PDA

View Full Version : Lost in Translation

Scotty_ffgamer
12-09-2013, 06:30 AM
... is a great movie, no? I'm kidding. As much as I'd love to discuss that movie, that's not what the FF VII forum is for.

Anyways, this game is full of dialog which can be confusing, vague, or simply filled with improper grammar. This has lead to some hilarious quotes such as the infamous: "This guy are sick."

What are your favorite quotes or scenes from this game due to these unintentionally funny errors in translation?

Shorty
12-09-2013, 07:24 AM
The title of this thread is misleading because I wanted to come in and discuss one of the greatest films of the century :colbert:

Scotty_ffgamer
12-09-2013, 05:22 PM
I started a thread to discuss the movie now, so you can be happy. Anyways, I was sick and feeling really out of it when I started the thread last night. Really, I'm interested in quotes (or even pictures and video) of any part you found hilarious in this game that probably wasn't intended to be funny. That should open up more opportunities to share FFVII hilarity.

Shorty
12-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Hurray! I was only teasing, anyway :love:

"You look like a bear wearing a marshmallow."

silentenigma
12-09-2013, 06:56 PM
"You look like a bear wearing a marshmallow."

Please don't tell me that's actually a mistranslation.

Ayen
12-09-2013, 08:57 PM
This guy are sick is the only one I remember.

Psychotic
12-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Look out for something called "Secret" too!!

Scotty_ffgamer
12-09-2013, 09:24 PM
You took my favorite one! I'll have to see if I can find some of the pictures/ videos I did of these kinds of quotes while playing this game with a friend a few years ago.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-11-2013, 06:13 AM
Aeris when she first meets Cloud - "This is a church in the Sector 5 slums. It suddenly fell on top of me. It really gave me quite a scare."

I always imagine the entire church actually falling from the sky and landing on top of Aeris Wizard of Oz style when she says this.

Ayen
12-11-2013, 06:40 AM
Ah, well, churches falling from the sky weren't at all uncommon back then. I remember several churches falling from the sky when I was a kid, usually on the eve of Holitist, an ancient ritual in which everyone wears a furry hat and talk about rabbits.

Botchmun
12-11-2013, 06:42 AM
Backstroke of the West is the best movie lost in translation.

The Man
12-11-2013, 06:45 AM
"Attack while it's tail's up!" The first instruction given to the player got changed to the exact opposite of what it was intended to say, and it was grammatically incorrect to boot. Great start!