PDA

View Full Version : Live Theatre

Calliope
12-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Do you frequent the theatre, or go to plays and musicals often? Do you do improv, give dance performances or otherwise take to the stage?

Not live theatre, but I recently saw a film screening of this year's production of Richard II (http://onscreen.rsc.org.uk/richard-ii/default.aspx), by the Royal Shakespeare Company. David Tennant played Richard II, and I was impressed with his acting, in particular his ability to really bring what I might have thought was a dull script to life and break down any potential Elizabethan English language barriers.

I don't really go to the theatre anymore, but I've seen some pretty gripping stuff and there's always something charged about watching drama unfold in front of you - some of my favourites include seeing The Phantom of the Opera, Untold Tales of Maui, and Ian McKellen in Chekov's The Seagull. I'd like to see Spamalot and the McKellen+Stewart production of Waiting For Godot someday.

Okay, that's your cue!

Shauna
12-07-2013, 10:55 AM
My theatre trips increased for a while, I saw a Sleeping Beauty Ballet, I saw various operas that I forget the name of at this time... and then I got a job and time escapes me. I am going to try and be more cultured and see more shows in the future. I've said that before though.

Minami
12-07-2013, 11:18 AM
I've been a few times, but i don't go regularly. i've seen Disney's Beauty and the Beast which was amazing, Joseph and the technicoloured dreamcoat (which has been my favourite since i was eleven years old) and more recently The Sound of Music. I don't have much opportunity to go these days though as i work evenings.,

Night Fury
12-07-2013, 11:48 AM
I think the last time I went to the theatre was to see a Christmas Pantomime with some popstar rejects in it....

Says it all, tbh.

noxious.sunshine
12-07-2013, 02:21 PM
I haven't been in years! My sister took me to see Annie at somewhere in downtown Nashville. The Schermerhorn? I can't remember, but we were front row. She also took me to see The Sound of Music and it had someone in it.. Can't remember who though.

I really wanna see Wicked though!

Ooooo I also saw The Lion King & Beauty & the Beast at DisneyWorld .. Lion King was -amazing-! Beauty & the Beast was pretty great too, though!

Shorty
12-08-2013, 03:37 AM
Utah is pretty big into their local theater and performing arts. My dad was involved a lot in the local theater community and his friends and family were in or put on a lot of plays so we used to go pretty regularly when I was a kid - maybe two or so times a month.

I can't remember the last time I saw a live theater performance, though. I'd like to see a Broadway play someday. I did see the Don Quixote ballet in 2012, I'm not sure if that counts. (It was incredibly boring and I feel terrible for saying that, but I had no interest in sitting in a frigid operahouse with no cell phone service to watch ballet for three and a half hours.)

Jinx
12-08-2013, 03:54 AM
I love, love, love musical theatre. My favorite is probably Thoroughly Modern Millie. It's so fun and silly, and the title character's songs are right in my vocal range, so I love to belt it out in the car.

I've been in a few musicals, and I'd really like to get back into it. I'm a choral singer, so my voice is pretty well suited for musical theatre singing. I'm actually planning to audition for a choir in January (I think, not sure if my schedule can do it, but I hope so!) and they're doing Jesus Christ Superstar.

fire_of_avalon
12-08-2013, 04:25 AM
I love live theater! I went to a lot of shows and even ran a soundboard once for a student play when I was in college. I took drama classes when I was a kid and my teacher always wanted me to pursue it outside of school but my family didn't have the money. I was too chicken to pick it back up in college because those people had been doing it for forever and I hadn't and I wasn't into the theater kid social scene.

I haven't been to anything since I moved back home in 2008 because I don't have anyone to go with me. Maybe someday I'll get the guts to try community theater and fail astoundingly.

Del Murder
12-08-2013, 04:43 AM
I'm not a theatre nut, but I'll go to critically acclaimed shows like Wicked or Book of Mormon. Still trying to get tickets to Book of Mormon.

Shauna
12-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Actually, I saw the Lion King stage show recently, and we have tickets to see Wicked in the coming months. How did I forget this.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-08-2013, 05:04 PM
I haven't been to any in a while. I think the last play I saw was one called Almost, Maine at the college I went to. I enjoyed it somewhat, and it's probably the best I've seen my college do.

In high school and right after high school (my high school sometimes does alumni musicals in the summers), I performed in musicals whenever I got the chance. I was in Beauty and the Beast, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Fiddler on the Roof, and The Music Man. I've also seen them do Oklahoma and Annie.

The only more professionally done performances I've seen are Pirates of Penzance and Romeo and Juliet. Both were a lot of fun. I'd like to see some Broadway stuff someday should I ever get the chance.

blackmage_nuke
12-08-2013, 05:09 PM
I've seen The Real Inspector Hound which I loved and a retelling of King Lear which I hated
I've never seen a live musical but I do enjoy movies based on them

I've also watched every Team Starkid play on youtube
Just noticed a new one came out last week!

Calliope
12-08-2013, 07:31 PM
I did see the Don Quixote ballet in 2012, I'm not sure if that counts. (It was incredibly boring and I feel terrible for saying that, but I had no interest in sitting in a frigid operahouse with no cell phone service to watch ballet for three and a half hours.)

Ugh, me too. I really don't have the patience for the nuances of ballet, although I would very happily watch a tap performance. Last year I actually fell asleep during a Choral Mass performance, which I felt incredibly bad about until I looked around and realized the person who had brought me had dozed off too!

I've been in a few musicals, and I'd really like to get back into it. I'm a choral singer, so my voice is pretty well suited for musical theatre singing. I'm actually planning to audition for a choir in January (I think, not sure if my schedule can do it, but I hope so!) and they're doing Jesus Christ Superstar.

Do it! I love the Lloyd Webber musicals. Evita is coming here soon and I'm pondering going (although probably not because tickets are really expensive).

I love live theater! I went to a lot of shows and even ran a soundboard once for a student play when I was in college. I took drama classes when I was a kid and my teacher always wanted me to pursue it outside of school but my family didn't have the money. I was too chicken to pick it back up in college because those people had been doing it for forever and I hadn't and I wasn't into the theater kid social scene.

I haven't been to anything since I moved back home in 2008 because I don't have anyone to go with me. Maybe someday I'll get the guts to try community theater and fail astoundingly.

You are like...my twin :cry:

Funnily enough, I ended up going to a play yesterday! A friend has asked me to design a poster to promote her play, and then she bought me a ticket! I think she's going to get me in next week, too - it's a series, so next week is the "final episode". They did a great job!

Shorty
12-08-2013, 07:33 PM
I really like the idea of a series production. I would be so down to see that.