PDA

View Full Version : JRPGs With The Best Stories

Forsaken Lover
11-27-2013, 06:18 PM
It's a bit of a generalization that people play JRP Gs more for story and characters than actual gameplay but it certainly holds true for me. I can tolerate bad combat and terrible dungeons so long as the plot interests me.

As it stands I have many, many JRP Gs to play. I'm a complete novice in the genre to be honest, even if I have beaten most Final Fantasy's.

So my question to you all is which Japanese role-playing games have the most fascinating or well-done narratives?

Spuuky
11-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Well, time to divide some opinions. I like Xenosaga.

Sephiroth
11-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Not counting Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts:

Nier. However, Nier Gestalt since I think this version is way more fitting.

Bolivar
11-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Xenogears
Dragon Quest V
Tactics Ogre & Final Fantasy Tactics
I'll suggest Final Fantasy IX on this one.

Forsaken Lover
11-28-2013, 03:50 AM
Let's see...some games I usually hear brandied about as BEST VIDEO GAME STORY EVER

Persona 3 and 4 - and 2 if you are an old gamer
Tales of Symphonia - seems to be the most popular Tales game in terms of Plot as far as I can tell

Pete for President
11-28-2013, 04:13 AM
FFX, Vagrant Story, FF Tactics and Dark Souls (if that counts) all done the trick for me.

Ayen
11-30-2013, 04:17 AM
Well, time to divide some opinions. I like Xenosaga.

I second this. Played it for hours.

I want to add Legend of Dragoon and Legend of Legaia but it's been ages since I played either.

Del Murder
11-30-2013, 04:31 AM
Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI are probably my favorite stories. Xenogears is good too.

Madame Adequate
11-30-2013, 04:20 PM
The Suikoden series is pretty much the best of all, and II the best within the series.

I think FFs VI and VII are amazing, but X is best of all from that series.

I do like Legend of Legaia and Legend of Dragoon's stories but like ToriJ it's been a longass time since I played them (need to change that) so I might be offbase.
Front Mission 3.
Grandia.

Del Murder
11-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Xenoblade Chronicles also has a very cool story. It's a must-have if you own a Wii.

Carl the Llama
11-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Final Fantasy VII

That's right I went there.