PDA

View Full Version : Gigs of 2013/2014

Shoden
12-06-2013, 04:05 AM
I thought I'd make a live music thread. Just because I haven't made a thread for ages and I want to feel all sparkly. DON'T JUDGE ME. YOU MIGHT SAY YOU'RE NOT BUT I KNOW YOU ARE... >.>

REET.

So, with 2013 coming to an end how's everyone's year for seeing some bands gone?
Got any plans next year??

Its been a pretty quiet year for me, Only been to a handful of major gigs. Started off seeing Saxon with support from a band called Redline and local legends the Quireboys.
Great show but Saxon never fail to deliver the goods live, despite being from the golden era of rock/Heavy Metal they're still keeping themselves relevant in this modern age of music with some face-melting shows of pure awesome riffage... Oh and Biff Byford is, well, brilliant.

That was back in April, doesn't feel so long ago.

Next one I went to was Wintersun with support from Bloodshot Dawn and Savage Messiah.
I had my tickets for ages for this gig, I exploded with excitement... yeah, when I heard it was on and was all "OH SHI- DIS GON BE AWESOME" and well, it was. I've followed them since their first album was released and their last one was one of the best releases I reckon, last year.
What a show!

Now, I was meant to be going to see Motorhead last month with support from Saxon but Lemmy's been pretty ill the last few months after having a pacemaker fitted and still cannot find his energy for live shows just yet so it got postponed til February NEXT year. Same lineup too so, all's good! Tickets still valid ofc so like hell I'm getting ripped off there! WOOP!

Last night was probably the show of the year for me.
I went to see Airbourne. Some generic, pretty boy band called "The Treatment" bored the stage first for half an hour then on came this band called Orange Goblin who were throwing riffs that would make Black Sabbath so proud. I was gobsmacked as to how good they were. Usually I get bored of the whole psychedelic, stoner doom stuff but, welp. MY TROUSERS WERE FILLED WITH BRICKS. BRICKS LAID FROM AWESOME OVERDOSE. Before the main act came on.. geez. I NEED BETTER PANTS.
Airbourne just came onstage and for nearly 2 hours ripped into some of the most intense, loud, fast rock n roll riffage, people compare them to AC/DC and they might be onto something with that but Airbourne are one hell of a band live. Twice the guitarist/frontman jumped onto the shoulders of a roadie and was carried through the crowd, shredding away on guitar. He then proceeded to climb onto the bar and just rock out there for a few before getting carried back.

Nothing technical or fancy but, wow.
Apart from that, barely been to gigs. Hardly played any either :(
OH, and next year, well, I have nothing planned.
So if you're still reading this after my huge walls of text (I'm sorry guys, bit too enthusiastic here) how about yous? What's on your calendar, what have YOU seen, did you like it, hate it? GET DRUNK?

Shorty
12-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Jeff Mangum, The Postal Service and Alkaline Trio are the only shows I've been to this year, but they were all amazing. Fourth time seeing Alkaline Trio, second time seeing Jeff Mangum and first time ever seeing The Postal Service.

Usually I got to quite a bit more shows, but there isn't much in way of touring here :( Hopefully next year I'll be able to travel to see some more!

Loony BoB
12-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Giggs has been alright in the 2013-14 season, despite his age. There were moments, particularly 2-3 years back, where I felt he really struggled to earn his retention, but he's now adapted effectively to his new role and justifies selection in almost every game he plays, which is great.

Calliope
12-06-2013, 02:33 PM
I've been to fewer concerts this year than I have in years, and shot even less of those, but I tried to make them count: Billy Bragg, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Tegan & Sara, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Neon Neon (Thanks again!), Muse, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, The Julie Ruin and Jeff Tweedy.

My hopes of ever seeing Blur were ruined one again, this time by exorbitant Coachella fees, with the festival being their sole West Coast show in over a decade. They've also cancelled their appearance at the Big Day Out - and funnily enough have been replaced by bands including Beady Eye/Liam Gallagher. Bjork limited her eight West Coast shows to LA and San Francisco, I missed out on a bunch of gigs (Pink Martini, Ben Harper, Cate Le Bon, Chvrches, Janelle Monae, Camera Obscura) for one reason or another, but appreciate their new music and hope to see them eventually.

I did buy tickets to see Ash perform in January though and I'm really excited!

A few of my favourite pictures from the year:

Neon Neon/Gruff Rhys

The Julie Ruin/Kathleen Hanna

Jinx
12-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Denmark and I are seeing Arcade Fire on St. Patrick's Day and I'm SO EXCITED.

noxious.sunshine
12-06-2013, 05:12 PM
I haven't been to a concert in -ages-.... I think the last one I went to was Rock the Mic back in '03...

I imagine we'll be in Times Square for NYE though so there's that.