PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy: First Impressions (spoilers)

Ayen
12-06-2013, 04:41 AM
The first time I played this game was via Final Fantasy Origins for the Sony PlayStation and it rocked my socks. Prior to this the only classic Final Fantasy games I played were V and VI, so I was at least familiar with the story of the elements being taken away and having four members in my party.

I absolutely loved the opening select screen where you choose the four classes you want and name them, although my indecisiveness sure didn't. I can't remember the first team I picked, but the team I selected for the farthest I ever got into the game was Warrior, Red Mage, White Mage and Monk. It was my first experience with the Red Mage and man oh man did he become an instant hit with me. He was pretty much my stand in for the Black Mage and having a second offensive there too while the White Mage did most of my healing. I don't know what I did but further down the line my Monk was causing a TON of damage to enemies. Hell yeah!

I like how it just throws you into the thick of it after sharing the basics with you. I don't know if the beginning deal with rescuing the princess was meant as a tribute to how overused that element was in fantasy stories but I like how it's all in the beginning and after which the game really starts. One of the thing that still gets a chuckle out of me is the Link cameo when you reach the elf town. I about died when I saw that (and he really did die, RIP hero). It was a lot of fun, I can see how this was the game that got Square out from the verge of bankruptcy. I can't remember how far I got into the game, however far the elf town was and then a bit farther than that.

What was your first impressions of Final Fantasy?

Mahad
12-10-2013, 02:30 AM
Spoiled by fancy graphics and elaborate stories, I must say I wasn't impressed when I first played this game. I got it for my psp when they did the 20th Anniversary editions, and I thought "why not check it and see what it was like back then?" I made myself play through the first few hours and then I slowly got into the game. Now that I'm done with it I must say I enjoyed the overall experience and the game has its charm, and I'm looking forward to going full-in into FFII. FFIII & FFIV have had recent releases in DS and PSP systems, but I'm still waiting for a release of FFV & FFVI somewhere down the road.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-10-2013, 07:04 AM
I just played FFI for the first time this last year for the GBA. I did enjoy it quite a bit, but I generally enjoy more story in my RPGs. The game does have a lot of charm, and I do enjoy the world. I think it would be different having played it for the first time on the NES, though.

Elskidor
12-10-2013, 03:02 PM
I found it hard! The story was simple, but nice and the graphics were fine and dandy. I had already played some other Final Fantasy titles when this came out so I knew what to expect, and it did a great job on drawing me and in, and I can see why it's held its cult followers all these years.

I usually play this every time a new version comes out, because it's fun, simple and not too long. It's not all that hard anymore, and I'm trying to figure out if it's because I use to just suck or the different formats have made it easier and easier. Oh, and I fell in love with some of the music...no surprise there, but especially the ruined castle song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDXu7D3GGXY

I don't know why, but I've always loved that tune.

Ayen
12-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Now that I think about it I found it hard at first as well. Old school RPGs required a lot more grinding back then.

And I love that theme!