PDA

View Full Version : Cardcaptors

Pumpkin
12-05-2013, 07:38 AM
A mystic adventure

CARDCAPTORS

A quest for all time~~

Anyone else watch this show? I have been re-watching it lately. I'm a little sad that there are so few episodes, though. I have almost watched them all.

My favorite cards are the Power Card and the Dash Card. Both so adorable.

Ayen
12-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Each card possesses a power all its own
We've got to find them to bring the power home
Wind, rain, shadow, wood,
Sword, thunder, power, sleep
Cardcaptors of the clow,
Expect the unexpected now

All I remember is Sakura and the yellow thing with wings, but yeah, I watched. Also found out that the English dub changed so much from the original version that they weren't even the same anime or characters anymore, but I haven't watched the original so can't comment further. English opening is bawse.

LZ6scyFUcdM

Shauna
12-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Cardcaptors, or Cardcaptor Sakura? They are not the same thing in my mind, and I have only ever truly watched the latter.

Quindiana Jones
12-05-2013, 12:52 PM
I watched Cardcaptors religiously as a child. Religiously.

I get a bit neggy around dubs nowadays, though. Cardcaptor Sakura recommended?

Shauna
12-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Yes.

Pumpkin
12-05-2013, 08:47 PM
What are some of the differences between Cardcaptor Sakura and Cardcaptors?

Also, I watch Cardcaptors. Haven't seen Cardcaptor Sakura.

sharkythesharkdogg
12-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Oh you kids and your cartoons.

This should age me fairly accurately. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA4KvjtwkXM)

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-05-2013, 09:42 PM
What are some of the differences between Cardcaptor Sakura and Cardcaptors?

Also, I watch Cardcaptors. Haven't seen Cardcaptor Sakura.

Identical, as far as I know unless the USA had adopted a strange naming convention. Sorta like the difference between Vision of Escaflowne and Escaflowne. Same show, just shortened name.

I watched it in French growing up. Japanese > French > English. Seriously, the English version tried to make it into a boy's show and edited the most out of all three versions!

Pumpkin
12-05-2013, 09:44 PM
I couldn't find it in French or I would have watched ;_;. I'm exposing Joe Bryan to French TV to help him learn, and it's alos my first language and I don't get to speak it much here, so I like le French TV.

Sidenote: French Family Guy is da bomb.

Shauna
12-05-2013, 11:51 PM
"Cardcaptor Sakura" is the Japanese name, while the English dub was just "Cardcaptors". Using their names in such a way how I differentiate between the dub and the original. The original is, of course, superior. :p

12-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Sakura Chasseuse des Cartes! :D

You can find it if you look hard. Funnily enough, in the French dub, aside from having all French names for the characters save Sakura, one voice actress does like seven of the characters, lol.

Ayen
12-06-2013, 01:25 AM

This should age me fairly accurately. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA4KvjtwkXM)

Man, my brother used to watch that all the time.

Tavrobel
12-06-2013, 02:28 AM
"Cardcaptor Sakura" is the Japanese name, while the English dub was just "Cardcaptors". Using their names in such a way how I differentiate between the dub and the original. The original is, of course, superior. :p

Tomoyo v. Madison. Go.

Identical, as far as I know unless the USA had adopted a strange naming convention. Sorta like the difference between Vision of Escaflowne and Escaflowne. Same show, just shortened name.

All of the names were translated, e.g., Kinomoto becomes Avalon. Boy-love references removed (Toya, Yue, Syaoran). Teacher-student relationship removed. They rearranged/removed many of the original episodes to make it appear that Syaoran actually mattered, which affected the order in which Sakura captured cards, but this only lasts for the first 30 episodes or so. Everything past the Sakura Cards (Star Cards) was left mostly intact, besides when Syaoran and Sakura are supposed become closer as a romantic pairing; in the dub, they're "valued friends."

Except for the part where it's pretty clear that they're not. Also, no one cares about parents.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-06-2013, 06:21 AM

I can't remember if I ever watched Robotech. I feel like I have, but I know that I read a Robotech comic that my roommate in college found in a thrift store. I think it was Robotech at least. We were all excited about it and it ended up being pretty uninteresting.

Edit: Also, more related to the thread, I did watch Cardcaptors a lot when I was a kid, but I don't remember it much. I should try watching Cardcaptors Sakura sometime.

Drift
12-06-2013, 12:24 PM
one of my "classics" i do enjoy most of clamp's stuff.

12-06-2013, 02:51 PM

Tomoyo v. Madison. Go.

All of the names were translated, e.g., Kinomoto becomes Avalon. Boy-love references removed (Toya, Yue, Syaoran). Teacher-student relationship removed. They rearranged/removed many of the original episodes to make it appear that Syaoran actually mattered, which affected the order in which Sakura captured cards, but this only lasts for the first 30 episodes or so. Everything past the Sakura Cards (Star Cards) was left mostly intact, besides when Syaoran and Sakura are supposed become closer as a romantic pairing; in the dub, they're "valued friends."

Except for the part where it's pretty clear that they're not. Also, no one cares about parents.

Wasn't saying that they didn't change the show in the dub, actually I pointed out the very same post. I was merely stating that they refer to the same show as far as I was concern. Just like when I say "Sailor Moon" I am referring to either form of the anime, whether it be the 159 episodes of the English dub or all 200 episodes of the original Japanese. I most certainly do not refer to one as Sailor Moon and the other as Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon.