PDA

View Full Version : Superbosses

Aquarian
12-12-2013, 10:45 PM
I love superbosses! Ever since Omega and Shinryuu on Final Fantasy V we have been given these magnificent monsters that will make you sorry you ever even tried to slay them. But what are your thoughts and feelings towards them?

Which would you say is the most difficult? And which the most simple?

But most of all, do you like such additional challenges?

Ayen
12-12-2013, 10:49 PM
I only ever really encountered the superbosses on VII. And of those Ruby and Emerald Weapon were the hardest with Ultimate being the easiest. I like the additional challenges despite how they make me want to throw my controller across the room.

Flying Mullet
12-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Does this mean the regular bosses in the game are MediocreBosses?

Elskidor
12-12-2013, 11:15 PM
I guess I'm not that hardcore because I never made myself beat all of them. Some times I'd take 1 or 2 of them out on a game, but they were never a "must do". The last time I tried one was on XII, in which I got frustrated with and gave up after the second or third attempt.

Karifean
12-13-2013, 12:02 AM
I love superbosses too! They're typically the culmination of a good combat system in FF games. I beat a lot of them although there's still some unfinished business here and there.

My three favorite superbosses are all from FFX-2, go figure. Chac (non-Oversoul), Major Numerus and Strongest Shinra.

Chac is awesome because if you try to go at her with conventional strategies, you will DIE. Even if you know what you're in for - you will just DIE. There's not much to know about her anyway, her AI is a simple pattern. But her three attacks all require you to counter them specifically and not just overlook them. It was really fun trying to think of ways to beat her.

Major Numerus is HARD. I have little more to say about him. A boss who, on his second turn, uses an attack that ignores your defense and hits the entire party for 19000 damage? Hellish. Especially trying to fight him with YRP without Invincibility, or even without Mascot. It was quite a fun challenge though and I still can't believe I did it.

Shinra, finally, is my favorite. He's very hard (although Numerus is on a different level), intimidating, well-built-up and has a variety of attacks. His high defense means you have to think about how to tackle him rather than just brute-forcing him. His Auto-Regen means that you have to keep up the pressure at all times and not play for time. He has a simple pattern, but his attacks keep you on your toes and require you to strategize around them. Even then, if you go at him without Iron Dukes with just YRP, he's very tough. Plus, you can put him in your party after you beat him, which is fucking awesome.

Those three are great. Sadly, the series has a lot of superbosses I don't care for at all, too. Penance, Trema and Yiazmat are all mainly a matter of patience and endurance rather than a quick but challenging test of how well you know to use the combat system's quirks to their full potential. Because that's what superbosses are to me - a challenge where you have to use your knowledge of the battle system to its fullest to overcome it.

Botchmun
12-13-2013, 12:49 AM
Culex is the best superboss. And by Culex I mean Culex in Super Mario RPG. Yeah, he counts and this post in this thread is legit 'cuz its a final fantasy hidden boss in a non-final fantasy game! He always gives me trouble, ALWAYS. I got to a point where I don't have to sweat smithy but I still sweat Culex, he makes me sweat and panic even when I know I shouldn't have trouble with him. He's my favorite super-boss by far.

Shorty
12-13-2013, 02:45 AM
Ultima and Omega Weapons (in FFVIII) are smurfing beasts of a superboss and they are brilliant. I love superbosses because it seems to me that "regular" bosses are not inherently challenging, they typically just take a long time to battle because of their hit points. The Weapons will straight up wreck your trout. I love fights in which I have absolutely zero hope whatsoever of winning and am holding on for dear life the entire time because it makes winning them so much more satisfying.

I seem to remember somehow thinking that Ultima Weapon in the Deep Sea Research Center was horrifically more difficult to beat than Omega Weapon in Ultimecia's castle despite the fact that their health points differ by literally a million points, but perhaps I have mixed the two of them up.

black orb
12-13-2013, 02:48 AM
But what are your thoughts and feelings towards them?
>>> They are a total waste of time, but still go through all the struggle and beat them..:luca:

Scotty_ffgamer
12-13-2013, 03:25 AM
The only ones I've really ever dealt with are Ultima and Omega in FFVIII. Oh, I do think I beat a superboss or two in X-2 as well. I had a lot of fun with those just because I loved the battle system. I honestly can't remember anything about them, though.

Ultima was probably harder in VIII, but I had all of my characters leveled to 100 and didn't protect against death the one time I went against Omega. He used LVL5 Death (or whatever it was called) and killed everyone. I just decided it wasn't worth it in that moment.