PDA

View Full Version : Seriously

Spooniest
11-29-2013, 03:36 AM
How do people get around town without public transportation? Nashville is still without a subway after years of it being talked about. When, God, when will they build a subway? I have to go to work!

Subways are nice.
This is the life.
Subways are nice.

Man, you're nosy! Take this! :magus:

Do you ever get tired of waiting for shit to happen in terms of the civic improvements to your home city? Discuss...

noxious.sunshine
11-29-2013, 04:43 AM
Nashville isn't big enough for a subway .

Freya
11-29-2013, 04:46 AM
I have a car. So that's how I get around. New car too! Yay bills!

I wish there were more public transportation methods in my area but then... I have my car!

I'd like more passenger trains around the US. Trains are awesome!

escobert
11-29-2013, 04:54 AM
I own a car. there is no such thing as public transportation here.

Calliope
11-29-2013, 06:18 AM
When I left my hometown, public transport was provided by roughly five different bus companies, one ferry company, and one train service. Since then, I believe services have been consolidated so that you can use all or most of these with one metro card. There has been talk for quite a while of a light rail service or expanding the railway - I will be quite pleased if and when this happens. As a consequence of our excellent public transport system, it is extremely common for almost everyone to use it, and pretty common for a lot of older people to never bother to learn to drive.

Since moving, I have been pretty spoiled and have not had to take much public transport, although I usually enjoyed it and would think nothing of a one-way 90 minute bus commute back home. I'm applying for a few jobs though that will entail an hour on the bus to work if I'm successful, which would be a pretty big "lifestyle sacrifice" in the short term.

The most impressive public transport I've seen is probably San Francisco's BART system - seven bucks from the airport to the middle of the city!

Jiro
11-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Public transport is great. Still like to use my car for certain things, but it's nice to be able to relax and not worry about being blamed for any fiery crashes.

Pike
11-29-2013, 09:28 AM
I have a car, but if I didn't, we've got a free city wide bus network and are very friendly to bikers here.

But yeah, public transportation is great and there should be more of it.

noxious.sunshine
11-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Nashville's bus system is terrible. They need to fix it.

IDK I've never ridden a bus except in Phoenix and I only did that 1 time.

RocketMBA
11-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Bicycle. Ride it on roads, ride it on fields, ride it on train tracks: bicycle.

Denmark
11-29-2013, 02:41 PM
i have a car and buy gas to make it go vroom vroom

around here there's a bus network. I've never used it but it's kind of nice knowing it's there if I need it. plus I could walk if I needed to. I think there are taxi services around too, though not in the vein of a major metropolitan area.

Elskidor
11-29-2013, 05:44 PM
I walk or use my car, but I prefer walking everywhere is I could. I hate big cities. I'm in Clarksville/Fort Campbell for now, so not too far from Nashville. Too busy and crowded to walk everywhere, but annoying as hell to drive in.

Shorty
11-29-2013, 06:06 PM
I use my car. I would not use public transportation unless by force or if it were somehow more convenient, like if I lived in a city where parking costs an arm and a leg.

noxious.sunshine
11-29-2013, 06:37 PM
I walk or use my car, but I prefer walking everywhere is I could. I hate big cities. I'm in Clarksville/Fort Campbell for now, so not too far from Nashville. Too busy and crowded to walk everywhere, but annoying as hell to drive in.

I'm right across from Gate 1!

Dat Matt
11-29-2013, 06:49 PM
We live in a fairly good area for public transportation. And by that I mean they cancelled the route outside our house so I need to walk a mile to get another bus which makes me late for work nearly every day.

Dunno why I don't just drive to work every day.

starlet
11-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Public transportation is nearly non-existent here (I live near the motor city, might have something to do with it). I would LOVE to have public transportation though! I might move to NY....I LOATHE OWNING A CAR. They aren't an investment, they're just a worthless money pit. You have to pay for them, pay insurance, pay for gas, pay for repairs when something goes wrong, and if you have a lease and go over your miles you have to pay for that too. Sometimes you even have to pay to park it! Or you could just have a bus/train pass.....I think I'll take that.

Elskidor
11-29-2013, 07:27 PM

I'm right across from Gate 1!

I knew you were close, and I know it's as mall world, but that is just freaky to me lol.

Spooniest
11-29-2013, 08:10 PM
I know it's as mall world,

I too believe it to be as mall world.