PDA

View Full Version : It's bloody freezing!

Calliope
12-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Dear eoff,

Please help me avoid freezing to death. My apartment has no insulation, and we don't control the heating, although if I call someone during the day they can turn it up (and I've done so already). I am cold pretty much all the time anyway, but it's much worse at night in these sodding Pacific Northwest winters. I layer up pretty well - currently wearing pajamas, plus two woollen jerseys, a dressing gown, socks and a hat. It's still bloody cold! I'm tempted to do some starjumps, but I won't because it's after midnight and I'd prefer not to wake my neighbours. Hopefully Santa will bring me some thermals and multiple blankets, but in the meantime I'll be stuck with old lady remedies like sprinkling cayenne over all my clothes and conjuring up a footbath. Brr!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/b686d44e2bb3406b78a25e042bc7904a/tumblr_mi1kvs8WCH1s2589qo1_400.jpg

How do you best fend off the chill of winter? Del, living in California doesn't count, that's called "running away" :D. Those of you basking in the glow of a beautiful Antipodean beach Christmas can humblebrag about remembering to put on sunblock or whatever, jerks.

Del Murder
12-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Moving here wouldn't even work. It's like 50 degrees right now. Brrrrrr!

There are space heaters that are relatively cheap and heat up a small area pretty well. You can get them at Target or Walmart or the Official EoFF Amazon Page.

Calliope
12-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Is that so? Can you link me to the Official EoFF Amazon Page? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d242EQ1zkA)

I see the temperature in California went up five degrees since you edited your response (that's the second time today I've accidentally posted that way, too). I'll consider a space heater, but El Spuuko always seems to think it's too hot, so it may be best to go the "more layers" route. Do you use a space heater?

Pike
12-07-2013, 10:12 AM
It's like 50 degrees right now. Brrrrrr!

It is -15 F here right now, and has been somewhere between -10 and -20 all week. I hate everything.

As for keeping warm, I recommend electric blankets.

Calliope
12-07-2013, 10:22 AM
It's fourteen here, which I thought was reasonable until I converted it into Celsius. Holy crap, Pike!

I have an electric blanket, but it's broken so it's just another blanket at the moment. Okay, I'm looking at the Official EoFF Amazon Page...oh my god, there are so many options! In my day, there was just the "electric blanket" - now there are throws, blankets, microfleece luxury garbocuddlers, heating pads, quilted fleece, "heated blankets"...oh dear lord, I'll just buy them all.

Captain's Log: It's 2:21am and I've just bundled my feet in my puffy jacket because I don't own any slippers. Have no dignity left. Tell my family I love them :cry:

Pike
12-07-2013, 10:25 AM
I think the heated blanket I use is called a throw, but who knows really!

Heated blanket on max + sweaters is how I roll, personally!

Calliope
12-07-2013, 10:31 AM
This blanket (http://www.amazon.com/review/R3AKZWA0LLQOAN/ref=cm_cr_quotes_dprb_0?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B006GQW58M&nodeID=1055398&store=home-garden) is three hundred dollars but is recommended for cold-natured wives ;_;

Okay, this is nonsense. "No buying things for yourself just before Christmas"-rule be damned, I'm gonna throw a little bit of money at this problem tomorrow and hope it helps.

COLD PEOPLE SOLIDARITY

noxious.sunshine
12-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Get a space heater that has a digital thermostat you can adjust.

My dad is mega addicted to them and has several cuz the heat in their RV doesn't work all that great.

When I moved into the little house beside their RV, there was no heat at all so my dad hooked me up with a couple of big ones. They kept me toasty alllllll niiiight long.

But now, I just get bundled up in a long sleeved shirt, my jammie pants, a blanket, and eat soup and drink hot chocolate!

Minami
12-07-2013, 10:59 AM
I have this same issue at work. there is no damn heating and they keep the back door open all evening. Its bloody freezing in there, i had to buy my own little heater which is ok, but last night when it dropped to 0c it didn't help much

Night Fury
12-07-2013, 12:00 PM
It's been warm here. Sorry, hot.

I love it and all, but there's something about a British winter. I'm not talking about the winter when I'm stood outside in the snow and gale force winds freezing my butthole off, but I'm talking about when I get home from such torture and the heating is on (or fire), my doggy is lying on the couch and my pj's are on the radiator. Omg, putting on warm pyjamas after being in the cold is the greatest thing ever.

Then I put on my slipper boots and boot my dog off the couch and sit in the spot she made warm with her butt. :) Then I get my Mummy to make me hot chocolate with marshmallows and whipped cream and we watch some lovely TV in the snug warm.

Aussie warm is just a sticky, humid, insect ridden mess.

Jinx
12-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I say space heater. And if you don't have to run it constantly, so Spuuky doesn't need to freak out. Run it for half an hour or an hour at a time. Turn it off for half an hour or an hour at a time.

But yeah, electric blanket might be your other best bet.

Elskidor
12-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Turn on the oven full blast and open the door!

Maybe a space heater would work a little better.

Slothy
12-07-2013, 04:21 PM
I find being a human furnace helps.

At my gym they don't want people wearing outdoor shoes past the front door in winter so my solution, rather than bring two pairs, was to just not put my shoes in until I got there. So I walked barefoot outdoors in sub zero weather on a day when it had rained a bit earlier in the day so the ground was wet.

Wasn't too bad actually.

escobert
12-07-2013, 04:26 PM
I wear layers :p

Tasura
12-07-2013, 05:06 PM
It's currently -6C and I have a fan on cause I find it hot :D?

escobert
12-07-2013, 05:09 PM
You're just a crazy Viking Polar Bear so you don't count! :p

Pike
12-07-2013, 05:13 PM
It's currently -6C and I have a fan on cause I find it hot :D?

*converts to F*

Well yeah, that's actually pretty reasonable. god I wish it was that warm here right now

escobert
12-07-2013, 05:24 PM
What are you smoking that is not a reasonable temperature :mad2: It must be 70F in my apartment at all times or I freeze to death. I hate going outside in winter :(

Pike
12-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Well even if it's not reasonable, it's better than the temperature outside right now! :crying2:

Shorty
12-07-2013, 10:52 PM
It's 13 degrees here. Since April I've been leaving my window opened just a little for my cat to go in and out. I tried to block up most of the opening with foam to keep the cold at bay, but I can no longer do it. Window gets shut, cat stays inside at night.

This is my first winter in six years and I can never get warm enough. My toes are always cold.

fire_of_avalon
12-08-2013, 02:34 AM
Winters here are cold, but nothing compared to Pike winter. I wouldn't live there because I don't like to be cold.

Nicky, gurl, get you a hot water bottle or make a ricebag you can heat in the microwave. Wrap those suckers in a towel and stick in your robe or over your feet and man oh man is it toasty and lovely.

Leeza
12-08-2013, 02:38 AM
It's -8C here right now. It's cold. I like to sit right in front of my fireplace, but sometimes I get complaints that it's 'too hot!' So then I resort to using my Magic Bag. But after checking the Magic Bag site I see that they are now more than just bags. There is this awesome Warmy Blue Cat and even slippers. :cat:

Warmy Blue Cat | Magic Bag (http://magicbag.com/catalog/warmy-blue-cat)

Jowy
12-08-2013, 06:31 AM
Last night I slept with three blankets on, corduroy pants, and a winter hat. We have mobile home windows which do nothing to block out the bone-chilling temperatures outside. I will never set foot in the kitchen while barefoot again.

There isn't even any snow to compensate!

Calliope
12-08-2013, 08:22 AM
I went to get a glass from my cupboard and almost dropped it on the floor, it was so cold. I might as well put all my crockery directly into the freezer because that's how cold it has become! We also discovered that a bone-chilling draft comes in through our front door, so for a lazy fix we've stuffed a <strike>fire hazard</strike> sheet in front of the doorway.

On the plus side, I now own a pair of slippers for the first time in about twenty years. At first I was dubious because it seems like such a frivolous purchase, but mere hours later, I am already disappointed when I have to remove them. Thanks, slippers! Have also ordered some long johns, and will campaign heavily for the acquisition of more blankets, because six isn't enough :stare:

#TeamBlanket2013

Shlup
12-08-2013, 09:03 AM
I have a little space heater under my desk, blowing hot air directly onto my feet.

Pike
12-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Update: with the wind chill it is -49 F (-45 C) right now. I have to go outside to go to work very soon.

If I do not return, it's been fun and I love you all.

Alive-Cat
12-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Once, I was living in a really badly insulated summer house at the bottom of someone's garden. The heating had broken in some way, they went on holiday and I had to brave the winter weeks until they came back. You know it's cold when you can see your breath and you're indoors.
Long story short in order to take a bath I had to put about three large saucepans on the stove and heat them until boiling, whilst simultaneously boiling the kettle and pouring it along with the saucepans into the bath. You couldn't actually overfill the bath because the water evaporated into steam faster than you could fill the bath up.
End result though the place would be full of warm air for about an hour after.

fire_of_avalon
12-09-2013, 03:41 AM
A couple of winters ago our heat was out and where we were living had a master bath attached to the bedroom. So I sealed off the bedroom door with towels, opened the bathroom door and turned the shower to the hottest setting. Within about a half hour I was slightly damp, but deliciously warm.

Madame Adequate
12-09-2013, 03:44 AM
It's a little chilly here, I mean we're further north than most realize and it is the middle of December, but I feel awful for ever feeling cold because holy CHRIST look how cold it is in Montana

Pumpkin
12-09-2013, 02:17 PM
I'm a Canadian living in South Carolina. I envy all of you and your cold. It was frickin 18C here a few days ago. IN DECEMBER.

I want my snow back :colbert:

My body is actually confused about it. It is my second winter here and last winter, I got so confused that there was actually no winter (compared to what I'm used to) I started expecting it in like June. Like my brain figured it was just going to show up late.

Its doing the same thing again this year. I keep thinking its September/October. It doesn't feel like the Christmas/winter season AT ALL.

noxious.sunshine
12-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Back in the day, my dad had no heat in his big truck at all and would be up in Michigan (once Alberta, Canadia) in -30F and have to sleep in the sleeper in those temps.... Granted this was back in the 70's, so the overall climate was a tad different.