PDA

View Full Version : Caaaats~! Talk cats!

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Ok, let's talk cats!!
So I have three cats in this household. While my own small male cat, Woo, is most certainly cuddly, two of them (a tiny female named Specky belonging to my mother and a tall male named What's-His-Face belonging to my sister) aren't lap-cats.
At least that's what I thought.
Today my mother and I were performing the daily 'tormenting' of What's-His-Face.
Yes, I know, What's-His-Face is a weird name. But my mother and I decided upon that name because my sister wouldn't come up with a proper name for the freaking cat.
Anyway, we were 'tormenting' him, as we call it. Really all we were doing is picking him up struggling (or wuggling since he does it so half-heartedly) to fiddle with his paws, coo at him, and check up on the condition of his teeth, ears, and eyes...
Well, we got done with that and I released him...
but he stayed on my lap.
And he stayed there for the longest time, even started falling asleep for a moment.

And then he got off, and came back begging to get on much like how Woo does it.

This guy is about 4 years old now. It's awfully weird to me that he's suddenly ok with being on people.
But it is cold today. Maybe that's it.

I just feel kind of bad that this happened with me, and not my sister, seeing as it's her cat.

Specky, in the meantime, remains non-cuddly as females usually do. She's the only one of the three allowed outdoors for realsies (the boys get to go out on my mother's deck with me in the Summer), and for the most part she seems withdrawn considering the places she sleeps are usually tucked away in corners or hidden under things, or on the couch downstairs out of reach. She complains like nuts whenever we 'torment' her, but she doesn't struggle... just whines.
Regardless of the need for isolation, Specky seems nice in her own way. She asks very politely when she wants something, if you can imagine a cat doing that, and does really like getting scritches. Other than that she sleeps on the end, at the far corner of mum's large queen-sized bed.
She runs from my sister though. Doesn't seem to like her...
As for the other cats, she tolerates Woo most of all, and doesn't like What's-His-Face much... He can be a bit vexing for her, especially with how much he likes to play. Sometimes we'll hear a pair of cats ripping down the hallway, and it's only when it's What's-His-Face chasing Specky that you hear a hiss right after.

As for my Woo boy, he's crazy-weird.
He likes me most of all, and fears almost everyone else. As long as my mum's laying down, he'll be ok with sitting on her, but if she's upright in any way she's automatically a threat.
My sister is a threat.
He loves the other two cats way too much. He washes them a lot... and sniffs their butts a lot. The butt thing really annoys Specky.
He also washes my hands.
He seems to like being around me most of the time, or at least in the same room. But if a stranger is over and I'm with them, it gets a bit tricky for him. He can't decide whether he wants to hide from the stranger or be next to me, so he'll usually be found sitting in the far corner of the room watching us and looking desolate.
He also has this weird thing about his fur coat. His fur is so thin that cold weather can really get to him, so when he's cold he'll get this ridge rising right down his back like a mohawk.
I've been thinking of making a sweater for him. Usually I don't like the idea of cat sweaters, but this guy really needs it.

Cats!

noxious.sunshine
12-08-2013, 08:15 AM
We have Kitty Purry.... Yes. That's her name. XD
It used to be "Shop" 'cuz she hung around the truck shop where my mom and dad live, but after we took her in, she only responds to "Kitty" now. My daughter tacked on Purry after hearing about Katy Perry saying something about Kitty Purry.

But she's a big girl - mostly maine coon if not full blood. She weighs 13 pounds and is about 2.5 feet long from nose to tail.

Apparently she's a hipster. She like Filipino style goat, roasted chicken and turkey, ranch dressing, american cheese, and unsweetened iced tea. xD And corned beef!

She used to be really snuggly back when I lived in Texas and she was still a "stray".. She'd jump into my lap or sneak into the little house I was staying in if I left the door open.. But now that we've brought her in and "domesticated" her, she isn't like that anymore, though she does get motherly and will lick my fingers and stuff while holding my hand down with her paws. She's still really sweet, though. She'll go and sleep in Parker's bed when Parker isn't here.. It's really cute.

Ayen
12-08-2013, 08:35 AM
I love cats. My aunt had one adorable cat and now she has like... Six? Four? I'm not sure. Anyway I love cats.

But I cannot haz cats because allergies. Before I was born my parents had a dog and a cat and I ended up being allergic to both so they had to give them away T_T

Queen Award, First of Her Name
12-08-2013, 08:52 AM
The cavalry is here
Though I'm only 2nd best
Passionate and romantic
I wear my heart on the sleeve of my suit

PM/VM the riddle answer for a chance to win a Ciddies Prize!

Spooniest
12-08-2013, 08:56 AM
All engineers like cats. Engineers have to think like cats.

The Da Vinci quote is something like "marvel of natural engineering."

Them things can jump real high for such tiny little critters.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-09-2013, 04:50 AM
Kitties sure can jump high.
Woo makes a sport of it.
We have a balcony looking out over the stairway from my mother's room into the living room, and he always goes down onto the stairs to jump up onto that balcony and squeezes his way under the railings.
He's got a bit of a bald spot near his tail because of that...

Shorty
12-09-2013, 07:33 AM
I had two cats, but one went missing about four months ago and it makes me really sad to think about her.

My remaining cat is named Balthazar and he is a fluffy, cuddly, lovable trouthead who is black as night.

noxious.sunshine
12-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Don't worry, shorty... Sometimes cats come back.

We lost my Garfield for no shit like 7 months and then found him in the tangled up mess of trees in our side yard in front of the woods of our backyard. Someone had legit taken him 'cuz his paw pads were perfectly pink and he wasn't dirty at all.

Kitty is scared of heights. We got her a floor-to-ceiling scratching posts with shelves and she won't get on them. Not even the bottom one! ... I think it's cuz she's too big though...

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-09-2013, 08:45 AM
I'm allergic to cats.

I had a few cats growing up and never had a problem. But for some reason a few years ago I started sneezing and rubbing my eyes. It's a shame because I like having them purr and rub against my leg. I also like when they jump up on my lap and start crawling up on me and I can feel their whiskers in my ears.

The only cats I've been around for a few years now have been my uncles family. He lives in the country and they're outside a lot so maybe it's pollen or something that's making me allergic. Guess I'll have to see if I'm allergic to inside cats. Maybe it's the pollen and not them.

Pumpkin
12-09-2013, 02:16 PM
I should be getting a cat on Saturday. We now officially have everything we need aside from a collar and tag and also the food, because we aren't sure of the gender or age or size or dietary needs of the cat until we get it.

When we went to get the litter box, litter, and scratching post on Saturday, there was a super cute kitty name Domino, who I kind of hope is still there when we go back this weekend.

So excite :excited:

Madame Adequate
12-09-2013, 04:45 PM
We have five cats; Sugi, Jinx, Murphy, Rosie, and Lily. I also sort of have Pike's cat Boo because I have all the cats. :3

Spooniest
12-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Let's see, around here it's:

Wesley - biggest and the strongest, he doesn't even excercise, and he's mine.
Dinah - The loudest one, also the second-smallest.
Puffy - The biggest female with the thickest topcoat. Allergics watch out.
Spooky - The most violent one but also the sweetest, kind of a yin-yang thing
Bella - The one that hides.

Elskidor
12-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Current living situation has us separated from our 2 cats, but have 2 right now. But they are not too far from visiting, so that's good. Shaddow and Mr. Whiskers. One is pure black like a shadow and the other is like an Oreo with very long Whiskers. Mr. Whiskers is going to be 7 this March and gets scared easily, and Shaddow is about 12 and is much more laid back and lazy. I miss them both. :(

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Bella - The one that hides.

Haha Bella seems akin to Woo.

and aww, Elskidor
I hope you get reunited with your babies some time soon.

escobert
12-09-2013, 10:47 PM
I has two kitties!

My male is about 6 months old. His name is Spunky! And he's well, very spunky. He's a medium hair black. He has very dark amber eyes. He's very handsome (not pretty he's a big mean boy!) and he loves me to death and probably would be happiest if he could be carried around with me all day everyday.

My female was a barn cats on my fathers barn. She decided she wanted to be one of his house cats and would sneak in his house at night and sleep in a box full of old news papers. I had made a comment to him that I was looking for a fixed male for Spunky since my ex had moved out and taken her cat with her. and he said "well if you take this little girl I'll pay for her and your guy to get fixed." and I couldn't really refuse that. She needed to be cleaned bad but seemed really friendly. Well now she's all feisty and all over the place. Oh and her name is Willow and she's about a year old.

They both sleep with me every night and fight over who gets to be in or on the computer chair with me. I love em! :bigsmile:

noxious.sunshine
12-09-2013, 11:12 PM
My cat is depressed.

We got rid of the bed frame and she now has no bed at all.

She's laying in the middle of where it used to be.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-10-2013, 01:23 AM
I'm gonna get a kitty. Soon.

I fucking love kitties.

escobert
12-10-2013, 01:26 AM
DO IT!

12-10-2013, 01:39 AM
I WILL!

I just have to start having money again. 'Cause I am dumb and bought and XBox One instead of a kittie.

noxious.sunshine
12-10-2013, 02:55 AM
And Beer. xD

12-10-2013, 03:05 AM
That too. Beer and a kitty. That is what I will get. Very soon.

Fuzakeru
12-10-2013, 03:24 AM
We have two kitty cats in our household.

This is mine - 48979
She was a tiny, tiny baby that was discovered by a friend's friend. She was found by her dead mother during a thunderstorm and no one would take her in so I scooped her up and it has been love ever since.

And this is his - 48980
She's a big ole fat, grey kitty cat and I adore her. She's our alarm clock and wakes us up with head butts and purrs.

Pete for President
12-10-2013, 03:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4

Psychotic
12-10-2013, 07:46 AM
King Robert, or "Riley" if you want to be correct, is a cat that likes to be held or wrapped up in a blanket while headbutting you until suddenly she doesn't and she squawks. Her favourite thing to do is chew on Christmas trees and wires and/or look out of a window for hours on end. Oh, that and come sprinting into the room, stand there looking at you for a second or two, and then sprint the hell back out again.

Minami
12-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Cats are great. I have five of them and they all have different personalities. Zen's a real attention whore, he follows me about wherever i go. Maple's got attitude and you don't wanna piss her off. Aiko is seven years old but still kitten sized, absolutely gorgeous but can be a bitch. Flash is the sweetest little fluff ball that has a few issues as she was poorly treated before we adopted her. Took her over a year to trust any of us, poor thing. And Holly likes to pretend she is innocent but likes to start fights with Zen that she can't see through to the end as he always gets the better of her.

I used to do voluntary work at the local cat shelter before i started uni. Don't know how i didn't end up adopting every cat there. It was rewarding seeing them go off to their new homes though :)

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-10-2013, 02:03 PM

This is mine - 48979
She was a tiny, tiny baby that was discovered by a friend's friend. She was found by her dead mother during a thunderstorm and no one would take her in so I scooped her up and it has been love ever since.

And this is his - 48980
She's a big ole fat, grey kitty cat and I adore her. She's our alarm clock and wakes us up with head butts and purrs.

You're very good at naming cats. Zoot definitely looks like a Zoot, and Desiree looks so very Desiree.
The latter sounds very affectionate. Are either of them lap-cats though?

Fuzakeru
12-10-2013, 05:04 PM

This is mine - 48979

And this is his - 48980

You're very good at naming cats. Zoot definitely looks like a Zoot, and Desiree looks so very Desiree.
The latter sounds very affectionate. Are either of them lap-cats though?

Thanks! :) Interestingly enough, Desiree is very much so a lap cat and a lover but in the morning (or if you go nap by her). She purrs and purrs and nuzzles you and loves you to pieces and then she just goes and eats and sleeps the rest of the day never to be seen while Zoot digs roaming the house in the morning and running around like a spazz but in the evening she curls up in your lap every chance she gets and LOVES when we play video games. She'll jump up in your lap and put her paw on the controller and fall asleep like that. They're both really great cats and their personalities are very different.

The only time they're ever really lap cats at the same time is if I'm sitting by the fireplace when it is going. They're all about the fireplace.

Geez, I could ramble for a long time about our cats. Haha! [/crazy cat lady]

Edit: Also! Zoot is a little chef. She makes biscuits (kneads) and performs the two paw shuffle constantly. If she's lying on her back and is in a tummy petting mood she'll stretch her little toes out and knead like that too. SO CUTE! Gah! Ok, ok. Now I'm done.

Botchmun
12-11-2013, 06:35 AM
I have a cat named Awesome, she lives up to her name every day. She never meows, she screams. You'll hear her in the hallway leading down to my room "Nng-gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" and as you approach her the proximity alarm goes off. "aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIII!" and then she runs straight at you and feints past on the way to the kitchen or someone's room.

When no one's around she kills something. Usually a piece of scrap paper or one of those plastic can holder things. I can tell because she'll carry whatever she's just killed to somewhere highly visible and start to howl loudly, demanding you observe that she has slain her adversary. Sometimes birds and rats, but she's very good about not bringing those in-doors.

She's small, not like kitten tiny but she is amazingly runty. That is, until you pick her up and she stretches out. I swear to god she is so amazingly fun to pick up. She doesn't cuddle or scratch, but she braces against me and pushes away, giving me this exceptionally hateful and grumpy look. You can totally pat her while she's doing this too, its incredible, she's very nuzzly and purrs quite loudly when you do pat her, and she loves attention and boxes and receiving attention while in boxes.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-15-2013, 06:47 AM
Ha! Botchmum, your screamy cat sounds...well.. Awesome!
Yeah, both my cat and my mother's are runts... because they're from Texas! Texan cats are smaller than the cats up here in New England.

What's-His-Face (sister's cat) is one of those non-meowing cats, but he's the opposite. Instead he cheers, or mrrs, with that rolling tone to his voice. If he actually meows it's because he's been locked in a room by accident or something.
Sometimes you might hear him ripping down or up the stairs or playing thunderously, and he'll give this loud and abrupt CHEER that sounds almost frustrated to me.

In other news, I discovered that someone I enjoy watching on youtube HATES cats, and he spoke of it quite viciously and abusively. I think my respect for him has shot down quite a bit.
I just don't understand the people that feel the need to hate cats. Hating any sort of animal just seems unnecessary and stupid.
I'm very upset about this discovery... I really liked that guy, but now his coolness level has dropped to 0. I wonder if I'll ever get over this.

Pumpkin
12-15-2013, 06:49 AM
Sharky and I got our friend Martin today (yesterday?). He is 11 months old and mostly black with a tiny bit of white. We interacted with a lot of cats and he fit us best.

He hid for a half an hour then he came out and has been playing and causing mild amounts of trouble since. He's been very cuddly.

He hasn't eaten or used his litter box yet, so I'm not sure what's up there :/

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Sharky and I got our friend Martin today (yesterday?). He is 11 months old and mostly black with a tiny bit of white. We interacted with a lot of cats and he fit us best.

He hid for a half an hour then he came out and has been playing and causing mild amounts of trouble since. He's been very cuddly.

He hasn't eaten or used his litter box yet, so I'm not sure what's up there :/

Oh, well that'll take a while. He's probably still too tense to do either of those. But it's great that he's already so friendly!

I know when I first got Woo it was a REAL challenge to get him to warm up to me, and that's JUST me. He still has trust issues with everyone else to this day.
I can't forget the hours I spent each day-- I brought food and water to him in my bedroom every day and night. When he didn't come out from under my bed I'd sit there and call, "woooooooo" and he'd call back with a hopeless meow. This would take several tries before he came worming out and cautiously eating.
I didn't leave the food, because I wanted him to get used to me, and by GOD did it take him a long while.

But that was just the start of our problems...
I'll have to go into the wormy diarrhea part of it later.

Pumpkin
12-15-2013, 07:18 AM
Oh dear. At least you got him to open up and now he's got a great owner :D.

He knows where his food and litter box are, I've seen him investigate both. So I guess I just need to leave him be. He is incredibly friendly and cuddly. I am pleased with how quickly he has adjusted. He's already getting in to trouble he shouldn't be :P