PDA

View Full Version : The Honeybee Inn

Freya
12-09-2013, 06:00 AM
Let's just talk about how weird this part was. I'm going to cross post from an article series (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/1892-top-5-what-moments-ff.html#prettyPhoto) I did way back in 2012:

On the very odd side quest to make Cloud look like a girl you have to go to the Honey Bee Inn. Cloud needs some underwear and he has two choices of rooms to pick from.

coRm-da6dXw

As you enter the first room, it quickly gets full of bodybuilders in spandex. You then end up having to join all of them in the bathtub. Yes. Bathtub. You and very muscled men jump in a bathtub together. Some very awkward dialog happens and you tend to just think “what. the. smurf.”

But just you wait! Had you decided to pick the second door Cloud seems to be having another one of his mental trips and passes out. The honeybee girl screams and as you’re coming too, you hear a bit of *rub rub* and even a *squish* in the darkness. You wake up to a muscle man sitting on you giving you a “massage”. I think you were just violated. The honeybee girl even says “I’m so sorry… There’s a lot of ‘adult’ things going on…" Yeah. I feel a bit sorry for Cloud.

SO WHAT THE EF IS WITH HONEYBEE INN!? Discuss.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Poor Johnny can't find a way in.

Jinx
12-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Poor Johnny can't find a way in.

Oh, he could get in if he wanted to. He's just too good a guy.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-09-2013, 05:19 PM
I always thought this part of the game was hilarious. It's so insanely weird and off the wall. It also makes me so uncomfortable (especially the part where Cloud passes out like you mentioned in the first post).

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-10-2013, 07:41 AM
What's up with Cloud seeing a ghost version of himself in the inn? Does that have to do with his realizations later on in the game?

Same with when he fell on to the flower bed at the church. It seemed like there was a third voice of text in that black screen with Aerith and his text. Was that explained? Maybe I just forgot.

Psychotic
12-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Poo, I mean, uh, sir.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-10-2013, 07:58 AM
What's up with Cloud seeing a ghost version of himself in the inn? Does that have to do with his realizations later on in the game?

This part is so weird and I don't really think it ever makes sense.

Ayen
12-10-2013, 08:21 AM
I... I don't remember any of this. I remember doing squats or something with one of the muscled men to get the wig, but I don't remember a bathtub scene or passing out and there was nothing in my game about underwear. Either this wasn't in the PlayStation American release that I got or I was so extremely traumatized by these events as a child I completely blocked it out of my memory.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-10-2013, 08:37 AM
I think all you actually need to get in to Don Corneo's place is the wig and dress. The Honeybee Inn is just for people who wanted to be picked for "fun times".

Ayen
12-10-2013, 08:41 AM
I think all you actually need to get in to Don Corneo's place is the wig and dress. The Honeybee Inn is just for people who wanted to be picked for "fun times".

OHH! Okay, I got my areas all switched around here. I never got into the Honey Bee Inn. The entrance was always blocked and I couldn't find any other means inside the building.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Yup, the Inn is completely optional! At least, I'm pretty sure you never have to step foot in there to proceed. It's definitely in the American release, though! Honestly, when I went in as a kid, I'm pretty sure I just had no idea what was going on and didn't give any of it much thought.

escobert
12-12-2013, 12:30 AM

OHH! Okay, I got my areas all switched around here. I never got into the Honey Bee Inn. The entrance was always blocked and I couldn't find any other means inside the building.

Just gotta talk to the guy standing around right before you go to the screen with the honey bee inn.

I always try to get all the best stuff so I'm super sexy fro the don!

MJN SEIFER
12-12-2013, 01:12 AM

This part is so weird and I don't really think it ever makes sense. I think it's meant to be foreshadowing the later events where this happens, but it doesn't exactly fit, and the "Ghost Cloud" doesn't act the exact way it does in other scenes it's in. There is also a deleted scene where the Ghost Cloud appears in the first room (where you choose a room). It's tough to say if there was going to be more than what we actually got, and even tougher to say if it was really meant to tie in to the stuff with Cloud's memories or was just something Square was having fun with (i.e. spoofing their own storyline in game) like I say the "ghost" is a little different in the scene, in terms of how it acts, and it's dialogue isn't exactly clear what it means...

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Auronlu's House of Sin - Final Fantasy VII Recap, Ep. II: Cloud Hears Voices (http://auronlu.livejournal.com/255997.html)

Found this. Here's an excerpt.

(Page 68) As Cloud is trying to place the bomb, a mysterious voice speaks to him. Later, this same kind of mysterious voice resounds in Cloud’s head in the scene where he and a voice have a conversation, and it offers him reminders. These voices are the original Cloud, as — due to Hojo’s Sephiroth Clones experiment — Zack’s personality merged with his, creating the present day Cloud, producing a conflict of multiple personalities(—>P.11).

During the scene in the first mako reactor, what [the voice] says is it [trying] to point [Cloud] toward the memory of Sephiroth five years ago in Nibelheim’s mako reactor, as the two places were similar. However, Cloud is not able to listen to the words of the memory.

Sephex
12-12-2013, 02:01 PM
When I was 16, I thought the "$#!@&ing Room" was the most hilarious thing ever, and it proved how games have matured.

I hate 16 year old me.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Auronlu's House of Sin - Final Fantasy VII Recap, Ep. II: Cloud Hears Voices (http://auronlu.livejournal.com/255997.html)

Found this. Here's an excerpt.

(Page 68) As Cloud is trying to place the bomb, a mysterious voice speaks to him. Later, this same kind of mysterious voice resounds in Cloud’s head in the scene where he and a voice have a conversation, and it offers him reminders. These voices are the original Cloud, as — due to Hojo’s Sephiroth Clones experiment — Zack’s personality merged with his, creating the present day Cloud, producing a conflict of multiple personalities(—>P.11).

During the scene in the first mako reactor, what [the voice] says is it [trying] to point [Cloud] toward the memory of Sephiroth five years ago in Nibelheim’s mako reactor, as the two places were similar. However, Cloud is not able to listen to the words of the memory.

What I'm definitely getting at here is that the original Cloud has been at the Honeybee Inn before. Specifically in that room. That's why he freaks out and hears the voice. He isn't well liked, that's why the lady says "Poo, I mean, uh, sir" upon seeing him. She really isn't pleased to see him. Also, he clearly has a history with Mukki. Everything makes sense now.

Mercen-X
12-18-2013, 06:45 AM
I suppose that's possible if we want to seriously entertain the idea. The likelihood is slim imo, I mean, Zack was able to wander around Midgar, but he was actually a SOLDIER, Cloud was just a grunt subject to "stationing". I can't honestly imagine him appearing at Honeybee Inn enough or doing anything significant to stand out and especially garner in ill from the workers. Cloud's personality is far too withdrawn.

MJN SEIFER
12-18-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm still on the fence over whether the "Poo, I mean sir" is a misplaced refference to when Cloud gets gets called "Pooch" later, and she's stopping herself, or she's litterally saying "poo" for some reason. If it's the former it's an error.

Mercen-X
12-19-2013, 04:49 AM
When was Cloud ever called "Pooch"?

Jiro
12-19-2013, 12:14 PM
By the chicks in the makeup room.

Jinx
12-20-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm still on the fence over whether the "Poo, I mean sir" is a misplaced refference to when Cloud gets gets called "Pooch" later, and she's stopping herself, or she's litterally saying "poo" for some reason. If it's the former it's an error.

I think it's her saying "Crap" and then realizing it's out loud and their client can hear her being annoyed. At least that's my take on it.

MJN SEIFER
12-21-2013, 03:34 PM

I think it's her saying "Crap" and then realizing it's out loud and their client can hear her being annoyed. At least that's my take on it.
That would make sense, thanks.

Mercen-X
12-24-2013, 08:07 AM
There is no point in the game in which Cloud is called "Pooch."

Jiro
12-24-2013, 09:06 AM
There is no point in the game in which Cloud is called "Pooch."

Taken from the script hosted on RPGamer:

(Cloud ducks into the dressing room for the Honeybees and speaks to them.
Repeatedly.)

"Hmm, hmm, hmm....."
"Ohhh, I just can't seem to lose weight. Hmm, hmm, hmm..."
"Sir!! You can't come in here."
"(Yuk..... a pervert...)"

"Eyaah!"
"Don't!"

"Paste, paste, paste....."
"(Oh God... here's another one of those guys. You know, the
delicate type. Just ignore him, just ignore him.)"
"Fluff, fluff, fluff..."
"(Hmm! I guess he doesn't realize his position. I feel sorry for
him. Just ignore him, just ignore him.)"
"Pita, pita, pita...."
"(God, what a pest! All right, get out of here! You dog...)"
"(That's it, I'll name him 'pooch'.)"
"Mix, mix, mix...."
"(What should I do... Is he following me? Really? What if he
follows me home...?)"
"(Poochy'll do it, I'm sure of it...)"
"Shake, shake, shake..."
"(You think he's after me? Really? This guy makes me sick... And
his eyes are weird too....)"
"(Yeah, don't hurt these guys' feelings. Let's at least say 'hi'
to him."
"Uhh.... Hel... Hello."
"What a nice day, today."

MJN SEIFER
12-25-2013, 04:09 PM
^To be fair, it's not a line that everyone will know as you have to keep talking to them. That happens a lot in FF games, what is a hidden fact to one play is something everyone knows to another.

Jiro
12-25-2013, 11:48 PM
I can't resist an opportunity to be right though :monster: But yes, it's not easy to see that bit of speech, and it's not like that dialogue proves anything regarding the "poo" line, especially given that the girl who says poo, uh I mean sir is actually the first person you encounter and doesn't have Cloud "stalking" her.