PDA

View Full Version : Mirror's Edge

Pike
12-04-2013, 12:46 AM
AKA the game that we all forgot to nominate for Shauna's thread.

Have you played it? What were your thoughts?

What do you think of the upcoming sequel?

s97B97dIpDQ

Not gonna lie, I kind of spazzed out when I was watching E3 and this trailer popped up. Like... a lot.

Spuuky
12-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Not interested in the sequel until I get to play it with the Oculus Rift.

Slothy
12-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Not sure what to think of the sequel until I see more info because I don't trust EA.

But the original is one of the best games I played this generation. Possibly my favourite overall just in terms of gameplay. Playing it is positively euphoric.

Madame Adequate
12-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Hilarious as the word is because of unrelated reasons, "euphoric" is a great way to describe how playing Mirror's Edge feels. It's so alive and energetic and everything about it just feels so right.

God I love Mirror's Edge.

Slothy
12-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Indeed. I hate to use the word immersive because I think it suggests a level of losing oneself in a game that isn't actually possible, but if I were to apply it to a game it'd be Mirror's Edge. I may not ever forget I'm playing a game, but I damn well cringe when I fall off a skyscraper.

And I love it.

Jessweeee♪
12-04-2013, 12:55 AM
When this trailer out a friend told me "hey I heard there's gonna be a sequel" and I'm like "well they've said that and backtracked several times now there's no hope blah blah" and he said "but I saw a trailer" and then I was like WHAT

Scotty_ffgamer
12-04-2013, 01:24 AM
I'm so excited for the sequel! It's possible that it could be a huge disappointment, but as long as the gameplay is about the same I'll be happy.

Anyways, this game was a great stress reliever during college. All of my roommates and I would sit around the tv and pass the controller around as we played through the story and did time trials. This is definitely one of the few games that has made me cringe when my character falls a long distance or something, and I love it. I'm also pretty sure one of my friends felt sick after watching me play almost every time.

Ayen
12-04-2013, 03:38 AM
I couldn't complete the tutorial or the first level. I just remember hurling a lot of profanities at the screen and finally just giving up, putting it back in the case and haven't touched it since the first time I played. Not a bad game I just really, really suck at it. No point in nominating a game where you only played the first level.

Mo-Nercy
12-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Great game. Still Alive is a great theme song (although it inconveniently shares the same name as an even better theme song to a better game). The freerunning mechanics are perfect. Combined with the first person perspective and the minimalist look and feel of the cityscape, there's a real feeling of expansiveness even in the game's more linear parts.

Edit: and I did nominate it.

RocketMBA
12-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Brilliant.

Sephex
12-04-2013, 11:30 AM
I liked it and this thread is making me want to play through it again. Even though you aren't supposed to do this, disarming a guard and killing a guard is such a satisfying feeling.

Oh, and the cut scenes still remind me of those old esurance commercials.

Jinx
12-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Be careful around a mirror's edge. You might cut yourself!

Ayen
12-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Be careful around a mirror's edge. You might cut yourself!

Now she tells me.

Aulayna
12-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Just gonna leave this here:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hhdoih6MJhg/UNL19o4jRMI/AAAAAAAAFCw/Do0RHisdAoA/s1600/MirrorsEdge+2012-12-19+17-39-45-39.jpg

I'll be in the corner, salivating like Homer Simpson.

Dr Unne
12-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Even if the sequel is more-of-the-same it'll be worth it.

I hope they make the combat not suck as much or be more avoidable. The (few) required fights in the original were frustrating.

Slothy
12-05-2013, 02:00 AM
I hope they make the combat not suck as much or be more avoidable. The (few) required fights in the original were frustrating.

I'd hope they go the latter route myself. Whenever people talk about the combat in the original most of the time they say they wish it was better. I think making the combat better is missing the point of what the game's about though. I might even prefer it if it wasn't even there to be honest.

Jessweeee♪
12-05-2013, 04:59 AM
My only nag about the game is that it's all go go go, don't even kill that guy just wall jump kick him in the face and move on, which is great. Then you have to fight a whole mob of armored dudes at once, and that's not as great when I just wanna gain momentum.

Pike
12-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Just gonna leave this here:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hhdoih6MJhg/UNL19o4jRMI/AAAAAAAAFCw/Do0RHisdAoA/s1600/MirrorsEdge+2012-12-19+17-39-45-39.jpg

I'll be in the corner, salivating like Homer Simpson.

I love the art direction/color scheme in this game so much.

Sephex
12-05-2013, 10:59 AM
About the combat: I solved almost every encounter with a slide and a kick to the nuts.

Just kick them in the nuts and keep running. Quote should be on the front of the box.

Ayen
12-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Just kick them in the nuts and keep running.

Story of my life.