PDA

View Full Version : The hell is up with country music these days?

Spooniest
12-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Does everything have to be computer beats with auto tuned vocals?

Seriously, country music

a5e9rJwrqaA

Used to be awesome.

As the Joker said in The Dark Knight: "What happened? Didjer balls drop off?!"

Grumble grumble

Spuuky
12-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Well, I've never enjoyed country music at all. I grew up with a fair amount of it around me in the periphery, and I always thought it was awful, and I still think it is awful. But auto-tuning is certainly awful, too.

Jinx
12-02-2013, 11:33 PM
There are a few country artists I really like. I love me some old school 80s and 90s Reba. Same goes for 80s and 80s Garth Brooks. I like the Dixie Chicks a lot. Shania Twain. Sara Evans was nice, but I'm not sure she really REALLY counts as country. Ditto with Keith Urban; like him, but not sure you can really call him country. I enjoy Faith Hill. Rascal Flatts. There are random songs I like, even if I'm not a huge fan of the band. (Wow, I like a lot more country music than I thought I did...)

That being said, I don't really ever listen to country music. It's all my family (other than my mom) listens to, so I kind of fucking hate it. And I think most current country music is god-awful. So is the really old stuff, which is what my dad grew up on and loves, and he used to make me listen to.

Shorty
12-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Never liked it. Ever.

Aulayna
12-03-2013, 12:11 AM
I'm not a huge country fan to begin with either, mostly as country never really took off in the UK while I was a wee young'un. We (ex-housemates from a few years back now) did used to play a lot of the Toby Keith etc songs on Rock Band though. xD

Araciel
12-03-2013, 12:57 AM
I like some country. But mid-90s was the end.

Elskidor
12-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Not a big fan of modern country either. I like some newer country, but for me it's usually the older the better.

Loony BoB
12-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Country music is a weird genre these days, at least to me. There's that song by Simple Plan feat. Sean Paul, Summer Paradise, and whenever I hear it I assume it's some country singer working with Sean Paul and then I found out that Simple Plan is apparently a pop punk band, so I don't even know what country is anymore. Doesn't Miley sing some? I dunno.

noxious.sunshine
12-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Miley's always been pop other than the odd duet with Dolly Parton - singing one of Dolly's songs.

I don't listen to newer country other than some of Carrie Underwood's stuff .

Most of what I listen to is stuff like Dolly Parton, Red Sovine, CW McCall, Hank Jr., etc.

I dig a couple of songs by Kenny Chesney ("Boys of Fall" FTW) and Sugarland and Gretchen Wilson and some other people.. I mostly listen to rap though.

Freya
12-03-2013, 06:40 PM
I love country. But then again I love every genre, well besides screamo. I don't like screaming. So it makes me iffy on some metal but I like the music so I ignore it. Anyway!

I like modern country. Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert are good. I like Florida Georgia line. Delta Rae is awesome etc etc.

You guys just don't appreciate music xP

Scotty_ffgamer
12-03-2013, 06:52 PM
The only country I like is Garth Brooks. The only reason that is the case is because that's all my mom listened to when I was a kid. Honestly, I probably went many years in my life without realizing that music really existed outside of country.

Rantz
12-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Every year, more music gets produced than the year before. Every year it becomes easier to create and publish music. That means more crap is going to get produced, as well as more quality material. The same goes for movies and many other media. Couple that with the fact that music from 50 years ago will have been filtered for 50 years, with weaker artists and short-lived hits being progressively more forgotten and harder to find, and you have the reason why complaints about "[x genre of] music/movies/whatever these days" is my pet peeve. The past and the present have always been, and will always be, unfairly compared to each other.

noxious.sunshine
12-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Ooooh I forgot I like some of Miranda Lambert! That "Over You" song is great.

I (*#!ing hate Taylor Swift though. She drives me insane with her cattiness and stuff. There are a couple of songs of her's that I like, but overall , I hate her.

I'm like Freya.. I like tons of different music - Old School Rap, J/C/K-Pop, J-Rock, a buncha different types of Spanish music, pop, rock, alternative, etc....

Ayen
12-04-2013, 07:53 AM
My parents are big country music lovers so I was exposed to a lot of it growing up whether I wanted to be or not. Some I liked, most I didn't and the only country music stars I could name from memory are Garth Brooks (which we saw live at the Sprint Center in 2007), Johnny Cash and Reba. And I mostly know Reba from her show. I haven't been paying attention too much to country music, or music in general, these days so couldn't tell you what's going on. I think a lot of people are moving to auto tunes.

blackmage_nuke
12-05-2013, 06:52 AM
I like country rock. Good beat, twangy guitar and a harmonica. The fact that the lyrics relate to me in no way so they dont remind me of my life while im sitting in city traffic is a bonus.

I also dont think autotune is the devil everyone claims it to be since. The heart of a song is in the composition not the performance and just because someone isnt the greatest performer vocally doesnt mean they shouldnt get to share their song.

Country folk can also be soothing

But I pretty much listen to anything except the heaviest of metal

The Man
12-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Country used to be a respectable genre but it was ruined ever since record industry hacks discovered you could put pedal steel guitar and a twangy voice over bad rock music and sell millions of records. I could probably listen to stuff like Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash all day but modern country is just execrable for the most part. Some alt-country artists are good (Mojo Nixon).

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-05-2013, 11:06 PM
As with any genre of music, you've just got to search for artists that click with you. You might even be surprised by what you find.

Would you believe Hank Williams the Third has punk rock influences?

JPPxc1W9il0