PDA

View Full Version : LadyYunaFFX2's Top 15 Video Game Villains List

LadyYunaFFX2
12-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Yes .. I finally found a list that I wanted to create for myself

Credit (and blame) goes solely to Torij for this.

DISCLAIMER: I am only including games I've played. So if I haven't put up someone from a game you personally like, it isn't because I disagree. More likely than not, it'll be because I just haven't played the same game. This is my personal top 15 list. Why 15 and not 10 or 20? For one, it's a unique number to choose. Two, I did tons of research; several good hours in fact. I couldn't find enough for 20 -- not for games I've played anyways. But I did find more than 10 so I decided to go in between and do 15 rather than 10 or 20.

If you dislike it so much, go make your own. I'm merely making this for people to view, not to bitch at me.

Now then, without further ado, let's begin, shall we?

1: Vaas Montenegro (Far Cry 3)
2: The Joker (Injustice: Gods Among Us)
3: Cardinal Albert Simon (Shadow Hearts)
4: Larxene (Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories)
5: Killer & Lady (Shadow Hearts 3)
6: Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI)
7: Ganon/Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
8: Jester (Devil May Cry 3)
9: Alec Trevelyan (Goldeneye)

10: Heihachi Mishima (Tekken series)
11: Vega (Street Fighter II)
12: Seymour (Final Fantasy X)
13: Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)
14: Darrell "D-Mob" Lewis (Def Jam Vendetta)
15:Carmen Sandiego (Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?)
Honorable Mention: Tohru Adachi (Persona 4)

LadyYunaFFX2
12-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Honorable Mention: Tohru Adachi (Persona 4)

As much as I love this game, Adachi is by far one of the more tame villains, which kind of makes him hard to take serious in the first place. Still, his goal isn't any of the more typical ones. He tosses people through TVs and leaves them to die, all for various reasons. But when we learn the first victim is a classmate who rejected his advances and she winds up dead ... you can't help but begin to realize he's not as sane as he seems.

The fact he's beside the protagonist's uncle the entire game - and manages to fool him - is honestly admirable too, given he's just the 'assistant', or supposed to be. So when all is said and done, I still have to give credit where it's due.

LadyYunaFFX2
12-10-2013, 12:33 PM
#15: Carmen Sandiego (Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?)

Man does this game title take me back. It's been a hell of a while, but I did play the game and even watched the game shows when they used to be on TV years ago. This is partly a guilty pleasure for my love of mysteries but honestly ... she is a villain when all is said and done. And an annoying-ass one to catch. But the fact she can keep herself so well hidden is all more the reason I added her here.

She adds a sense of intrigue and curiosity about her. Because she continues to hide, you want to learn more about her, you want to do your best to catch her. She just .. is able to get your attention like that. Well, mine anyways.

Ayen
12-10-2013, 12:34 PM
6: Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI)

You did this on purpose! xD

Only familiar with eight of them, but I approve of all the ones I'm familiar with. Man, been forever since I talked to someone about Vega. He was one of my favorite characters on Street Fighter.

LadyYunaFFX2
12-10-2013, 12:35 PM
#14: Darrell "D-Mob" Lewis (Def Jam Vendetta)

This is a game that I wouldn't blame people for not having heard of. But summed up, this guy owns an entire club, several even if I'm not much mistaken. I didn't find nearly as much information to remind me of the technical information on this guy. But I do know this; he's damn organized. In order to get your girlfriend that you lost back, he really makes you work for it.

How? By fighting so many of his 'subordinates' and other fighters, working your way to the top in an underground fighting club(s). And when you finally do go toe-to-toe against him .. you damn well better be ready because he can hit .. and hard. He also doesn't hesitate to attempt to cheat or use low blows, even resorting to guns as opposed to fists. He's an incredibly sore loser and not afraid to show it, along with his violent side.

LadyYunaFFX2
12-10-2013, 12:39 PM
#13: Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)

Yeah, yeah I can practically hear all the "What?! Why there?!" and things of the like. But hey, he's still there and given I wasn't originally intending on including him on this list, that's a start. Right?

Still, he is ruthless, more than willing to fight and/or kill anyone that stands in his way. And he remains true to his beliefs, never once giving up or faltering away from them. So I will give him props for that much. As an overall villain though, he really just didn't impress me nearly as much as others on this list.

But he is still a villain by nature ... and that was enough for me to add him here.

NeoCracker
12-10-2013, 12:49 PM
For the sake of those who have not played P4, you should probably Spoiler your villain there. :p

Knowing that persons the villain kind of kills the games mystery your first play through. :p

Loony BoB
12-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Carmen Sandiego is perhaps the most pleasantly surprising start to this list anyone could come up with. I already like it! Sephiroth is also rockin'.

Ayen
12-10-2013, 12:55 PM
I still remember playing the old Carmen Sandiego game at the public library. Hell, I still remember the cartoon and game show. Good times.

Psychotic
12-10-2013, 02:44 PM
I always wondered why they didn't just bother looking in San Diego :colbert:

For me, Sephiroth always intimidated me as a kid. I think, like, the legendary reputation he had and the music had a real effect. Obviously the whole "mommy's boy" thing people and his silly hair count against him as I grew up, but as a I kid I was really worried about the idea of facing him.

LadyYunaFFX2
12-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Truth be told, I technically cheated by even adding Sephiroth on the list. I haven't played VII but I've seen my spouse play it. And with how infamous he is, I did know enough to admit he technically deserved to be there.

Ayen
12-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Can't forget the theme music

t7wJ8pE2qKU

And just because

UnN13HtVeEQ

theundeadhero
12-10-2013, 05:07 PM
His hair isn't silly :colbert:

LadyYunaFFX2
12-10-2013, 05:49 PM
#12: Seymour (Final Fantasy X)

He may not be nearly as intimidating as most of the others listed, but I do have to give credit where it's due. Like many - most in fact - other villains I've listed, he has a goal .. and man does he go for it. In his case, it's not just the typical 'chaos' and whatnot, but he also is so adamant on marrying Yuna. Even after you've beaten him once - and he's not sent away - he still doesn't easily give up and in fact, nearly succeeds in marrying the Summoner.

Aside from his persistence, he does have one of the cooler summons in the game, Anima. Seymour is also able to deceive the cast [cast being the keyword here, not us/gamers] and play cards like the 'gentleman', 'overzealous' and 'sly' ones; seeming like a good guy when it's the very last thing he is.

Ayen
12-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Even after you've beaten him once - and he's not sent away - he still doesn't easily give up and in fact, nearly succeeds in marrying the Summoner.

I remember that day.

Best. Wedding crash. Ever!

Sephiroth
12-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Can't forget the theme music

t7wJ8pE2qKU

And just because

UnN13HtVeEQ

Me as well but I also can't forget his true theme music:

Final Fantasy VII - Those Chosen by the Planet [HQ] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rV40ypje7o)

LadyYunaFFX2
12-10-2013, 06:13 PM
#11: Vega (Street Fighter II)

People who tend to be obsessed with 'beauty' and similar aspects, I don't generally like. But with Vega, he's not just narcisstic but a cold-hearted assassin. Despite having been forever since I've played "Street Fighter II", any fight with or against Vega I can definitely recall. And he's one of the better yet more annoying challenges you go against.

Ayen
12-10-2013, 06:20 PM
VEGA! ♥ Favorite Street Fighter character of my brother and I.

Sephiroth
12-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Vega Fabio la Cerda is also my favourite of Street Fighter.

LadyYunaFFX2
12-10-2013, 06:31 PM
#10: Heihachi Mishima (Tekken Series)

I started playing "Tekken" with both my godbrother and brother at a very young age, beginning with the second one. So of course, I knew the early cast members, including Heihaci. Admittedly, they do make him - literally - a joke as the series goes on. But I think he shines best in "Tekken 3" and "Tekken 4".

As someone you have to fight against, he can be annoying as hell.

I like the fact he has a lot of charisma about him. How so? He's able to keep hosting tournaments, getting an array of people to join in and beat the living crap out of each other. And with those types of scenarios, you know that no one has to go. But the fact they all seem to find something, some motive to take the bait and enter this man's tournaments ... that would be how I view him as able to have that sense of leadership.

Also, he does often get help from outside sources, like scientists, to help out with his projects. And they definitely didn't have to assist out either.

Ayen
12-10-2013, 06:38 PM
This list just got 20% cooler and it was already cool to begin with.

LadyYunaFFX2
12-10-2013, 06:59 PM
#9: Alec Trevelyan (Goldeneye)

Ah, yes. Another game that takes me way back. Unlike any of the others listed here, he's actually one of those 'heroes turned into a villain' type which makes him all the more intriguing. You first know him as your comrade, only to later realize he's never been on your side the entire time. Makes for a very nice plot twist. I sure didn't see it coming when I played this game.

Worse off, he wasn't just any traitor. No, he was Bond's best friend which adds more to his character and the knowledge you have to go against him. It makes you almost wish you didn't have to at times, given you do have positive interactions with him before his reveal in the game, even regret knowing that the only way to deal with him is killing him.

So for his unique design - going from hero to bad - guy among everything I listed, Alec is certainly an individual whom I think deserves to be added onto this list. Fighting him in the last level is also a hell of a chore; just saying.

Psychotic
12-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Can I just give a big "hell yes!" on both counts. I remember Heihachi from before his hair was grey! My favourite moment was Tekken 4 when you face him in the final in a big cage... and he comes out in just a thong. Biggest wtf moment I had experienced in gaming for a long time :lol:

Also I actually really loved fighting Trevelyan on the last level - once I figured out how to do it to perfection, that is. I admit the first few tries I was a bit frustrated but I got it down to an art form. I loved his lines and insults and I loved the music that played.

LadyYunaFFX2
12-10-2013, 07:42 PM
@Psychotic: Proud smile

You may, yes.

@Everyone: Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to read and check up on this. To say I'm pleased with how it's all been turning out and appealing so far is an understatement.

Next up ....

#8: Jester (Devil May Cry 3)

I realize this one has two sides to it's coin, as it were. But he was a much better villain as Jester rather than Arkham. Why? Because he played everyone, even Vergil, and led them all to the exact place he wanted them to be. All to help accomplish his end goal. And given Dante and Vergil weren't easy to trick, that is awesome he could pull that off.

Sometimes, a bit of comedy mixed in with villains can be good; as long as it's balanced and not overdone. And with Jester, I feel they did him an incredible amount of justice. He came off as one of those villains you wanted to see again, regardless of why.

Ayen
12-11-2013, 05:59 AM
Jester schooled them all. Especially when they had him at knife/gun point and he tripped them all. I still laugh at that scene.

LadyYunaFFX2
12-11-2013, 09:02 AM
#7: Ganon/Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)

Despite him coming off as the typical 'princess kidnapper', I don't find that to be the case with Ganon. He's strong -- physically and with sorcery even. He's one of the few villains on this list that you see multiple times, showing a resolve and adamant refusal to be easily defeated. And honestly, I like that. He also has shown to resort to other crimes like arson and so much more; all to get a piece of the Triforce and keep it for himself.

Ayen
12-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Ganondorf: I like you.
Me: I'm very likeable!

I like him and I like a lot of Nintendo stuff. It's basically the video game equivalent of Disney. A lot of people grew up with it, many of their characters are timeless and people hate it for being a shell of it former self.

LadyYunaFFX2
12-11-2013, 09:14 AM
#6: Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI)

Don't let the funny-looking appearance fool you. Kefka is no doubt a villain. He is definitely one of those cases where appearances don't mean anything, particuarly regarding one's personality. In fact, he's the opposite of what one may immediately assume.

Kefka is short-tempered, insane, cruel and very destructive. He went through the effort of poisoning an entire river, not caring his own men were caught in the mess. But he's also one of the few villains who actually achieved his goals and, essentially, became God. Few villains, if any, can actually achieve such feats.

Need I add more about this man? When all is said and done, Kefka has definitely earned a spot on my list.

Botchmun
12-11-2013, 09:16 AM
His hair is so silly he cut it and became the lead singer to My Chemical Romance.

Ayen
12-11-2013, 09:18 AM
I still love how Kefka is #6. :joker:

His hair is so silly he cut it and became the lead singer to My Chemical Romance.

:lol:

LadyYunaFFX2
12-11-2013, 09:21 AM
#5: Killer& Lady (Shadow Hearts 3)

Yes, I realize this one may seem like it's cheating because there are two names. But almost instantly after they meet, they do work together and thus I count them as a duo. Honestly, I couldn't find it in me to root with the protagonists in Shadow Hearts 3. They were all ... well ... boring. Even Shania didn't grab my attention too much and given she was made to be the first female Harmonixer, that severly disappointed me.

With Lady and Killer, though, I found myself wanting to root for them the entire game. And in fact, I cried my eyes out for them, both in the game and in a really good AMV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI7SFWDiBsk) I found of them. Disregarding the latter, though, they had a goal, set out to do it ... and technically won.

In fact, they would have accomplished everything .. if it weren't for the fact you play as the protagonists.

Also, they stay true to their personalities, up until the very end. This may sound incredibly lame but honestly, that task is much easier said than done to accomplish with characters. Most creators make people - villains especially - go slightly out of their normal traits and personalities. But with Lady and Killer, it stayed consistent and it gave a very genuine, sincere atmosphere around them.

Ayen
12-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Oh, hello panty shot, how are you today?

Now that I have that out of my system they sound like a cool duo.

LadyYunaFFX2
12-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Ah, yes. I forgot her outfit was that .. revealing.

But yes, they are. They're some of the antagonists you will be more likely to root for than against for. I know me and Veinexes did.

#4: Larxene (Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories)

Oh dear gods, this woman was a real bitch to fight. Her abilities make her mean, no doubts. But that isn't the only reason why I've included her on the list. Out of all the Organization XIII members, she's one of the more loyal ones, hence why Axel isn't here. He plays the 'double agent' card, per se. With Larxene .. there's none of that.

I won't lie, the fact she is the only female member in Organization XIII is a very huge bonus for me. It shows that she has more willpower, more nerves to be able to carry out her tasks; more so than any other female. And when all is said and done, that's honestly a rather impressive feat to accomplish.

qwertysaur
12-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Larxene, one of the more loyal members? She was part of the conspiracy with Marluxia to overthrow the organization. :p

LadyYunaFFX2
12-11-2013, 09:45 AM
.... I said more, not perfectly.

And going off her role in Chain of Memories, hell yes she is.

Moving on .....

#3: Cardinal Albert Simon (Shadow Hearts)

Personally, I find this to be one of the more original villains. In fact, I sincerely wish the game had been given so much more publicity but .. I digress. Albert Simon, despite his age, can definitely kick ass. In fact, the first time you fight him as Yuri, he damn well nearly kills you. I won't spoil why he almost doesn't in exact details ... but let's just say were it not for a certain distraction, Yuri very well would probably have been dead within the first five minutes of the game.

Like Seymour, he can play the 'gentleman' card .. but so much better. Even though he is one of those villains who tries to bring about the end of the world, he does it in a more unique way than others I find.

Mirage
12-11-2013, 11:35 AM
#13: Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)

Yeah, yeah I can practically hear all the "What?! Why there?!" and things of the like. But hey, he's still there and given I wasn't originally intending on including him on this list, that's a start. Right?

Still, he is ruthless, more than willing to fight and/or kill anyone that stands in his way. And he remains true to his beliefs, never once giving up or faltering away from them. So I will give him props for that much. As an overall villain though, he really just didn't impress me nearly as much as others on this list.

But he is still a villain by nature ... and that was enough for me to add him here.

Not sure why you would hear a lot of "what?! and why there?!s"

In either case, I think you should spoiler the names, but not the name of the games. That way, people can avoid the villains from games they don't want to get spoiled.

LadyYunaFFX2
12-11-2013, 12:00 PM
@Mirage: Because he's so iconic and admittedly, this is a Final Fantasy site. I dunno. I'm my own worst critic.

#2: The Joker (Injustice: Gods Among Us)

Even as a child, I loved the 'Batman' series on TV. And in fact, if this were movie villains, Heathe Ledger's (may he rest in peace) version of the Joker would definitely be here. But .. since it's video games, I need to stay to the subject.

The reason is simple and yet powerful.

He forced Superman to go against his traditions. He got Superman so pissed, so infuriated that the Man of Steel kills the Joker. Not many people can push Clark that far over the edge. In fact, before him no one had; not in any video games that I immediately recall.

Also though, they kept his personality from all the series and movies, never once altering it. He stays the same clever, cunning, charismatic man that those who have seen him in other media sources recognize him as.

Ayen
12-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Gotta love that old school psychological warfare.

This was made by the people who made F.E.A.R I do believe, I need to check it out some time.

LadyYunaFFX2
12-11-2013, 12:06 PM
#1: Vaas Montenegro (Far Cry 3)

I have two words to sum this man up. 'Holy' and 'hell'. He knows what he wants and, much like Kefka, he'll do any and everything to get what he wants. So why is Vaas higher up in rank than Kefka? I find him so much more intimidating, honestly. He's the leader of an entire brigade of pirates that are all hellbent on capturing, killing, and/or both Jason Brody, whom you play as. And they are relentless in their pursuit.

Just by himself, the man is ruthless. The times you do go toe-to-toe against him, he's vicious -- mentally, psychologically, and physically.

For me, the fact he was introduced in the opening and thus gave me one hell of a first impression likely helped out. I knew from the start 'Whoa, damn. This guy's actually serious.' And .. it does hold true. He does what he loves, has no remorse, no second thoughts ... and can kill anyone all the while laughing, mocking you or even both.

He's sadistic, ruthless, violent, bloodthirsty ... and refuses to be redeemed, like a true villain.

Psychotic
12-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Vaas was incredible, such a forceful presence and commanding personality - he definitely stole the show. A great pick!

...did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?

LadyYunaFFX2
12-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Vaas was incredible, such a forceful presence and commanding personality - he definitely stole the show. A great pick!

...did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?
No but he did. Twice. =P

Yes, he is no doubt my favorite ... and likely will remain that way until someone else can steal that spot. But that will definitely be easier said than done.

theundeadhero
12-12-2013, 05:18 AM
Which happens to be one of my all-time favorite bands :shrug:

Botchmun
12-12-2013, 07:09 AM
I like this list. I like this list so much I want it to be my ringtone. Hell, list, why don't you come by my place and bang my sister?

Which happens to be one of my all-time favorite bands :shrug:

You have no idea how much that explains.