PDA

View Full Version : First opinions on Bravely Default

Dat Matt
12-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Has anyone else picked this up? What are you opinions so far? Apparently I am the only one playing this. Ha ha! Europeans.

Quick Look:

I am currently 2:30 hours in an so far I am impressed. There is a lot of choice presented to you from the get-go. So far I have found 3 jobs (jobs are won via boss battles with someone of that specific class) and every character can equip anything regardless of class. This is offset by having rankings for the items from E to S. S rank in equipment will offer more bonuses dependent on job. For example, a Freelancer (starting job) has a B proficiency with every weapon, but using a stave an changing to a monk increases the proficeny to an S so the power of said staff automatically rises.

My original grievance with the game was that the encounter rate was non-existent. Walking around the world map took about 30 seconds to find an encounter which annoyed me, however I have found that you can increase/decrease the encounter rate by +/- 50-100 % which was super handy. As such I am now my starting character is level 12 where my newest party member is level 6 and I stomped the boss.

Brave is a fun system too. The chance to use 4 actions in one turn per character really increases the speed of battle and will be great for strategic actions during tougher bosses. I have a habit of using all of my points in the furst turn for all of my characters and winning the battle before the enemy attacks which is fun. This will kill me eventually though...

Update 16/12/13 - I have found combinations of jobs that work for my team, and I have found that the spellfencer / red mage combo is insane. I'll embue my swordwith fira, use a special attack, use a special attack to inprove my hit count and do 2000 per (4x) hits to a boss with 20,000 Hp. The music for special attacks is also amazing. This is Ringabell's (Every character has one). Sounds very similar to Layton.

fz4Ya6BEUpk

NeoCracker
12-10-2013, 07:13 PM
FUCK YOU AND YOUR EARLY RELEASE EUROPE! FUCK YOU AND DIE!

CimminyCricket
12-10-2013, 07:14 PM
i have not picked it up because i have no european arms with which to grab it

Dat Matt
12-10-2013, 07:15 PM
I have european arms in which to play it.

It's pretty good. #ujelly

Aulayna
12-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Mr Shauna you should totally write a review for it once you've finished the game. (y)

Dat Matt
12-10-2013, 07:22 PM
I will if people are looking for it. That may take some time though, I decided to turn the encounter rate to +100% so I can barely move without laying the smackdown now (I am so overleveled already)

Scotty_ffgamer
12-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Write a review, Mr Shauna, and let all of us non Europeans cry in agony over the fact that we don't have it yet. I want this game, haha.

CimminyCricket
12-10-2013, 07:24 PM
i second Scotty's post. i want that game so bad.

Dat Matt
12-10-2013, 07:27 PM
I now have the black mage. Time to get my funk on.

Del Murder
12-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Mr Shauna you should totally write a review for it once you've finished the game. (y)
Agreed.

Also, this belongs in the General SE Forum.

Dat Matt
12-10-2013, 08:16 PM
I have (will) updated OP with my first impressions. Does anyone else here actually have the game xD

Bright Shield
12-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Have fun. This game looks amazing. It's the direction FF should be going in...

Vyk
12-11-2013, 02:39 AM
Why has nobody ever before let you choose your encounter rate? I loved FF6 and 7 for those abilities, and I kinda like that you had to earn them, but life is going so much faster these days and high encounter rates can quickly turn me off to a great JRPG

Aulayna
12-11-2013, 04:31 AM
I don't have it yet, no. I've been told not to get it because Santa might bring it for Christmas, which is usually code for "your Nan has bought that for you, don't buy it."

Jinx
12-11-2013, 12:01 PM
No, Mr. Shauna. I think you're the only one who has it. On this forum, you're the defaultly brave one.

Del Murder
12-11-2013, 04:17 PM
The greatest thing so far about this game I haven't played is that it doesn't have 'Final Fantasy' in the title. It's a reminder of the days when SE had interesting RPG IPs that weren't called 'Final Fantasy'.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Didn't they announce it as a spiritual sequel to Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light? I'm glad it didn't have the Final Fantasy name, too. I've just been thinking about the days when Square took more risks and had a larger variety of not just RPGs but also different genres.

Del Murder
12-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Yes, it is a spiritual sequel to FF:FHoL. They could have easily called it Final Fantasy: Bravely Default but I'm glad they didn't.

I have a big backlog of 3DS games but this will definitely have to go on it. 3DS is becoming an awesome system.

Dat Matt
12-11-2013, 11:11 PM
I think our 3DS library of physical games just hit 25. Despite having this massive backlog I played Pokemon Y, A Link Between Worlds and Bravely default pretty much on launch day.

I just got the Knight class too. Woooo!

Bolivar
12-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Yes, I am all kinds of tremendous quantities of jelly... glad to hear is good I just don't know what I should set the encounter rate to once i get it!

Def write a review, we can't trust game reviewers anymore!

maybee
12-13-2013, 02:47 AM
Going to get this game for Christmas :love:

Yes please, write up a review !

Shauna
12-13-2013, 10:06 AM
He may get a review battered out at some point. If he can ever take a break from playing the game. The 3DS is glued to his hand, I swear. ;P

Dat Matt
12-14-2013, 09:36 PM
I kinda need to play the game before i can review it dear xD

Jinx
12-14-2013, 09:40 PM
I kinda need to play the game before i can review it dear xD

What, you mean you aren't finished yet? :confused:

Rantz
12-14-2013, 10:15 PM
I may get this... but it's December! That means I'm poor! And I want to get Fire Emblem Awakening too :(

maybee
12-15-2013, 09:56 AM
GUYS

I just got this game in the mail today ! ~ waaaaaaaaaaaah !

http://24.media.tumblr.com/88f9cd4a39af480ba3c87b9147351cff/tumblr_mmwlc6H5xJ1s772n9o1_500.gif

Though it can't be opened til Christmas :cry:

Fynn
12-15-2013, 07:03 PM
I need a 3DS :cry:

Jowy
12-16-2013, 02:53 AM
With everyone comparing this to the second coming of Final Fantasy VI, I feel like I'll be investing in a 3DS sooner than later.

Depression Moon
12-16-2013, 03:09 AM
I will if people are looking for it. That may take some time though, I decided to turn the encounter rate to +100% so I can barely move without laying the smackdown now (I am so overleveled already)

I didn't think anyone really liked encounter rates like that. It always caused me to curse when it happened in an FF game. It's really more frequent in the older ones.

Dat Matt
12-16-2013, 10:02 PM
With everyone comparing this to the second coming of Final Fantasy VI, I feel like I'll be investing in a 3DS sooner than later.

You should. 3DS is currently a beast. I bought one cause a friend of Shauna's was selling it super duper cheap (as in £70 for the console, Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 Cheap) and it never really got used aside from a few games here and there. Then suddenly, BAM! 2013 has amazed me with everything that came out.

I didn't think anyone really liked encounter rates like that. It always caused me to curse when it happened in an FF game. It's really more frequent in the older ones.

I am silly, but the fact I can change the encounter rates is amazing. There will be times where I need to travel half way across the map through poisonous environments, or explore a dungeon and I can just set the encounter rate to 0. Alternatively I can be in an area with high exp yielding enemies and grind up a little bit with very little effort.

Karifean
12-17-2013, 12:12 AM
I actually really want to play this game ever since I found out it has the same scenario writer as Steins;Gate. I mean a combo of a job system Final Fantasy with the sheer awesome factor of Steins;Gate? A must have if I ever heard one. But I don't own a 3DS...! :argh:

Ultima Shadow
12-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Oh... haha, I hadn't even noticed this game existed. But if it's that awesome, I'll absolutely have to pick it up. :greenie:

Dat Matt
12-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Hey you US lamefaces!

You guys are getting a demo of the game on January second. REJOICE!

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/images/catttt.png

KentaRawr!
12-23-2013, 09:57 PM
I adore this game's soundtrack, and honestly want to play it for that alone. But since looking at some of the gameplay, I really want to play it. It makes me think of all the things I love about the Final Fantasy series, out of those I've played anyway.

One thing I've been curious about is whether the main site should have tabs for side games in the series (which this seems like it would count as, even without having FF in the title). I mean, we have one for FF:CC, right? But I guess that's more for the feedback forum than here. :p

Night Fury
12-25-2013, 06:54 AM
I received this from Santa this morning!

(Santa being my credit card with money from my uncle.)

Waiting for it to download and I'm so so so sooooo excited!

maybee
12-25-2013, 08:28 PM
This game is smurfing amazing. You better buy when it comes out in Americas, because it deserves attention and praise.

:heart:

Edea is the best :heart:

Let's make this Gamespot's Game of 2014 guys, if Zelda can do it, so can this.

Minami
12-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Just ordered the game today off amazon. Can't wait for it to arrive, it looks good

Dat Matt
12-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Edea is love.

Currently 45 hours in, and on chapter 6 (nearly maxed out all the jobs too). Should be blitzing towards the end so I can let you guys know what I think.

Minami
12-28-2013, 11:06 PM
I started playing mine today and i absolutely love it so far. I didn't have much time to play before work so i'll probably pull an all nighter tonight to play it.

Dat Matt
12-29-2013, 02:16 AM
Finished the game just there. Total time clocked was 52:45 hours. I have learned however that I did not get true ending, so that is tomorrow's job.

Pike
01-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Us poor Yanks don't get this game until next month but I downloaded the demo that came out today and I am having the time of my life. Been playing for hours and I can't stop. It's old-school grindy FF just without the name (for some reason.) Totally psyched for the full game! :hyper:

Ahhh Crescent Moon is so overpowered and delightful at level 6

Fynn
01-03-2014, 09:32 PM
I got this for Christmas! And there was much rejoicing :D

Pike
01-03-2014, 09:34 PM
I'm jealous but that's awesome :jess: I think I'll definitely pick this up when it comes State-side.

These horse-face bat imp things: Bronies.jpg. :mock:

Dat Matt
01-03-2014, 11:12 PM
I got the true end guys. I'll look to having a full review at some point soon.

You guys hyped for when it comes stateside?

Del Murder
01-04-2014, 12:55 AM
Yes! :squee:

Madame Adequate
01-04-2014, 02:01 AM
I enjoyed my time with the demo today.

The one time Europe gets something significantly earlier than America and of course I can't take advantage of that. Thanks for the region locking Nintendo, it was a sensible and productive policy that in no way engenders ill feelings.

Dr Unne
01-04-2014, 04:19 AM
What do you all think about this?

Bravely Default Censored For Western Release - IGN (http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/01/03/bravely-default-censored-for-western-release)

Del Murder
01-04-2014, 04:46 AM
As long as it doesn't affect the overall storyline that much, then I'm not too bothered. Those costumes are pretty scandalous. :Oo:

black orb
01-04-2014, 05:47 AM
>>> Too bad, I dont have a DS..:luca:

Bravely Default Censored For Western Release - IGN (http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/01/03/bravely-default-censored-for-western-release)
>>> Censoring low poly graphics? Stupid really..:luca:
It remind me when they censored some of the SNES FF sprites..

Fynn
01-04-2014, 07:17 AM

You know they had to do it if they wanted the right rating. Also, I'm pretty glad they did. The censored outfits look way more tasteful.

maybee
01-04-2014, 07:28 AM

Not surprised, so far and hopefully this isn't too spoiler y, it's very sexual and dodgy.

Pike
01-04-2014, 10:16 AM

It doesn't affect the gameplay so I don't mind. The newer costumes look better anyway (IMO).

Madame Adequate
01-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Ringabel is supposed to be this super womanizer, right? In the Japanese version he's 15. That's pretty alpha but I can understand why they changed it for the West.

Fynn
01-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Ringabel is supposed to be this super womanizer, right? In the Japanese version he's 15. That's pretty alpha but I can understand why they changed it for the West.

Nope. His is the only age unchanged from the JP version.

Dat Matt
01-04-2014, 08:34 PM
The outfits are fine. However censorship is pretty bad here for videogames in the west.

Edea's censored outfit is called the "Battle Bikini". It was going to be worn as part of a beauty contest in the city filled with women. Anges uses her vestal garb, so Edea uses the bikini. Is the fact she is scantily clad particularly offensive?

black orb
01-05-2014, 01:38 AM

You know they had to do it if they wanted the right rating. Also, I'm pretty glad they did. The censored outfits look way more tasteful.
>>> Fashion is something that has to be censored now?..:luca:

welcome back to the dark ages:monster:

Fynn
01-05-2014, 06:39 AM
I'm not saying it has to, but it was unavoidable if they wanted a PEGI 12 rating. Also, Mr. Shauna, it probably would have been offensive to some if Edea stayed 15.

You know, some people are boycotting the game for this, which is really mad, in my opinion. Sure, that's a great idea, considering this was supposed to be a Japan-only title that we were lucky got a Western release and it selling well is the only thing that can warrant the sequel getting a Western release. But I guess it's all worth it because we don't get to ogle some barely dressed chibi ladies.

Sometimes I really hate the Internet.

maybee
01-06-2014, 02:28 AM
Ringabel is supposed to be this super womanizer, right?

Ringabel makes Edgar, Irvine and Zidane look like they're not interested in the opposite sex /smug

You know, some people are boycotting the game for this, which is really mad, in my opinion. Sure, that's a great idea, considering this was supposed to be a Japan-only title that we were lucky got a Western release and it selling well is the only thing that can warrant the sequel getting a Western release. But I guess it's all worth it because we don't get to ogle some barely dressed chibi ladies.

Sometimes I really hate the Internet.

The Internet is pretty horny, so this isn't too shocking xD

But yeah, it's chibi's so you would have to pretty desperate if you want to get horny over that.

black orb
01-06-2014, 04:59 AM
it was unavoidable if they wanted a PEGI 12 rating.
>>> I dont know how the videogame rating system works at japan but from what Im concluding at this point, that game was targeted for an older audience like 17+ or something at japan? :luca:

But I guess it's all worth it because we don't get to ogle some barely dressed chibi ladies.

>>> Censoring stupid stuff (like crosses in La Pucelle Tactics :eep:) is even more offensive than barely dressed chibi ladies. Atleast that is how i see it.. :luca:

Fynn
01-06-2014, 07:16 AM
It is. But here it's just that. Mini boobies.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
01-07-2014, 11:13 PM
eh, I'm not bothered by the censorship personally.
I just-- can we all take a moment to appreciate the gorgeous background art???

black orb
01-07-2014, 11:57 PM
>>> Wait a minute..... dont tell me that, the reason behind this game censorship (raping) is just to grab a few more sales by changing its original rating?..

Well done Nintendo, looks like you keep pulling this sort of crap after all these years.. and some Nintendo fans seem to reinforce this BS attitude..:roll2

Thanks god I gave up on Nintendo a long time ago..:luca:

Del Murder
01-08-2014, 02:17 AM
I don't think it's the Nintendo fans with the BS attitude...:-P

maybee
01-08-2014, 03:09 AM
I'm starting to hate the Brave/ Default battle system, if you Brave too much you can become a sitting duck in the middle of Boss fights, [which is imo totally unfair], you just used all of your Braves on Cura heals and one attack, congrts ! Your White Mage with lower HP than the others is now a sitting duck !

Also if you don't Brave enough, you can still become a sitting duck, because you most likely didn't heal enough during that turn, so watch as the Boss whacks you down to the ground.

The older Final Fantasy system had more balance between the bosses and the party.

Or is it because I suck at the system ??

Black Magic Shopkeeper
01-08-2014, 04:09 AM
It's kinda hard to grasp. I kinda like the brave/default system because it gives more value to defending.
As long as you can juggle between defaults and braves well enough there should be no problem.

I've found that in boss battles I let my most important team members (healers and cannons) default for the first three rounds, then pelt the boss with everything I've got. Sometimes I might have EVERYONE default the first three rounds.
So you don't have to render your characters useless as long as you play it safe. It's all up to strategy.

Fynn
01-08-2014, 05:41 AM
Indeed. I usually start boss battles by defaulting everyone until they stack three points each. Then I make judgments on whether to brave or default based on who has how many HP, how the boss acts, etc., while trying to make it so that someone will get a turn after the boss's next turn. I actually love it. It's the most strategic take on the classic turn based system (as in, first you issue commands, then hope the boss doesn't kill your characters before they take action) I've ever seen. As for random battles, I usually brave everyone to the maximum, and the battle takes three seconds. Grinding has never been so quick :D

The only boss that have be trouble till now was on chapter two: the Red Mage, and only due to revenge. That skill made me brave less and default more, which I guess was pretty much what that battle was supposed to be like. As for the crystal boss, Rusalka, it was one of the most fun bosses so far. Let me just say I love my spell fencer Edea :D

Also, black orb, you know what's rape? Rape. Nothing else. This is adjusting to cultural standards. What's often acceptable in Japan would often be found reprehensible in the West. And you can't hate a company for wanting to make more money, as that's basically what their main source of income is.

On the topic of rape, I have now beaten Florem and I can tell you this. A 15-year-old Edea being casually implied to be raped would not fly in countries with the age of consent being higher even if they changed the rating. I personally live in a country where the age of consent of 15, but I'm still glad they changed the ages, if only because the characters speak more like 18-20-year-olds than 15-17-year olds.

black orb
01-08-2014, 08:31 PM
This is adjusting to cultural standards. What's often acceptable in Japan would often be found reprehensible in the West.
>>> How about adjusting the rating instead, and just leave the game`s integrity untouched?..:luca:

And you can't hate a company for wanting to make more money, as that's basically what their main source of income is.
>>> Make money is ok, resorting to sneaky underhanded tactics to make even more money is just being greedy, and yeah I can totally hate them for that..:luca:

Fynn
01-08-2014, 09:45 PM
This is adjusting to cultural standards. What's often acceptable in Japan would often be found reprehensible in the West.
>>> How about adjusting the rating instead, and just leave the game`s integrity untouched?..:luca:

Not really. The content I mentioned earlier would probably not fly under any rating if Edea stayed 15.

Hate whatever you want, man. I just think you're exaggerating a bit, but that's just my opinion.

Minami
01-08-2014, 10:14 PM
I use the same strategy as white wizard.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
01-09-2014, 09:36 PM
you know what's rape? Rape. Nothing else.

:heart::plumcheer:^THIS^:plumcheer::heart:

I didn't wanna say it myself coz I feel like I've been causing too much trouble recently, but likening anything to rape is just plain wrong.

Currently there are a lot of movements, especially in the US, trying to raise awareness against the objectification of women (and other people struggling against oppression). It's a real pity that none of this has actually leaked to Japan, because it seems as if almost every anime these days has big wobbly titties and full-on panty shots wobbling in our faces, which is offensive to me. Especially with young ladies who aren't even developed enough to make it out of having children healthily.

Just tell me this: Do you honestly believe Bravely Default will be any less of an interesting story without the inappropriate ages and bondage strap clothing? Do you think it will damage the quality of the gorgeous background art, the characters and their personalities, and the comedy in the dialogue?

Basically all I think would be missing is the fanservice. Fanservice isn't worth my time.

If you want the original content, just get the version that hasn't been localized for the US. Pick up a copy of a Japan or UK import of the 3ds and play it that way.

Fynn
01-09-2014, 09:41 PM
you know what's rape? Rape. Nothing else.

:heart::plumcheer:^THIS^:plumcheer::heart:

I didn't wanna say it myself coz I feel like I've been causing too much trouble recently, but likening anything to rape is just plain wrong.

Currently there are a lot of movements, especially in the US, trying to raise awareness against the objectification of women (and other people struggling against oppression). It's a real pity that none of this has actually leaked to Japan, because it seems as if almost every anime these days has big wobbly titties and full-on panty shots wobbling in our faces, which is offensive to me. Especially with young ladies who aren't even developed enough to make it out of having children healthily.

Just tell me this: Do you honestly believe Bravely Default will be any less of an interesting story without the inappropriate ages and bondage strap clothing? Do you think it will damage the quality of the gorgeous background art, the characters and their personalities, and the comedy in the dialogue?

Basically all I think would be missing is the fanservice. Fanservice isn't worth my time.

If you want the original content, just get the version that hasn't been localized for the US. Pick up a copy of a Japan or UK import of the 3ds and play it that way.
This. Granted, Japan objectifies men almost equally. There's much more fanservice involving men than anywhere in the West. It's a bit more fair this way, I guess? I mean, it's still objectification, but the double standard is less pronounced.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
01-10-2014, 03:39 AM
Ah, too true. Mostly -younger boys- get the animated fanservice, which is just plain creepy. Still, it is a little less common.

In other news, I'm stuck at the minotaur in the demo... any suggestions on what I should do??
I've got every job leveled up to 3 on everyone, everyone's level 14, and I've determined that the Minotaur has 6000 hp and is weak against fire.
I thought it would be a breeze after all that grinding and knowing how to work with the brave/default system... still I find myself losing it halfway through the battle every time.

I'm thinking I should tackle it with 2 magic-users to spam fire and 2 healers to protect the team... But I have to hold off til tomorrow, so I don't run out the demo's uses.

(Man I remember when demos didn't have limited uses. What kind of idiot thought it would be a good idea to give a demo -limited uses-???
Oh well... at least I get treats in the full release for completing quests in the demo. That's a cool deal.)

Fynn
01-10-2014, 06:01 AM
Do you get acces to the ranger class in the demo? I always use beast slayer against them.

Also, just to finish off the censorship thing, this outfit also got cut :D

But yeah, it's not just kids. In shows aimed at women or girls, they deliver in the male eye-candy department. The very genre of yaoi is a romanticized version of male homosexual relationships written by women for women. So yeah, they do get more forward with their objectification.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
01-10-2014, 06:48 AM
Dear God, what class is that even supposed to be??
Well, I see your point. But I think what bothers me most is that such fanservice has gotten so damn graphic in general media within the last 4 years that it makes it difficult NOT to come by a show where every bit of detail in the curvature of someone's buttocks is visible through their pantyhose-- and often times it will be featured on a show that is NOT labelled as 'ecchi', 'hentai', 'harem', or anything of the sort.
It wasn't so bad for me in the 90's-- in fact not at all, because panty shots were short, not very detailed, and thus easy to overlook; breasts and noodles were exposed, but they weren't bouncing/flapping around all over the place, so THAT wasn't such a big deal for me either. It's probably because animation qualities weren't so crisp as they are now... or something.

At least I can say that with Japan the general population seems to be more understanding towards LGBT+ communities. While I'm no advocate or anything, I think it's important to make everyone feel comfortable with their preferences/traits, and a lot of actually funded Japanese media does just that. That kind of thing is kind of hard to come by around here.

And nah, I don't seem to have access to the Ranger class. It's got Swordmaster, Valkyrie, Performer, Ninja, red mage, black mage, white mage, knight, and of course Onion Kni-- I mean freelancer.

Fynn
01-10-2014, 07:23 AM
Hmm... Afraid I can't help. I haven't used many of those jobs yet :/ A ranger really helps against those guys, so at least keep that in mind for the full version.

That is actually a DLC costume. Don't it just make you wanna tap that Ringabel booty? :kakapo:

And I agree about the anime thing. However, all that is justified by (and may perhaps be even a cause of) many social issues that have been plaguing Japan lately. But now I think we're getting just a tad bit off-topic, so we might talk about it somewhere else :D

Dat Matt
01-11-2014, 12:02 AM
My end game party was this

Tiz - Pirate/Time Mage
Edea - Spellfencer/Red Mage
Ringabel - Swordmaster / Performer
Anges - Spiritmaster / White Mage

Anges would be main healer, Edea as backup. Default every turn with Anges and heal when necessary. Tiz and Edea would mostly just attack until things died and Ringabel offered attack up spells via the performer abilities when they were needed. Suited me just fine. Good tip is to find a strong weapon, give it to a character and then find out what class has the S rank proficiency with that weapon.

Pike
01-11-2014, 01:48 AM

If Ringabel was a girl this sort of thing wouldn't even be a headline but the fact that he's a guy makes it all the more scandalous (and hilarious)

maybee
01-11-2014, 05:28 AM
Just got the Pirate class !

Yoo- ho-ho and a bottle of rum !~ :jess:

That is actually a DLC costume.

Yeah, the girls from memory got Playboy bunny type outfits xD

Black Magic Shopkeeper
01-11-2014, 12:54 PM
If Ringabel was a girl this sort of thing wouldn't even be a headline but the fact that he's a guy makes it all the more scandalous (and hilarious)

It's so hot coz he's wearing a diaper.

Fynn
01-11-2014, 01:02 PM

It's so hot coz he's wearing a diaper.

No! It's a bathing suit! The type of bikini that only has metal hoops on the hips, fully exposing the skin there :D

I don't know about you guys, but I think that's what should have been called the Bravo Bikini.

Vyk
01-14-2014, 05:38 AM
I haven't really been following this game's details, just mainly the love for it gives me enough affirmation to give it a purchase when it comes out. But this is interesting. I'm not particularly fond of Japan's love of under-age sexualization. So I guess I'll be glad for the change. I don't want to be in control of little kids anyway. It might be blasphemous to purists. But then again, I believe the changes they're making should have been the way the game was originally made anyway. But different strokes for different folks. And most people are getting what they want anyway. Westerners get a quality JRPG. And Easterners get a quality fanserviced JRPG or something

Fynn
01-17-2014, 12:29 PM
I think it's worth noting that the Revo's soundtrack is basically the second coming of Nobuo Uematsu. Needless to say, it's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z8t8cLr748
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHeuR_bC9GM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLBTIUzPpEQ

Dat Matt
02-04-2014, 08:18 PM
So this comes out of Friday for NA. Are you nerds psyched?

I had completely forgotten about doing a review for the game. Do you want me to do one prior to the games release, or wait like a week so you can all experience the magic for yourself?

Ps - Been playing pokemon for around 250 hours after finishing Bravely default. Memories may be skewed.

Ayen
02-04-2014, 09:35 PM
If it's going to be spoiley a week or so may be best. I know Locky plans to do a spoiler free one.

I wasn't psyched before, but after reading up some more on it I am and seeing how passionate people are about it makes me excite. Saving up money for a 3DS is now top priority so I'll be able to get this game. Or a 2DS since those are supposed to be a cheaper alternative to the 3DS, I'm not bothered whether or not the game's 3D.

With this and Thief coming out in the same month I'm the most excited I've been about Square related games in a long time. Curious to see how well sales are over here compared to another game of interest.

Dat Matt
02-04-2014, 09:50 PM
If I could get 3DS game sot play on a DSi XL I'd go for that. 3DS XL is amazing and I love it. Don't think I could work with a 2DS.

I'd try to keep it sopiler free, I'd screen it with my editor (Miss Mitchell) before posting :P

Ayen
02-04-2014, 09:55 PM
It does look more comfortable than the 2DS. I don't know what they were thinking putting the buttons on the top part like that.

Dat Matt
02-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Apparently if you have large man hands like I do the 2DS isn't for you. Small baby hands are suited to the 2DS.

Skyblade
02-06-2014, 03:44 AM
This is a "first impressions" thread. Why are there so many spoilers and endgame spoilers?

Although I'm not really tempted to click them, so I suppose I don't mind. But it is weird to have an entire thread discussion carried on in spoiler tags.

Del Murder
02-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Good point. It looks like that discussion was moved into a new thread. Remember this is only for first impressions people!

Skyblade
02-07-2014, 12:14 AM
I think it's worth noting that the Revo's soundtrack is basically the second coming of Nobuo Uematsu. Needless to say, it's awesome.

0z8t8cLr748
vHeuR_bC9GM
OLBTIUzPpEQ

When putting videos in YouTube tags, you don't want to put the entire URL in there. Instead, you just put the video code.

YouTube URLs use this format:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk-9ihcy2R8
The watch?v= is a YouTube redirector indicating which video is being watched (hence the format), and everything after that is the code for the individual video (which is why those codes get so weird and random). So everything after the = is what you would want to put inside the youtube tags. Or it will just give anyone who clicks the videos an error, the way yours was.

Also, the track Wicked Flight (middle one of the three you put up) has sections with an overture that sounds to me like a faster, rock version of the Great Fairy theme from Legend of Zelda:
EuogfgCS2QE

Skyblade
02-08-2014, 03:49 AM
Now that I have actually been playing the game for a few hours, it is time for me to give my first opinions.

SQUEEEEE!!!

*Ahem*

This game is utterly fantastic. Thus far, it is everything I hoped it would be.

My first squee came within the first few seconds of gameplay, when I was randomly exploring around the inn of Caldisla and I discovered an item and a stash of gold. Finally, an RPG that rewards classic exploration around town! It was only a few minutes later that I discovered several more items scattered around the city-state.

My next squee, however, came even before my discover of the additional items around town. Caldisla looks absolutely gorgeous. The artistic style has an almost rustic sketched look to it, while still being colorful and incredibly detailed. I am not at all doing it justice here, so let me just say that it looks absolutely stunning. It looks even better than Ancheim (I think that's the place) did in the demo. What's more, it keeps looking amazing whether you are zoomed in while moving around, or while you set the game down for a second and it zooms out to show you the entire city. It is simply awe-inspiring, and the 3D just makes it look even better.

My third squee came after I first went to talk to the king and start my quest, and it was more of a squee of giddy excitement over the entire experience than it was over any one particular feature. The story, while simplistic thus far (I had only just begun) was so satisfying. It wasn't an epic, convoluted, or confusing mess. It was a straightforward call to adventure, with a solid reason, and a compelling character. The townsfolk are sympathetic, the king is reasonable, and the captain is awesome.

My fourth squee came shortly after Agnès Oblige joined the party, and we got to see the interactions between her and Tiz for the first time. This was closely followed by an even bigger squee when, after she officially joined, the game revealed that it was going to have mid-game/mid-dungeon character banter, a feature that was lifted almost whole-heartedly from the Tales series (and was one of the best features of the Tales series, in my opinion), right down to the different character portraits taking corners of the screen and discussing issues with each other.

And my final squee of my first impressions was a result of the first, minor, story arc. The path through to unlocking the first jobs, the mechanism of it, and the story bits involved in the first jobs we get. It ran the gamut from absurd and ridiculous, to touching, to awesome, and more. It was just so...colorful.

Thus far, I have no complaints about this game at all. It is everything I had hoped it would be, and more. It is the perfect throwback to the elements of not just Final Fantasy, but every traditional JRPG. Strong characters, fun stories, exquisite gameplay (which received no squees merely because I had already squeed at the combat during the demo), a compelling world, and a near perfect balance of tone, between serious and comic. Square, you guys have hit this one out of the park. This is what all your fans have wanted from you guys for so long.

Vermachtnis
02-08-2014, 04:52 AM
I just finished the prologue and I enjoyed every minute of it. Ringabel is my favorite character so far with Edea in a close second. And I am loving the soundtrack. And the battle system is great and the fact that the first four classes you get are my favorite classes doesn't hurt. I left Tiz a freelancer until I got the Knight class for him. Ingés is my White Mage, Ringabel my Black, and Edea my Monk.

Fynn
02-08-2014, 06:32 AM
Yeah, Ringabel and Edea are amazing, but by no means does that mean that Tiz and Agnés are not compelling.

I also think one thing worth mentioning is the voice acting. It's... Surprisingly uneven. Some of the NPCs have terrible voices, and yet the main cast seems pretty spot-on. The only main character whose voice I have some gripes with is Agnés. I mean, sometimes she sounds really good, but most of the time I think the actress is trying way too hard for that 'breathy voice' effect. This is weird, considering her VA is a very experienced and talented one.

And Ringabel is voiced by Spike Spencer and boy, is the way he chews the scenery magnificent :D

Skyblade, let it be known to you that you are not alone in your squeeing. I still keep squeeing, even though I'm pretty far in. ;)

maybee
02-08-2014, 01:23 PM
I just finished the prologue and I enjoyed every minute of it. Ringabel is my favorite character so far with Edea in a close second.

Yes team Ringabel !

NeoCracker
02-08-2014, 04:02 PM
I just gor Ringabel, I think I"m getting Edea very soon. I'm playing on hard, and OH DEAR GOD THIS GAME IS PRETTY!

Combat is fun so far, I'm currently using all squires, lvl2 White Mage on everyone. Originally I did it for the heals, the the obnus M.DEF should be handy considering I suspect that mage is up next to fight. This keep is a bit bothersome considering I'm not using Monk on anyone right now, but eh.

Dat Matt
02-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Having ringabell as a monk early on really helped me out. The fact they benifit from having no weapons was amazing in the first few dungeons.

Edea is love though.

NeoCracker
02-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Welp, after hitting lvl 19, I beat the shit out of 4 of the Beelz Nemesis and nabbed two Dexterity buns, and now I'm off to beat up the Merchent guild people! Huzzah!

Tiz is currently a Fighter with White Mage support, Edea Monk with Misc for now, Agnes as a Thief with White Magic (White Mage for the Beelz fights) and Ringa as a Black Mage with White Magic.

Skyblade
02-09-2014, 06:03 PM
Welp, after hitting lvl 19, I beat the trout out of 4 of the Beelz Nemesis and nabbed two Dexterity buns, and now I'm off to beat up the Merchent guild people! Huzzah!

Tiz is currently a Fighter with White Mage support, Edea Monk with Misc for now, Agnes as a Thief with White Magic (White Mage for the Beelz fights) and Ringa as a Black Mage with White Magic.

What difficulty are you playing with? I tried Beelzebub at Level 15 or so and got slaughtered, though I didn't know the fight at all before trying it. But I'm playing on Hard mode.

Currently going up against the Merchant myself, at Level 21, but they're causing me troubles, especially as I'm working to steal from both of them (Khent carries Mythril Plate!). The Merchant ability deals 300 damage per hit (and he uses Default/Brave to hit twice with it) and apparently can't be mitigated. :(

NeoCracker
02-09-2014, 07:38 PM
I was 19 when I took him down on hard mode.

Turns 1-3: Default/group heal.
Turn 4: Unleash phsycial barrage, and lighting (I had the lighting empowering rod equiped.)
Turn 5: Normal attacks/Heal.
Turn 6: Default
Turn 7: Default/Heal
Turn 8: Default to defend from Acid Breath and not die.

Unless you are unlucky and he clocks your healer turn 7, your group should survive the Acid Breath, and it's just repeating that pattern. Having a couple people that can heal helps. :p

Just know his third attack after Gluttony is always the Acid Breath, and he's not to bad.

And the Merchant and Jackel weren't so bad for me, just make sure to have a dedicated healer, a second person to back up the healing, and kill the Merc as fast as possible. Make sure your equipment is up to date as well, I fucked that up the first time and my Knight was hitting him for virtually no damage. :p

I just cleared out the Wind Shrine, and I must say that while I'm loving this game, there are some problems.

Mostly I find both Tiz and Agnes to be really bland characters. They aren't bad, just eh. And I like Ragna, but he hits that 'I like the ladies' joke way to much, it get's old pretty fast. So far the characterization any all the characters isn't really all that great, though not bad by any means.

Enjoying the fuck out of the game though, dont' get me wrong. :p

Skyblade
02-10-2014, 05:40 AM
Ringabel is actually my least favorite character so far. He hits the "lady's man" thing way too often. He is far better when he is being serious. Edea is my favorite, I just really like her personality. I actually like both Tiz and Agnès. They are simple, yes. But they aren't shallow. They sort of ground the game for me. I wouldn't want to play without them.

Knuckle Lore is overpowered, as it basically lets you ignore weapon shops for physical attackers. Even if it does cost your passive ability slot (when do we start to get more of those?!).

Right now, the game's biggest flaw is its linearity. There's a huge, expansive world, but you have to go here and do this. Even if there are other places to explore, you'll get told "there's nothing to do here, let's go back to our task". It's frustrating. Let me explore, dangit!

Vermachtnis
02-10-2014, 06:21 AM
"To help you remain tranquil in the face of almost certain death, smooth jazz will be deployed in 3...2...1..." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiXfl0EIvxw) Edea has the best special music.

Knuckle Lore is overpowered, as it basically lets you ignore weapon shops for physical attackers. Even if it does cost your passive ability slot (when do we start to get more of those?!).

I know, right? The demo had me thinking we'd have five of those right away. Of course I was also thinking those were the first classes of the game too.

maybee
02-10-2014, 07:13 AM
Ringabel is actually my least favorite character so far. He hits the "lady's man" thing way too often.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxmzl9uH971r4tlx4o3_250.gif

I respect your opinion, but one of the ten commandments is thou shall love Ringabel, remember that. :|

Fynn
02-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Honestly, I love all the characters equally. Like Skyblade said, Tiz and Agnés are simple but I wouldn't really call them bland. They have simple motivations, but have their own set of quirks. Seriously, if you're looking for bland protagonists look no further than The Last Story. Ringabel is great in that I really find his story intriguing and I really find his banter with the others entertaining, and I don't usually like the ladykiller characters. Edea is awesome in more ways than one, but to say what the number 1 reason I like her is would probably be a spoiler, so I'll probably end that here :D

What I really love about the characters of this game is that all four of them are the protagonist. Yes, we start with Tiz, but this is not more his story than the story of the others. The way they're all equally important really reminds me of FFVI, which is always a good thing :)

Dat Matt
02-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Even if it does cost your passive ability slot (when do we start to get more of those?!).

You get one extra slot after you awaken each crystal, going to a total of 5

NeoCracker
02-11-2014, 12:06 AM
Took me two tries to nab teh Red Mage Asterik on Hard, the fist time I lost cause I ddin't know i was going into a fight and wasn't fully battle-prepped for it. Second time It took quite a while to take that fucker down. That damned dread status effect is a beast.

Skyblade
02-11-2014, 11:08 PM
I think it's too early to have a spoilleriffic thread on Jobs in general, but I needed to point this out somewhere, it's been bugging me.

Does anyone else think that the Time Mage outfit looks a great deal like the traditional ceremonial garb of the Time Lords from Doctor Who?

Nicolas
02-12-2014, 05:19 PM
I'm liking this game quite a bit so far, though only at chapter 1. Even on normal the game is quite tough. I'm having to actually grind for levels just to get through it.

Fynn
02-14-2014, 08:00 AM
I think it's too early to have a spoilleriffic thread on Jobs in general, but I needed to point this out somewhere, it's been bugging me.

Does anyone else think that the Time Mage outfit looks a great deal like the traditional ceremonial garb of the Time Lords from Doctor Who?

I've never really watched Doctor Who, but if what you say is true, then I appreciate the design of this job more. Until now, I just thought it looked incredibly stupid, but if this is indeed a reference, then kudos to the designer.

NeoCracker
02-14-2014, 08:22 AM
Reference or no, the design is awful looking. :p

Fynn
02-14-2014, 09:43 AM
Like the Arcanist on males. The Conjurer, however, probably has my favorite design on Agnès.

Skyblade
02-14-2014, 02:02 PM

I've never really watched Doctor Who, but if what you say is true, then I appreciate the design of this job more. Until now, I just thought it looked incredibly stupid, but if this is indeed a reference, then kudos to the designer.

There we go. Ok, so note the similarity of the primary lines of the outfits. Both feature two semi-circles, one above the head facing down, and one around the shoulders facing up. There's also a circular shape at the top center of the upper half-circle (the cutout on the Time Lord outfit, or the circular cylinder on the Time Mage outfit). And, of course, both wear skull caps covering the hair.

Since my characters first got this job, I was puzzling over why it looked familiar to me. But once I made the connection, I started laughing. I agree that it isn't necessarily the best design. But the similarity is enough for me to overlook that, especially since Time Mages have never had the best design.

Fynn
02-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Although, the only thing I heard about their inspiration is that the headpiece was supposed to resemble a clock face. The designs do look similar, so I guess they blended the two concepts? It's interesting to wonder if they just came out like because they were inspired by the same thing, or if this is indeed a reference. Basing a time mage's look on a time lord's makes perfect sense, especially considering some of the ridiculously time-bending support abilities of this particular time mage.

Also, on topic, can we talk about how weird the job designs are? I mean, the male monk's got this cool Ashley Riot thing going on, but the female white mage's fur coat and cleavage window? Trashy! And that's not even going into Ringabel as an Arcanist. Behold the black magician onesies!

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131126190228/finalfantasy/images/7/76/BDFF_Ringabel_Magus.png

Dat Matt
02-15-2014, 01:12 AM
http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131224033243/finalfantasy/images/6/66/BDPB_Arcanist.jpg

Fynn
02-15-2014, 06:30 AM
http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131224033243/finalfantasy/images/6/66/BDPB_Arcanist.jpg

The female Arcanists look like Victoria and they look fine. It's that combination of ridiculous clown hat and onesies that makes male Arcanists look positively terrible.

Del Murder
05-27-2014, 05:18 AM
I have just started playing. It's pretty fun. I got my first two jobs...and of course one of them is my least favorite job (Monk), but it's still better than Freelancer. The Brave/Default system is simple to understand but it adds an interesting dynamic to battles, especially since enemies can do it too.

Also the art style is gorgeous. I love the rendered character models set against the hand-drawn background.

Vyk
05-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Yay you're on board. Don't underestimate the Freelancer though. They get some pretty decent skills early on. Healing and treasure hunting I believe? Though if you're not a completionist and have a dedicated healer its probably not a big deal

Fynn
05-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Yah, Freelancers are pretty awesome.

Del Murder
05-28-2014, 02:02 AM
Yeah I just got Ringabel so I changed Tiz back to Freelancer to learn Treasure Hunter and made Ring the monk.

Fynn
05-28-2014, 04:27 PM
They gets lots of useful passive skills. Probably the most useful of which is on level 7 or 10, I can't remember now.

SD
05-28-2014, 06:06 PM
lol at the beginning i was annoyed i couldnt give the characters new names and that you couldnt change their looks, as in clothing
so that was like my first opinion

but later on i started to love this game like hell a lot, gurl
this game is gonna be in my family for GENERATIONS

Mirage
05-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Why has nobody ever before let you choose your encounter rate? I loved FF6 and 7 for those abilities, and I kinda like that you had to earn them, but life is going so much faster these days and high encounter rates can quickly turn me off to a great JRPG

FF8 has enc-half and enc-none learnable by Diabolos, FFX has no encounters on randomly dropped armor about halfway in the game, FFX-2 let's you steal charm bangle pretty early in the game (CH2 or 3) and there's also a lure bangle somewhere. FF12 pretty much lets you decide the encounter rate by just not running into monsters, or just running past them, ignoring their aggro.

Fynn
05-28-2014, 07:58 PM

FF8 has enc-half and enc-none learnable by Diabolos, FFX has no encounters on randomly dropped armor about halfway in the game, FFX-2 let's you steal charm bangle pretty early in the game (CH2 or 3) and there's also a lure bangle somewhere. FF12 pretty much lets you decide the encounter rate by just not running into monsters, or just running past them, ignoring their aggro.

But it comes with no effort at all in BD, as Vyk mentioned. The point of this counter-argument...?

Skyblade
05-28-2014, 08:50 PM
lol at the beginning i was annoyed i couldnt give the characters new names and that you couldnt change their looks, as in clothing
so that was like my first opinion

but later on i started to love this game like hell a lot, gurl
this game is gonna be in my family for GENERATIONS

Later on you also can change names.

Mirage
05-28-2014, 09:09 PM

But it comes with no effort at all in BD, as Vyk mentioned. The point of this counter-argument...?

He mentioned FF6 and FF7 too, and it does not come with no effort in those games.

Fynn
05-28-2014, 09:13 PM
And that is exactly what he stated.

Skyblade
05-28-2014, 09:14 PM
And that is exactly what he stated.

He stated that he liked the idea of earning Encounter None, and wondered why more games didn't have features like that. Mirage was just pointing out that almost all of the Final Fantasy games since have had similar features.

Though none have done it as well as Bravely Default.

Mirage
05-28-2014, 09:22 PM
I'll agree that I think they should be earnable earlier in the game sometimes. Half encounter rate should be possible to get within the first few hours, I guess.

Skyblade
05-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Honestly, I don't think it should be earnable. Having too high of an encounter rate can demolish a game. It's why I stopped playing the DS version of FFIII. It's a convenience and customization feature. Some people like playing to enjoy the story and bosses. Let them do that. Others like playing low level challenge runs. Let them do that. Why is there a need to earn it? Let people play how they want to play.

Vyk
05-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Exactly. Flynn got what I was saying. Sorry for being confusing. I know a lot of games had the option, and it comes late in the game. I mentioned that I liked that it was earnable back then, because back then, I had spare time and didn't mind grinding for the sake of accomplishment. It did mean something. But I can't do that anymore. And now that there is a JRPG that lets you manually set what encounter rate you want right out of the gate, I had to wonder why that has never been done before. It's one step away from being a perfect idea. If there was a way to also counter-balance the XP and Gold you'd earn so changing the encounter rate didn't cripple you, and you could play the whole game with whatever rate you want, that would be fantastic

Mirage
05-29-2014, 12:03 AM
So you want what in non-RPGs would be a difficulty setting, perhaps?

Del Murder
05-29-2014, 12:32 AM
Honestly, I don't think it should be earnable. Having too high of an encounter rate can demolish a game. It's why I stopped playing the DS version of FFIII. It's a convenience and customization feature. Some people like playing to enjoy the story and bosses. Let them do that. Others like playing low level challenge runs. Let them do that. Why is there a need to earn it? Let people play how they want to play.
I agree. Modern RPGs typically show the enemies on screen so that you can avoid the encounter relatively easily (Xenoblade, Last Story, Dragon Quest) so 'traditional' RPGs with truly random encounters should have some kind of comparable mechanism.

Mirage
05-29-2014, 02:56 AM
I agree. Modern RPGs typically show the enemies on screen so that you can avoid the encounter relatively easily (Xenoblade, Last Story, Dragon Quest)
And also every Tales game since at least Symphonia, Star Ocean 3 and 4, FF13-2, Persona 3 and 4, and I'm probably still missing a few

Vyk
05-29-2014, 05:20 AM
In Persona, skipping battles didn't hurt too much, because generally having a strategy was way better than having a level. But in every other game, if you get into the habit of skipping too many enemies you become grossly under-leveled. The games are designed to expect you to grind at least a little. Which is understandable, but not always acceptable. If a game has a great story, but the battle mechanics wear on you; it's a pity that the game risks not being enjoyed by half the people who fire it up because they can't take the constant fighting. I've had this happen to many games that people said were excellent and I wouldn't know because I couldn't stomach trudging through all the fighting. Even when you can see enemies on screen. Breaks of the game I guess, but it's just sad..

Del Murder
05-29-2014, 06:25 AM
Just got Edea in my party and she has quickly become my favorite character. Mrgrgr!

Vyk
05-29-2014, 06:41 AM
Haha, I love her mrgrgr. She does that all the time. And it never occurred to me that someone might actually say something like that. Very good voice acting

Fynn
05-29-2014, 07:23 AM
Voice acting - yes.

Voice direction - eh :erm:

Seriously, there's some good talent here, but the way they say things is really hit-or-miss. Take Agnès' voice. She's great until she goes ultra breathy and ultra high-pitched.