PDA

View Full Version : Spaghetti

Agent Proto
12-13-2013, 01:48 AM
I love me some spaghetti, but I prefer mine served with the sauce on the noodles rather than having it mixed in. It looks so much better this way, imo.

So, how do you like your spaghetti?

Fuzakeru
12-13-2013, 01:55 AM
I like my noodles and sauce mixed with tons of cheese and put on two pieces on white bread with plain, salty potato chips stacked on the sammich.

Slothy
12-13-2013, 01:59 AM
I'm a fan of spaghetti sauce. Less so the noodles since they're really not doing anything other than adding texture and slowly killing me. Which is why I usually skip straight to the sauce mixed with plenty of parmesan instead.

Shorty
12-13-2013, 02:13 AM
Sauce on noodles, not mixed in. Do people mix it in, really? I had never before considered that in my life.

I also dump atleast pound of parmesan cheese on top of my spaghetti. Without parmesan, spaghetti is just sad. #noregrets

Elskidor
12-13-2013, 02:17 AM
Heavy heavy on the highly flavored sauce mixed in with "not so many" noodles with either plenty of meatballs or an entire lb or 2 of meat mixed into the sauce...oh and with garlic bread, and then powdered down with parmesan cheese, and sometimes with a layer of mozzarella melted on top.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-13-2013, 03:13 AM
I do not like parmesan on my spaghetti unless the spaghetti sauce itself doesn't have that great of flavor. My dad makes the best spaghetti (and I've emulated it once to good effect. Usually my spaghetti doesn't taste near as good though).

I like the sauce on the noodles, but it will get mixed in if I have to reheat it in the microwave. Usually I'll just heat the noodles in the microwave and do the sauce on the stove.

Pumpkin
12-13-2013, 03:53 AM
I cook my sauce (usually with ground beef to add meat, and seasonings, whatever) separately, put it on top.... and then mix it all together. Then I put a whole bunch of cheddar cheese on it and mix it together some more. Parmesan smells too strong so even if I like the taste, the smell makes me want to vomit.

Garlic cheese toast (also with cheddar) is awesome as a side.

Shiny
12-13-2013, 08:11 AM
I hate when the sauce is watery. It has to be pretty chunky with fresh tomatoes chopped or sliced in the sauce with a bit of oregano, garlic, and a bit of sugar to take away the tart taste. I prefer it with just the sauce or mixed with Italian sausage. I also like garlic bread on the side with it.

Old Manus
12-13-2013, 09:59 AM
I don't eat spaghetti after that one time it fell out of my pockets when I was in the queue at the supermarket.

Psychotic
12-13-2013, 02:20 PM
I got bored of sauce, truth be told. I now just eat it with cheese mixed in.

noxious.sunshine
12-13-2013, 03:28 PM
I only eat/cook my dad's spaghetti. The sauce simmering for hours, noodles overcooked..

I like putting parmesan on it but my dad hates parm, so i don't do it in front of him. Lol

Later, w leftover sauce, I'll do like my mom does and put it on a hot dog.

fire_of_avalon
12-15-2013, 04:23 AM
Sauce on noodles, not mixed in. Do people mix it in, really? I had never before considered that in my life.

I also dump atleast pound of parmesan cheese on top of my spaghetti. Without parmesan, spaghetti is just sad. #noregrets

Sometimes I wonder if you are a person.

Pike
12-17-2013, 10:36 AM
I prefer spaghetti-o's.

#YOLO

Miriel
12-17-2013, 10:46 AM

I don't even understand what this means. So when you eat pasta, you eat it so that some parts of pasta have sauce on it, and others don't?

I love spaghetti. And oddly enough, I have a weird affinity for the mushy overly cheesy spaghetti they used to serve in school. It's one of my weird crappy food indulgences that I'm forever trying to recreate at home.

Other times though, I get all fancy and make spaghetti like this: Pasta al Pomodoro - Bon Appétit (http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pasta-al-pomodoro)

Calliope
12-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Miriel, I can't speak for Sarah, but when I serve spaghetti, I put the spaghetti on the plate first, and then spoon the arrabbiata sauce on top. I don't like to eat very much pasta at once, so it's a pretty thin layer and when I cut a forkful (yup, not a twirler), I can manage to get a neat forkful with an appropriate amount of sauce on it, while still keeping everything tidy.

I also make "meatballs" out of kidney beans, sprinkle chopped kalamata olives and nutritional yeast flakes over it, and if I have any, I add some fresh basil as well.

Shorty
12-17-2013, 04:50 PM
When I think of "sauce mixed in", I am thinking of a pot of spaghetti that just has sauce dumped in there and... mixed in. Is that how you folks who mix it in do it?

I scoop out a portion of pasta for my plate, and then pour a ladel of sauce over it. So the way Nicky does it.

Calliope
12-17-2013, 05:00 PM
HIPSTER SPAGHETTI DINNER TWINS

Shorty
12-17-2013, 05:01 PM
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/blogs/thenextgreatgeneration/high%20five.jpg

Shauna
12-17-2013, 06:26 PM
I honestly cannot imagine having spaghetti with just sauce. I always have spaghetti bolognaise, what with the mince. xD Ah well.

also why are half you calling spaghetti noodles. noodles are noodles spaghetti is spaghetti ._.

And now spaghetti is no longer a word.

Rantz
12-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Pasta with sauce mixed in and pasta with sauce on the side/on top are basically two different types of meals and they're both good in their own ways. Why do I have to choose? Am I the only one who varies preparation from time to time? :(

Edit:

Later, w leftover sauce, I'll do like my mom does and put it on a hot dog.
This is the weirdest thing but I kinda wanna try it now.

Miriel
12-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Pasta with sauce mixed in and pasta with sauce on the side/on top are basically two different types of meals and they're both good in their own ways. Why do I have to choose? Am I the only one who varies preparation from time to time? :(

Nope, I totally do too! Certain pastas have to be mixed, it's the only way to prepare it. Every pasta I had in Italy had the pasta mixed in with the sauce. For me, it just depends on whether I've made a big batch of pasta or a single portion. If it's a big batch, I'll separate the sauce and the pasta and just top the pasta as I need to when I'm eating it. If it's a single portion, I will mix everything together, along with some pasta water. That's the trick you guys, the magic secret trick to restaurant quality pasta. It's all in the pasta water!

also why are half you calling spaghetti noodles. noodles are noodles spaghetti is spaghetti ._.

Seriously. :p Spaghetti = pasta = noodle.

But for most Americans, when they think spaghetti it's always spaghetti + a tomato sauce. It's how I thought of it growing up, I thought the word spaghetti itself meant specifically a pasta dish with tomato sauce. These days one of my favorite spaghetti dishes is spaghetti primavera: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Classic-Spaghetti-Primavera

Shauna
12-17-2013, 09:00 PM
I will concede that they are the same thing (spag/noodle), but I have legit never heard anyone refer to spaghetti as noodles in my entire life. xD I always find revelations like this interesting in the way we word things differently.

Miriel
12-17-2013, 09:09 PM
I've never heard anyone call pasta noodles until I met Del Murder. To me, noodles has specific Asian connotations. IE: raman noodles.

Rantz
12-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Nope, I totally do too! Certain pastas have to be mixed, it's the only way to prepare it. Every pasta I had in Italy had the pasta mixed in with the sauce. For me, it just depends on whether I've made a big batch of pasta or a single portion. If it's a big batch, I'll separate the sauce and the pasta and just top the pasta as I need to when I'm eating it. If it's a single portion, I will mix everything together, along with some pasta water. That's the trick you guys, the magic secret trick to restaurant quality pasta. It's all in the pasta water!

Yes! Just saving like, a dl (half a cup) of water before you drain it and then mixing it back in makes a big difference.

I probably mix in sauce more often than not, but when I've made the pasta separately, one of my favourite finishes is olive oil and garlic. It makes the whole kitchen smell AMAZING and it tastes so good!

Miriel
12-17-2013, 09:14 PM
I think you and I should host a dinner party Rantz Pantz. We see eye to eye on all the food stuff. :p

Spuuky
12-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Spaghetti, and macaroni, and ravioli, and... well, you could go on for quite a long time listing pasta shapes, but they are all distinct things. If someone says "spaghetti" I am going to assume they mean one specific thing.

Asian "noodles" and Italian "noodles" are all noodles. Ramen is arguably closer to spaghetti than it is to udon, and they certainly aren't soba, etc.

Shauna
12-17-2013, 09:18 PM
I've never heard anyone call pasta noodles until I met Del Murder. To me, noodles has specific Asian connotations. IE: raman noodles.

Yep, same here. I just had a quick google search and spaghetti being the same as noodles was all over the place, so I decided that I'd admit defeat on a point nobody was contesting at this time. I know the internet well enough. :stare:

Rantz
12-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Re: noodles, in daily usage that word just means instant noodles to me, although I've noticed recipes calling any elongated pasta, such as spaghetti or lasagna plates "noodles".

I think you and I should host a dinner party Rantz Pantz. We see eye to eye on all the food stuff. :p

Pretty sure you're 10x the cook I am, but YES!

Shorty
12-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Can confirm that Rantz is an amazing cook and I'm pretty sure I gained like ten pounds from his delicious dishes when I went to Sweden.

Shorty
12-17-2013, 09:38 PM
I don't get what you're confused about :stare:

Calliope
12-18-2013, 01:07 AM
Other times though, I get all fancy and make spaghetti like this: Pasta al Pomodoro - Bon Appétit (http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pasta-al-pomodoro)

I wouldn't call it fancy, but I just made a batch of this and it was pretty good! Certainly much cheaper to make than the stuff we buy and the kind of thing that would go down well if you had last-minute guests or something, too.

Chris
12-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Spaghetti Carbonara.

http://www.husmoderen.dk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Spaghetti-carbonara.jpg

Sephiroth
12-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Spaghetti with Lemon Sauce and Shrimps are a dream for me.

Miriel
12-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Spaghetti with Lemon Sauce and Shrimps are a dream for me.

I prefer linguine for my shrimp scampi pastas, but yeah, lemon + shrimp + pasta = omfg heaven.

Lonely Paper Star
12-19-2013, 07:06 AM
I like my sauce for spaghetti bolognaise/bolognese/however it's spelled a little on the sweet side, with a lot of parmesan cheese on top. My favorite spaghetti dish is carbonara, though.

'Noodles' and the pasta of the skinny, bendy sort were used interchangeably my entire life, no matter if it's Asian or Italian or whatever. I didn't know people separated noodle (the word) usage. D: