PDA

View Full Version : What was your first Final Fantasy?

Scotty_ffgamer
12-12-2013, 07:54 PM
I imagine that here at a Final Fantasy fan forum, the first Final Fantasy any of us have played will probably always hold a special place in our hearts.

What was your first Final Fantasy, and what are some of your best memories from playing that game which won you over to the series?

CimminyCricket
12-12-2013, 08:32 PM
my first ff was final fantasy 2 (na release so it was technically 4) after that i played the final fantasy legend games for the gb then it was ff7 because my dad thought it'd be cool for me to become a horrible student

Elskidor
12-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Final Fantasy IV followed by VI and then Mystic Quest.

Ayen
12-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Final Fantasy VII was the first game in the series I played, the first RPG I ever played and the first Square game I ever played. There were a lot of firsts going on there.

My brother rented it from Blockbuster (remember Blockbuster?) and played it a bit and as I always did back then, I watched. While he was at work I would play it and what really stuck out to me was the whole beginning with planting the bomb. I just love that mission and the mission that came after it. I would have (and still would) buy an Avalanche spin-off game if it had the crew from the beginning in it. I used to play out that scene with my Pokemon action figures. I also really liked Jessie. The stuff in the train at the start was nice too.

I was so sad when they died.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-12-2013, 09:14 PM
My first, which I've mentioned multiple times and made a long blog post about, was VIII. I got into it in very similar fashion to you, ToriJ. Rather than renting it, my brother got it for his birthday, and I watched him play it through to the end of the Dollet mission. I was hooked and just took over his save file because he didn't really care much about RPGs. It's one of my favorite bonding memories with my brother, though. We were both super pumped with the beginning of the game and I'm pretty sure we were shouting cheers in the scene when Quistis starts shooting the giant spider thing with the machine gun, haha.

Aquarian
12-12-2013, 10:17 PM
My first was VIII. However, I really wanted VII... but I was so "young" I had no idea that VII was 7 in roman numerals and asked for "Final Fantasy VLLLL".

Roman Numerals: 1
Me: 0

Gamblet
12-12-2013, 10:33 PM
First FF I played was VIII. Best memory of it was that I did not know how to abuse the Junction system, the game was a lot more fun that way.

Ayen
12-12-2013, 10:40 PM
My first, which I've mentioned multiple times and made a long blog post about, was VIII. I got into it in very similar fashion to you, ToriJ. Rather than renting it, my brother got it for his birthday, and I watched him play it through to the end of the Dollet mission. I was hooked and just took over his save file because he didn't really care much about RPGs. It's one of my favorite bonding memories with my brother, though. We were both super pumped with the beginning of the game and I'm pretty sure we were shouting cheers in the scene when Quistis starts shooting the giant spider thing with the machine gun, haha.

Hooray for brothers who get bored of things quickly so it passes down to you. -raise glass-

Shauna
12-12-2013, 10:46 PM
The first one I played properly was FFX. I fell in love, you could say.

My first exposure to FF was FF8, my uncle used to turn monsters into cards and play Triple Triad a lot.

black orb
12-13-2013, 02:43 AM
>>> FF1 and Mystic Quest..:luca:

Shorty
12-13-2013, 02:48 AM
FFVIII :jess:

AssassinDX
12-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Mystic Quest. I remember really enjoying the fact that battles weren't random.

maybee
12-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Final Fantasy VII

Not very original.

Psychotic
12-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Final Fantasy VII

Not very original.Yep, same. ...I can't even make my post original!

Pike
12-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Oh goodness I don't know. FFVI I think? I didn't actually play much of it at the time, and got into it much more properly when I replayed it years later. So not a lot of nostalgia here from me.

My first SE game in general was Super Mario RPG and THAT gets the nostalgia flowing. :love:

Jowy
12-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Final Fantasy IV! All four saves from the Phar-Mor rental cart were at the Sealed Cave and I had no idea what the fuck was going on. Then I discovered the "new game" button and fell in love.

Pumpkin
12-19-2013, 04:01 AM
The first was technically FFVIII. I was very little and I didn't even finish the fire cavern. The game very much confused me.

Then, 4 or 5 years later, for the Christmas after I moved back in with my mom's ex and she left me and he wanted to make me feel better, he bought a PS2 and Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, and X for me. I played IX first and I loved it and it is still my favorite game ever.

Spooniest
12-19-2013, 05:03 AM

*cries*

*hides*

TrollHunter
12-19-2013, 05:45 AM
I think... I honestly think it was 10-2. I rented it randomly one weekend.
Why the smurf did I think it was a good idea to explore more of the franchise after that?

Freya
12-19-2013, 05:56 AM
My first experience with an FF was VIII but my first game I actually played and put the effort into was FFIX, then X.

Madonna
12-20-2013, 10:28 AM
IV and Mystic Quest were both my firsts; they both were for rent from the local convenience store when I was a wee one. They instilled a love for the similar kind of worlds they built, with lore and monsters that sort of tied the two together, and thereafter my siblings and I desired more of it. Plus, the music was grand.

It is nice to see the exposure of Final Fantasy has been pretty widespread through the age groups and somehow it all got us together in one forum.

My brother rented it from Blockbuster (remember Blockbuster?) and played it a bit and as I always did back then, I watched. While he was at work I would play it and what really stuck out to me was the whole beginning with planting the bomb. I just love that mission and the mission that came after it. I would have (and still would) buy an Avalanche spin-off game if it had the crew from the beginning in it. I used to play out that scene with my Pokemon action figures. I also really liked Jessie. The stuff in the train at the start was nice too.
I really associate with the brother thing; when us kids played a Final Fantasy game, we all did a lot of watching each other, throwing out suggestions and information, and it was a huge collaborative, family-based effort. Then one day, we all grew up and played our own games really secretively...

Final Fantasy IV! All four saves from the Phar-Mor rental cart were at the Sealed Cave and I had no idea what the smurf was going on. Then I discovered the "new game" button and fell in love.
A thousand times yes. Oh, I knew there was a new game, but look at these games; these guys are so far ahead and with all these different characters. Where are they? How did they get there? Why do they immediately lose and die in this cave? Playing a rented game's saved files for a short while was always a treat because it teased me with the knowledge that even cooler things were to come.

Ayen
12-20-2013, 12:52 PM
You can play a game secretively?

Niale
12-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Final Fantasy 10. But i only tried it at a friend.
The real Final Fantasy i beat was FF7.

Pike
12-24-2013, 09:05 AM

*cries*

*hides*

What's wrong with 4 as your first bro? That's like half the thread. It's a good game, too.

Jiro
12-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Probably VII but I'm not entirely certain :monster: Rented it like a dozen times from the damn video store

Carl the Llama
12-29-2013, 01:06 AM
Final Fantasy VII, I remember back in 97 back when I was in School, I saw this picture of Cloud with his massive Buster Sword and thinking "Wow.... I really wanna play that" so as Christmas was around the corner I asked for it and BAM! I got it... took me over a year to complete it, then after that came VIII and I was convinced it was sooo much cooler then VII at the time (you know that feeling you get when your young and impressionable, you think the game that you are currently playing is way better then the previous one) but after I completed it I was kinda meh and it seemed to happen that way with all the other FF games that came out.

Of course since then I have played at least 1 version of every numbered entry that has been made, most of them on the PSone.

The Captain
12-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Final Fantasy III (VI) on the SNES. I had already played Secret of Mana and was interested to see what else Squaresoft was making so I got this game for my birthday and was instantly hooked. I loved the scope of the story and the wide variety of characters. I remember spending way too much time wandering the world map, trying to figure out where to go with Sabin during his solo quest and being blown away by the Opera sequence the first time it happened.

It made me a lifelong fan.

Take care all.

Spooniest
12-30-2013, 10:27 PM

*cries*

*hides*

What's wrong with 4 as your first bro? That's like half the thread. It's a good game, too.

The massive numbers of the FF7 fandom scares me.

Seriously, though, I'm simply making reference to a certain spoony fellow who tends to cry and hide a lot.

Carl the Llama
12-30-2013, 10:36 PM

*cries*

*hides*

Seriously, though, I'm simply making reference to a certain spoony fellow who tends to cry and hide a lot.

As one of those FFVII fans I can say you have nothing to worry about, I may consider VII my favourite, but I still love all the other final fantasy games I've played.

YOU SPOONY BARD!

Shorty
12-30-2013, 11:12 PM

*cries*

*hides*

I've never understood the mass appeal that VII has. Maybe it was ahead of its time or something, maybe it's because I never finished it. I never found it truly remarkable as I did with my first playthrough of VIII.

Rhi
01-03-2014, 12:24 AM
I first watched my brother play FF VII, but he got stuck at the Chocobo ranch, couldn't cross the swamp. He later bought IX when it came out and I watched him play it all the time, then I started playing it myself, so it was my first Final Fantasy really. I remember all the time I spent with my brother, and how much I loved the world and got so immersed in it.

Spooniest
01-03-2014, 03:37 AM

*cries*

*hides*

I've never understood the mass appeal that VII has. Maybe it was ahead of its time or something, maybe it's because I never finished it. I never found it truly remarkable as I did with my first playthrough of VIII.

It was kind of a perfect storm of hype and drama, what with Square leaving Nintendo for Sony's camp and with the way FF6 (or 3, as it was then known) had gotten everybody's expectations running hot.

Elskidor
01-03-2014, 04:07 AM
My expectations of it after VI has probably altered my opinion forever on it. I do like it, but I've never understood the hype.

Carl the Llama
01-03-2014, 10:41 AM
My expectations of it after VI has probably altered my opinion forever on it. I do like it, but I've never understood the hype.

I feel the exact same way about VI tbh, never understood why so many people love it so.

Ayen
01-03-2014, 10:16 PM
VII was the first game in the franchise to go from 16 bit graphics to full 3D of what we had available at the time, combined with being the first RPG a lot of people played it was always destined to be huge one way or another. I'm also pretty sure that was around the time anime was still pretty hot in America and a lot of the FF games share plenty of elements with your average Japanese anime.

VI probably shared some contribution as well since going from one hot Final Fantasy game to another is good business.

Shaibana
02-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Final fantasy X

i remember standing in the store with 2 final fantasy's in my hand, not being able to pick one.
im very picky if it comes to games becaus im always afraid ill get dissapointed.

a guy saw me doubting and he came up to me and he gave me advice etc, and told me more about the game.
so i bought the one he recomended ^^

i never finished this game becaus i got stuck at a boss, neve really atempted to get through that boss. and then i sold my ps2 :(

i had no clue how to play Blitzball

luckely i can play the game a again on the 21st of march :D

Bubba
02-03-2014, 03:18 PM
I got caught up in the marketing campaign for FFVII so that ended up being my first. I remember when FFVI came out for the SNES though and remember it got 95% in Super Play magazine. Being a child though, I couldn't afford to buy the game myself. I really wish I could go back en experience that game as a kid. It would have blown me away more than FFVII, I reckon.

magemasher
02-03-2014, 07:38 PM
FF9. I could never afford to buy the game so I used to rent it (with my pocket money) every Friday to Tuesday from Blockbuster for about 6 months. Such an expensive way of doing it but I didn't care the game took over my life, 14 years on I still play it every other summer and 2014 is FF9 year ooooh yeah.

Electroshock Therapy
02-07-2014, 01:05 AM
My first was X. I'm surprised I even finished it as I usually didn't have the patience for RPGs. Although after I beat X, and loved every minute of it, I couldn't touch another RPG for another few years.

Ayen
02-07-2014, 01:23 AM
My first was X. I'm surprised I even finished it as I usually didn't have the patience for RPGs. Although after I beat X, and loved every minute of it, I couldn't touch another RPG for another few years.

I was so captivated by the story in X when I got stuck on a part I just inserted cheats so I could get past it and enjoy the rest of the story.

The game got back at me with the Bahamut temple.