PDA

View Full Version : So many games, so little time

Ayen
12-10-2013, 06:25 AM
Are there any video games that you've been dying to play that you just haven't for one reason or another? Be it money issues, time constraint and so on?

One of the main ones for me is Metal Gear Solid 4. I've wanted to play that game since it came out in 2008 but since money is so tight around here I haven't been able to due to how much the game and a PS3 would have cost.

The same goes for inFAMOUS. I wanted to play that since playing a demo down at Walmart or Target (can't remember which). If the demo is any indication then I'm going to have a lot of fun with that game whenever I can play it.

And pretty much the rest of the Phoenix Wright games after 1 and 2.

Diablo 2, because it sounds really, really, REALLY fun from what my friends have told me about it. And Final Fantasy IX (what can I say, people have put me in a IX mood. I can't even remember the last time I played IX, that's how long it's been since I played IX)

Spuuky
12-10-2013, 07:05 AM
You could play Diablo 2, but if you "online only" doesn't bother you, Path of Exile is better at this point. And if online only does bother you, Titan Quest is still better.

My backlog of games is eternal and interminable. I get through one pretty regularly, but usually not before several more have been added, especially if it's a longer game I'm playing. I got three done this week, though.

Del Murder
12-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Half my 3DS collection. Still hooked on Pokemon.

Pike
12-10-2013, 08:01 AM
All of them. I probably have about 150 unplayed games on Steam at this point. That's not counting console stuff.

Ayen
12-10-2013, 08:01 AM
You could play Diablo 2, but if you "online only" doesn't bother you, Path of Exile is better at this point. And if online only does bother you, Titan Quest is still better.

Online only?

Lame.

Shauna
12-10-2013, 09:55 AM
All of the games I own. And I just keep getting more. ;_;

Tasura
12-10-2013, 10:55 AM
All of the games I own. And I just keep getting more. ;_;

Entirely this.

Dr Unne
12-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Someone somewhere on the internet made an apt analogy between a game backlog and a fridge full of food. Do you feel pressure to eat all of the food in your fridge? No, you eat what you're in the mood for and you only eat a little at a time.

You can think of a game backlog in the same way. Play the games you're in the mood for. Play a game until you get a good sense of what the game is all about. If you like it, play it lots more. If you don't like it, or if your mood takes you elsewhere, put it down and play another one. It's a game, not a chore or an obligation. In the case of a downloaded game, it's an imaginary piece of property that leapt into existence when you bought it. It's not like you're depriving starving kids in Africa of games by wasting yours.

There's no shame in not playing/beating every game you own. Especially in this age of absurd sales. When I buy a Humble Bundle for one game and get 5 other ones for free, I feel no pressure to play/beat those other 5. I'll try them and if they blow me away, sure I'll play, but if not, then oh well.

I got every Tomb Raider game including the 2013 one for $12 last week on Steam. I only wanted the 2013 one, but the price of the whole bundle was significantly less than the normal price of TR2013 on its own. That's a bunch of games I'll probably never beat either. Who cares?

ToriJ: If past MGS games are any indication, they'll keep re-releasing MGS4 for all eternity in special editions and collections. And yeah, play FF9. You know you want to.

Bolivar
12-10-2013, 02:07 PM
I signed up for Playstation Plus for PS4 multiplayer and thought I'd check out what's free on PS3. Turns out its insane stuff like XCOM, Hotline Miami, Ico and SotC HD, Grid 2 and some other things. I think Borderlands 2 is free either today or Thursday. I also had so many free games on Vita I just up and bought one because it's not like I had any choice.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Ugh, I'm not even done with Nier and it's almost been a whole year, I started Resonance of Fate and left it off and I haven't gotten back to it since May, and I bought Last Story and haven't even gotten to THAT yet.
Dammit life, get out of my way. I wanna play games.

NeoCracker
12-10-2013, 02:23 PM
YOU'RE SENSIBILITIES HAVE NO PLACE HERE UNNE!

Shorty
12-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Skyrim! :(

Araciel
12-10-2013, 04:56 PM
I have so many games but I play for like an hour or three then don't come back - newest game I have but don't play is still dragon's crown.

Madame Adequate
12-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Absolute buttloads of games, including both PS3 games, a ton on Steam, FFXIV, AssCreed 4, Battlefield 4, the list goes on and on.

Del Murder
12-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Someone somewhere on the internet made an apt analogy between a game backlog and a fridge full of food. Do you feel pressure to eat all of the food in your fridge? No, you eat what you're in the mood for and you only eat a little at a time.
Food goes bad so you pretty much have to eat it all or waste it...plus who buys a ton of food and only eats what they feel like for months? That's kinda weird. Just buy the food you're going to eat that week.

Game backlog is more like a bookshelf full of books. Some of us have one shelf, some have an entire case, some have a whole library. Depends on your tastes. I'm more of a one shelf man but we do have several 'librarians' here.

black orb
12-11-2013, 04:17 AM
>>> Lots of games mostly PSP titles, but is not like I have been dying to play them or anything. The only game I really want to play is FFXHD, and is not out yet..:luca:

Wolf Kanno
03-29-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm sure I am not the only person who has a backlog of games I should be playing. So what games in your backlog do you want to play but keeping getting sidetracked by new games or replaying favorite standby's for?

NeoCracker
03-30-2014, 10:34 AM
Now that I should be able to, SUikoden III, as well as BoF IV and Suiokogaiden Vol. 2.

Pike
03-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Going ahead and merging these threads since the original is under six months old and had some interesting points raised in it (IMO).

Dat Matt
03-30-2014, 08:43 PM
We are at the stage of buying "New Games" as they are released. So for example this month we picked up Ateiler Escha and Logy, Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton and Yoshi's New Island. While these games are unlikely to be played for a while we still get them when they come out because we are insane.

There are some games that get played immediately when bought. Pokemon Y, A link between Worlds and Bravely Default are examples of these. Mario Kart 8 will be the next in the list of "Play as soon as you get it". Everything else is resigned to endless backlog and we'll get to it at some point.

escobert
03-31-2014, 12:13 AM
Only about 15 years late on D2 ;) trout was awesome back in the day. I think my right pointer finger is broken for life from it. I tried to play Path of Exile.. I can't make my finger click that much anymore. it hurts and gets mad :(

ever since I discovered DayZ Stand Alone and Mod I have no desire to play much else.

Shaibana
03-31-2014, 01:04 PM
i still want to buy The Last of Us; Left Behind.
i dont know why i havent bought it yet.. i dont like spending money, lol, becaus im unemployed :o

Bubba
03-31-2014, 01:40 PM
I've been trying to get into the habit of finishing every game I've started as I'm usually terrible for this. I've recently finished GTAV and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. I've got Tomb Raider (2013) and The Saboteur lined up next.

My list of unfinished/unplayed games though is still shockingly high.