PDA

View Full Version : Recycled story?

Ayen
12-06-2013, 05:23 AM
Final Fantasy V was the first classic Final Fantasy I played thanks to Final Fantasy Anthology for the PlayStation. So I didn't notice the similarities it had with the first game until I got around to playing it. In both Final Fantasy games the element air, earth and water are taken away and I think the only additional one is fire since I don't remember fire being mentioned in the former. I don't think the story was the same but that particular element was, it's just they had more characterization because of the growing tech and being able to develop characters more.

So, I was just wondering if there was any reason they recycled that plot point or was it just a tribute to the first game?

VeloZer0
12-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Crystals in general used to be a series staple, and I suspect with elemental crystals there are only so many ways in which to use them.

Jessweeee♪
12-07-2013, 12:09 AM
We gotta do this stuff because crystals: FFI-VI, ,IX, XII, XIII.

Elpizo
12-07-2013, 12:14 AM

There were no crystals in II, though. Replace it with XIV and you have the complete list (not counting spinoffs).

Ayen
12-07-2013, 01:23 AM
Will the world blow up if I put the crystals in the wrong order?

VeloZer0
12-07-2013, 07:29 AM
I would imagine putting the water crystal in the earth crystal's spot could create problems.

Ayen
12-07-2013, 07:30 AM
I would imagine putting the water crystal in the earth crystal's spot could create problems.

So that's how Jesus did it.

Sephiroth
12-07-2013, 03:10 PM

There were no crystals in II, though. Replace it with XIV and you have the complete list (not counting spinoffs).

Final Fantasy VII's Materia and Final Fantasy X's Spheres are the same as well. Great Materia is even in normal crystal form and Raw materia is, too.

VeloZer0
12-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Did FF10s spheres have anything remotely to do with the story? Materia featured prominently as part of FF7s world, but I don't even remember spheres being mentioned outside of battle. Also going by the fact that materia are and infinitely re-configurable setup that can be swapped freely between characters and spheres are pre-determined grids who's progression is unique to each character the main similarity I see between them is they are both the same shape.

Jessweeee♪
12-07-2013, 07:29 PM
I think if we take materia we have to take the spheres as well. Materia is a product of the life stream, just like the spheres are infused with the same pyreflies aeons and fiends are made of.

VeloZer0
12-07-2013, 07:37 PM
I think I am obviously missing the point you two are getting at.

Sephiroth
12-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Since the lifestream and the farplane are of the same substance and all as far as the canonical connection of them having one universe and same basic things (like FFXIII and FFXV) is mentioned, Materia and Spheres are pretty much one and the same. That is why I mentioned both. They are crystal-like objects, in fact one and the same thing and so I mentioned them in the crystal list.

Jessweeee♪
12-08-2013, 02:16 AM

We gotta do this stuff because the life force of the planet wills it: every FF but FFVIII.

Elpizo
12-08-2013, 07:25 PM

We gotta do this stuff because the life force of the planet wills it: every FF but FFVIII.

Not in II. Again. Also, it's debatable that the life force of the planet is what makes you go through your journey in VI and IX. The crystal in IX doesn't even come into play until Disc 4.

Elskidor
12-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Crystals also made a cameo in Super Mario RPG (I think they used Final Fantasy music for the a fight too), as it was in an old Final Fantasy anime that I've noticed a lot of people don't know exist. It's not really recycled anymore than Chocobo, Biggs & Wedge (Even a Chrono Trigger cameo), Cid or Moogles are recycled...it use to just be the thing, and eventually it was used less and less in current stories or they are just called something different. From my understanding the crystals are returning in FFXV.

If one had the time I'm sure they could create an ultimate timeline to connect all the games through the crystals, Materia, Espers or whatever.

Ayen
12-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Well, I wasn't really talking about the crystals as much as important elements of the earth required for basic living being taken away to threaten the earth.

Not complaining either, just something that stuck out to me more for that reason.

Spooniest
12-09-2013, 09:53 PM
FF5's story focusing on crystals?

Well, there was a convention in the first 6 FF games that the even numbered entries would be more story-based, and the odd numbered entries would be more system-based, with less characterization given to the main cast. 1, 3, and 5 are all like this, with the Job System, and 2, 4, and 6 are much more plot-driven, with simplified systems (if you could call 2 "simple," I guess).

They kind of broke the mold with FF7, and every game after that has been plot-based, to my knowledge, except for the online games.

Sephiroth
12-09-2013, 09:56 PM

Considering how the first third of the story is, yes.

It even introduces the antagonist.

Also, mentioning the crystals here was more like "featured crystals" not "focussed on crystals" in particular.

Spooniest
12-09-2013, 09:57 PM

Considering how the first third of the story is, yes.

It even introduces the antagonist.

It wasn't my intention to call that into question...

Sephiroth
12-09-2013, 09:58 PM

Then what was that question about?

Read my post again, please. I edited it.

Spooniest
12-09-2013, 10:00 PM

Then what was that question about?

Just thinking out loud, sorry.

Final Fantasy V has the crystals to the forefront because the actual character arcs are intended to be taken somewhat more lightly than the even-numbered entries, though you can already see that the influence of FF4 has added at least coherrent identities into the mix.

maybee
12-10-2013, 08:52 AM
I thought it was because FF 2 ( Japanese FF 2 ) was sort of disappointing and FF 3 worked so they made FF 5 like FF 1 and FF 3 to see what works, the crystal formula or the FF 2/ FF 4 style.

Games back then were like Mario were the same hero saved the same Princess each time, and weren't really like sort of different due to graphic limitations, it wasn't till the PlayStation era were sequels started to get more creative.

Spooniest
12-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Games back then were like Mario were the same hero saved the same Princess each time, and weren't really like sort of different due to graphic limitations, it wasn't till the PlayStation era were sequels started to get more creative.

Actually, the FF series has always made saving the princess to be an ancillary thing. Even as far back as FF1, saving the Princess is how you start the game, but it gets a lot more involved from there. :3