PDA

View Full Version : Amazon want to deliver stuff to you using Drones

Aulayna
12-02-2013, 02:52 AM
Amazon Prime Air (http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=8037720011)

The future is now it seems. Within the next couple of years Amazon are hoping to deliver orders to some customers, using unmanned drones.

What do you think of this? How long before someone shoots a drone or tries to net it out of the sky to steal the merch? What would you like to have delivered by a drone?

noxious.sunshine
12-02-2013, 02:59 AM
That's just weird and creepy to me. ...

I Took the Red Pill
12-02-2013, 03:01 AM
This is pretty awesome if only for the future news feature about the hillbilly who shoots his new laptop out of the sky with a 12 gauge. And then blames Obama.

Ayen
12-02-2013, 03:12 AM
Seems unnecessary.

But now that you mentioned it I want to have a dual-barreled shotgun delivered so I can catch it midair, hold it up and yell, "You see this? This is my boom, boom stick!"

Sephex
12-02-2013, 12:54 PM
*Have Amazon deliver materials to build an EMP weapon
*Construct EMP weapon
*Use EMP weapon on drones
*Free crap 4 lyfe
*Never work again
*Become famous rapper
*More like Amazon Busta Rhymes

Pike
12-02-2013, 05:41 PM
I for one welcome our new robot overlords.

Slothy
12-02-2013, 05:47 PM
I for one welcome our new robot overlords.

If this turns out to be cheaper and faster then I concur.

Spuuky
12-02-2013, 05:58 PM
What do you think of this? How long before someone shoots a drone or tries to net it out of the sky to steal the merch? What would you like to have delivered by a drone?I don't know, how often do people shoot or net postmen to steal merchandise?

Shoeberto
12-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Bezos said it's still years out, and it'd be fairly limited in range - you'd need to live really close to a distribution center, and account for weather conditions, package sizes (no kayaks, as he said), etc. - but it's a really cool idea and some very cool tech. At my old job, I was around people working on algorithms for smarter drone navigation as a hobby, and it's incredibly fascinating. I see this kind of automation being the future.

Slothy
12-02-2013, 06:01 PM
What do you think of this? How long before someone shoots a drone or tries to net it out of the sky to steal the merch? What would you like to have delivered by a drone?I don't know, how often do people shoot or net postmen to steal merchandise?

Shooting a postal worker is murder. Shooting a drone and taking it's cargo isn't. Bit of a difference in the level of criminal activity between the two.

Mirage
12-02-2013, 06:42 PM
I would like to have a tomahawk missile replica delivered by a drone

Spuuky
12-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Shooting a postal worker is murder. Shooting a drone and taking it's cargo isn't. Bit of a difference in the level of criminal activity between the two.Guess it depends on the angle you're looking at it from. Ethically, sure, if you're considering ethics and decide "I'm a bad person, but not a TERRIBLE person," you could shoot down someone else's drone to steal someone else's property.

Both are things that are obviously, unequivocally both wrong and illegal, and both would (I assume) have significant enough criminal penalties such that if you were caught, it would be extremely bad for you. There's a big difference between murdering 1 person and murdering 1000 people, too. But they are both on the other side of the line of human behavior that normal people don't cross.

But if you insist, how often do people steal mail from random mailboxes (a far safer crime than shooting down a drone)? I've never had my mail stolen, but I suppose it could happen all the time.

Hollycat
12-02-2013, 07:00 PM
I happen to live within 5 miles of a distribution center, so this might be pretty nice.

Mirage
12-02-2013, 07:05 PM
If I ordered a parcel delivery drone from amazon, would they deliver the drone with a drone, or would they just send me a drone that wasn't carrying anything?

Calliope
12-02-2013, 07:24 PM
I don't really care about having my post delivered my drone. My burrito, on the other hand...Where's my burrito? Where's my burrito? (http://tacocopter.com/)

nik0tine
12-02-2013, 07:29 PM

Shooting a postal worker is murder. Shooting a drone and taking it's cargo isn't. Bit of a difference in the level of criminal activity between the two.
Yeah. Shooting a drone would probably considered "terrorism".

escobert
12-02-2013, 10:31 PM
No, I don't want ANY drones flying over my house.

Shiny
12-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Amazon is going to be the ceiling cat watching you masturbate.

Araciel
12-03-2013, 01:01 AM
You mean I finally get an audience?!

Madame Adequate
12-03-2013, 01:02 AM

Do you dislike planes and helicopters flying over as well? They're not likely to fall out of the sky :p

Shiny
12-03-2013, 01:04 AM
Planes and helicopters suck. Noisy things.

escobert
12-03-2013, 01:28 AM

Do you dislike planes and helicopters flying over as well? They're not likely to fall out of the sky :p

No, I don't because they do fall out of the sky from time to time. But I have to be realistic and know they wont stop them :(

Shlup
12-04-2013, 04:52 AM
I just can't wait for these to start crashing into each other mid-flight.

Ayen
12-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Has anyone on the internet turned this into a conspiracy theory that the government is going to be attacking us with drones soon?

Quindiana Jones
12-04-2013, 08:17 AM
I suspect this is a sign that Amazon are vying to become the next global superpower, and they will most assuredly start carpet bombing American cities and military installations under the guide of package delivery.

Old Manus
12-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Unmanned drones delivering payloads directly into American citizens' homes

Sephex
12-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Unmanned drones delivering payloads directly into American citizens' homes

I already do that in my own home in my private time. 'Cept my drone is manned, alright.

escobert
12-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Maybe if they had these damn drones they would have delivered my memory card today instead of "attempted" :mad2: how can you not fit a PSone memory card in a mail box!?