with lots of berries and lashings of caramel sauce. Mmmmmm!!! I can't waaaaaaait!!!!

Rantz
11-27-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm thinking about making gingerbread muffiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiins!!!!!

Jinx
11-27-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm also a bit broke at the moment, so I was planning on making cookies and fudge!

Minami
11-27-2013, 11:31 AM
I always do a lot of baking. I'll be making around 200 mince pies (with homemade mincemeat) for the customers at work to show my appreciation for them.

Home wise i will just make simple stuff like cupcakes, jam tarts and rice crispie cakes (Basically the only baking stuff my brothers will eat)

Last year i made a croquembouche which was fun, but i won't be attempting anything like that this year as i only have two days off over Christmas.

Locky, that pavlova you plan on making sounds delicious

fire_of_avalon
11-28-2013, 02:11 AM
Your grasshopper pie link leads to the red velvet biscuits and it makes me so mad BECAUSE I WANT TO SEE THAT PIE.

I haven't made any plans yet because I just got done with Thanksgiving. Give me some recovery time and I'll keep you posted on the good things I'm making.

noxious.sunshine
11-28-2013, 02:50 AM
Brownies.

*giggles*

Night Fury
11-28-2013, 03:34 AM
Edited for you foa!

Miriel
12-02-2013, 06:12 AM
This year, I plan on tackling Momofuku's Crack Pie recipe: Recipe: Momofuku's Crack Pie - Los Angeles Times (http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/11/food/la-fo-crackpierec11-2010feb11)

noxious.sunshine
12-02-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm not really big on baking treats unless my daughter's around.

I'd hoped to make homemade Christmas sugar cookies with her, but it looks like that won't be happening this year.

I've got the stuff to make my mom's fudge, but I'm anti-Kitchen right now for awhile. After spending like 5 hrs in the kitchen on Thanksgiving, I'm like "NOOOOO! Don't wanna cook! You can't make me!"

Pumpkin
12-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Chocolate cake.

Elskidor
12-05-2013, 04:24 PM
I'm probably going to recook Thanksgiving dinner. I'm not big into baking, so if Wifey doesn't bake then I guess there will be no sweets, except Eggnog.

noxious.sunshine
12-09-2013, 01:13 AM
I'll have Parker Thursday & Friday after all before we leave for NYC, so we'll be doing cookies after all! I may do my mom's chocolate covered pretzels too.. I swear she invented those.

I wish I had my mom's sucker molds. In addition to the Halloween ones, she has Santa/Christmas sucker molds as well.

I finally made my mom's fudge - a wopping like 4 lbs of it. BF has already eaten 2 lbs.

Jinx
12-09-2013, 01:14 AM
wait, what's a hamper?

Night Fury
12-09-2013, 03:36 AM
A hamper must be a very English way of saying "food basket" :D

Jinx
12-09-2013, 03:39 AM
lol, yeah here they're for dirty clothes xD

noxious.sunshine
12-09-2013, 04:02 PM
We're gonna put fewds in our -hampers-!

Actually, if I baked enough treats to give to people, I probably -would- employ my clothes hamper for transport purposes.. Wipe it down with Clorox wipes, line it with my red Giftmas/Winter blanket or something... Everything in containers or wrapped, of course.

Night Fury
12-24-2013, 06:15 AM
So I just got done putting together my treat boxes!

They have Kahlua brownies and shortbread men in them! :) I also stuffed the bottom of the box with some shredded christmas wrapping to cushion it and make it extra cute!

I had a lot of spare cookie dough too, so I'm making melted snowmen biscuits! I will share a couple of pics when they're done too!

Night Fury
12-24-2013, 08:10 AM
My mini melting snowmen cookies!
I did make bigger ones but they were kind of ugly looking so I was glad to have made smaller cookies because these ones turned out fabulously!

I also had a crack at strawberry santas! They're cute if a little lop sided :p

Minami
12-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Yumyum those cookies and strawberry Santas look delicious!

Here's a picture of the cupcakes i made yesterday