PDA

View Full Version : Next-Gen Consoles are apparently a thing now.

KentaRawr!
11-30-2013, 11:29 PM
I honestly didn't notice.

Of the three big consoles, which do you currently have or have plans to get?

Hollycat
11-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Got a PS4, it's pretty nice.

Ayen
11-30-2013, 11:34 PM
No plans as of yet. I can't afford a PlayStation 4, have NO interest in so much as touching the Xbox One and while I'll always love Nintendo for their innovation I don't care much to play with a Wiimote or whatever it is they're using for the Wii-U that I tried out at Walmart once. My current plans are to get a PS3 now that they're cheaper and get caught up on all of those games and exploit the ability to play blu ray discs. If I ever have the money on my side and there are more games available that I'd be interested in I'd probably go with the PS4.

KentaRawr!
11-30-2013, 11:37 PM
No plans as of yet. I can't afford a PlayStation 4, have NO interest in so much as touching the Xbox One and while I'll always love Nintendo for their innovation I don't care much to play with a Wiimote or whatever it is they're using for the Wii-U that I tried out at Walmart once. My current plans are to get a PS3 now that they're cheaper and get caught up on all of those games and exploit the ability to play blu ray discs. If I ever have the money on my side and there are more games available that I'd be interested in I'd probably go with the PS4.

The Wii U uses this do-hicky:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e3/Wii_U_controller_illustration.svg/250px-Wii_U_controller_illustration.svg.png

Pike
11-30-2013, 11:40 PM
Gonna stick to my PC for a long while yet. At some point I'll probably get a PS4 - which feels somewhat weird seeing as, console-wise, I've been primarily an Xbox fan the last couple of generations - but I really haven't done much with consoles in years.

Ayen
11-30-2013, 11:47 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e3/Wii_U_controller_illustration.svg/250px-Wii_U_controller_illustration.svg.png

Yeah, it's weird. The game I was playing on you have to line it up with the big screen in order to line your shots. Not sure how it works with other games. I think it's supposed to also allow you to continue playing the game on that device too, right? Without needing the bigger screen? That was one thing I liked about the Wii-U when seeing it advertised.

Aulayna
12-01-2013, 12:00 AM
PS4 first, then an XBone, then probably a cheap 2nd hand Wii U when/if a new Zelda/Metroid comes out.

KentaRawr!
12-01-2013, 03:33 AM

Yeah, it's weird. The game I was playing on you have to line it up with the big screen in order to line your shots. Not sure how it works with other games. I think it's supposed to also allow you to continue playing the game on that device too, right? Without needing the bigger screen? That was one thing I liked about the Wii-U when seeing it advertised.

Yeah, using the controller's screen as the main is one of the primary features. My sister's roommate has a Wii U, and it works with most games they have. It seems like it'd be great for Netflix, and I've heard that you can do it with VC games as well. I haven't had a lot of time with it, though, and I can't imagine many of the uses it'd have off the top of my head. It makes me think of some sort of mix between the DS and the GBA-GCN cable.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-01-2013, 03:40 AM
hah. PS4 is on par with the utter lack of a decision.
Honestly the only reason I would want the Wii U is X... PS4 will probably have all the rpgs (plus a new IP from thatgamecompany), so I might wind up getting that, but... not immediately.
I'm not that interested in getting a console at the moment, either way.

Bolivar
12-01-2013, 06:04 AM
I got my fixed PS4 back Friday and so far I'm satisfied, slightly crossing over into impressed category. I can see why journalists are deeming it "just another games console" instead of the more future-entertainment suite that Xbox One provides. But so far it has been very next-gen-ish as far as how fluid and instantaneous it is to switch between everything.

The lineup is pretty solid. Ghosts looks and plays fantastic. Killzone is such delicious, next-gen eye candy with extremely fluid gameplay to go with it. It can be a little overwhelming, though, and I'm not sold on the multiplayer just yet, the movement kinda feels off.

The big game changer to me are the free to play games. Blacklight is great and very addicting. I haven't booted up Warframe yet but having played the Steam version I know it'll be a nice go-to co-op outing. And I like knowing that DC Universe is there waiting for me whenever the curiosity strikes me. No matter what your tastes or budget, these games fill out your library with wonderful experiences to be enjoyed and more AAA-quality free games are on the way.

Resogun lives up to the hype and it's also free when you subscribe to PlayStation Plus. Housemarque did it again, putting yet another brilliant spin on the twin-stick shooter genre. If you ask me they've claimed the top spot as leaders in the genre - their releases aren't as prolific as other shmup studios but when they do it's always something amazing.

I plan on grabbing Need for Speed Rivals soon and the incoming Infamous Second Son looks fantastic as well.

DMKA
12-01-2013, 06:27 AM
I got a PS4 on launch day, at the insistence of my significant other.

It's pretty spiffy and I'm enjoying it...even though I'd have been just as well waiting until March, since everything up until that point that I want to play is on PS3 anyway. :p

I'm torn on the Wii U. I want to play Bayonetta 2 when it comes out, but no way am I dropping the current asking price just for that. Maybe by then Wii U's will be really cheap on eBay. :D

I currently have no plans to get an Xbox One.

black orb
12-01-2013, 06:08 PM
>>> I want a Wii-U (just for the xeno game).

I have never had an x-box and I never will. (microsoft doing consoles? lol, I still cant believe it)

I´ll get a PS4 like in... 3 more years, by that time that console will have decent games and will be worth buying..

Anything else is just throwing your money into the trash. But well, some people love to do it so who am I to disagree?..:luca:

Del Murder
12-01-2013, 06:09 PM
I'll get a PS4, and probably WiiU once a game I want comes out for it, like Zelda or a Xeno game.

Ayen
12-01-2013, 06:11 PM
>>> I want a Wii-U (just for the xeno game).

I have never had an x-box and I never will. (microsoft doing consoles? lol, I still cant believe it)

I´ll get a PS4 like in... 3 more years, by that time that console will have decent games and will be worth buying..

Anything else is just throwing your money into the trash. But well, some people love to do it so who am I to disagree?..:luca:

To be fair the 360 isn't a bad console, it's just... If you already have a PS3 there isn't much point in getting one and vice versa, at least game wise. Unless there's an exclusive you really, really want.

Elskidor
12-01-2013, 06:17 PM
PS4 when there is a game I feel I simply just must get, which will probably be Final Fantasy XV....so maybe a PS4 in 2016? My wife's sister likes to flaunt her money though, so I think it's a good possibility we will have one for Christmas in a few weeks, and if that's the case we may get the Wiithingy one day. Never bought an Xbox and never will. I see little point to the system's existence outside of Halo, and I don't care for shooters.

NeoCracker
12-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Already own a WiiU and PS4, as well as the Vita and 3DS. I've pretty much every current gen except the XBone, and by June I plan to have an updated PC. (June is the absolute latest, should be either April or May. :p)

Shauna
12-01-2013, 06:19 PM
PS4 and WiiU at some point.

black orb
12-01-2013, 06:24 PM
To be fair the 360 isn't a bad console.
>>> Sure thing, Im just that kind of guy that loathes Microsoft. If the X-box was made by another company I´d probably got one..:luca:

SirPrizes
12-01-2013, 06:27 PM
I'll probably get a PS4 when FFXV comes out, and a Wii U when Smash is out, assuming I'm not still completely broke by then. No interest whatsoever in the Xbox One.

Psychotic
12-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Not remotely interested in the WiiU. Of the other two I'm definitely leaning more towards the PS4 but I'm going to wait for a price drop, and for the hype to die down so it is clearer which of the two is the best. I've picked the winner every console generation and don't intend to change that habit :D

Del Murder
12-01-2013, 08:35 PM
You'll probably be waiting a while for a PS4 price drop considering it's already $100 cheaper than XBone. My guess is XBone will be the first to drop (possibly with a Kinect-less package) and then PS4 will try to undercut them a few months later, but that will probably be a year from now at the least. Not that there isn't going to be plenty of games to play on the current gen in the meantime!

Psychotic
12-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Sounds good to me, I am in no rush :D I'd find it hard to believe Microsoft will make a version without their flagship kinect though, but we will see. Kinect isn't of any interest to me either truth be told.

Madame Adequate
12-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Sticking with what I have for now, but I'm pretty firmly leaning towards the PS4 when I get the next one. Still, gotta keep an eye on them to see if anything changes, but it's looking like the PS4 is basically a solid console with a couple issues (like all consoles except the Dreamcast, which was actually perfect) whilst the XBone is a tremendous catastrofuck. And I can think of cheaper ways to get doorstops than a WiiU.

I Took the Red Pill
12-01-2013, 08:56 PM
I'll get a PS4 eventually. Before that however, I may buy a WiiU literally only for the new Smash game. I never feel more at home than when I'm playing Smash Bros Brawl with my best friends from back home, but now we're spread pretty thin across the world. The potential for a Smash game with an actually good online component (I'm going to pretend the trainwreck that was Brawl's online mode never existed) would probably be enough to sell me on the entire system.

Ayen
12-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Im just that kind of guy that loathes Microsoft.

Oh, well, can't fault you for that. I had to work with a Dell for seven years.

Sounds good to me, I am in no rush :D I'd find it hard to believe Microsoft will make a version without their flagship kinect though, but we will see. Kinect isn't of any interest to me either truth be told.

The Kinect watches you when you sleep.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-01-2013, 09:50 PM
I'll probably get a PS4 when the price eventually drops, unless I happen upon a lot of money I wasn't expecting. Even then, I'll probably go with putting that money towards student loans. I may change my mind on waiting for a price drop as more games come out thought.

I'll probably get a Wii U as well. Still have never played Windwaker, and I feel like that would be a good thing to play it on. I also want to play the new Mario quite a bit.

I will not get the Xbox One most likely. The exclusives and features don't really interest me.

I already have the Vita and 3DS though!

Bolivar
12-01-2013, 10:43 PM
I want a Vita eventually but Sony needs to start bringing more of that J-Hipster goodness stateside. My 3DS has me covered right now and this is not what I was expecting when the two devices were announced a few years ago.

Mirage
12-01-2013, 11:14 PM
I'll be getting a PS4 once some interesting games pop up for it. In time, I might get a Vita too, for that remote play stuff, and a few vita games.

Carl the Llama
12-02-2013, 12:48 AM
I have plans to get both Wii U and PS4.

For the Wii U Wind Waker HD is just begging to be played... man I loved that game and no longer have the means to play it (lent the game to a so called friend and never got it back) plus it would be nice to have a look at Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem when it eventually comes out.

As for the PS4... well there are so many games I want to play on this console, Child of Light looks fucking AMAZING... absolutely love the art style and can't wait to get my hands on it:

http://i.imgur.com/Iau0LLc.jpg

Is this image not enough to make you want to play this game? The art style is epic and the combat looks pretty nifty to (a mix of strategy mixed in with a healthy dose of Grandia II) and while some people will say "no voice acting? wtf is that all about, I say Shadow of the Colossus had no voice acting and it was still heralded as one of the best games of all time.

Del Murder
12-02-2013, 01:06 AM
Yeah Child of Light looks pretty cool. It's not also for PS3 though?

Nicolas
12-02-2013, 01:20 AM
Yeah. It's pretty much making a release on every system. So no one will be able to miss out.

I already have both the Wii U and the PS4. I enjoy them both. The Wii U finally has games worth playing. All look and play fantastically. For the longest time, ZombiU was the only thing it had going for it. Now you have Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, and Super Mario 3D World to play.

The PS4 is a good improvement on the PS3, but so far that is all it is. The new controller feels great and is a good improvement over the old Dualshocks. I now own Need for Speed Rivals, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin's Creed IV, Killzone Shadowfall, Flower, Sound Shapes, Resogun, and Contrast. All of the games look and play amazingly, but only two games are only for the PS4. The best title, by far, is Resogun, a free (with PS+) downloadable game.

The only system really worth getting soon is probably the Wii U out of the three, but I'm sure during the next year each system will have great reasons to buy them. So, honestly, nobody is really missing out with the new "current" generation.

Carl the Llama
12-02-2013, 01:22 AM

And all the other consoles as well (XBONE, 360, Wii U and PC) But I want to get it on the PS4 just because potato.

Nicolas
12-02-2013, 01:22 AM

And all the other consoles as well (XBONE, 360, Wii U and PC) But I want to get it on the PS4 just because potato.

It'll look amazing though. So amazeballs.

Shaibana
12-03-2013, 02:40 PM
i am at the moment feelinf fine with my ps3, and since the playstation had been my first console (i started with ps2) its only logic to get a ps4 in time.

i will get it in time but at the moment i dont have a job so i dont want to make big purchases. there is still enough life on the ps3, so there is no need to get a ps4 at this very moment

Mirage
12-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Logic? Why?

Wouldn't logic be to get the console with the most games you want?

Shaibana
12-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Logic? Why?

wich is also problaby ps4, besides im happy with the quality of the sony playstation so why would i suddenly change console?

Loony BoB
12-03-2013, 04:23 PM
I'll probably get a PS4 when there is a game I must have, and it's out for PS4. Danielle and I both are keen on getting one, and there isn't much of a point in delaying too long when we know we're gonna buy it. No point buying PS3 games when I can buy them for PS4, right?

I don't buy games as often as most people, though, so it'll probably be around half a year away. Or maybe Danielle and I will split it for our birthdays in March.

I'm considering getting a Wii U eventually, if only because it's backwards compatible and I don't have a Wii. Two birds, one stone kind of thing... but realistically I'll probably give it a miss unless Nintendo finally bother to release a must-buy game. Of which there is only really one option. A deep, rich, graphics-heavy Wii U Pokémon game in which you can literally catch them all, preferrably a MMO which releases additional regions/Pokémon with each expansion. Honestly, why Nintendo have never done this is beyond me because their systems would fly out the doors so fast that both Sony and Microsoft will sweat buckets.

Of course, Sony & Microsoft should have really released something similar by now, but the closest we have is FFXIII-2.

Mirage
12-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Logic? Why?

wich is also problaby ps4, besides im happy with the quality of the sony playstation so why would i suddenly change console?

You don't know the quality of the PS4 yet :p.

Shaibana
12-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Logic? Why?

You don't know the quality of the PS4 yet :p.

neither did i know the quality of the ps3 when i got it :3

Mirage
12-03-2013, 05:49 PM
I did when I got mine. I guess that's where we differ!

Bolivar
12-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Glad we got that sorted out.

Shaibana
12-03-2013, 05:58 PM
I did when I got mine. I guess that's where we differ!

as long as i dont hear majore complaints anywhere, then i trust that it works fine :o

Mirage
12-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Glad we got that sorted out.

I am too :3

Bolivar
12-03-2013, 06:17 PM
If Mirage is happy then I'm happy!

Also anyone who liked the PS3 will probably enjoy the PS4. Already at launch its got the same good mix of AAA and indie that made the PS3 so good.

edczxcvbnm
12-03-2013, 11:24 PM
I am probably going to be sitting this generation out. Nintendo has not greatly appealed to me and most of the games I do want I can now get on the PC. I look at my game collection from the previous generation and most of the stuff isn't an exclusive to only X system. They were multiplatform games. Already at launch that doesn't seem to be changing much.

Plus with a wide variety of indie games, PC seems like the way to go.

Spuuky
12-03-2013, 11:33 PM
I will buy whatever console releases a full single player Dragon Quest game, and no console that doesn't.