PDA

View Full Version : Dweebing it up

Pumpkin
12-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Are you a dweeb, nerd, or perhaps a geek? Are you none of those and hang out on an internet forum centered around an RPG series for the irony?

What are some "dweeby" things you like to do, or used to enjoy doing? Nerdy hobbies?

I used to write newspapers for some of my video games. Mainly Majora's Mask and Dark Cloud 2. By newspapers, I mean I would instruct my characters to go around talking to people in the game, and "interview" them. Then I would take paper and write news stories based off of what they said. I would also draw pictures for it. This worked especially well for Dark Cloud 2, where you could take pictures. I would take the picture and then draw it in my newspaper (poorly).

So you would have like the Majora's Mask Times and there would be the headline: MOON FALLING, An Interview With The People. And articles like, Racism Rampant: Kids and Dogs Hate Deku Scrubs (insert drawing of dog attacking deku Link) and then a joke section with the super funny stuff the jugglers would say like the jokes about the kidnapping (I laugh every time). Then I would have interviews with Gorons or whatever. And I would do this like weekly.

EDIT: Is it dweeby that I feel like doing this again now?

Spuuky
12-05-2013, 10:50 PM

Nope.

I do play Magic: the Gathering sometimes, which I'm told is a hobby that falls in the realm of "nerds." On the other hand, I never feel like I have anything at all in common with anyone I play with except the game I'm playing.

Calliope
12-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Which I am thankful for, otherwise we wouldn't be married!

I feel like the word "geek" has been pillaged by people who wear glasses, or casually play video games, or like mainstream comic book movies - people who benefit from fringe "geek culture" now that it's trendy, and who haven't had to endure any of the social isolation or bullying that the traditional nerd or geek has.

If we're looking at being a "geek" as someone who is heavily knowledgeable or enthusiastic about a very narrow topic, then I suppose I could be classified as a Dada Geek, Britpop Geek, or Bird Geek. I am meticulous, obsessive and "intelligent" enough to warrant nerd/dweeb status, although I probably have too many social skills to fit into that stereotype, too. Mostly I just give myself a headache because I have high expectations of everyone, as someone who assumes that my competence is the minimum possible and so therefore everyone else shouldn't make mistakes xD

I am guessing that most people posting on a Final Fantasy forum are going to be geeky/nerdy about something!

Shorty
12-05-2013, 11:31 PM
I feel like the word "geek" has been pillaged by people who wear glasses, or casually play video games, or like mainstream comic book movies - people who benefit from fringe "geek culture" now that it's trendy, and who haven't had to endure any of the social isolation or bullying that the traditional nerd or geek has.

This is pretty accurate to how I view those who identify with geek, but I think it's safe to say that the terms "geek" and "nerd" is moving away from a derogatory insult to more of a social choice, which seems like a positive thing to me. ("nerd" is pretty heavily thrown around these parts, primarily by myself. It is only ever said with love.)

I have the capacity to geek.

RocketMBA
12-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Your Majora's Mask newspapers sound really interesting!

I'm not sure I've ever done anything as creative as that.

Ayen
12-06-2013, 02:56 AM
If being a geek includes going into great length about video games he likes, dislike or felt could have done more with what they had and write up reviews about various games on the weekly basis then so geeky am I.

Shiny
12-06-2013, 06:02 AM
My twitter handle is "I do geek things". What do you think? I have been called nerdy. What's the difference?

Pike
12-06-2013, 10:41 AM

Yup, that sounds like me.

So I guess the answer is yes!

I am basically full neckbeard. I'm a wretched little goblin who lives in a basement and spends her days playing grognardy strategy games, watching Star Trek, and avoiding sunlight. It's quite pathetic, and I don't blame anyone who pities me, because they should. At least I don't own a fedora or worship Dick Dorkins, I guess.

Old Manus
12-06-2013, 11:44 AM
When I was at university (in the Computer Science department) I was shunned for not being a 'true geek', presumably because I wasn't particularly interested in going to Linux installation parties and staying in the labs talking about gaben until 2am. They all thought I was a dumb jock because I'd often turn up to lectures wearing a tracksuit (as I'd just been at the gym/cricket practice) and went to forbidden places like ~the pub~ to watch ~football~. It was a shame, really, as I knew the subject just as well as they did.

These days I suppose the only geeky thing I do is my job.

Sephex
12-06-2013, 11:48 AM
When I was at university (in the Computer Science department) I was shunned for not being a 'true geek', presumably because I wasn't particularly interested in going to Linux installation parties and staying in the labs talking about gaben until 2am. They all thought I was a dumb jock because I'd often turn up to lectures wearing a tracksuit (as I'd just been at the gym/cricket practice) and went to forbidden places like ~the pub~ to watch ~football~. It was a shame, really, as I knew the subject just as well as they did.

These days I suppose the only geeky thing I do is my job.

Yes, that's the worst. I am a fan of American football, and I am often judged harshly for that by other nerds. I got kicked out of the neckbeard growing contest I was in at the time, and the head nerdlinger beat the crap out of me with his anime pillow saying how I should get one with Tom Brady on it.

Jiro
12-06-2013, 12:29 PM
pretty abstract concepts now. I play video games, though even that isn't special these days

Calliope
12-06-2013, 02:52 PM
At least I don't own a fedora or worship Dick Dorkins, I guess.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH WORKING A FEDORA!
http://s27.postimg.org/lmx2faaar/DSC09792.jpg
/CunningCapParty

Jinx
12-06-2013, 02:57 PM
omg calliope i thought we were friends :cry:

Sephex
12-06-2013, 03:13 PM
At least I don't own a fedora or worship Dick Dorkins, I guess.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH WORKING A FEDORA!
http://s27.postimg.org/lmx2faaar/DSC09792.jpg
/CunningCapParty

OH? THEN WHY DON'T YOU PUT FLAMES ON IT TO SYMBOLIZE THE AMOUNT OF TIMES YOU'VE BEEN BURNED BY THE FREINDZONE?!?!

Calliope
12-06-2013, 03:21 PM
*shrug*

As I've said before, hatters gonna hat.

:hat:

Shorty
12-06-2013, 05:01 PM
what the smurf is wrong with you people fedoras are awesome

But let's not derail shion's lovely threada about dweebiness!

noxious.sunshine
12-06-2013, 05:11 PM
I like to think I'm just -way- too cool.

Then I talk to My Friend Sean and he's like "OMFG You're such a loser. You play fucking -Final Fantasy-. That shit is so boring and omg you SUCK."

And I'm like "...... I'm sorry." It's all in fun though. Except for his hatred of FF. That's a for sure thing.

I think IRL, compared to everyone I know, I'm a major tech geek. My bf knows more about technology and stuff than I do, but the few times someone's needed help with their computer or cell phone, they've asked me. On another site, if someone needs help with coding, they ask me... Not that I'm a coding genius by any means, but I know enough to copy & paste something and change values and whatnot. Or they'll ask me to edit pics for them.

Jinx
12-06-2013, 07:00 PM
So, there's this show I kind of like called Doctor Who...

Ayen
12-07-2013, 08:00 AM
So, there's this show I kind of like called Doctor Who...

That's the one where they travel in a phone booth, right? -trollface.jpg-

Alive-Cat
12-08-2013, 12:05 PM
I haven't actually played a game of any description since I was like fifteen which was six years ago, but I still check this place out. Only for the love.