PDA

View Full Version : Fantastical fantasy anime, anyone?

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-02-2013, 12:59 AM
I dunno if this is the case with everyone, but for me RPGs and fantasy-adventure anime kinda go hand-in-hand, and always will. But not just any fantasy/adventure. I can only really -feel- sword & sorcery stories that are drawn and performed in a certain style.
It's just a pity that there never seems to be anything to match my preference these days.
I feel like I'm starting to run out of material because of this. I've watched so much old 90's-80's fantasy anime now that I'm starting to scrape the bottom of the pan. The only recent anime I've been keeping track with is Magi: Labyrinth of Magic, and it sure is fun and adventurous. But it still lacks that -style- I need.
I don't know how to express this 'style' in words...
Regardless, I wanna share what I've seen and enjoyed (or not) for anyone who's into this kind of stuff.

> SO I've watched Slayers. All of it. Slayers TV, Slayers Next, Slayers Try, the two OVAs Slayers Special and Book of Spells, and all the OVA movies (Gorgeous, Premium, Return, Perfect, Great)... You're looking at a REAL Slayers nut here. This is the style I REALLY like the most.
> Record of Lodoss War. Both the OVA and the TV series
> Legend of Crystania movie and OVA
> Louie the Rune Soldier, set in the same universe as RoLW and LoC, and probably the VERY LAST of its kind. ...Though it's not as much adventure as it could have been.
> Sorcerous Stabber Orphen and SSO: Revenge
> Bakuretsu Hunters, TV and OVA
> Ruin Explorers; it's very feel-good and makes me happy. Very close to Slayers-style.
> Gokudo-Kun Manyuuki, also very much like Slayers in mood and delivery.
> Popolocrois... This is a little different.
> Final Fantasy Legend of the Crystals (oh who here hasn't seen THAT)
> Amon Saga (because Amano)
> Dragon Ball (I've only ever enjoyed the first series. Z and GT are kinda bleh for me.)
> Fortune Quest (very cute).
> Magic Knight Rayearth... yeah it's actually a magical girl anime with modern-day protagonists but it's so well done I put it in the same category as Sword&Sorcery.
> Fushigi Yuugi. It's a little like uhhh... a gender-bent harem anime?
> Escaflowne. This is one that I... disliked. Probably because the protagonists were so unpleasant.
> Eden's Bowy was really neat!
> Legend of Lemnear... that one's oooold
> Those who Hunt Elves, another thing with modern Earth protagonists, but too hilarious to pass up
> Berserk: Dark. A little TOO dark for me... and not as much magic as I want.
> Bastard!! It's seriously too bad this didn't keep going.
> Violinist of Hameln OVA... The OVA is really funny and captures the mood of its manga, but... don't watch the TV series. Don't EVER watch the tv series. It's complete, angsty, low-budget dross and it derails from the manga to a bad extent.
> Sorcerer on the Rocks, has a similar mood and protagonist to Bastard, set in the same universe as Bakuretsu Hunters
> Dragon Half. Great manga, adorable OVA, I really wish it had gone on for longer. If you don't like chibis, don't watch this
> Tales of Eternia... Um, I would have liked it more if the character designs weren't so nerve-wracking.
> Kouryuu Densetsu Villgust OVA. Really cute, if you're ok with chibified characters.
> Arc the Lad! This one's really atmospheric.
> Wild Arms isn't quite sword & sorcery... it's more guns & sorcery. And in a Wild Wild West kind of style. Fancy that.
> Shadow Skill, too, isn't quite swords & sorcery... but FISTS & Sorcery. The action is amazing!
> Weathering Continent is kind of hard to find, but it's really beautiful and atmospheric. Vague, though. Watch it for the pretties, not the stories.
> Claymore was a little... too dreary for my tastes
> Guinn Saga, also very dreary... I couldn't finish it.
> Oh.. before I forget, Slayers had a sequel in like 2k6 or something, Revolution and Evolution-R. I didn't really like it that much... it was a little disappointing.
> Magi: Labyrinth of Magic. It's recent, and ongoing! I'm working on the current season
> Legend of Legendary Heroes isn't exactly what I call legendary. I should've passed it up.
> Zero no Tsukaima, I don't get. ...Really, it doesn't interest me in the slightest. :/ I tried, ok?
> Majuu Senshi Luna Varga; Old, and... a little weird. Summary: This girl has Godzilla attached to her butt or something.

Ayen
12-02-2013, 01:04 AM
I haven't seen Final Fantasy Legend of the Crystals. I haven't even heard of it until just now. I watched Slayers, Record of Lodoss War, Claymore and of course Dragon Ball from that list, they're some of my favorite anime of all time. I also prefer the original Dragon Ball to the more repetitive and drawn out battles in Z, but I'll still watch Z when it's on. Not sure if it counts since it's been ages since I watched, but have you heard of Sorcerer Hunters? That was another anime I used to watch with my brother and it was pretty good.

black orb
12-02-2013, 01:15 AM
>>> Slayers in all its incarnations TV, movies, OVA, manga, etc..
I love it..:luca:

It just need more videogames..

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-02-2013, 02:20 AM

Yeah, it does.
I did play Royal and Wonderful, and the SNES Slayers game. ...I still haven't found a copy of Royal 2 though. One of these days...

Oh, heh, I forgot to put Premium on that list. I always forget about that one.

Ayen
12-02-2013, 02:21 AM
There are Slayers games?

Let me guess, they only came out in Japan.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-02-2013, 03:42 AM
:kakapo::save::heart:Correct!!!:heart::save::kakapo:
You win a prize!:onnanoko:

Previews of something you'll probably never play unless you download it online and learn Japanese or something.
ymjPUPMyj_A Nk7hbTUy_EU 1T4kUUmktFQEi1_PDDFanM
...Well at least the SNES game has an english patch.

Karifean
12-02-2013, 10:39 AM
The one that comes immediatly to mind for me is Sword Art Online.

Forsaken Lover
12-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Inuyasha and Fairy Tail.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-03-2013, 02:01 AM
Oh, yeah I watched Inuyasha too. I wouldn't exactly put it in the sword & sorcery category, though, simply because it's set in 'historic Japan'.
I wouldn't count Sword Art Online or .hack// either because they're set in a digital world.

I watched the first episode of Fairy Tail, though. That counts as legit fantasy... need to continue that. It looked kinda promising.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-03-2013, 02:59 AM
I love Claymore. Glad to see it was at least mentioned in the OP.

I haven't seen Final Fantasy Legend of the Crystals. I haven't even heard of it until just now.

I'm in this boat, too. Unfortunately.

I'm intrigued. I've got to check this out! Does Square have any rights to this? How was the company that made it able to use the franchise name?

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-03-2013, 09:49 PM
I haven't seen Final Fantasy Legend of the Crystals. I haven't even heard of it until just now.

I'm in this boat, too. Unfortunately.

I'm intrigued. I've got to check this out! Does Square have any rights to this? How was the company that made it able to use the franchise name?

Sadly, FF:LOC falls under the license of Urban Vision Entertainment. It was directed by Rintaro, the guy behind Galaxy Express 999, under Studio Madhouse.
I don't know if Hironobu Sakaguchi or anyone else at Squaresoft had any active hand in it, BUT they seemed to have veto power and they didn't really do anything to stop its production.

There's also Final Fantasy Unlimited, which I have yet to actually watch. Nobuo Uematsu actually played a key role in composing the music, so there's that.

black orb
12-04-2013, 04:07 AM

Yeah, it does.
I did play Royal and Wonderful, and the SNES Slayers game. ...I still haven't found a copy of Royal 2 though. One of these days...

Oh, heh, I forgot to put Premium on that list. I always forget about that one.
>>> By the way..

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-LS1kk6Eo1YM/UlldMocv8TI/AAAAAAAALDU/9dp7WX7wFK0/w291-h500-no/2822-Heroes_Phantasia_JPN_PSP-PLAYASiA.jpgHeroes Phantasia [JPN-PSP-ISO] ? NicoBlog (http://www.nicoblog-games.com/psp-iso/heroes-phantasia-jpn-psp-iso.html)

>>> Not exactly a Slayers game but you got Lina Inverse and Orphen (Sorcerous Stabber Orphen) too. I dont recognize the other guys..:luca:

Ayen
12-04-2013, 04:17 AM
-sees Slayer and Read or Die girl- I must get a PSP.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-04-2013, 06:03 AM
I see the girl from Read or Die, Rune soldier Louie, the guy from S-Cry-Ed, and Mai HimE...
that's about it xD

But yeah I remember seeing the trailers to that. My friend went crazy over it, then I heard nothing about it when it came out.

Forsaken Lover
12-04-2013, 09:06 PM
While Fushigi Yuugi is a reverse harem, it's also a sweeping adventure to save the world.

Absolutely gorgeous soundtrack too.
FUSHIGI YUUGI OST - FOR THE ONE I LOVE (ballad version) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAMFsL6eEH0)
FY Character Songs - Inoru Youni Anata o Aishiteru - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGt1cBtQU2U)
FY Character Songs - Dengon - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMIUeH7Hyd4)
Fushigi Yuugi soundtrack - Houkou (Roaming) [HQ] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUCwzIzV8xA)

Overall i don't know if I would call it a good series but I enjoyed it. It was my introduction to shojo.

Also so many hunky men.

SirPrizes
12-05-2013, 02:21 AM
Try watching Little Witch Academia. Short, sweet, and sounds like what you're looking for.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-05-2013, 06:07 AM
Oh, I watched Little Witch Academia. I guess I could put it on the list...
but I'm looking for stuff with characters wearing ridiculous armor, maybe capes or mantles, traveling the world and conquering over the Gods themselves.
That always gets me pumped for some reason.