PDA

View Full Version : Worst Console for Final Fantasy

Elskidor
12-09-2013, 07:32 PM
I think SNES and PS1 are easily the most popular system eras for Final Fantasy, but what would you consider worst console era for Final Fantasy games? I know you can own nearly all Final Fantasy games with a PS3 or PSP, but I'm talking more about the original systems they were intended for.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-09-2013, 08:21 PM
I'd have to say the current generation. Every generation before got 3 numbered entries for their system. We've got only two this generation (xiii and xiv). Xiv is great but not everyone can play or wants to play mmos. xiii is pretty widely considered the worst in the series, and many ff fans are tired of xiii's world and characters. What's worse, versus xiii just never happened this generation and type-0 still hasn't seen a western release.

I'm not saying the xiii games are bad. I enjoy them. Simply, this generation has really lacked variety compared to past generations.

Ayen
12-09-2013, 08:39 PM
I'd have to say the current generation. Every generation before got 3 numbered entries for their system. We've got only two this generation (xiii and xiv). Xiv is great but not everyone can play or wants to play mmos. xiii is pretty widely considered the worst in the series, and many ff fans are tired of xiii's world and characters. What's worse, versus xiii just never happened this generation and type-0 still hasn't seen a western release.

I'm not saying the xiii games are bad. I enjoy them. Simply, this generation has really lacked variety compared to past generations.

Pretty much this. A mediocre game and a MMO that needed an overhaul because they didn't listen to their beta testers the first time isn't much to write home about.

Bolivar
12-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I'd say we're about done here.

VeloZer0
12-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Sorry to say that I don't have anything over and above to add. Should we have a contest for second worst?

Elskidor
12-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Sure, why not

Mirage
12-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Yeah, this thread is pretty much over. lol.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-10-2013, 07:01 AM
The PS2 generation is kind of close, though. While we got three main games, all three of them seem more dividing (to me at least) than the generations before. X started the trend of being more linear, XI was an MMO, and XII in a lot of people's eyes was too automated with the Gambit system and had a lackluster story. We also had the first precedent of a sequel with X-2. It's sort of the generation that in many ways set up the current state of affairs, haha.

Psychotic
12-10-2013, 07:37 AM
The PS2 generation had two decent games in X and X-2 and then it all went to hell, so I guess that'd be the second worst. Though maybe NES is in for a shout? FF1 ruled, but then FF2 and 3 weren't released outside of Japan for over 10 years. That was pretty bad on Square's part. ...yeah I'm struggling here.

Ayen
12-10-2013, 08:09 AM
The PS2 generation had two decent games in X and X-2.

X and X-2.

X and X-2.

X-2.

My God.

Somebody else who actually liked X-2!

Psychotic
12-10-2013, 08:18 AM
If you strip away the girly crap and put in a SNES/PSX era story and characters into that gameplay, I would feel it would be a challenger for the best FF game. The (relatively - for an FF game!) open-ended gameplay and fast-paced battles were superb.

Ayen
12-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Yeah, that was the only thing I didn't like about the game. All the, "This is how girls talk, right?" It felt like a weird mix of Charlie's Angels (the movie) and Austin Powers on a rotating bed asking, "Do I make you horny, baby?"

maybee
12-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Yeah this era

I didn't enjoy XII but I'll take it over Lighting Returns anyday.

My God.

I liked it as well. It's not the best and it was cheesy at times, but it was fun and had a good battle system

Forsaken Lover
12-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Gamecube. All it had was Crystal Chronicles.

Quindiana Jones
12-10-2013, 09:34 AM
The PS2 era still had a nice variety, though. X was unique, X-2 was unique, XI was unique, and XII was unique. This generation, we were effectively only given one option. Final Fantasy's greatest strength and most wonderful factor was its variety, but that's getting pretty thoroughly pissed away with this generation and where its headed.

Shauna
12-10-2013, 10:08 AM
My God.

That is not a hugely unpopular opinion round these parts.

We are a weird bunch.

Mirage
12-10-2013, 11:37 AM
PS2 had four good games in it. I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Jinx
12-10-2013, 11:47 AM
I actually love FFX-2 for what it was. I don't think it's a particularly deep or profound story, but it's a lot of fun, and the battle system is great. The Dresspheres are addictive. I also love how you choose for a couple of chapters which side you're on. And the replay value is high because percentages, and also you get different scenes and outcomes if you do different things.

NeoCracker
12-10-2013, 12:02 PM
....Yeah, I think it's pretty much in agreeance then PS3/360 was the worst gen for it thus far. :p

PS2 would be second. There was FF XI, though I don't really do MMO's, the best single player was XII. Though XII, while I think there's a lot to like, did kind of fuck quite a few things up.

Next up I'd say the NES era. Good, I mean it gave us the first! And while II was god aweful, III was good, though saddly feels a bit too Archaich for me to get into it.

PSX up next for having IX, a personal favorite, VII which is overrated but still a good game, and Tactics. True, it is massively bogged down by FF VIII, but that is but one blemish.

SNES wins as best though. IV, V, and VI were all brilliant games.

Forsaken Lover
12-10-2013, 01:41 PM
I am physically wounded by the fact people are saying Crystal Chronicles is better than X.

Elskidor
12-10-2013, 03:13 PM
PS2 had four good games in it. I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

qft

In the states NES only got one title, so I could go for that. Some of these consoles only had random spin-off titles I've never tried though. Wasn't a lot of the games that came out on Nintendo consoles like this for awhile? I'd put PS2 as one of the better systems, coming in third.

Old Manus
12-10-2013, 04:17 PM
The PS2 generation had two decent games in X and X-2

I would feel it would be a challenger for the best FF game.

I liked it as well.

I actually love FFX-2 for what it was.

10/10 trop trolling raged hard

Ayen
12-10-2013, 04:24 PM
10/10 trop trolling raged hard

http://24.media.tumblr.com/3b45bef1429533f83b0a144a1db56222/tumblr_mpo1p3Plz31sppmago1_500.gif

Scotty_ffgamer
12-10-2013, 05:45 PM
I am physically wounded by the fact people are saying Crystal Chronicles is better than X.

I will say that me not mentioning Gamecube specifically is because I'm talking about generations rather than specific consoles, so Crystal Chronicles is in line with talking about the PS2 generation. Also, I always forget about Crystal Chronicles.

Loony BoB
12-10-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm gonna be controversial and say NES is the worst overall. In it's day it was probably the best, but if I were told that I would have to forget entirely about (and never play again) any one generation of FF games, it would be that one.