PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Podcasts

Scotty_ffgamer
12-03-2013, 06:30 AM
After I noticed Shorty's post in another thread about Welcome to Nightvale, it got me thinking about what other podcasts people are interested in. So, discuss what your favorite podcasts are and why!

I've only listened to a couple of episodes here and there, but one of my favorite so far has been Scary Story Podcast. It is pretty amusing and funny. I'm sure Nightvale will become my new favorite just based on the little I listened to.

Night Fury
12-03-2013, 06:34 AM
I liked that EoFF podcast that happened like TWICE.

Gosh guys, when are we going to do it again?

Scotty_ffgamer
12-03-2013, 06:37 AM
Oh yeah! That's the only podcast I've listened to religiously. Which was easy to do with only 2 episodes. I want more episodes.

Night Fury
12-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Well, if the people of the forum demand it...

Spuuky
12-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Hardcore History is the best and will always be the best.

Shauna
12-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Well, if the people of the forum demand it...

I suppose we can look into getting it all set up again. After Christmas would probably be a good time...

I listen to some Harry Potter related podcasts because why not. :} MuggleNet's Alohomora is a podcast re-reading the Harry Potter series chapter by chapter and discussing it. So far they are up to GoF. It is pretty entertaining.

NeoCracker
12-03-2013, 12:15 PM
I love the blistered thumbs podcast, though I was sad when Leon left it. Regardless, it's generally about 1.5 hours long, and the first 10-15 minutes are just the two guys, and their guest if they have one on, rambling about nonsense.

And their jokes are fucked up as all hell. It's a thing of beauty. It is a Video game podcast, and they are very well spoken on pretty much any topic they tackle. So long as you don't mind messed up jokes, and have anywhere from 1-2 hours to kill, it's a great time to be had.

Oh, and I loved it this one time they went off on everything wrong with Video game Journalism, even though Johnny is the one currently running Blistered Thumbs. :p

Araciel
12-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Continuecast and Nerd Poker. Used to listen to Jake and Amir but they just suck now and it's always the same.

Loony BoB
12-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Podcats, because I was in it. I don't really keep up with many podcasts.

Shorty
12-03-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm so glad you made this thread, Scotty. I was about to come in here raving about Welcome to Night Vale (http://podbay.fm/show/536258179). (I first mentioned this podcast in my Random Things post (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-chat/152752-random-things-youve-discovered-3.html#post3336045).)

I'm not very far in, but I've begun to notice the metaphors they use and the underlying themes - both political and person - in the narrations. The narrator speaks of the sheriff's Secret Police pulling over a five-headed dragon from another world and how it could potentially be dangerous, so they search his car. Civil rights organizations protested that officers had no legal grounds to search the vehicle, but they ceded the point when reminded by Secret Police officials that the backwards court system "will uphold any old authoritarian rule made up on the fly by unsupervised gun-carrying thugs of a shadow government." This seemed to me to be an obvious reference to immigration - illegal or otherwise - and, of course, our failed justice system. (As this scene played, I found myself thinking of Sherrif Joe Arpaio's methods in Phoenix.)

Later, he speaks of a bake sale hosted by the Night Vale PTA that will go toward funding a space vs. earth war, which is probably a reference to those who supported the war on Iraq and Afghanistan (or, arguably, any war at all). This episode in particular references a strange glowing cloud of which mentions are made throughout the narration, and at the very end of the episode, the speaker seems to be referencing it to depression, death, or any other crippling life event one might experience. The manner in which he does it is astonishingly positive, and as a listener, I came away with a sortof uplifting and inspired feeling.

This show is my new favorite thing. I love how they take simple real-life circumstances and blow them up to these extragavent, extradordinaty outrageous situations that seem to only have the slightest relation to things that actually happen in the real world, yet at the same time, the metaphors seem to be there. Someone with an incredible imagination came up with this, and I am legitimately envious of a mind like that.

Other than that, I really only listen to my general Utah podcasts. Radio From Hell (http://www.spreaker.com/page#!/show/the_radio_from_hell_show), Geek Show Podcast (http://www.geekshowpodcast.com/) and The Let's Go Eat Show (http://theletsgoeatshow.com/).

Scotty_ffgamer
12-03-2013, 06:02 PM
I've found that Welcome to Night Vale is actually pretty good to go to sleep to. I've only listened to the first episode so far (and maybe the second one, but I'll have to listen to it again because I don't remember if I actually stayed awake past the beginning). I love it so far.

I'll do a special plug here for The Master Bad Show of which I was a star in. Possibly the greatest podcast any high schooler has ever conceived. Sadly, it only exists on my computer now (and some episodes are missing) as all trace of it has been wiped from the internet. Even our Xanga page was taken down due to no one signing in in 5 years apparently (which is sad because now all of our artwork and fan music is gone).

Anyways, I'll have to check some of these other podcasts out when I get a chance.