PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider revealed for PS4 and XBOX One

Aulayna
12-08-2013, 01:36 AM

Have you ever looked in the mirror and thought: "Hey those next-gen consoles are pretty sweet - I wonder what the reboot of Tomb Raider would look like on them!?" No? Me neither! Well, it turns out Square Enix and Eidos had exactly the thought that no-one else was having and they're doing exactly that!

So, if you want to see Lara Croft meets unnecessarily dramatic music, Michael Bay levels of shaky cam, explosions and fast-edits, then look no further than this newly released trailer hot of the showreel at this years VGAs:

8_2r8NTHWNM

Apparently the graphics have been improved too. Because, bigger is better, right? No word on what other new features are in this re-release, besides "it looks better," as of yet.

What do you think, will you give it a crack? Happy enough with having played it on this generation? Are Square Enix going a bit re-release potty as of late?

Shauna
12-08-2013, 01:40 AM
For a game that Squeenix considered to be a colossal failure, they sure are great at throwing money at it.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-08-2013, 03:12 AM
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition Coming to Xbox One, PlayStation 4 - IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/07/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-coming-to-xbox-one-playstation-4)

According to IGN, it comes with all of the DLC, a digital mini art book, and the digital comic of The Beginning.

Anyways, I guess its cool that their rerelease for the PS4/XB1 involves rebuilding the in higher quality for those systems. I do personally think its a bit of a waste of money and resources, though, especially if they were disappointed with the sales of the original version. I have the feeling this version will see even lower sales. Honestly, I'd rather just see a new game in the series.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-08-2013, 03:13 AM
I love this game.

I could see wanting to release it for the PS4 on the basis that it's still a fairly new game and some new releases go on both gen consoles, particularly around launch.

But if the spin on this is "HD Remake of a classic game", I'm just going to face palm.

Ayen
12-08-2013, 04:14 AM
I get the feeling you didn't care much for this game.

Raid Harder? That's a silly name.

I haven't played this game yet and since it's likely to be years I'm better off getting it on this generation's platform and I haven't felt particularly strongly about getting it yet. Here I was thinking they were working on a new game too.

Del Murder
12-08-2013, 04:38 AM
I think I'll skip this one and hold out for Raid Hard with a Vengeance.

Loony BoB
12-08-2013, 09:49 AM
"This video has been removed by the user."

I won't get this as I already have the original game, but I'm looking forward to a sequel.

Aulayna
12-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Re-added the video

Elskidor
12-08-2013, 07:54 PM
I have not played a Tomb Raider since PS1. I think I liked it though, but it was very hard for me. The controls were kinda confusing.

Shaibana
12-09-2013, 12:09 PM
i seriously thought u were announcing a new tomb raider :(
i will not buy a game (again) just for some better graphics, it looks fine on the ps3 and i am more about the story then the graphics.

once i have the money, and there are enough games i want for the ps4 i will get one, but for now im still having alot of fun on the ps3 :D

Pete for President
12-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Hurray for uninspired video game business decisions! I have no problems passing up on this. Create a new game already.

Hollycat
12-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Using better textures isn't that hard or expensive, that's why HD remakes are so cheap. They won't even need to upgrade modeling in this, just textures because the game is so recent.

This will be one of the cheapest remakes of all time.

Dr Unne
12-11-2013, 02:27 AM
This game is plenty fun, for what it is. Not sure why people hate on it. Just because something's a reboot of an old game doesn't mean it's bad automatically. I like to judge it on its own merits, and it's a fine 3D platformer/adventure game. I wonder if people would've judged it more kindly if they'd called it Adventure Jump Girl and pitched it as a new series.

No sense buying it for PS4 if you already own it, but for people who don't own it, it might be a good game to grab. I wonder if the PS4 version is any different/better than the PC version.

Old Manus
12-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Honestly, I'd rather just see a new game in the series.New games? THIS IS SQUEEENIIXXX

Shauna
12-11-2013, 10:23 AM
This game is plenty fun, for what it is. Not sure why people hate on it.

I thought that the game was pretty well received overall, and the big cloud hanging over its head was just Squeenix being mad that it didn't sell exactly one billion copies. But then I don't venture out into the world of the internet's opinion too often.

Ayen
12-11-2013, 10:24 AM
This game is plenty fun, for what it is. Not sure why people hate on it.

I thought that the game was pretty well received overall, and the big cloud hanging over its head was just Squeenix being mad that it didn't sell exactly one billion copies. But then I don't venture out into the world of the internet's opinion too often.

I remember that too. It was like, "Dude, we only sold 3 million copies? WE COULD HAVE SOLD SO MUCH MORE!"

-plays the world's smallest violin-

Mirage
12-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Using better textures isn't that hard or expensive, that's why HD remakes are so cheap. They won't even need to upgrade modeling in this, just textures because the game is so recent.

Most HD ports don't even improve textures, or anything at all, except the rendering resolution.

Hollycat
12-11-2013, 12:27 PM

Most HD ports don't even improve textures, or anything at all, except the rendering resolution.

Most of them upgrade the texture and modeling of important characters and items. In the god of war collection, it was only Kratos, so that was a very cheap one. The Kingdom Hearts 1.5 was probably one of the most expensive, but it doesn't look like they really upgraded much of anything, it was likely expensive though because they had to rebuild from a copy of the disk.

FFX/X-2 is on an entirely different level of HD remake than the rest, with upgraded modeling on all the important characters, upgraded textures on just about everything, and new content.

On this they'll probably just swap in the PC textures and call it a day.

Mirage
12-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Now, I haven't played a lot of HD ports, but out of those I've played, I don't think any of them have improved textures.

I actually played GoW HD but I didn't notice any texture increase. Do you have some screenshots that would show the difference? I also didn't notice anything like that in MGS2/3, KH1.5 Okami, ZoE or Jak&Daxter either. The games look better, of course, but not due to texture increases.

Hollycat
12-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Now, I haven't played a lot of HD ports, but out of those I've played, I don't think any of them have improved textures.

I actually played GoW HD but I didn't notice any texture increase. Do you have some screenshots that would show the difference?
No, but you can probably find comparisons on google.
Edit: Like I said, in GOW HD the only thing they improved besides resolution was how Kratos looked. At least in the first one anyways, I have yet to play the second one.

Mirage
12-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Nah, I'm good. I'll just stick to my personal experience until someone proves me wrong :p