PDA

View Full Version : What made you buy FF for Xbox?

Ghosteses
12-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Serious question is serious. me and Freya were talking a little about FFXIII last night so I decided to look up more videos on youtube like reviews and such and this guy had the game on xbox. i was surpized because i did not know the game even existed on xbox

anyway when i was reading through the comments (yup i am dumb enough to do that) someone asked. why would you buy a ff game for xbox?

i thought at first that the guy was just herpaderping but the more i thought about it... the more it was actually a interesting question

If you are into FF you probably bought a PS3 right? i mean i looked in the game list and apart from remakes and gba games spin offs along with DS... between 10 and 12 all the games were on PS2 accept for the FF11 one that came out waaay later for xbox.

what i mean is... if you are a ff fan and were buying a new console would you not buy a ps3 on the 90% chance that a new FF game would probably come to that over any other console?

i am just curious =D this is not me going herpderp lol u bott 4 xbxxxxxxxxx!!11 because i honestly do not care if you did or not but it is more like if you have a ps3 and a xbox what made you decide to get it for xbox instead of ps3?

i noticed my friends brother had 13 for xbox today but he did not have a ps3 when the game came out i guess? the only FF games he owns is tactics on psp and 13.

anyway just curious =D

Shauna
12-01-2013, 09:32 PM
I... only had an Xbox at the time of release. If it had been a PS3 exclusive then I would have gotten a PS3 for it eventually, but it wasn't, so I didn't have to shell out another £300 to play one game.

Ayen
12-01-2013, 09:46 PM
I... only had an Xbox at the time of release.

This. The question makes the assumption that you got an Xbox specifically for the game instead of just getting it on what you had available to you. The 360 was cheaper than the PS3 at the time of purchase so that's what I ended up getting.

Ghosteses
12-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Hmm no that is not what I mean but it makes sense! I basically meant what made you get it for xbox when you already had a PS3 xD

Shauna
12-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Most people I know only had one or the other. I dunno how many people there will be who had both at the time of FF13's release. And I imagine anyone who did would have picked up the PS3 version, because of the disc issue that ToriJ mentioned below.

Ayen
12-01-2013, 09:56 PM
I was mainly referring to the original YouTube comment. I don't know anyone who got it for the Xbox when they have a PS3 since the Xbox had to use three discs just to get all of the game on there.

Ghosteses
12-01-2013, 11:02 PM
oh ok yeah makes sense. the person on youtube had both consoles which is why i thought the question was interesting. i guess maybe someone gave him the game or it was cheaper on xbox

Jessweeee♪
12-01-2013, 11:08 PM
My boyfriend at the time had a 360, I had a PS2. So as that generation of games rolled out I was playing 360 titles.

Mirage
12-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Ghosteses seem to underestimate the amount of people who owned a 360 but no PS3. Few people would buy a PS3 to play FF13 when they already had a 360. If they did, that's what would be a crazy thing to do, not buying the game for 360.

If you have both consoles, you might get it for 360 if you care about gamerscore more than having the best graphics. If they already have a lot of achievements on their 360 account, they might just want to stick to using that.

Ghosteses
12-02-2013, 12:37 AM
maybe i gave the thread the wrong title ;o what i mean is if you own a 360 AND a ps3 and you bought the game for 360... why did you? xD

or would you? maybe it was just this one guy on youtube that did for whatever reason ;o

Ayen
12-02-2013, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't give it much thought, honestly. I hate the more extreme brand loyalty that goes into consoles with some gamers. If I have both systems and I wanted a game that was available on both I'd just get the first copy I could find.

Aulayna
12-02-2013, 01:17 AM
People might just prefer to play it on the XBOX, there's also things like Gamerscore, being able to chat with their LIVE friends etc.

I had a PS3 and an XBOX and got it for the 360 originally, this was purely because our house had a ps3 and 2 360s, one of the 360s and the PS3 were communal and lived in the living room so they could be used by any of our housemates. I had my own 360 from when I still lived with my parents so when I moved out, I kept that one and had it in my room hooked up to my PC monitor. So I got XIII on 360 because it meant I could play it in my room without having to worry that I was stopping other people from using the TV or whatever.

I eventually got it for the PS3 a couple of years later, but that was because I chanced upon a cheap collector's edition in the local game store.

Mahad
12-02-2013, 01:43 AM
If I had had the choice to pick it up for either console, I would gone with the ps3 version; why would you want to go through THREE discs? Yeah sure, you could be one of those gamers who cared about the things just mentioned above like gamerscore, but it doesn't make sense otherwise. I had only a 360 at the time and never felt the need to get a ps3 because there was nothing compelling enough for me to get one. Before it was announced that 13 would not be ps3 exclusive, I did consider purchasing a ps3, but after the announcement and because of the ridiculous price of the ps3 at launch (AND it's lack of interesting games to me) I had no more need for a ps3. Those are days long gone by, but as mentioned above, it most likely comes down to not having a ps3 available at the time.

Ghosteses
12-02-2013, 02:32 AM
so basically gamescore is the big reason someone would get the 360 version over the ps3 version if they had both consoles? that is interesting =D

not sure what gamescore is. is it like trophies?

Bolivar
12-02-2013, 03:10 AM
Gamerscore is like your trophy level, your accumulation of all your achievements reflected in your profile. You have to remember 360 had achievements since the beginning, whereas the PS3 only got trophies at the end of 2008. So a lot of people got invested in them early on and made their 360 the place to play multiplats. The PS3 had better graphics and audio for FFXIII, but not by much, and it's not like FF fans have any problems switching discs to begin with.

DMKA
12-02-2013, 05:21 AM
Most people who bought it for Xbox 360 did so because...that's the console they had!

And when FFXIII came out, significantly less people had PS3s than the number of people who had 360s, due to a number of reasons.

Though you do make a fair point that, apparently, most people who are into FF got a PS3, because FFXIII and FFXIII-2 sold a mere fraction on the 360 compared to on the PS3.

Freya
12-02-2013, 06:49 AM
I was poor and wanted a next gen console at the time so the 360 was cheaper and most games I enjoyed were cross platform. THEN XIII came out. I still can't afford a PS3 but you bet your butt I'll be going for a PS4 when I make my next gen purchase. I have been a sony fangirl since the first playstation but I just went the 360 way this generation and I regret it because there are more PS3 exclusives I want to play than 360. Although Mass Effect 1 was originally 360 only, so there's that. Well until the trilogy pack was released.... OTHER THAN THAT there are more ps3 exclusives out now that I want. When I made my purchase there weren't any out to swing me either way. I went for the cheaper console at the time.

Ghosteses
12-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Aw poor freya =( but yeah i decided to look around after making this thread. PS3 was... SO MUCH MONEY!! OMG

i just thought it was interesting how someone who had both would buy it for 360. I guess it does not really matter at all it was just one of those things that made my curious brain more curious >.>

maybe less PS3s is why it came to 360 in the first place xD i dunno

Psychotic
12-02-2013, 07:37 AM
I don't think Final Fantasy is a series that is tied to any one console brand. I still recall the absolute rage from people on here when it was announced for the 360, as if it was somehow an affront to their very beings that more people would have an opportunity to play FFXIII. It was rather sad, actually.

I don't understand the need for both a PS3 and a 360 anyway, the vast majority of titles are on both with the odd exclusive here and there. If you've got enough disposable income then fair dues I guess.

Jiro
12-02-2013, 11:24 AM
If I had both consoles at the time of Final Fantasy XIII's release then I would have purchased it for Playstation 3 under the expectation that it would look slightly better. I have no idea if this is true or not but that would have been my justification and if I was wrong I wouldn't care because clearly I would've been rich as fuck anyway.

Mirage
12-02-2013, 02:25 PM
so basically gamescore is the big reason someone would get the 360 version over the ps3 version if they had both consoles? that is interesting =D

not sure what gamescore is. is it like trophies?

Some people might also prefer the 360 controller over the DS3 controller. Some people are also insane, but I'm just saiyan.

A minor correction though. Due to FF13's over-use of dithering for transparency, many transparent effects actually look a lot worse on the 360. The fun part of this is that the limitation in PS3 that made the developers use the type of transparency effects they did, is not a limitation that they in practice would run into on 360. So in reality, it's just due to lack of optimization for the 360.

Elskidor
12-02-2013, 04:17 PM
I just wound up being friends with Playstation because Final Fantasy went that route instead of N64 and onward. I didn't think much about it at the time, but now I've been loyal to Sony so long I will never buy an Xbox or let anyone I know buy one either.

Mirage
12-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Why would it bother you if someone you knew got an xbox? How much would their choice affect you in the worst case scenario?

Brand loyality is something I don't think I'll ever understand.

Elskidor
12-02-2013, 05:27 PM
I don't understand it either. I know it is not logical though, lol. I usually don't care, but I've had many Xbox VS Playstation fights with friends while drunk, and the following day I'd come to and realize how stupid it was that we had fought over something so moronic.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-02-2013, 06:42 PM
I don't think Final Fantasy is a series that is tied to any one console brand. I still recall the absolute rage from people on here when it was announced for the 360, as if it was somehow an affront to their very beings that more people would have an opportunity to play FFXIII. It was rather sad, actually.

I don't understand the need for both a PS3 and a 360 anyway, the vast majority of titles are on both with the odd exclusive here and there. If you've got enough disposable income then fair dues I guess.

I don't know what it was like on here, but I know part of the problem was that people thought a bunch of content had gotten cut out of the game so they could port it to the 360 with a reasonable number of discs, etc. I actually still have people bring that up today if the topic of XIII comes up, which is pretty silly.

Anyways, I'll just second what everyone else said for why people would by FFXIII (or XIII-2 even) on 360.

Mirage
12-02-2013, 06:45 PM
I don't know what it was like on here, but I know part of the problem was that people thought a bunch of content had gotten cut out of the game so they could port it to the 360 with a reasonable number of discs, etc. I actually still have people bring that up today if the topic of XIII comes up, which is pretty silly.

Sounds like a pretty reasonable concern, to be honest. And I doubt anyone at SE would ever admit to it being the case even if confronted directly about it, so we'll never really know.

Shiny
12-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Simple, I have an Xbox 360 and I don't have a PS3. The other answer is that newer titles are now for multiple platforms and not exclusive to Sony so I see no reason why I would buy a PS3 just to play Sony titles when I can play it on the one I already own. I think it's silly to be sworn to one console because you're essentially inhibiting yourself as some consoles will offer things others cannot such as Dead Rising 3 ;___;

I am now at a crossroads because I was sure I wanted the PS4, but I also want Dead Rising 3. It's not really worth the purchase for one game though, so I'll just wait it out and see what else is to offer before making a next gen purchase.

Aulayna
12-03-2013, 01:06 AM
I am now at a crossroads because I was sure I wanted the PS4, but I also want Dead Rising 3. It's not really worth the purchase for one game though, so I'll just wait it out and see what else is to offer before making a next gen purchase.

I imagine Dead Rising 3 won't remain XBone exclusive forever. Capcom tend not to stick to exclusivity and as soon as whatever deal they made with Microsoft runs it's contractual course, you can bet DR3 will land on PS4 and PC.

Bolivar
12-03-2013, 03:50 AM

Sounds like a pretty reasonable concern, to be honest. And I doubt anyone at SE would ever admit to it being the case even if confronted directly about it, so we'll never really know.

Square Enix cut a game's worth of content from Final Fantasy XIII | Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/13/square-enix-cut-a-games-worth-of-content-from-final-fantasy-xii/)

You also have to keep in mind the announcement came at a time when there was a growing library of titles that were showing what a PS3 exclusive could do. Given Square's pedigree with technology, it is kind of sad to know we'll never see what they could achieve focusing on one platform. But in the end the game looked pretty good on both systems, so it wasn't really a big deal.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-03-2013, 04:58 AM
I have both the PS3 and 360 consoles. When I went out to buy XIII-2 I happened to see the 360 collector's edition so that's the version I decided to purchase. Around the same time I bought the original XIII on 360 as well because I know that save data carries over from one to the next and I wanted that.

I borrowed and beat XIII a long time ago but didn't end up buying it until around the release of XIII-2.

DMKA
12-03-2013, 05:16 AM
If I had both consoles at the time of Final Fantasy XIII's release then I would have purchased it for Playstation 3 under the expectation that it would look slightly better. I have no idea if this is true or not but that would have been my justification and if I was wrong I wouldn't care because clearly I would've been rich as fuck anyway.

I had both consoles when it came out (I still have both consoles) and it looks significantly better on the PS3. The difference certainly isn't big enough to warrant buying a PS3 when you already had a 360, but it's definitely there.

XIII-2, however, looks identical on both.

Mirage
12-04-2013, 04:01 AM
But has a slightly better framerate on PS3.