PDA

View Full Version : Happy Cluck Cluck Day

Elskidor
11-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Another holiday based around food is here! What are y'all doing? I'm doing something very small since it's just the wife, daughter and I. I'm slowly cooking a small turkey, potatoes, stuffing and rolls while everyone else sleeps in. I love the smell of Thanksgiving. It's almost as good as the food itself. We decided to steer clear of our families and unneeded drama this year, and just goof around the house. It's kinda nice for a change.

Agent Proto
11-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Cluck Cluck? Don't you mean Gobble Gobble.

It seems I'll be celebrating with some relatives in Maryland.

Pike
11-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Just me and my dad and some pumpkin pie :) Good enough for me!

Slothy
11-28-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm doing what I do any other day because, just like in World War 2, America is late to the party.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-28-2013, 05:07 PM
I'll have a family get together in a few hours which should be nice. Everyone's always friendly asking questions like "So how's work?" or "Get a girlfriend yet?". I try to dodge some of those, haha. When it's time to eat I bolt straight for my cousins room where we can just eat and talk about video games. Which reminds me I should tell him about the Zelda themed 3DS I saw the other day.

Such a wide array of food, I agree about the smell of Thanksgiving. There's also a nostalgic element to it. When I smell these big feasts that only happen a few times a year, I can't help but be reminded of all the memories from previous years in different relatives houses.

I'll be a cashier tonight, though. Kill me now :stare:

Freya
11-28-2013, 05:14 PM
I made a double layer pumpkin cheese cake. I have two thanksgivings to go to so that'll be fun. Made one for each of them so lots of cheesecake today!

Shorty
11-28-2013, 05:29 PM
We've rescheduled our holiday until Saturday. :( I hate rescheduling events, but I'm still excited.

My sister will be here from Las Vega! Cooking and baking with her is the most fun thing in the world. One of us sits on the counter and looks for mood-fitting music while the other one uses the space in the kitchen to do things and then we trade off. We stop far too often in fits of laughter at whatever it is we're talking about, so things are never done in a timely manner. We'll probably end up making all of the sides and desserts, my mom will only be responsible for the turkey. And then later that night we're going to go get drunk with friends in a hotel room.

I miss our big family Thanksgivings in Utah with 20-30 people, but I'm slowly getting used to the smaller functions.

Happy Thanksgiving, Americans! http://fc01.deviantart.net/images/i/2001/41/8/d/Emoticon_-_Turkey.gif

Bunny
11-28-2013, 05:47 PM
In the seven years my wife and I have been together, we haven't spent a single Thanksgiving just the two of us. So that is what we are going to be doing today. We're also doing duck instead of turkey, since turkey is boring and duck is delicious. We got together with her family last Sunday for the family Thanksgiving and there was drama, so we want to avoid that today.

fire_of_avalon
11-28-2013, 06:16 PM
My family had our small Thanksgiving yesterday because my sister has to work a 12 hour shift today. So today, while everyone else is eating fresh stuff, I'll be making turkey sandwiches and watching movies and goofing off online in my jammies.

Calliope
11-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Spuuky and I are going to hang out and eat pancakes, and then in the afternoon I'm going to my friend's house to listen to records, and then in the evening we are going to go eat dinner at Giggles' house.

Parker
11-28-2013, 06:35 PM
ima turkey irl actually and find this "holiday" abhorrent

Parker
11-28-2013, 06:35 PM
much like how i find psy abhorrent actually

noxious.sunshine
11-28-2013, 07:33 PM
It's just me, my bf, our roomie, -my- Parker, and the cat.

I will be drinking and cooking and smoking. XD

Jinx
11-28-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm Scrooge McTurkey.

Crop
11-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Turkey is actually a very dry and tasteless meat, I don't eat it over Christmas and we don't have thanksgiving in this country...so I guess I'm thankful for that.

Shorty
11-28-2013, 07:52 PM
That's what seasonings and gravy are for, silly!

Parker
11-28-2013, 07:54 PM
a lot of people cook it terribly but it can be moist and tasty as heck!

Crop
11-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Sounds like I need to come to one of your houses for thanksgiving.

Parker
11-28-2013, 07:58 PM
nah my mum cant cook for shit

Calliope
11-28-2013, 08:02 PM
About to have lunch, waiting for my friend to come over. On the menu I have roasted carrot soup, kale salad, miniature lentil loaves with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy. I am glad I get to share.

Madame Adequate
11-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Did y'all know it's Hanukkah today as well? It's very rare that the two fall on the same day. Happy thanksgivvukah!

starlet
11-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Im going to my mom's boyfriends house. He lives on 70 acres of property and hunts off of his own land. Im not sure if we're having turkey of venison :jess:

And I made pumpkin cheesecake yesterday that im bringing today :D

Shorty
11-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Mmm, pumpkin cheesecake is so good!

noxious.sunshine
11-28-2013, 08:45 PM
I made a pumpkin cheesecake too! Lolol

and a gluten free tres leches for my sister and gf (I made my own whipped cream by hand. I'm so proud of myself!!)

... I'm doing yeast rolls, a turkey, broccolli & cauliflower gratin, roasted asparagus, soupless/ lighter green bean casserole, 3 cheese mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, salad....

Appetizers, I'm making bacon wrapped walnuts and buffalo chicken dip.

I think I'm going overboard. XD it's my first thanksgiving cooking for more than 2 people though! Lol

Also, one of the Mexican places worked at did turkey fajitas on thanksgiving... Holy chuck were they the bomb. Even better than chicken .... Way more moist and tender and.... Omg.

Elskidor
11-28-2013, 09:02 PM
a lot of people cook it terribly but it can be moist and tasty as heck!

That is absolutely right. Most people don't know how to cook a turkey for the life of them. It's actually very easy and one of the more tasty meats once you figure it out.

Slothy
11-28-2013, 09:36 PM

Having to add things to the meat to make it palatable does not make the meat very good.

Bunny
11-29-2013, 12:17 AM

Having to add things to the meat to make it palatable does not make the meat very good.

So... when you cook meat, you do not add anything to it?

Elskidor
11-29-2013, 12:25 AM
I can't think of any meat I cook that I don't add something or another to.

Sephex
11-29-2013, 02:19 AM
Went to my Uncle's house with my family. I got mildly intoxicated, ate too much, and watched Football.

I expect to puke an American flag later.

Slothy
11-29-2013, 02:40 AM

So... when you cook meat, you do not add anything to it?

I add things to meat all of the time. But a steak also tastes damn good and juicy without adding a thing to it. That's because a steak is a very nice bit of meat (and beef in general really).