PDA

View Full Version : Message Boards

Elskidor
12-12-2013, 03:52 AM
How many message boards do you frequent, or is this your only one? I've racked up a number of accounts hither and thither over the years for all my random interests. Anyone else or do most people here just use Facebook outside of here? I'm not much of a fan of FB unless I'm playing a random FB games like Bingo (Yeah Bingo...I also have a cheesy farming type app I piddle with some times) or trying to contact an old friend.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-12-2013, 03:57 AM
I frequent one other message board. Honestly, I've never had any interest in joining multiple message boards and being a part of multiple online communities. Usually I'll go to one place and just stick with that until it dies.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-12-2013, 03:57 AM

Elskidor
12-12-2013, 04:07 AM
But see..I have an obsession with feet. I can't stop talking about feet sometimes. Somethings must remain a secret until randomly blurted out while drinking, and then quickly forgotten about and never discussed again.

Citizen Bleys
12-12-2013, 04:37 AM
Holy non-sequitor Batman.

Denmark
12-12-2013, 04:38 AM
I browse Reddit, mainly the sports-related subreddits so I can get my news and see comments from a generally more intelligent and interesting userbase than, say, ESPN. I haven't submitted anything to Reddit for like 2 years and I would never call myself a "Redditor". omg atheism fedora euphoric meme

And I use Twitter but that isn't the same B)

Shorty
12-12-2013, 04:57 AM
This one has been the only message board I've seen for years, but I recently started cheating on it with a Fallout message board.

Citizen Bleys
12-12-2013, 04:59 AM
This one has been the only message board I've seen for years, but I recently started cheating on it with a Fallout message board.

Reported!

Elskidor
12-12-2013, 05:20 AM
Oh, this is definitely my main board, but I suppose I'm reporting myself for cheating. I began in a Highlander board years ago, which I keep tabs on every other year or so, but due to death of a franchise there isn't any activity.

I do frequent Tolkien, X-Men and Everquest boards when falling back into that mindset, and some times random ones that sparked my interest while in a TV show marathon or just to meet up with old friends as well. A lot of them I don't even recall the passwords to though. If Final Fantasy ever died out (never!) would the community of EOFF stick together you think?

LocoColt04
12-12-2013, 05:25 AM
You're the other gal.

You know, if we're reporting cheating and such.

Otherwise, yeah, TFF since 2002. There have been some flirtations with other boards here and there for some time although they never last, and our owner recently started up a new site exclusively for FFXIV:ARR and I've been slumming it there a bit lately... but you're my first real fling. ;)

The Man
12-12-2013, 05:26 AM
Freethought Forum (http://freethought-forum.com/forum/) - This and my Facebook feed are my primary sources of news. There are some really knowledgeable people here, including several lawyers and scientists.
The Lifestream (http://thelifestream.net/forums/) - Final Fantasy board focused around the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII. This board has some of the best discussion of Final Fantasy VII and the Compilation on the entire intarwebs. I admin here.
Fool's Gold (http://fools-gold.org/forum/) - My own board. Frankly it's in a terrible state right now and I'm not really sure what to do to clean it up/revive it.

There have been others as well but most of them died or I got bored of posting there. And I guess if last.fm groups count I'm active in some of those as well.

Citizen Bleys
12-12-2013, 05:27 AM
You're the other gal.

You know, if we're reporting cheating and such.

Otherwise, yeah, TFF since 2002. There have been some flirtations with other boards here and there for some time although they never last, and our owner recently started up a new site exclusively for FFXIV:ARR and I've been slumming it there a bit lately... but you're my first real fling. ;)

Leave her for us. You know we're The One.

LocoColt04
12-12-2013, 05:27 AM
Leave her for us. You know we're The One.:doublecolbert:
I... I kinda... run the place :3

Citizen Bleys
12-12-2013, 05:28 AM
Fool's Gold (http://fools-gold.org/forum/) - My own board. Frankly it's in a terrible state right now.[/theman]

But it does have Henry V...

The Man
12-12-2013, 05:33 AM
...who needs to post more please. :smash:

Shlup
12-12-2013, 05:58 AM
I've joined kind of a lot of message boards over the years, but this is the only one I've stuck with for more than probably a couple weeks. I'm active on a few subreddits though.

Aulayna
12-12-2013, 05:58 AM
I was involved in a couple of other FF boards around the early-mid 00s, as well as a fair few Zelda ones before eventually falling out of them in favour of LiveJournal and eventually Facebook. These days though, forum wise, it's just EoFF. Well apart from the official WoW and XIV message boards.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-12-2013, 05:59 AM
This is the only forum I'm currently active at.

Around the time I joined this forum I regulared a forum based on the Scream movies. It seems to be long defunct, as I can't find any info on past members and I don't remember the url.

I've also posted on Gaia Online. I met a few cool people there who I still keep in touch with to this day, but it wasn't really fulfilling. You posted a thread, would get laughed at, and a few minutes later it would already be pushed off the front page due to the high traffic. Just wasn't worth it. The only people with staying power there are scene kids that spam selfies.

Elskidor
12-12-2013, 06:08 AM
Around the time I joined this forum I regulared a forum based on the Scream movies.

I love SCREAM movies. Well, the first one I thought was a damn masterpiece. I figure they're fans probably woulda died out years ago. Makes me wanna re-watch the original though.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-12-2013, 06:12 AM
In all actuality, this is the only forum I have ever been continuously active in.

Except for Blootix, which was just some of us eoffers that went there and were more crude. I miss G SpOtZ. I was disappointed when it suddenly closed.

But yeah. I belong here. But on the fringes, not usually posting. I mean, 2000 posts in 8 1/2 years is a nice pace of posting I think.

Ayen
12-12-2013, 06:53 AM
I frequent six other forums at the moment, but EoFF has taken priority -gives EoFF a rose-

Shauna
12-12-2013, 09:50 AM
I have dipped in and out of many forums throughout the years, but this is the only one that's actually still moderately active. Go you guys for never letting this place die.

Pike
12-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Wow I haven't heard the term "message board" in years.

When it comes to forums there are a lot of others that I used to browse a lot but the majority of them have fallen by the wayside.

As for what's left...

I do pop up on the TES side of Bethesda's official forum on occasion. I lurk Something Awful but I never post (I think I have a grand total of 17 posts there! Unlike Mister Adequate who has about 10928570913 posts there.) I also go to the Paradox Interactive forum to nab screenshots for the grand strategy tumblr I run (which has over 400 followers bahaha get in).

I have a horrible confession which is that for years I spent an absurd amount of time on 4chan's /v/. I don't go nearly so much now that we've reached a point where the average age there is about 17 and these peoples' first consoles was the PS2 or something. /vr/ is slightly better but it's a slow board so :gator:

Twitter is probably "my thing", I have like 1300 followers. I have no idea why. Actually I do it's because I used to be a popular blogger but I'm not anymore so I'm expecting all these people to realize that I'm actually boring and bugger off any day now.

Old Manus
12-12-2013, 10:45 AM
I like FG in moderation; I can only take so much filthy commie per year.

Also bring back Aiyon. :wasim:

I have a horrible confession which is that for years I spent an absurd amount of time on 4chan's /v/. I don't go nearly so much now that we've reached a point where the average age there is about 17 and these peoples' first consoles was the PS2 or something. /vr/ is slightly better but it's a slow board so /sp/ remains the best sports board on the internet

The Man
12-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Oh yeah, I post on 4chan occasionally too. Mostly on /mu/.

Sephex
12-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Oh yeah, I post on 4chan occasionally too. Mostly on /mu/.

gtfo pleb

master trole 2017

Minami
12-12-2013, 11:45 AM
This is the only forum i got to now really. There is a Hello!Project one i'll go back to from time to time and i used to own a J rock one but that died a few years ago. these days i mainly stick to twitter and facebook

NeoCracker
12-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Here and occasionally on Myth-Weavers for the PbP RPing as of late. :p

Loony BoB
12-12-2013, 12:34 PM
I've posted in dozens of forums and am probably registered at somewhere between 50 and 100 forums, including those that have died out. I've frequented a handful through the years including the Gamer's Alliance, Aiyon, Something?, CricketWeb, United Rant and probably a few others. The only one I still regularly check is EoFF, though. I still post at others when I need to, such as OcUK, but these are rare occurances.

If you count Facebook, I frequent that.

escobert
12-12-2013, 02:44 PM
this one, a forum for Cichlids Cichlid Forums (http://www.cichlidforums.com/forum.php), my GW2 server Fort Aspenwood (http://www.fort-aspenwood.com/) and the general GW2 forums.

noxious.sunshine
12-12-2013, 02:57 PM
I lurk around TFF and I post on thelifestream.net

I used to post a lit on TFF - I joined them months before I joined EoFF

I like TLS cuz there's no swear filter xD

CimminyCricket
12-12-2013, 03:31 PM
for the most part i only post here and tdf with random posts turning up at other forums here and there at one of the many forums i joined way back when i wanted to be the biggest thing on the internet

Shorty
12-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Oh, I forgot about Aiyon, God Hates Fraggles and omgmygame. But I wasn't a very prominent or active member on any of those boards.

Agent Proto
12-12-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm a member to several other boards besides this one, but EoFF is the only one I frequently post on. The rest? Not so much.

starlet
12-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Other boards? aint nobody got time fo dat

Calliope
12-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Wait, there are message boards other than this one?

Jiro
12-13-2013, 04:33 AM
I miss omgmygame a bit, that was fun. I've been a member at maybe a dozen different places but only EoFF has a jiro smiley so I can't very well go anywhere else.

Yamaneko
12-13-2013, 07:06 AM
Wait, there are message boards other than this one?
R.I.P. AftM

Calliope
12-13-2013, 07:07 AM
omg!!

see also: The basement

Yamaneko
12-13-2013, 07:18 AM
AftM and FFClassic boards were GOAT forums.

Del Murder
12-13-2013, 07:19 AM
Aiyon?

Yamaneko
12-13-2013, 07:22 AM
:sophia:

Del Murder
12-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Oh! and ASC. Where no one ever found out that I was Batman.

And then there was tGA where I was a painter and also secretly king eestlinc's half brother and BoB was a talking puma or something like that.

And there was Fools Gold...no I don't think I ever posted there.

Yamaneko
12-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Was that BOU's?

Del Murder
12-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Yeah. All the cool kids had their own mb back in the day.

Yamaneko
12-13-2013, 07:29 AM
If we're going down the list then The Chef had a forum which lasted like two months.

The Man
12-13-2013, 07:30 AM
And there was Fools Gold...no I don't think I ever posted there.You have 107 posts on Fool's Gold. :monster:

I remember Chef's place. I think I was an admin there.

I Took the Red Pill
12-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Fool's Gold - My own board. Frankly it's in a terrible state right now and I'm not really sure what to do to clean it up/revive it.Well for starters, ban Sylvie and Follicle and don't let them come back. It seems like you warn and warn and warn until it reaches critical mass and then you ban them and then like 4 months later they come slithering back, like clockwork. My guess as to your thought process is that "some posts are better than no posts," but in this case it really isn't true.

At least when there were only like one or two posts a week I didn't have to wade through a stream of dadaist bulltrout to find them. Grow a pair and ban them for good.

Shauna
12-13-2013, 10:02 AM
I miss omgmygame a bit, that was fun.

I go through phases of kind of wanting it to be around again. xD

Loony BoB
12-13-2013, 10:03 AM
omgmygame still exists, but the domain does not. You have to edit your hosts file in order to see it...

Shauna
12-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Too much effort for something I only have a passing fancy for. xD

Old Manus
12-13-2013, 10:48 AM
omgmygame still exists, but the domain does not. You have to edit your hosts file in order to see it...Tell me more...

The Man
12-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Fool's Gold - My own board. Frankly it's in a terrible state right now and I'm not really sure what to do to clean it up/revive it.Well for starters, ban Sylvie and Follicle and don't let them come back. It seems like you warn and warn and warn until it reaches critical mass and then you ban them and then like 4 months later they come slithering back, like clockwork. My guess as to your thought process is that "some posts are better than no posts," but in this case it really isn't true.

At least when there were only like one or two posts a week I didn't have to wade through a stream of dadaist bulltrout to find them. Grow a pair and ban them for good.It's not just that; it's also that usually when they come back after a long ban they're not as stupid as they were when they got banned. Sylvie actually was posting comprehensible posts for the first week or so that he was unbanned, for example. Unfortunately both of them quickly revert back to their old ways.

I probably will give them a final warning and then just permaban them when they inevitably disregard it.

Sephex
12-13-2013, 11:27 AM

At least when there were only like one or two posts a week I didn't have to wade through a stream of dadaist bulltrout to find them. Grow a pair and ban them for good.It's not just that; it's also that usually when they come back after a long ban they're not as stupid as they were when they got banned. Sylvie actually was posting comprehensible posts for the first week or so that he was unbanned, for example. Unfortunately both of them quickly revert back to their old ways.

I probably will give them a final warning and then just permaban them when they inevitably disregard it.

On the subject, and I am not talking about those two users that were mentioned, but the reason why my IRL friends/family stopped posting, as well as a couple of other people is because the place eventually became the internet tough guy forum. Personally, it didn't bug me that much at time, and as you know I am all for horsing around and people ****ing with each other, but it came to the point where all you had to do is say "I went to the store today" and before you knew it someone was down your throat and went way past the point of just joking around.

To be fair, one my friends was more hypersensitive and should have handled herself better, but I guess the main issue is that lines were very often crossed and the community became way too mean spirited. The whole LOL INTERNET HATE MACHINE thing can be funny, but if you constantly have someone on your ass, it gets old real quick.

Sorry for kind of ranting there, (the) man. For the record I had tons of fun at your forum back then and I don't have any issue with you. If anything, I am glad you are around these parts again. I was just offering some insight on what I feel went wrong with the place. So....

TL;DR: The more lax attitude of the forum was really fun at first, but members who got way too mean spirited over the silliest things basically made a lot of people stop posting.

:monster:

The Man
12-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Yeah, we were probably way too lax about trolling. These days people tend not to be such dicks for the most part; there's an unfortunate amount of shitposting though

You should come back. The more people who aren't shitposters are posting there, the less percentage of the board will be made up of shitposting.

escobert
12-13-2013, 02:33 PM
The above statements are why I don;t ever go back to FG. No fun being at a place where everyone treats you like a piece of shit. I get that enough here without the direct "you're stupid I hate you go away"

The Man
01-17-2014, 07:31 AM

At least when there were only like one or two posts a week I didn't have to wade through a stream of dadaist bulltrout to find them. Grow a pair and ban them for good.

They're both banned again, by the way. It probably will stick this time; I'm too fed up with Sylvie's inevitable temper tantrums when we enforce the rules.

Psychotic
01-17-2014, 07:41 AM
Random Foolishness, bel; and Magical Fried Hamsters will always remain the best EoFF spin off boards.

Also while this Fool's Gold (remember when I was an admin? that was the best) business is nice and all, we're not interested in bringing drama from other forums here folks. Just a precautionary heads up.

Shiny
01-17-2014, 07:44 AM
Fool's Gold is a place I went to 8 years ago as a lurker and I think I might have actually made an account so I can lurk more thoroughly. I remember going in to the picture thread and seeing a bunch of pictures of Slyvie and Dixie with really overblown photos that looked like they were circa 1994. It was strange.

Old Manus
01-17-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm not going back to FG until I'm Pravda again.

The Man
01-17-2014, 09:33 AM
No one's Pravda anymore because I finally accepted that there will probably never actually be a front site. I can rename the groups though if you'd like.